Hassan Reddick Holding Out, Requests Trade

13 minutes ago, mfmartin said:

emoji23.png the nfl can’t simply create a rule. It has to be collectively bargained with the union and the players will never go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Lot needs to change. Only sport where salaries don’t have to have any guarantees. If they correct that some, won’t have as many cry baby holdouts. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, mfmartin said:

Yeah trading an asset for a player (who the entire league knew he wanted a bump in pay this year) and then playing hardball with him is genius move. Players will be tripping themselves coming here.

its like you forgot the agreement they had with him before the JFM trade. so we gave up a 3rd rd pick for him next year. 

The JETS will be a good team this year, Reddick isn't going to change the course of future FA's. His situation is different and he played it like a moron...

HOld in, don't lose any $ and ....... oh wait, he went hold out. right.  

Im also not worried about it. guy will be in for Week 1 and he knows his future contract is on the line. other teams will take note of how he's played this as well, 2 way street. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

10 hours ago, mfmartin said:

Yeah trading an asset for a player (who the entire league knew he wanted a bump in pay this year) and then playing hardball with him is genius move. Players will be tripping themselves coming here.

To be fair, all JD is asking is that Reddick shows up. Assumably, the plan was to offer him a mix of guaranteed money and additional incentives to keep him happy.

I don't think most players would see a huge issue with this tactic from the Jets - some of the other "holdouts" this off season have been "hold-ins" a la Aiyuk or Kamara. Reddick could be negotiating now if he took this route. Not to mention, it's not like he's on a low pay rookie deal like Lamb or Aiyuk, where he didn't get to negotiate the pay grade.

Not saying the optics are great, but I'm not worried about how other players perceive this. We gave Smith and Williams solid deals. We've paid a couple home grown players recently. Jets players aren't coming out and campaigning for Reddick. If anything, the worst look here is just that the jets look dumb, not greedy/unwilling to pay.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Stark said:

its like you forgot the agreement they had with him before the JFM trade. so we gave up a 3rd rd pick for him next year. 

The JETS will be a good team this year, Reddick isn't going to change the course of future FA's. His situation is different and he played it like a moron...

HOld in, don't lose any $ and ....... oh wait, he went hold out. right.  

Im also not worried about it. guy will be in for Week 1 and he knows his future contract is on the line. other teams will take note of how he's played this as well, 2 way street. 

Other teams who need pass rush will pay him the market price if they have the room.   I suspect the real problem is the Jets don't have it and Reddick isn't willing to play at below market price.  Other teams also know this.  

I suspect the Jets figure owning his rights is worth something and they are going to trade him at some point.  They probably can't afford him.

Even if he reports, having a disgruntled player on a team in a small window to make a run isn't good for the locker room.  The Jets should figure a way to get him in happy or move him.  

• Upvote 1

On 8/7/2024 at 11:18 AM, ARodJetsFan said:

Per the NFL CBA, the fines for holding out of mandatory team activities, training camp etc, aren't waivable.

That money is lost.

The only way Reddick could hope to recoup some of it, would be through some kind of additional bonuses, if he were to sign an extension.

And that's if the Jets want to be nice, but Reddick hasn't given the Jets any reason, to go out of their way for him and he has ZERO credibility, or good will to put on the table at this point.

Meant to respond to this yesterday - I have a feeling this will be the case, though. Reddick is probably thinking the Jets will be willing to give him this money back. I think the Jets would, too, if it's soon. It's not as if they need the money more than they need Reddick.

Of course, there's a time frame where this stops making sense. If Reddick comes in next week, they should be happy to repay his fines as long as he irons out a reasonable deal. If Reddick holds out into the regular season though, they should probably make it into bonuses for game time... I'd be worried about his health and performance at that point.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Huff wanted a different role beacuse im sure he felt the full time role would mean full time money. 

Despite your self-assurance in your opinion, it's nothing more than you projecting what'd matter more to you. He didn't say he merely wanted to get paid like a full time player, but that he wanted to be one. Elite athletes want to prove they're the best (or right up there with them). 

Everyone wants more money rather than less, and if that binary choice is the only difference in offers then they typically take the highest-paying offer. 

What he was speaking of is a chance to prove himself -- to take his shot before the narrow window of time to do so is closed for good. It was his chance to live a life without regrets wondering if he could've been one of the best, and forgoing the chance for extra money he surely wouldn't turn down but in truth doesn't need. Even if he never becomes the player he aspires to be, at least he'll have taken his shot. I get that. 

That's aside from the reality that there was no Curtain #3 where he'd exceed (or even equal) his current $17MM/year rate with the expectation he'd always just be a role player (even a really good one) and never a full-time starter. That offer was never going to be on the table from the Jets, nor from anybody else, and he said himself he didn't want that. So he was never a serious candidate to get franchise-tagged, was a prime candidate for a lengthy holdout if the team somehow decided to do so, and this was the best offer he got among all 32 teams. What you're not allowing is that, for all we know, perhaps it was the best offer he got by a couple million (or more) per year.

He wants to see if he could be one of the best at the thing he's dedicated his life to thus far, that's been his obvious passion when seeing how he plays, and all these guys are/were football fans aside from playing, so suggesting his football career is nothing more than a means to an end to make every nickel possible is again just you projecting. Same thing happens with fans who believe the best job in the league is being a higher-paid backup QB. Those QBs don't think so, though, especially if they were never given the chance to start yet; they want to start and not just solely because it's a chance to lead to better pay. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

10 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

If he walks in free agency we get a 3rd rd compensatory pick anyway

Like we did for Bryce Huff?

Jets fans need to stop believing that you automatically get comp picks for FA departures, because you don't.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, mrcoops said:

Jets fans need to stop believing that you automatically get comp picks for FA departures, because you don't.

aren't comp picks aren't awarded the year after the player leaves? so if we get a pick for huff it will be in the 2025 draft, right?

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

I agree whole heartedly with you, in general. I'm not counting on Reddick automatically turning into an X round pick. Particularly since the team could be trying to add new short term contention pieces next year.

However, with the multiple extensions likely next off season (Sauce, Wilson, etc), it does feel likely the Jets have more players leaving than staying. If we don't get a comp pick, it's because the team came close to winning it all and is re-gearing for another run, which I'd be fine with. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

If he walks in free agency we get a 3rd rd compensatory pick anyway, it’s a wash. No rush to pay this guy 

That is not definite.  Getting a comp pick for him is a big MAYBE.   It all depends on how many "qualified free agents" a team acquires vs the number it loses.   

Why do so many people here not understand how comp picks work?  After all these years, you'd think this board would get it.

So no... there is no assurance that Reddick would get us any comp pick.

In fact, Jason from OTC predicts that the Jets will NOT get a comp pick for Huff in 2025 because we gained as many CFA's as we lost thus far.

Read it yourself:

https://overthecap.com/compensatory-picks

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

Other teams who need pass rush will pay him the market price if they have the room.   I suspect the real problem is the Jets don't have it and Reddick isn't willing to play at below market price.  Other teams also know this.  

I suspect the Jets figure owning his rights is worth something and they are going to trade him at some point.  They probably can't afford him.

Even if he reports, having a disgruntled player on a team in a small window to make a run isn't good for the locker room.  The Jets should figure a way to get him in happy or move him.  

Will Hassan Reddick ever be gruntled? Is anyone? 

10 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

aren't comp picks aren't awarded the year after the player leaves? so if we get a pick for huff it will be in the 2025 draft, right?

We will be in line for a 3rd round comp pick for Huff in 2025 *if* we lose more players overall this year than we sign.  That seems likely given our roster construction and the high number of guys hitting FA at the end of this season.  

Another clarification on Reddick is that the 3rd round 2026 pick turns into a 2nd rounder if he hits 10 sacks and plays 67.5% of our snaps.  FWIW, and I don't want this to happen, but him skipping week 1 would obviously help with the snap% metric.  I also do not know what comes of those terms if he is traded.  I guess the new team inherits them but its interesting if he plays part of the season here and the rest somewhere else.  Would be interesting if we do trade him as it would essentially be 'free money' since no pick was sent to PHI yet but temper your expectations because the acquiring team would have to pick up that tab as well.

Third point.  Teams can NOT waive the fines. The fines are mandatory and the league collects them, not the team.  I'm pretty sure the team is reimbursed in terms of cap impact.  What some teams have done is give the player achievable bonuses in the current year to make up for it if they hit them.  I don't know how the NFL feels about this as it would seem to be a method of circumventing the fine other than that the money still comes out of the owner's pocket.  They could decide to clamp down on that at any point.

Regarding Reddick's deal overall.  He obviously deserves a bump.  He's set to make around $15M this year and the contract most point to as a comp is Danielle Hunter who got $49M/2 years with almost all of it guaranteed.  While that feels like an overpay to me, it is what it is.  The interesting bit to the trade is that he may have felt the Eagles owed him more to make up for the bargain years they got.  Obviously, he doesn't get that bit of leverage with a new team involved.  But still, somewhere in that range should be what both parties should be expecting as the trade was done after Hunter's deal.  My guess is the Jets may not want to guarantee the whole thing and that could be the snag.  Given the deals they are set to pay out next summer, I can see why the timing of cap hits is tricky as well.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, nycdan said:

We will be in line for a 3rd round comp pick for Huff in 2025 *if* we lose more players overall this year than we sign.  That seems likely given our roster construction and the high number of guys hitting FA at the end of this season.  

And, as of the moment, per OTC, the Jets have lost 4 CFA's while gaining 4.  No comp pick likely.

https://overthecap.com/compensatory-picks

Even the Eagles signing Becton on the last day before qualification ends doesn't bring the Jets over the hump to get a comp pick in 2025.

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, kmnj said:

eagles ate Joe's lunch on this-

after the Arod experiment fails he should be fired

JD made the mistake of believing that Reddick would stay true to his word.

Probably a safe bet, it's a mistake he won't repeat.

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

They are awarded the year after, but we still ain't getting a pick. We signed as many qualifying players as we lost, so aren't eligible for a comp pick.

56 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Despite your self-assurance in your opinion, it's nothing more than you projecting what'd matter more to you. He didn't say he merely wanted to get paid like a full time player, but that he wanted to be one. Elite athletes want to prove they're the best (or right up there with them). 

Everyone wants more money rather than less, and if that binary choice and the only difference in offers then they typically take the highest-paying offer. 

What he was speaking of is a chance to prove himself -- to take his shot before the narrow window of time to do so is closed for good. It was his chance to live a life without regrets wondering if he could've been one of the best, and forgoing the chance for extra money he surely wouldn't turn down but in truth doesn't need. Even if he never becomes the player he aspires to be, at least he'll have taken his shot. I get that. 

That's aside from the reality that there was no Curtain #3 where he'd exceed (or even equal) his current $17MM/year rate with the expectation he'd always just be a role player (even a really good one) and never a full-time starter. That offer was never going to be on the table from the Jets, nor from anybody else, and he said himself he didn't want that. So he was never a serious candidate to get franchise-tagged, was a prime candidate for a lengthy holdout if the team somehow decided to do so, and this was the best offer he got among all 32 teams. What you're not allowing is that, for all we know, perhaps it was the best offer he got by a couple million (or more) per year.

He wants to see if he could be one of the best at the thing he's dedicated his life to thus far, that's been his obvious passion when seeing how he plays, and all these guys are/were football fans aside from playing, so suggesting his football career is nothing more than a means to an end to make every nickel possible is again just you projecting. Same thing happens with fans who believe the best job in the league is being a higher-paid backup QB. Those QBs don't think so, though, especially if they were never given the chance to start yet; they want to start and not just solely because it's a chance to lead to better pay. 

And in the end you are projecting your opinion as well. Bottom line without all the text If the Eagles offered him 15 mil per and some other team swooped in and said 20 and with more guaranteed but not a full time player Im going to self assure myself as should you Huff would have taken the 20 mil . In the end, neither you nor me, know exactly what Huff would have done nor at this point should we care

• Upvote 1

So it's way early but I've seen a few reports that Huff isn't exactly lighting Eagles' camp on fire.  I am surprised.  I thought he would tear things up right out of the gate.  Will be interesting to see if he turns into the player he (and many of us) though he could be or if the Jets knew something we all didn't.

https://www.si.com/nfl/eagles/news/eagles-training-camp-overreactions-day-7-rookie-rocks-rookie-bryce-huff-concerns-ed9

HUFF STUFF

After making my list of five of my biggest camp disappointments, Bryce Huff was in my crosshairs on Sunday. He seems to have the drop-into-coverage part of his job description down, but his pass-rushing still needs work as does his work in the run game. A couple of times he lined up in a four-point stance he had trouble getting by left tackle Jordan Mailata.

One play that stood out came when Huff was blocked out of the play by tight end C.J. Uzomah. Huff was so frustrated, he threw Uzomah to the ground after being driven backward for about five yards. Uzomah got up and did a little fist pump.

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, nycdan said:

So it's way early but I've seen a few reports that Huff isn't exactly lighting Eagles' camp on fire.  I am surprised.  I thought he would tear things up right out of the gate.  Will be interesting to see if he turns into the player he (and many of us) though he could be or if the Jets knew something we all didn't.

https://www.si.com/nfl/eagles/news/eagles-training-camp-overreactions-day-7-rookie-rocks-rookie-bryce-huff-concerns-ed9

HUFF STUFF

After making my list of five of my biggest camp disappointments, Bryce Huff was in my crosshairs on Sunday. He seems to have the drop-into-coverage part of his job description down, but his pass-rushing still needs work as does his work in the run game. A couple of times he lined up in a four-point stance he had trouble getting by left tackle Jordan Mailata.

One play that stood out came when Huff was blocked out of the play by tight end C.J. Uzomah. Huff was so frustrated, he threw Uzomah to the ground after being driven backward for about five yards. Uzomah got up and did a little fist pump.

Vic Fangio came out and flat out said he’s not an every down player 

46 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

I simply dont understand the logic of "true to his word" 

how many times in sports has an owner or gm said they would take care of a player or " he is not being traded" to trade the guy away-why would a gm ever expect a player to  be true to his word when the gm and owners lie for a living.

I can show you hundreds of examples of gms lying or not being true to their word

"Jamal is an unbelievable player. We're excited about Jamal. The plan is for Jamal to be a Jet for life," Douglas said of his now-fourth-year playmaker and two-time Pro Bowler in the deep middle of his defense. "We've had some preliminary talks with his agent. I'm not going to get into the specifics of that. But the plan is for Jamal to be here a long time."

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, nycdan said:

HUFF STUFF

There must be 2 CJ Uzomahs, right?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, kmnj said:

I simply dont understand the logic of "true to his word" 

how many times in sports has an owner or gm said they would take care of a player or " he is not being traded" to trade the guy away-why would a gm ever expect a player to  be true to his word when the gm and owners lie for a living.

I can show you hundreds of examples of gms lying or not being true to their word

"Jamal is an unbelievable player. We're excited about Jamal. The plan is for Jamal to be a Jet for life," Douglas said of his now-fourth-year playmaker and two-time Pro Bowler in the deep middle of his defense. "We've had some preliminary talks with his agent. I'm not going to get into the specifics of that. But the plan is for Jamal to be here a long time."

you have to think players are well aware of GM talk - it is all part of the game.

I liken it to your wife or girlfriend asking you if they look fat in this dress?

Of course the answer is not at all - you look beautiful while that could be stretching the truth just a bit

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, nycdan said:

HUFF STUFF

I'm not really breaking any new ground here, but there is at least the possibility, that Saleh & Ulbrich knew Huff's strengths and used him specifically, in passing down & distance situations, that they knew he could excel in.

And this could very well be why, they didn't consider him an every down player.

Because of the Jets defensive system, along with their intimate knowledge & development of Huff's skill-set & how to utilize it, they could maximize his production on the field.

This is quite possibly, something Huff didn't realize & somewhat took for granted, thinking his production was strictly the product of his abilities and that it had little to do with excellent coaching and a defensive system that suited his skill-set.

Now that he's with another team & in a new defense, this reality may just now be hitting him, hence his "reported" frustration.

Again, I'm not saying definitively that this is the case, but it is a distinct possibility.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

I'm not really breaking any new ground here, but there is at least the possibility, that Saleh & Ulbrich knew Huff's strengths and used him specifically in passing down & distance situations, that they knew he could excel in.

And this could very well be why, they didn't consider him an every down player.

The Jets defensive system, along with their intimate knowledge & development of Huff's skill-set & how to utilize it, could maximize his production on the field.

This is quite possibly, something Huff didn't realize & somewhat took for granted.

Now that he's with another team & in a new defense, this reality may just now be hitting him.

Again, I'm not saying definitively that this is the case, but it is a distinct possibility.

You have been reported for violating the anti-JD agenda.  Prepare for sentencing.

• Haha 1

To be fair, all JD is asking is that Reddick shows up. Assumably, the plan was to offer him a mix of guaranteed money and additional incentives to keep him happy.
I don't think most players would see a huge issue with this tactic from the Jets - some of the other "holdouts" this off season have been "hold-ins" a la Aiyuk or Kamara. Reddick could be negotiating now if he took this route. Not to mention, it's not like he's on a low pay rookie deal like Lamb or Aiyuk, where he didn't get to negotiate the pay grade.
Not saying the optics are great, but I'm not worried about how other players perceive this. We gave Smith and Williams solid deals. We've paid a couple home grown players recently. Jets players aren't coming out and campaigning for Reddick. If anything, the worst look here is just that the jets look dumb, not greedy/unwilling to pay.

If you think players are pro management and not pro player, you are living in fantasy land.

Also Costello wrote that Jets management won’t negotiate with a hold in

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, ARodJetsFan said:

They have contracts so you don't have to take people at their word.  They've been around a long time. 

Taking players or GM's at their word isn't a thing in today's sports.  

I don't know what was promised or what wasn't but the unavoidable reality is the Jets traded for a player under contract that wasn't prepared to play under that contract.   

• Upvote 1

• slats changed the title to Hassan Reddick Holding Out, Requests Trade