Jets OTA updates (6/4 Open to Media)

16 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Yeah, we are not being people parents into it. You two are acting like a couple  of 9 1/2 year olds.  

I'm only mad because it's true.  It's a butterfly w/ all her children and grandchildren's name tattooed in the wings. Who does that?  We told her not to!  And then when we had RJ, the tattoo artist was surprised to see a 79 year old woman walking in the door.   Just wait till she does it again at 81 when Auggie is born.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

I'm only mad because it's true.  It's a butterfly w/ all her children and grandchildren's name tattooed in the wings. Who does that?  We told her not to!  And then when we had RJ, the tattoo artist was surprised to see a 79 year old woman walking in the door.   Just wait till she does it again at 81 when Auggie is born.

Yeah, uhhh, errr, I know! I picked the color of the butterfly wings! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jetkwondo said:

Your looking at it differently then how I've been portraying it. I never claimed he was a superstar, just that his stats don't lie and his reliable ball skills put him in the upper third of all TE's who played last year.

A few here are killing the guy for not being a superstar which I think is unfair . To put it plainly, I don't think he sucks... and he's probably some where in the middle, leaning slightly more toward superstar of your gun to the head Superstar vs Average question which to me puts him in the upper third. 

That's all I'm saying.

Ok fair enough i put him as average maybe a hair better than average lets say no. 14 out of 32 starters. 

He has some decent select stats, but as for the eye test, to me, he is just another brick in the wall. I doubt fans outside of NY or the nfc east know who he is.

since there seems to be opinion on what a jag is, to me its just plain average. I see some see a jag as a below average player. Oh well

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, slats said:

This discussion went off the rails. It started with Conklin being described as a middle of the road starting TE. I don’t think anyone is really saying otherwise except that some want to call a mid-level starter a JAG, which I guess is your business. It also came about because Conklin and his 588.6 yards/season isn’t a terrible baseline #3 option in the passing game, while also hoping/anticipating that Williams is an 800 yard guy this year and Corley makes significant noise as well. As one of five options on any given down, he’s fine. 

Agreed. 

This all went off because ppl have a different opinion of what a JAG is

To me its an average starter that is not a huge playmaker and can be replaced. That is what conklin is to me

To others, a jag is a way below average starter that you want to replace asap. So when I say he is a Jag all of a sudden the stats comparisons come out with the too 3/4 guys at his position 

1 hour ago, 56mehl56 said:

And in an Aaron Rodgers led offense which TE has that been historically - no one.  TE is not a featured position for this offense . 

I think Jermichael Finley was 3rd on the team in targets and yards from 2009- 2012, though not 2010 when they won the super bowl - he was hurt.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Joejet said:

They just signed Cohen so it wouldn’t be that surprising if it is Cohen, Hall, and the 2 draftees from this year.

Cohen is for special teams, he will be rarely used if at all in the "O" ... that is, If he makes the team.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, doitny said:

in Salehs 1st year our defense was bad. but after that very good. Daboll went from middle of the pack to 30th in offense in year 2. he went backwards.

Jones went 1-5. he also had Tyrod Taylor for 5 games. and Barkley for 14 games. without counting the games Jones and Taylor got hurt they avged 15.2 pts. for a guy whos supposed to be an offensive genius that is not good at all.

just for reference we avged 15.7 pts with Zach, Trevor and Boyle. and were supposed to have the worst OC in the NFL.

so a Hackett offensive with the worst QBs in the NFL scored 0.5 more pts than a Daboll offense in the 9 games he had Jones and Taylor. to me thats sucks.

if Hackett sucks shouldn't the guy who scored just as many points suck too? 

His starting QB missed 11 games & Taylor is an UBER meh QB who is extremely conservative in his play... good in minimizing turnovers, not very good for scoring TD's. 

On 6/4/2024 at 6:33 AM, JustInFudge said:

Right.  Zach Wilson sucks but Conky has had 5 different QB's throw him a Football since the last time he scored. 

Meanwhile, Hunter Henry scored 6 TD's w/ the a combo of Mac Jones and Bill Zappee.  Chig from the Titans scored w/ Will Levis throwing him the ball but sure, blame Zach for him being a JAG.

Yes. Conklin was clearly the issue....

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think Jermichael Finley was 3rd on the team in targets and yards from 2009- 2012, though not 2010 when they won the super bowl - he was hurt.

Finley ended up hating Rodgers, to boot

IMG_5304.png

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Finley ended up hating Rodgers, to boot

Is 

Is there more to this?  This doesn't read like hate to me.  More like when your thinking about retiring you're already retired.  For the Jets that might be even more damning in trading for him.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, doitny said:

in Salehs 1st year our defense was bad. but after that very good. Daboll went from middle of the pack to 30th in offense in year 2. he went backwards.

Jones went 1-5. he also had Tyrod Taylor for 5 games. and Barkley for 14 games. without counting the games Jones and Taylor got hurt they avged 15.2 pts. for a guy whos supposed to be an offensive genius that is not good at all.

just for reference we avged 15.7 pts with Zach, Trevor and Boyle. and were supposed to have the worst OC in the NFL.

so a Hackett offensive with the worst QBs in the NFL scored 0.5 more pts than a Daboll offense in the 9 games he had Jones and Taylor. to me thats sucks.

I agree that it appears that Daboll isn't as good a HC as it appeared he was his first season on the job.  My main point in wanting Daboll was that he had a proven track record in developing young QBs, and he was an experienced OC and play caller.  Since then, I have read that he has anger issues that works against him with players and others in the organization.  So, he wasn't the answer, but if Saleh is fired, I still think that the Jets MUST hire an offensive HC who has a great track record as an OC if one is available.  Enough with the former DCs.

Two years ago Rodgers had his worst year as a pro since his rookie year, failed in the biggest game of the year and missed the playoffs, his much maligned replacement was outstanding last year for the packers.

He was hurt all last year.

He is over 40.

If he has a year this year as good as the much maligned Derrick Carr had last year for new orleans people will be dancing in the streets.

'Average' will become Elite to people here in a real hurry.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

7 hours ago, doitny said:

Without knowing the specific details about what injuries Giants' offensive starters had and how many games they missed, logically it sounds as if you're correct, but injuries could have caused some problems for Daboll and the Giants' offense.  Also, was Daboll calling the plays, or does he have an OC who does that?  That could make a big difference as well.  Then again, the Peter Principle could be in effect.  Perhaps Daboll's ceiling is either as an OC or as a QB Coach.

4 hours ago, Untouchable said:

I don’t get it 

If you can’t get excited about the Jets this year, then when the hell can you?

We’re a couple of years removed from having the sh*ttiest roster in the league with no real hope in sight.

Now we probably have one of the Top 5 overall rosters in football with a returning HOF QB that we finally get to see.

People will have plenty of time for this “woe is me” sh*t after Rodgers is gone. Until then, everyone should be excited about the potential of this team over the next two years.

Rogers was gone after 4 plays last season. So, you know, cautiously optimistic is beyond reasonable in my opinion. 

5 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Rogers was gone after 4 plays last season. So, you know, cautiously optimistic is beyond reasonable in my opinion. 

He hadn’t missed a game in 5 years before the achilles tear.

Listening to people in the media, you’d think we were wheeling Stephen Hawking out on the field.

I don’t understand why so many act like it’s insanity to think that a 4x MVP QB can still be effective at 40. Especially after we’ve seen, and are currently seeing, dudes across sports (Brady, Brees, LeBron, etc) do it.

• Upvote 4

23 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

I agree that it appears that Daboll isn't as good a HC as it appeared he was his first season on the job.  My main point in wanting Daboll was that he had a proven track record in developing young QBs, and he was an experienced OC and play caller.  Since then, I have read that he has anger issues that works against him with players and others in the organization.  So, he wasn't the answer, but if Saleh is fired, I still think that the Jets MUST hire an offensive HC who has a great track record as an OC if one is available.  Enough with the former DCs.

what proven track record? Josh Allen? thats one guy. and im not sure he developed him. IMO QBs either have it or not. coaches can teach you some things but they cant teach what is between your ears.

i wouldnt force the issue of a OC with experience, thats how we got Hackett. 

16 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

Without knowing the specific details about what injuries Giants' offensive starters had and how many games they missed, logically it sounds as if you're correct, but injuries could have caused some problems for Daboll and the Giants' offense.  Also, was Daboll calling the plays, or does he have an OC who does that?  That could make a big difference as well.  Then again, the Peter Principle could be in effect.  Perhaps Daboll's ceiling is either as an OC or as a QB Coach.

thats true about the injuries but look at us. we had 13 different OL combinations, Zach at QB and no #2 WR. could they have that many injuries? still for those 9 games there QBs were much better than ours. still should have found a way to score more than we did.

he doesnt call his own plays but that is still his offense. as an ex OC he is heavily involved in it. 

3 hours ago, Claymation said:

Looking at the thumbnail on this quote I am struck with the hypocrisy that we look at some things.  Rodger is a first ballot HOFer, so I am thinking it is probably play action and he is hiding the ball from the D to sell the run.  If this were some squid like Wilson I would be thinking why the **** is holding the ball so low?  It can easily be stripped.  It will take him 20 minutes to get it up to his ear to let the pass go.  

38 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

He hadn’t missed a game in 5 years before the achilles tear.

Listening to people in the media, you’d think we were wheeling Stephen Hawking out on the field.

I don’t understand why so many act like it’s insanity to think that a 4x MVP QB can still be effective at 40. Especially after we’ve seen, and are currently seeing, dudes across sports (Brady, Brees, LeBron, etc) do it.

3 guys in 2 sports? I hope so Homeboy, I do. 

16 hours ago, ARodJetsFan said:

@Warfish

In 2024, Conklin had career high in receptions (61), setting personal bests in yards (621) and first downs (27) -- playing with four different quarterbacks.

246 of his 621 receiving yards were YAC.

On 61 receptions that's an average of 4 yds YAC per reception.

Not lighting the world on fire - but serviceable.

Is this a prophecy for 2024?