The NFL announced this week that all 32 teams will be implementing facial recognition software to verify the identity of everyone in the stadium

Jeez more disinformation.  Then when someone refutes it with actual facts it gets blown over.  

Many thoughts. There is a new program for ‘24 that doesn’t apply to or affect fans. It was tested last season in 6 stadiums. This is only for individuals w/ working credentials – team/gameday personnel, vendors & media. These ppl have already submitted their photo as part of the process & this system will make it more efficient and secure.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, rex-n-effect said:

This will become another income stream for teams. If you're put off by this, wait until you find out that the major social media platforms have profiles for you regardless of your decision to sign up for an account with them. 

Have you downloaded any apps on your phone anything?  McDonald’s, Starbucks, DAZN, etc. Literally every phone number you ever called, place you travel to etc is being sold as metadata to third parties 

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

It's not government, so your "1984" reference is entirely misguided.

It's not mandatory, so if your wish for "freedom from scans" is this strong, you can take personal responsibility and simply not go to games.

What actual harm are you theorizing is being done here?  In 1984, scans and the like were used to actually harm dissidents and people who broke the laws of the fascist state.  The NFL is not a fascist state, carries no power of law, and the scan system is being used to 1. secure the facility in an effort to make sure someone doesn't get in a blow it up or mass shoot it, and 2. to get fans in faster (like in MLB) and easier.

So what harm are you seeing here, specifically?  How are you harmed by this?

All of these data bases that trace our movements, figure out the stuff we like and dislike, are all harmless until the data is sold and you're victimized.  

Freedom to go about your business without being traced and having your spending habits, locations, etc.,etc.,etc doesn't harm us either.  Aren't you tired of the survalance state even at the corporate level?  It implies we are either criminals are just another transaction waiting for the next corporate grift.

Of course our movements, where we spend money, what entertainment we are willing to spend money on isn't our business anymore.  It's just data.  However the data does have value because it's sold all day long.

In a Kleptocracy the 1984 refrence still applies.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Have you downloaded any apps on your phone anything?  McDonald’s, Starbucks, DAZN, etc. Literally every phone number you ever called, place you travel to etc is being sold as metadata to third parties 

Agreed but my point is that companies have profiles for you that they sell to other advertisers even when you never downloaded their apps. Like maybe you've never had a facebook or instagram account and you've never downloaded their apps. They have a ghost profile for you that they sell to advertisers based upon information they've compiled about you from other users and data they've purchased. 

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Biggs said:

All of these data bases that trace our movements, figure out the stuff we like and dislike, are all harmless until the data is sold and you're victimized.

Victimized how, specifically?

Freedom to go about your business without being traced and having your spending habits, locations, etc.,etc.,etc doesn't harm us either. Aren't you tired of the survalance state even at the corporate level?  It implies we are either criminals are just another transaction waiting for the next corporate grift.

In capitalism, everything is a commodity.  Us, our labor, our data, everything that can be exploited, monetized and commodified will be.  No one said it was fair.  

You're not some kind of free-market capitalism hating communist, are you?  You want big government to regulate business management of freely given data?

In a Kleptocracy the 1984 refrence still applies.  

It's not theft if you give it freely. 

Don't want to be scanned at a hypothetical sports event, don't go to the sports event.  Problem solved.  Don't want google to track you, use appropriate blockers, don't use google chrome, don't use the google search function, etc.

Not sure why you care that much, honestly, seems a bit paranoid, like you think they (business) is somehow out to get you, when mostly they're just out to offer to sell sh*t to you.

And again, unless it's a fascist government stomping on humans backs, literally, then no, the 1984 reference is just wrong.  Google giving you a customized ad for Jets Hats on a website is distinctly a first world problem, not tyranny waiting to happen.

14 hours ago, Warfish said:

Victimized how, specifically?

In capitalism, everything is a commodity.  Us, our labor, our data, everything that can be exploited, monetized and commodified will be.  No one said it was fair.  

You're not some kind of free-market capitalism hating communist, are you?  You want big government to regulate business management of freely given data?

It's not theft if you give it freely. 

Don't want to be scanned at a hypothetical sports event, don't go to the sports event.  Problem solved.  Don't want google to track you, use appropriate blockers, don't use google chrome, don't use the google search function, etc.

Not sure why you care that much, honestly, seems a bit paranoid, like you think they (business) is somehow out to get you, when mostly they're just out to offer to sell sh*t to you.

And again, unless it's a fascist government stomping on humans backs, literally, then no, the 1984 reference is just wrong.  Google giving you a customized ad for Jets Hats on a website is distinctly a first world problem, not tyranny waiting to happen.

Maybe I'm just an old fool waxing nostalgic about a time when i wasn't a slice of data to be turned into a commodity and anonymously could go to sporting event without being tracked and scanned.  

Im sure the next generation will be cool with a tracking device put into them at birth.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

Every electronic piece of data is collected by echelon. Don’t worry though, it’s not used for anything non military 😉

we haven’t had privacy since the 60s. It’s a total illusion. 

IMG_0401.jpeg

Sure the East German Stasi would've killed for this technology but I'm sure it'll be fine here! 

"They just want to sell us stuff!"

"Welcome to 2030. I own nothing, have no privacy, and life has never been better"

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Sure the East German Stasi would've killed for this technology but I'm sure it'll be fine here! 

"They just want to sell us stuff!"

"Welcome to 2030. I own nothing, have no privacy, and life has never been better"

So your fear here is that the U.S. version of the East German Stasi exists, and will be coming for you, because of facial recognition of employees at NFL stadiums and for fans who use it for faster stadium entrance in some places?

And you fear that in 2023 you will "own nothing" as compared to today.

Interesting.  And enlightening in a way too.

Just curious, but do you have a subscription to "Prepper" magazine, and a 2 year supply of "My Patriot Supply" food as yet, or no?

• Haha 3

Just now, Warfish said:

So your fear here is that the U.S. version of the East German Stasi exists, and will be coming for you, because of facial recognition of employees at NFL stadiums and for fans who use it for faster stadium entrance in some places?

No politics please 

• Upvote 1

On 8/7/2024 at 2:21 PM, rex-n-effect said:

Agreed but my point is that companies have profiles for you that they sell to other advertisers even when you never downloaded their apps. Like maybe you've never had a facebook or instagram account and you've never downloaded their apps. They have a ghost profile for you that they sell to advertisers based upon information they've compiled about you from other users and data they've purchased. 

I deleted facebook 4 years ago and never used instagram.  It feels great

• Upvote 2

So now you'll have to be lined up at the gate at 11AM for a 1PM start because face recognition software. GREAT! Really has the NJSEA seen the people the NJSEA hires to work the gate? And you're gonna give these barely employables  MORE TECH and think it will make things any better? 

Not sure the Giants and Jets grasp that they have the single worst game day experience for sports fans in North American pro sports. So you're charging me top dollar to be treated somewhere between cattle going to slaughter and general population at Rikers? Yeah, hard pass. 

20 hours ago, Warfish said:

Just curious, but do you have a subscription to "Prepper" magazine, and a 2 year supply of "My Patriot Supply" food as yet, or no?

"Faster stadium entrance" HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! 

"Sorry, the facial recognition isn't working so great. Let's try this again". Administered by the people who are...working the gate at an Jets game on a Sunday morning. My son, being a Local 3 electrician, forgot he had some specialized battery equipment in his jacket. You would have thought he was Lee Harvey Oswald carrying his Enfield. No sense of "Hey, come over here and check it ". No treated like he was carrying a gun. 

MSG, UBS, The Rock, Barclays; there's security, but they're professional. MetLife is a horror show  run by incompetents. 

On 8/6/2024 at 7:24 PM, TuscanyTile2 said:

And now, local, state and federal government will have strict laws against wearing any masks or face coverings of any kind at any time anywhere in public.  <wink>

• Upvote 1

On 8/7/2024 at 12:41 PM, ChewyandtheJets said:

Jeez more disinformation.  Then when someone refutes it with actual facts it gets blown over.  

Many thoughts. There is a new program for ‘24 that doesn’t apply to or affect fans. It was tested last season in 6 stadiums. This is only for individuals w/ working credentials – team/gameday personnel, vendors & media. These ppl have already submitted their photo as part of the process & this system will make it more efficient and secure.

That's how it starts... But rest assured, you won't be seeing facial recognition tech everywhere.  You'll never see it when you go to vote. 

Tech is tech.  Good guys can use it.  Bad guys can use it.  

15 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

You are 180 degrees out, my good man.  It was JD that uttered the immortal words... "I will BRRRRREAK you like pretzel"

you are correct sir - but as the urban legend goes I thought he said something to JD to make him react in those words?

24 minutes ago, Trotter said:

you are correct sir - but as the urban legend goes I thought he said something to JD to make him react in those words?

Mr. Kevin did indeed taunt JD with his bad judgment in drafting ZW, but it was JD that started with the threats of pretzel breaking.