We need receivers and JD wasted two thirds in getting Vera- tucker

Very easy to redraft with the benefit of hindsight.  That 3rd/4th round WR could just as easily have been Dez Fitzpatrick or Anthony Schwartz who both went after Collins and before St Brown.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

Yes.  JD has been a bad GM. 

Doesn't the 2022 draft and the drafting of defensive michael Carter, plus his trade history, give him average gm status? Understand Becton, Zach, Mims, and to lesser extent Moore brings him to woeful gm status, but Sauce, Wilson, and Hall are arguably elite players in the NFL at there position and he got them in 1 draft. Jermaine Johnson has a chance to blossom even more, and he's been solid. Carter is top level slot corner found in later round.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

He's a bills fan that posts here.. 

1 hour ago, bicketybam said:

Hammerin' Hank is a Bills fan??

Hoitzy has been a Jets fan since forever.

• Upvote 3

His big sin is not the AVT trade but not taking WRs later in the draft. 

He made the same dumb mistake this year.   Tons of really good looking wr prospects thoughout this draft and through to later rounds and yet he takes two rbs, the easiest thing to find or his usual small linebackers or safety projects

He has these blinders on and just takes one wr an say we are good, mims, moore and now corley when big value for wr prospects are all over the place.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

His big sin is not the AVT trade but not taking WRs later in the draft. 

He made the same dumb mistake this year.   Tons of really good looking wr prospects thoughout this draft and through to later rounds and yet he takes two rbs, the easiest thing to find or his usual small linebackers or safety projects

He has these blinders on and just takes one wr a say we are good, mims, moore and now corley when big value for wr prospects are all over the place.

You can’t draft a wide receiver just because they are good looking.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, hmhertz said:

Same draft two receivers taken in the fourth signed big contracts

St. Brown 120 Mill for 4 years, Nico Collins 72 Mill 3 years

25-30 mill a year for these guys???

Alan Lazard stinks and he is looking like a bargain at 11 mill a yr

• WTF? 1
  • Ugh 1

2 hours ago, BradSmith16fan said:

Doesn't the 2022 draft and the drafting of defensive michael Carter, plus his trade history, give him average gm status? Understand Becton, Zach, Mims, and to lesser extent Moore brings him to woeful gm status, but Sauce, Wilson, and Hall are arguably elite players in the NFL at there position and he got them in 1 draft. Jermaine Johnson has a chance to blossom even more, and he's been solid. Carter is top level slot corner found in later round.

Hall is the best player he ever took, if only our foolish coaches stopped

emphasizing finishing runs. His greatest assets are his eyes and cutting

ability. To run into a defender for a yard or two, and sacrifice gains of

25yds or longer relying on his greatest gifts

Some good guards went in the third that year too. Creed Humphrey in the second who a lot of us wanted as a center. Loaded class in which a lot of capital was spent on a bust at QB, a guard, and a malcontent WR.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

25-30 mill a year for these guys???

Alan Lazard stinks and he is looking like a bargain at 11 mill a yr

Lazard could be making vet minimum. And still would be way over priced.

Please for the love of god just cut this year even if its just for the roster spot.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

He wasted two 3rds seeing how a pair of far better, and more successful, interior OL picks went in round 2. Also how a rock solid LT went in our original slot. All that to take guard that high is ok as one of the last puzzle pieces, not as one of the remaining 10+ pieces needed, and not when OL was touted as the draft’s deepest position group.

That Douglas draft had more missed opportunities than his sorry 2020 draft class. He was in no position to be using a mid-1st and another pair of day 2 picks for a guard, just a couple hours after declining the windfall of high picks he could’ve gotten to move 10 slots down from #2.

Playing the hindsight game in full, #2, #23, #34, #66, #86 in a deep draft just gets worse when you know that the bust QB taken at #2 was easily flipped for #12, SF’s 1st and 3rd in 2022, and also their 1st in 2023.

All together that’s 5 (!!!!!) 1st rounders, a high 2nd rounder, and 3 3rd rounders. Possibly more, if he could’ve gotten more from SF for the #2 pick they truly wanted than Miami got for their consolation prize at #3.

And for that potential haul, 3 years later what we have to show for it are 3 more losing seasons and a talented & versatile guard who’s fully played in just 27 of 51 games.

That 2021 draft is one of the saddest redraft opportunities that, when paired with the team’s own bunch of high picks a year later, could’ve led to a dynasty-level rebuild.

I can't blame Douglas for Vera Tucker because the talent is there. The injuries that happened to him I think are freak things. Agree on Zach, never wanted him (I wanted Fields). If they weren't going to take Fields at that spot, I thought they should've kept Darnold and traded down for the haul. If it wasn't for injuries, do you think Tucker is the right pick? JD gets pass for me on him because he and his team scouted the talent correctly. With Zach, that was an all time Jets blunder because in my opinion that's a talent issue (mental processing talent). Add in, like you said, what SF was supposedly prepared to give up for him.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, BradSmith16fan said:

I can't blame Douglas for Vera Tucker because the talent is there. The injuries that happened to him I think are freak things. Agree on Zach, never wanted him (I wanted Fields). If they weren't going to take Fields at that spot, I thought they should've kept Darnold and traded down for the haul. If it wasn't for injuries, do you think Tucker is the right pick? JD gets pass for me on him because he and his team scouted the talent correctly. With Zach, that was an all time Jets blunder because in my opinion that's a talent issue (mental processing talent). Add in, like you said, what SF was supposedly prepared to give up for him.

My point guard is not  a premium position certainly not wasting two thirds on.

Tackle is more important and Vikings took Darrisaw a good one. The Colts took

Nelson, who we were told would be an all time great, according to PFF

third round Raimann was their best O Lineman. There were plenty of

players third round down who along with Darrisaw were the better choice

http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/years/2021

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 1

26 minutes ago, hmhertz said:

My point guard is not  a premium position certainly not wasting two thirds on.

Tackle is more important and Vikings took Darrisaw a good one. The Colts took

Nelson, who we were told would be an all time great, according to PFF

third round Raimann was their best O Lineman. There were plenty of

players third round down who along with Darrisaw were the better choice

http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/years/2021

The 2 players Vikings got in that draft with the 3rd rounders were Kellen Mond and Wyatt Davis, both not on the Vikings anymore. If you're looking at Darrisaw vs Tucker, you should factor in that the Jets had Becton coming off a productive rookie year,albeit with some injuries, and also had Morgan Moses and Fant as the other tackles. I'm confident they weren't going to draft Darrisaw with those 3 already there. If Becton played in 2020 like he did in 2023 then maybe.

7 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Yes.  JD has been a bad GM. 

7 hours ago, BradSmith16fan said:

The year he came here, the Jets had the worst roster in the NFL, by a large margin. Today, the Jets have a consensus top 5 roster in the NFL. 

If you think that's the mark of a bad GM or even an average GM, I don't know what to tell you. Those types of turn around aren't common

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

12 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

The year he came here, the Jets had the worst roster in the NFL, but a large margin. Today, the Jets have a consensus top 5 roster in the NFL. 

If you think that's the mark of a bad GM or even an average GM, I don't know what to tell you. Those types of turn around aren't common

If you want to say above average, that's fair to me. I go back and forth in my head between that and average. Just drafting Zach brings it down, as even having a middling qb (like Daniel Jones) the past 2 years, they probably make the playoffs both times. 

Just now, BradSmith16fan said:

If you want to say above average, that's fair to me. I go back and forth in my head between that and average. Just drafting Zach brings it down, as even having a middling qb (like Daniel Jones) the past 2 years, they probably make the playoffs both times. 

How would you rank Ozzie Newsome as a GM? First qb he drafted was Kyle boller. 

Lynch traded way up for Trey Lance

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, BradSmith16fan said:

Agree in needing at least 1 more wr. Vera Tucker is a very solid player if not better. Freak injuries happened. Disagree on JD wasting 2 thirds.

It's past so i don't dwell much on it, but if you spend a 1st and two 3rds on a guard, he better be amazing.   

AVT has had bad luck, but he hasn't been amazing since being drafted.

31 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

How would you rank Ozzie Newsome as a GM? First qb he drafted was Kyle boller. 

Lynch traded way up for Trey Lance

Ozzie was phenomenal/top of his profession. Lynch has done relatively well. Difference between them and JD is their teams made sbs (Ravens won) before they made those picks. JD had 1 full year and Jets had 2nd worst record in league. If you want to say that's on coaching fine, but JD did hire the coach so that counts. From what I've seen from Saleh's in game coaching i'm not impressed. If Saleh or Douglas kept forcing Zach to play, that falls on Douglas either way because he hired Saleh. Gms job is to put their team in the best position to win, and by having Zach and Saleh to me in there in one case is a huge negative and the other might be negative or neutral. Combine that with what they could have gotten for #2 pick in 2021, JD gets knocked down a peg. I liked a lot what he's done and as I said above average is fair, but qb and hc are the 2 most important aspects of the team. If last years draft and this years pan out and develop, I'll bump up my evaluation of JD.

37 minutes ago, chirorob said:

It's past so i don't dwell much on it, but if you spend a 1st and two 3rds on a guard, he better be amazing.   

AVT has had bad luck, but he hasn't been amazing since being drafted.

I think he has a decent chance to be if they actually keep him at guard and not move him around.

• Sympathy 1