Scouts take on Brock Bowers - merged

1 hour ago, Claymation said:

Once again, because it is posted does not make it true.  There are multiple places where it states that he did not work out at the combine

No Combine Workout, choice

https://draftscout.com/dsprofile.php?PlayerId=1666&DraftYear=2002 

At Miami’s Pro Day: Did 16 reps at 225lbs and ran times of 4.57-4.61.

https://www.bigblueinteractive.com/2002/08/20/2002-nfl-draft-review-and-rookie-free-agent-signings/

Jeremy Shockey^ Miami

http://hurricanewarriors.com/canes-at-the-nfl-combines/

3 hours ago, GreenFish said:

At 6-3 241,  Bowers is closer in size to Kyle Juszczyk than he is George Kittle.

We are drafting a FB at #10 overall.

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

His curled back running style does look more like a full back trucking into defenders. 

Which reminds me, we once had a similar sized, 6th round pick, pass catching FB  who was pretty good... Richie Anderson

"I worked very hard at catching," Anderson said. "Then it became very natural for me to catch the football. I took pride in catching the ball as a running back or at tight end, H-back, wide receiver. I played wherever we could get the best matchup for the passing game.

In 2000, he led the running backs in the league with a career-high 88 receptions (franchise record) for 853 yards and 2 touchdowns, while tallying 27 carries for 63 yards. He also helped Martin rush for 1,204 yards. He was named as the American Football Conference starting fullback in the Pro Bowl.[11]

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Jetkwondo said:

His curled back running style does look more like a full back trucking into defenders. 

Which reminds me, we once had a similar sized player who was pretty good

Last time the Jets drafted a FB in the first round was when Mel Kiper was compelled to say that the Jets simply don’t understand what the draft is about. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Once again, because it is posted does not make it true.  There are multiple places where it states that he did not work out at the combine

https://draftscout.com/dsprofile.php?PlayerId=1666&DraftYear=2002 

https://www.bigblueinteractive.com/2002/08/20/2002-nfl-draft-review-and-rookie-free-agent-signings/

http://hurricanewarriors.com/canes-at-the-nfl-combines/

Hurricane warriors.com is unsecured, and the other 2 look like my website designs from 1998.

51 minutes ago, Jetkwondo said:

Which reminds me, we once had a similar sized pass catching FB  who was pretty good

A) He catches way more passes down the field than he does at the LOS

B ) He sidesteps way more defenders than he "trucks" into

22 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

When I research information about the Civil War, I do not complain about outdated websites.

I question their validity, because it looks like the websites haven't been updated in decades.

After his Super Bowl glory of 2000, Collins had to run for his life a year ago with a collapsing offensive line and far too few weapons to throw the ball to. Shockey changes everything. This is the 21st century tight end, the 6-foot-5, 252 pound body, the 4.6-second 40-yard-dash speed, the incredible sense for finding the end zone, the ability to accelerate past linebackers into the open field. "The athleticism of this kid is beyond what people are used to seeing out of that position," Northeastern Oklahoma A&M College coach Dale Patterson said. "He's the new breed of tight end. This is not the old rumbling, stumbling John Mackey."

https://a.espncdn.com/nfl/columns/wojnarowski_adrian/1412322.html

Jeremy Shockey does the 40-yard dash in 4.64 seconds, allowing for wind variance, which can be significant when you are running the football field in flowing white robes and have slippery rose pedals at your feet.

https://nypost.com/2002/07/31/shockey-adds-spark/

Isn't JD the guy who loves testing, loves the RAS, etc.  I'd think that Bowers not doing any of this stuff would have to raise some doubts in JD's mind about using such a high pick as #10.  JD loves his athletic freaks.

I'm pretty firmly in the camp that the Jets will likely Trade Back unless one of the Top 3 WRs or Alt somehow drops to #10.  And, I don't think trading back would be a bad thing at all.  Jets can likely get the WR4, OT3, or even Bowers somewhere in the mid-teens.

5 hours ago, GreenFish said:

At 6-3 241,  Bowers is closer in size to Kyle Juszczyk than he is George Kittle.

We are drafting a FB at #10 overall.

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

Let’s hope not - have to keep the legendary pick that is Roger Vick in tact

27 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

So according to this questionable, numbers wizard, Bowers is projected to do at best 589 yds which is what we already have in Conklin's production for the past 3 years being 593 yds, 552 yds and 621 yds.   

Why would we ever waste a top ten pick for that in an All In Year????

No offense but his stats mean nothing even though they back my argument to not pick Bowers.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Jetkwondo said:

So according to this questionable, numbers wizard, Bowers is projected to do at best 589 yds which is what we already have in Conklin's production for the past 3 years being 593 yds, 552 yds and 621 yds.   

No offense but his stats mean nothing even though they back my argument to not pick Bowers.

It’s an estimate. I think Bowers is a fine pick and checks all of the intangible boxes too

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

What a fun thread! Anybody watch him play?

It has been fun!,

It's like waiting those last few days before Christmas before getting to be overjoyed or disappointed and envious as you compare what you got to those who lived on your street.  IMO Bowers could turn out to be that gift that made you feel somewhat indifferent at first but then over time becomes a big favorite that you can't do without, at least that's what I would hope for if he's our pick. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Jetkwondo said:

He doesn’t have 1 WR projected to go over a 1000 yards in spite of at least 1 rookie receiver eclipsing 1000 every year since 2019.

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Larz said:

Bucky brooks “ He’s got gold jacket traits”

Daniel Jeremiah “elite speed”

Jets fans “wE’Re DraFTinG a fB”

IMG_8883.gif

The year was 2021.

The team was Georgia Tech.

The defense was ranked 110th.

The Yellow Jackets finished 3-9.

Here are all of the players from Georgia Tech that have been drafted into the NFL the past four years:

image.thumb.png.68b944016e518d4f3863c184ab98b4ca.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Georgia_Tech_Yellow_Jackets_in_the_NFL_draft

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

The year was 2021.

The team was Georgia Tech.

The defense was ranked 110th.

The Yellow Jackets finished 3-9.

Here are all of the players from Georgia Tech that have been drafted into the NFL the past four years:

image.thumb.png.68b944016e518d4f3863c184ab98b4ca.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Georgia_Tech_Yellow_Jackets_in_the_NFL_draft

Bucky brooks “ gold jacket traits “

Daniel Jeremiah “ elite speed “

jets fans “ that play doesn’t count “

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Larz said:

Bucky brooks “ gold jacket traits “

Daniel Jeremiah “ elite speed “

jets fans “ that play doesn’t count “

4) Jeff Okudah, CB

School: Ohio State | Year: Junior

Previous rank: 5

Okudah has ideal size, length, twitch and competitiveness for the position. He is very comfortable and effective in both press and off coverage. He is patient in press and very fluid/smooth when he opens up. He does a nice job of staying on top versus vertical routes and he can locate the football down the field. He has the agility to mirror underneath. In off coverage, he explodes out of his plant and he is a dependable open-field tackler. This is a very clean player with a very high floor and ceiling.

https://www.nfl.com/news/daniel-jeremiah-s-top-150-prospects-in-the-2020-nfl-draft-class-0ap3000001110012

image.thumb.png.6e4af4fafe2e694b0df61e60d0df1bf4.png

https://www.nfl.com/news/2021-nfl-draft-bucky-brooks-pick-by-pick-analysis-for-round-1

• WTF? 1

3 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I just saw a list of top 15 NFL WR's and it made me think.

Aaron Rodgers is a top __ QB?

Breece Hall is a top __ RB?

Garrett Wilson is a top __ WR?

Tyler Conklin is a top __ TE?

Just another way of looking at it.

AR: top 10

Hall: top 5

GW: top 10

Conklin: top 20

Difference being I feel AR, Hall and GW are actual weapons. Conklin I don’t see as that. I think his stats were inflated last year bc Lazard flopped. So he was boosted in targets. And we had to throw a lot late in games to play catchup. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Larz said:

Bucky brooks “ He’s got gold jacket traits”

Daniel Jeremiah “elite speed”

Jets fans “wE’Re DraFTinG a fB”

IMG_8883.gif

You can count on one hand the number of times plays like this happen in the NFL in any given season.

When it happens in the NFL it’s typically because of a busted coverage, missed tackle, or poor angle taken by the defender, and not because the WR / player is a “man among boys” type of Superman able to repel enemy advances or run at the speed of light.

Odell has done it a couple times.

Victor Cruz did it once 😕

Ruggs was drafted off tape like this, ran a sub-4.3 40 and was never able to take one slant to the house.

He had no plays that came even close to something like this once he got to the big leagues.

If they take Bowers over the 3 WRs or Fashanu, they are nuts.

• WTF? 1

On 4/21/2024 at 10:15 AM, slats said:

Please list all the 6’3”, 235lb guys who have dominated on offense at the NFL level. 

The Serial Killer was 6’2” and change 245 and ran a 4.64.

I have zero interest in drafting Bowers.

15 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Isn't JD the guy who loves testing, loves the RAS, etc.  I'd think that Bowers not doing any of this stuff would have to raise some doubts in JD's mind about using such a high pick as #10.  JD loves his athletic freaks.

I'm pretty firmly in the camp that the Jets will likely Trade Back unless one of the Top 3 WRs or Alt somehow drops to #10.  And, I don't think trading back would be a bad thing at all.  Jets can get likely get the WR4, OT3, or even Bowers somewhere in the mid-teens.

Providing somebody wants to come up. If they do then he very well may trade beck. Yet, if they are still sticking with the all in for this year concept  maybe they trade up? Gonna be an interesting night Thursday. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

AR: top 10

Hall: top 5

GW: top 10

Conklin: top 20

Difference being I feel AR, Hall and GW are actual weapons. Conklin I don’t see as that. I think his stats were inflated last year bc Lazard flopped. So he was boosted in targets. And we had to throw a lot late in games to play catchup. 

Think you might be selling Conklin short...

And Bowers isn't the only college TE that made ridiculous one handed catches... 

https://www.espn.co.uk/video/clip/_/id/18060189

9 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I just saw a list of top 15 NFL WR's and it made me think.

Aaron Rodgers is a top __ QB?

Breece Hall is a top __ RB?

Garrett Wilson is a top __ WR?

Tyler Conklin is a top __ TE?

Just another way of looking at it.

1. 7 QB
  2. 3 RB
  3. 15 WR, might be a little high but with a capable QB why not.
  4. 20 TE

How did I do?

• slats changed the title to Scouts take on Brock Bowers - merged