Scouts take on Brock Bowers - merged

7 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

What kind of statistic is that?  It appears the Jets are 4th at QB after KC, Buffalo and Baltmore.  How does that happen?

I thought this was funny lol.  My guess on QB is they looked at Rodgers and Taylor not Wilson and Siemian

IMG_8892.jpeg

29 minutes ago, slats said:

He’s also spent the offseason with a hamstring issue. 

I don't see that as the case, he may not have been able to run full out, but I don't think he was hampered in a way that hindered him from working out.

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

What kind of statistic is that?  It appears the Jets are 4th at QB after KC, Buffalo and Baltmore.  How does that happen?

It is the entire roster.   So starter to 3rd string. 

• Upvote 2

Guys like Deebo and Bowers get the ball near the los in space and make 1st downs and big gains.

The 'speed' guys the jets have tried to do this with get thumb tackled or run into their own guys backs other than Breece Hall.

It is a real skill set to get open , even short, catch ball and then do something with it.

To the right team and the right coach Bowers will be a star, to the wrong team with the wrong coach he will be an over drafted TE.

The Colts should be doing anything they can to get Bowers.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Guys like Deebo and Bowers get the ball near the los in space and make 1st downs and big gains.

The 'speed' guys the jets have tried to do this with get thumb tackled or run into their own guys backs other than Breece Hall.

It is a real skill set to get open , even short, catch ball and then do something with it.

To the right team and the right coach Bowers will be a star, to the wrong team with the wrong coach he will be an over drafted TE.

Deebo had one great season, but the legend lives on. Decent early second round pick, for sure, but he’s no Breece Hall. Would’ve sucked at #10 overall. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, slats said:

Deebo had one great season, but the legend lives on. Decent early second round pick, for sure, but he’s no Breece Hall. Would’ve sucked at #10 overall. 

He gets big yac when he plays.  He is for sure worth #10 overall. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

He gets big yac when he plays.  He is for sure worth #10 overall. 

Lol, no, and I’m glad Breece didn’t go #10, either. 

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

The Colts moving up for Bowers has been mentioned, and I've seen a few mocks with Odunze going to the Bears at #9.  I'm not anti-Bowers, but I'd be happier if the Colts jump us by trading with the Bears to get Bowers and Odunze falls to us.

• Upvote 2

I refuse to accept the “Jets need a weapon for Rodgers/they’re going for it all this year” argument when teams above us are holding red light specials on moving up. If they believe that 1. Rodgers needs another guy and 2. Douglas is going YOLO with 10, how does it make sense to sit at 10 for a busted up miniature tight end when you can just move up and grab one of the freak wide receivers that are going to be available between 5 and 10? 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, derp said:

If the move is to get a weapon you’d need to think Bowers is going to need to be significantly better than those guys to justify it. And to be fair, some people seem to feel that way - so I think it explains their perspective.

I’m a little more comfortable grabbing one of those receivers and thinking he needs to be Devonta Smith to justify the pick than Bowers and thinking he needs to be Travis Kelce.

Nabers is can’t miss.  Said the exact same thing about Addison last year.  You can’t coach game speed and acceleration.  Either a wr has it or he doesn’t and those guys have it in bulk plus they got insane hands and route running ability

Or we could draft an undersized tight end just to use him on screen passes

6 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

That chart sealed it for me.

Byron Murphy II should be the pick.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I refuse to accept the “Jets need a weapon for Rodgers/they’re going for it all this year” argument when teams above us are holding red light specials on moving up. If they believe that 1. Rodgers needs another guy and 2. Douglas is going YOLO with 10, how does it make sense to sit at 10 for a busted up miniature tight end when you can just move up and grab one of the freak wide receivers that are going to be available between 5 and 10? 

Because one of Rome or Nabers probably falls to 10

These fast tight end types do well on college because they are too big and fast for kids who are mostly going to work at Walmart after graduation.  

the WRs on the other hand often do not have QBs who can get them the ball, so you don’t know how they are going to do in the NFL.  

that is where we are on Bowers.  No player who looks like Bowers has ever been picked at 10 or has proven worthy of the 10 pick.   He will be good, but not game breaking.  He will move the chains, but the 210 pound 4.4 safeties will prevent him from scoring touchdowns 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

14 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Oh no. I was just joking. What have I done?

Let me pray. Lord Football, please no DL at #10.

Too late! The die has been cast....  He'll probably have to change his # 90 though, so that might be a deal breaker

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

"Never underestimate Joe's ability to eff things up"

2 minutes ago, varjet said:

These fast tight end types do well on college because they are too big and fast for kids who are mostly going to work at Walmart after graduation.  

the WRs on the other hand often do not have QBs who can get them the ball, so you don’t know how they are going to do in the NFL.  

that is where we are on Bowers.  No player who looks like Bowers has ever been picked at 10 or has proven worthy of the 10 pick.   He will be good, but not game breaking.  He will move the chains, but the 210 pound 4.4 safeties will prevent him from scoring touchdowns 

That's my fear as well, which would have been eased had he run something like a 4.4 40 at his new added weight to begin to consider him worthy of the #10 pick... 

I remember watching Blair Thomas rip off consistent 10 yard runs in the Senior Bowl and being fully convinced he would be the next great back for us when we picked him at #2. He then was my first experience of realizing that what great things a player can do in college doesn't always translate to the NFL and why you rarely or never see running backs go that high anymore...

Bowers may turn out to be a game breaking unicorn but that's unknown and IMO WR's or OT's take precedent  at #10.

1 hour ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Nabers is can’t miss.  Said the exact same thing about Addison last year.  You can’t coach game speed and acceleration.  Either a wr has it or he doesn’t and those guys have it in bulk plus they got insane hands and route running ability

Or we could draft an undersized tight end just to use him on screen passes

Yeah you’ve never seen him play. Also it’s impossible for a 21 year old to put on five lbs. Never happens in the NFL. 

You can repeat song this as much as you want it doesn’t become true after six or seven renditions.

You don’t want to draft him because he’s a tight end and would rather a WR or OL, fine, but this sh*t just makes you sound stupid and lazy.

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I agree if we are going for broke with Salad and JD just go trade whatever it takes to get the WR you want.

On the other hand if they are not going for broke and waiting for the board to play out and it plays out wild like Minnesota sitting at 11 and hoping JJ or one of the other top 4 QB’s slips down the board the Jets should waste no time in selecting the QB for life after Rodgers.

The roster is good enough as is no draft IMO if Rodgers still has it.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

I agree if we are going for broke with Salad and JD just go trade whatever it takes to get the WR you want.

On the other hand if they are not going for broke and waiting for the board to play out and it plays out wild like Minnesota sitting at 11 and hoping JJ or one of the other top 4 QB’s slips down the board the Jets should waste no time in selecting the QB for life after Rodgers.

The roster is good enough as is no draft IMO if Rodgers still has it.

Yeah, but they are absolutely going for broke this year. Pretty much every guy on the roster over 28 years old is unsigned for next year. 

Yeah, but they are absolutely going for broke this year. Pretty much every guy on the roster over 28 years old is unsigned for next year. 

And it’d be nice if they add a piece that gives them something to point to on the offensive side of the ball when they’re trying to entice HC and GM candidates after this season.

• Post of the Week 1

We talk about this like it’s a JD thing, but it seems like a league wide thing to me nowadays. No one wants to get tied down with bad contracts, and contracts tend to go bad more often with aging players. I don’t think anyone minds having a handful of guys all in contract years, either. Maybe Lazard would’ve made a little effort last year if he hadn’t been guaranteed $11M this season. Next year he has nothing guaranteed, so I expect to see a little more motivation out of him. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, HessStation said:

The Bears are taking Bowers fyi 

No chance. If that’s coming out of Bears camp, it’s a smokescreen. They have Kmet who is young and talented. He had a good year last year. And Keenan Allen is playing the slot.

An outside WR really puts there weapons over the top. 

Little doubt in my mind they go WR if one of the big 3 is there. The only way they don't go WR is if they prefer one of the D players. 

• slats changed the title to Scouts take on Brock Bowers - merged