ZACH WILSON isn’t on the Jets anymore discussion (merged)

16 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Zach was accurate on short passes. And his drives scored points. Including 7s. I don't see them cutting him esp with guaranteed money. Not sure about Nix being ready. His running skill's impressive, though. Maybe by game 6. But he's probably got a lock on it. 

Both him and Stidham have guaranteed money left, though, so no real financial incentive to keep Zach over Stidham, which leaves it in Payton’s hands and no way is Payton going into the season with Nix and Zach. Maybe they try and stash Zach on the PS, but why would Zach agree to that? At the least, playing “well” in preseason maybe gives the Broncos a shot to recoup a nominal draft pick by trading him somewhere else

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Both him and Stidham have guaranteed money left, though, so no real financial incentive to keep Zach over Stidham, which leaves it in Payton’s hands and no way is Payton going into the season with Nix and Zach. Maybe they try and stash Zach on the PS, but why would Zach agree to that? At the least, playing “well” in preseason maybe gives the Broncos a shot to recoup a nominal draft pick by trading him somewhere else

I think they'll carry 3 QBs incl emergency third QB who only can play if first two are injured. They could carry Nix as emergency QB first few games with Zach as number 2 but prob if they carry 3 that job goes to Zach. If they release Zach and he's picked up on waivers I guess they'd get rid of that 2.75 they owe him. IMO if Zach cut he'll be picked up by some team. Stidham has 1 million left on his deal in guaranteed money plus maybe bonus money per game. 

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Yeah, pretty much. It was good to see him on a bunch of sprint-outs and quick hitters so he could gain some confidence, but then when Payton put him in standard passing sets it was the same old Zach. His biggest problem today is that Nix looked like he could start on Day One, which puts Zach in competition with Stidham for the QB2 spot, and Payton loves Stidham as a dude. Zach’s the odd man out there

I don’t see them giving up on him so soon. It’s possible of course. Makes more sense to see if they can rehabilitate him into a serviceable backup 

• Upvote 1

On 5/29/2024 at 10:25 AM, DoubleDown said:

Zach has a ton of physical talent, but his processor is too slow, and his situational awareness is poor.  The flashes are simply way too few and far between.  It's difficult to find a quarterback who has been as consistently poor from a statistical standpoint with as large of a sample size as Zach.

I feel comfortable saying he will never amount to anything in the NFL.  He's far more likely to be out of the league than even a backup quarterback in 5 years.

Yes.   Spot on

Wilson should have led to the firing of Joe-he has mismanaged the QB every day he has been gm -his record is abysmal as a result of his qb choices-now he tied himself to a 40 year old qb that didnt look good his last year in Green bay is a major distraction and blew out his achilles to boot-

our qb room is going to lead to Joe getting fired after this season 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, kmnj said:

Wilson should have led to the firing of Joe-he has mismanaged the QB every day he has been gm -his record is abysmal as a result of his qb choices-now he tied himself to a 40 year old qb that didnt look good his last year in Green bay is a major distraction and blew out his achilles to boot-

our qb room is going to lead to Joe getting fired after this season 

Zach gets 90% of GMs fired but then again Woody is the real GM

• Haha 2

hard to tell anything from any of these stats.  a quick look shows that nix was dumping a lot of his passes and zach was going down field more..  and the fact that zach had 3 rushes for near zero yards means he was staying in the pocket.  there's still hope for this guy.  he should at least be the no. 2 qb.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, rangerous said:

hard to tell anything from any of these stats.  a quick look shows that nix was dumping a lot of his passes and zach was going down field more..  and the fact that zach had 3 rushes for near zero yards means he was staying in the pocket.  there's still hope for this guy.  he should at least be the no. 2 qb.

No better indicator of future QB success than 3 rushes for zero yards. Good eye. 

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, bicketybam said:

Not true and I'm not going out people

18 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Any chance you’re enjoying this nice weather out by the hot tub with a nice glass of Seagram’s and your forgotten hourly dosage of Lexapro?

Motivation Success GIF by Pudgy Penguins

• Upvote 1

I think BYU has a big play offense and Zach prospered in that but he couldn't adapt to a standard NFL offense. And Jets fans were perplexed when he'd miss easy 5 yard passes regularly. That's the mainstay of an NFL offense check downs etc. But I didn't see that yesterday he did ok and was accurate. As for Zach having another 5 years in the NFL like one fan guessed that would be an 8 year career. 

19 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I think BYU has a big play offense and Zach prospered in that but he couldn't adapt to a standard NFL offense. And Jets fans were perplexed when he'd miss easy 5 yard passes regularly. That's the mainstay of an NFL offense check downs etc. But I didn't see that yesterday he did ok and was accurate. As for Zach having another 5 years in the NFL like one fan guessed that would be an 8 year career. 

Zach's short passing was much improved last season. It was everything else that sucked.

22 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Zach got over the yips last year and was good on short passes.  It was everything else that sucked (namely his OL, WRs outside of GW, and CS)

• Why would Zach play on the Denver PS?  Because he is getting paid anyway, he may think he is getting good coaching and development, and he probably likes Denver/it is close to home.   And it is not unlikely he sees the field in 2024 anyway.
  • Why would Denver keep Zach?   They owe him the $2.5mm, but they can try waiving him to save the money if someone else picks him up.  But given Zach's "arm talent" it is actually possible you can bring him in a game in relief and he could win it with the surprise factor.  He did win some games for the Jets.  Back up could be his very viable future.  
  • Should JD get fired for picking Zach?  He has been able to build one of the NFL's best rosters regardless.   He has done that because he was able to sign AR8, Tryon Smith and Mike Williams for 1/3 of their true market value, allowing them to sign other players.  JD, although a mixed drafter, appears to be improving and is good at finding players on the scrap heap (I have a theory for that I can share in another thread).  In any event, I do think he discussed the pros and cons with Woody, and Woody told him to take the shot because of the value of a rookie QB if he worked out.  He obviously did not work out.  
  • Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

In the 2020 Covid year BYU ended up playing a terrible schedule.  Their average OL was able to protect him to a crazy degree so he could just stand back and chuck it up to average receivers who would make the catch over terrible defenders.  The offense wasn't inherently "big play".

I think Zach just got slammed so much in the first few games of his career when the OL gave him little to no time that his mind just never recovered.  Combined with the fact that his processing speed seems just a tick off.

Even in the preseason game last night, he held on to the ball seemingly just a tick too long even when he had a good pocket.

As we've been saying for a long time, the guy has physical talent, he's just not an NFL QB.  He's still young, maybe he can Tebow his way on to a minor league baseball team.

I went to one BYU home game in 2022 Jaren Hall was their QB and there was at least 4 very long passes for TDs just in the first half. I don't know the specifics of Zach's college career but all of the caveats being brought up where were the scouts who had all of this data. Based on that and other drafts teams seem to be willing to take chances hoping they get a Josh Allen not a Zach. But imo Zach can be an NFL QB. 

1 hour ago, varjet said:
  • Why would Zach play on the Denver PS?  Because he is getting paid anyway, he may think he is getting good coaching and development, and he probably likes Denver/it is close to home.   And it is not unlikely he sees the field in 2024 anyway.
  • Why would Denver keep Zach?   They owe him the $2.5mm, but they can try waiving him to save the money if someone else picks him up.  But given Zach's "arm talent" it is actually possible you can bring him in a game in relief and he could win it with the surprise factor.  He did win some games for the Jets.  Back up could be his very viable future.  
  • Should JD get fired for picking Zach?  He has been able to build one of the NFL's best rosters regardless.   He has done that because he was able to sign AR8, Tryon Smith and Mike Williams for 1/3 of their true market value, allowing them to sign other players.  JD, although a mixed drafter, appears to be improving and is good at finding players on the scrap heap (I have a theory for that I can share in another thread).  In any event, I do think he discussed the pros and cons with Woody, and Woody told him to take the shot because of the value of a rookie QB if he worked out.  He obviously did not work out.  

the jets didn't do zach any favors.  imo both saleh and milfy were so full of themselves that they thought they could turn zach into a pro qb overnight.  it didn't happen.  the rest of the team just was able to support him unlike they they way they supported sanchez.  sure zach needed to be taught a few things but it's up to the coaches to know when a player is ready and they just deluded themselves.

1 hour ago, varjet said:

yes JD should be fired for the Zach pick when you take into account his teams record for his tenure-he picked the players and he picked the coach

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, kmnj said:

yes JD should be fired for the Zach pick when you take into account his teams record for his tenure-he picked the players and he picked the coach

I just can't even imagine looking at this roster and thinking "The GM should be fired for this!"

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

12 hours ago, varjet said:

1. Zach doesn’t care if he’s on practice squad.  It’s free money and he won’t stink in actual games in front of 80,000 drunken fans.

2. No one is picking up Zach if he goes on waivers.  

3. The Zach pick was at least 50% Woody.  Zach getting three full seasons to stink here is 100% woody

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1