JD Declined Trade Down w/Rams From 10

21 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Luckily for them they don’t need to make a decision on Mayer for another 3 years.

But it’s interesting because Mayer and Bowers both profile more as detached “move” TEs than traditional inline players.

The Gronk Hernandez thing is often cited, but Gronk was beastly as a blocker as well.

Small sample sizes can be deceiving, but Antonio Pierce looks to be possibly legit, definitely more so than Bobby Salad at least.

Wrong Michael Mayer is two way te who can catch and block.    Go watch him block Jermaine Johnson one on one . ( when teams played) 

Mayer did struggle early with his blocking but by season end was blocking  like true Te.   

• Upvote 3

His blocking wasn’t there early . he struggled . MAXX Crosby gave him welcome to nfl moment.  

Made him a better te as he became very good blocker by season end.    Will have monster year in 2024.   B bowers brought out the best in Mayer faster, in best shape of his life.      B Bowers is going to play everywhere ( Te, Wr, Fb, Rb) mostly in the slot .( where he isn’t  going to need a year because he be seeing Cb, and safeties who he will bury.   

Raiders are going to a zone blocking scheme.    All there offense lineman.  ,Lt K Miller , Lg Jackson powers Johnson c Andre James rg D parham with exception of T Munford are excellent fits in that scheme.    Munford while not a great fit is excellent run blocker 

On 6/14/2024 at 6:49 PM, TuscanyTile2 said:

Well, we don't really know that as of right now.  lol

But I think what you're saying is that if JD loved Olu then it wasn't worth it to get a couple of extra picks but have it cost us the LT we coveted.

One of the reasons JD is not a good GM is that he “covets” players. That’s why he trades up all the time. But good GMs do not covet players. They realize all these guys are gambles and picks are lottery tickets. 
A good GM would have taken that second offer. 

• Upvote 3

Considering the Jets would have taken Corley earlier than they did had the trade gone thru, LT at 11 wins hands down.

At the time of the phone call not trading out of #11 was nuts though.  If the WR was there at 10 they take him so JD chose to stand pat at 11 for a runner up.  Makes little sense to me but as I said the way the rest of the board fell it worked out for us, so enough said.

To perform well as a GM you need both skill and luck.             

• Upvote 4

11 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

His blocking wasn’t there early . he struggled . MAXX Crosby gave him welcome to nfl moment.  

Made him a better te as he became very good blocker by season end.    Will have monster year in 2024.   B bowers brought out the best in Mayer faster, in best shape of his life.      B Bowers is going to play everywhere ( Te, Wr, Fb, Rb) mostly in the slot .( where he isn’t  going to need a year because he be seeing Cb, and safeties who he will bury.   

Raiders are going to a zone blocking scheme.    All there offense lineman.  ,Lt K Miller , Lg Jackson powers Johnson c Andre James rg D parham with exception of T Munford are excellent fits in that scheme.    Munford while not a great fit is excellent run blocker 

I can’t wait to see what our offense does this year, bro. Gonna be fun to watch.

• Thumb Down 1

11 hours ago, BroadwayRay said:

One of the reasons JD is not a good GM is that he “covets” players. That’s why he trades up all the time. But good GMs do not covet players. They realize all these guys are gambles and picks are lottery tickets. 

A good GM takes the sure thing vs. possibilities and hope. If JD took the deal and Olu goes on to have a Solid to Plus pro career, you’ll need JD to hit on the 19th pick (only offensive players LT/WR/RT)  you’re choosing between Thomas, Fautanu, Guyton and, Worthy, Parsall & Legette.image.png.13dfdf0af881c458eb7c821aeb40b713.png

and the #52 you’re picking Corley or Paul depending on how your #19 pick went.

image.png.5fbb78eb87f7a5c80b296038c4e591ec.png

Taking the best available LT at #11 with additional trade assets was the way to go.

• Sympathy 1

13 hours ago, BroadwayRay said:

I know what you're saying but I think it just depends on who a GM hits on.  Andy Reid coveted Patrick Mahomes.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, BroadwayRay said:

But does he yearn?

Kramer - “Often I sit and yearn.” KRAMER (moves over and sits next to  George): Do you ever yearn?GEORGE: Yearn? Do I yearn?… | Seinfeld, Seinfeld  quotes, Yearning

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

Wrong Michael Mayer is two way te who can catch and block.    Go watch him block Jermaine Johnson one on one . ( when teams played) 

Mayer did struggle early with his blocking but by season end was blocking  like true Te.   

You guys love slow tight ends

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Henry....  I've been reading your comments since the late 90's when the NY Times had a Jets forum (Where are all the others from there, BTW?  @slats? )

You have hated EVERY Jets' GM since that time. (Not that they were any good).  But I am convinced that you will always hate any Jets GM, no matter who it is, until the day they bury you in a Jets jersey.  Douglas has made bad mistakes... really bad ones , but Douglas has been better than all of the predecessors.  Also, the players who you have advocated through these decades in lieu of the ones the Jets' GM picked, were AWFUL in and of themselves.  At least that's my take on the Henry Hertz annual "the GM did everything wrong" spiel.  Go feed those ducks.

Maybe he hates jet GMs because they were all bad since Bill Parcells?  And even Parcells himself made the two dumbest moves ever telling Peyton and his dad to take a hike because he’s old school and then compounding that mistake passing on Orlando Pace for James Farrior

I was 15 when that happened and even at that age I knew it was a royal screw up

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, BroadwayRay said:

Loop Trump GIF

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

you know I don't speak Spanish.

Whatever that means, I was saying the same crap before the draft. I thought LT was a high priority - not like I'm changing my take because we took one.

LT is and was a high priority. That is unarguable.

I am criticizing the GM for forgoing draft capital in order to draft a plug and play OT, only so they can ease him in. If the plan was “ease him in”, then they could have easily drafted an OT later (given this was a drop class) and taken the extra capital to boot.

Nobody is arguing that OT shouldn’t have been the pick. I simply think the strategy is that if a choad. He Douglas is a choad.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

You guys love slow tight ends

Yes Travis Kelce slow too  Those slow Tes Michael Mayer and Brock Bowers( best player in Sec) will be top five te’s in the game. .     You like Tightends that can run Zach Kuntz but can’t play football .   At least they can get saleh his coffee. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

I am criticizing the GM for forgoing draft capital in order to draft a plug and play OT, only so they can ease him in. If the plan was “ease him in”, then they could have easily drafted an OT later (given this was a drop class) and taken the extra capital to boot.

There’s the 6 game “ease in” there’s the year 2 ease in and the year 3 ease in. Max Mitchell is going on year 3 and Becton was a 4 year disappointment. JD got a long, physically fit LT who has been impressing in camp with a few growing pains. JD is looking for Olu to play meaningful snaps this year. Guyton, I’m not so sure will have been ready. We’ll see 

• Upvote 1

The trade of #19 plus a 2nd and 3rd for #10 and a 6th would have been very tempting.

But I can't blame JD for taking the trade down to 11 then picking his guy in Fashanu.

Fashanu would not have been there at 19, and the other guy the Jets seemed to like - Fuaga - probably wouldn't have been there either.

Getting extra draft capital with the move down to 11, then adding a franchise LT prospect that many fans were gnashing their teeth over 'losing' with the late season victories, was good business.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

20 hours ago, BroadwayRay said:

Yeah, that trade up for AVT was dumb as hell. Especially, cause Vikings ended up getting Darrisaw anyway. Douglas falls in love with players to much. He should've taken the trade down and grabbed Fautanu. 

• Thumb Down 1

7 hours ago, artemusclyde said:

Yeah, that trade up for AVT was dumb as hell. Especially, cause Vikings ended up getting Darrisaw anyway. Douglas falls in love with players to much. He should've taken the trade down and grabbed Fautanu. 

I think Douglas sticks to his board as opposed to coveting a specific player. These rankings are determined by a year of research and long discussions with opinions from many. Fashanu  probably was the last remaining player of his top tier. Trading further down particularly 17 was a risk he wasn’t willing to take. He stuck to his board. 

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I know what you're saying but I think it just depends on who a GM hits on.  Andy Reid coveted Patrick Mahomes.

You are correct. Sometimes it’s worth pursuing a player at a high value position like that if you truly believe in him. But JD usually has two or three Mahomes crushes every draft on players he’s hellbent on getting. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/16/2024 at 10:30 AM, Raideraholic said:

Yes Travis Kelce slow too  Those slow Tes Michael Mayer and Brock Bowers( best player in Sec) will be top five te’s in the game. .     You like Tightends that can run Zach Kuntz but can’t play football .   At least they can get saleh his coffee. 

Keep using first round picks on tight ends who won’t even run a 40

On 6/15/2024 at 5:21 PM, Integrity28 said:

If the plan is to ease them in, then you go with the later prospect and net additional picks. 

Easing in a 11th overall pick is not the strategy of a contender. 

patrick mahomes was drafted 10th and didn't really play his 1st year

seemed to work out well there...well for KC, not the team that took that box safety at 6 to play immediately...

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

On 6/15/2024 at 7:34 PM, BroadwayRay said:

You have to covet the right players. 

But yes trading up almost never works out

On 6/16/2024 at 10:27 AM, Rich Thornburgh said:

It’s wierd. AVT is always hurt yet he’s the next Larry Allen but Becton is the worst OT bust ever

AVT seems to get a pass from the sheep.

Maybe not being a 400 lb crybaby matters? 

On 6/17/2024 at 10:27 PM, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Taking Travis over Rattler was stupid 

Rattler was pick 150.  Travis, 171.  For the Jets to get Rattler, they would have had to pass on Allen at pick 134 to get him.  No way.  Now I like Rattler, but like Travis, he is anything but a sure bet.  Denver would have grabbed Allen at 147 instead of the similar Estime.  So who would you take at 171?  The comp here (absent any trades) would be the  Allen/Travis picks vs. Rattler/(unknown #171) picks.

I'm happy the way it turned out.  

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

Watch what the Tight end 21 years Brock Bowers  ( consider the best player in Sec)and Michael Mayer  23 years old puts up this season, and many seasons after.    All anyone will remember the Jets passing up a generational talent Brock Bowers for a Lt ( need over best player) .  It’s like Jets  picking the best player left on the board Q Williams when they had already a high drafted Dt .( Leonard Williams).       It proved to be the right choice.       Raider nation thanks the Jets for the gift .  There is a reason why the Rams try to trade up with you for Bowers.

Raider Nation was barfing up blood when they picked the TE.  You might be saying "thanks" but what I saw/read was a very unhappy miserable reaction from the fan base.   Anyway, "you're welcome" BTW... (always good when Raiduhs make a horrible mistake, like Leatherwood or Bowers).

On 6/19/2024 at 4:52 PM, Raideraholic said:

Watch what the Tight end 21 years Brock Bowers  ( consider the best player in Sec)and Michael Mayer  23 years old puts up this season, and many seasons after.    All anyone will remember the Jets passing up a generational talent Brock Bowers for a Lt ( need over best player) .  It’s like Jets  picking the best player left on the board Q Williams when they had already a high drafted Dt .( Leonard Williams).       It proved to be the right choice.       Raider nation thanks the Jets for the gift .  There is a reason why the Rams try to trade up with you for Bowers.

The Powers of Bowers!

Btw did Jamarcus ever get around to watching that dvd?