Be ready for a new regime in 2025

5 hours ago, redlichtie said:

Gonna be so Jets fans when we are all here with pitchforks at the ready after a 15-2 Super Bowl run ends with our free agent coach & GM tandem poached by the Patriots after Woody failed to lock up Saleh & Douglas long term 

I go back so far as a Jets fan the pitchfork wasn't invented yet.  I have a wooden spoon at the ready.

• Haha 4

50 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

They did the same with sanchez when they could have had Russell, but they couldn’t admit a mistake and gave him more money.  

Yep.  Handing a young QB the reins to the franchise thru hell and high water just screams out as a “Woody thing”.  Multiple regimes doing the same thing over and over can’t be a coincidence.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

You think that’s good enough? I don’t. They’re going to need a new QB next year and I’d like JD to not be responsible for picking that person. He’s done enough QB damage. 

How many times have the Jets won the division and hosted a home playoff game in your lifetime?

🤡

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Bronx said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/40740207/new-york-jets-haason-reddick-holdout-continues

Johnson voiced his displeasure with last season's 7-10 finish, essentially putting Douglas and coach Robert Saleh on notice. Perhaps not coincidentally, nearly every veteran acquisition in the offseason was signed to a one-year contract. Notably, Rodgers, 40, has only one year remaining in guaranteed money

One agent theorized Johnson is reluctant to dole out a mega-contract, hedging his bets in case he decides to start over in 2025.

There's no doubt in my mind they'll all be gone at the end of the season. But it won't matter. The team will continue to be a mess as long as Johnson is at the top of the pyramid.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

The only thing I’ve wanted is to watch competent QB play.  If Rodgers stays healthy, we’ll get that.  I don’t care about next year.

Those of you who have gone either SB or bust, or blow up and start again are off your f*cking rockers.

You can’t reasonably expect to go from Zach Wilson-AGNB-60% to winning the SB. And you sure as hell can’t expect starting over and drafting a young QB will magically work for this franchise on try #743.

If needed, we're sure to have this conversation in January. Got 17 games with arguably the best QB this franchise has ever had. even diminished, Rodgers can be that good. 

As an aside, can say as a fantasy guy for a long time through Rodgers' career, often looked like the coach in GB was the problem, not him. Packers would jump out to a big lead and then McCarthy started coaching to a competitive game. NOBODY should have any issue with Rodgers being the de facto OC. We're in for a penny, in for a pound. 

We've had so much bad stuff. Let's at least hope we enjoy the ride for a change. 

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Bugg said:

If needed, we're sure to have this conversation in January. Got 17 games with arguably the best QB this franchise has ever had. even diminished, Rodgers can be that good. 

As an aside, can say as a fantasy guy for a long time through Rodgers' career, often looked like the coach in GB was the problem, not him. NOBODY should have any issue with Rodgers being the de facto OC. We're in for a penny, in for a pound. 

We've had so much bad stuff. Let's at least hope we enjoy the ride for a change. 

There will be lots of shifting in the OL this year, per SOP.

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Belicheck was 36-44 in 4 years at Browns before being fired... How did that turn out... You think browns wished they kept him... Just a comparison of how the record doesn't show the whole story.. Not comparing them. 

the record tells the entire story-Joe has a terrible one and no playoff trips and no playoff wins-he is almost 30 games under 500

The Jets' record is 27-56 with Douglas in charge and they have missed the playoffs in all five of his years on the job. 

The browns got rid of a coach that took them to the playoffs and won a playoff game he also had the number one d that year-he showed signs of promise and had  success-Joe has not-lots easier to argue they should have kept BB 

Big difference between being 8 games under 500 and almost 30 games under 500

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Dcat said:

What would they all be yapping about if Reddick were not a situation?  No doubt they would find something else and abuse it.

There's always something, but this was a gift from the gods.  No fruit has ever hung lower.

I have been very unhappy with Saleh, but he appears to have finally learned.  He's holding the players accountable and taking a different approach to things this year.  I've only become more negative on JD in the last year.  He's definitely made too many big mistakes, but as another poster said earlier in this thread, building a team is not an exact science.  He has done more good than bad, and we have an excellent roster with a LOT of young talent.  We have an excellent young core of talent that can and should keep this team competitive and relevant for the forseeable future.  The additions this year in the draft of Fashanu, Corley, Allen, Davis, and Stiggers all look good so far.  Even Key has made some plays and has some potential.  A 6th round addition from last year, JBC, who barely played last season due to injury, had looked awesome in TC.  FA additions this year of Kinlaw, Fotu, Clark, Simpson, Allen, Moses, Taylor, Lavao, Watt, Peasley and Martinez all look like solid, if not great, additions, and Mike Williams is practicing. Takk McKinley has looked excellent in TC and could wind up making the team.  I had gotten down on JD and thinking that maybe he should go if the team doesn't make the playoffs, but Sarge is right (thanks for the great convo, Sarge) he has done his job.  The rest is up to the CS and the players.

I don't think that anyone (at least anyone in their right mind) trusts that Woody Johnson would make good hires to replace JD and Saleh.  The team needs stability.  If they have a winning season and look good or make the playoffs, then I say everyone stays.  If they don't at least have a winning record of 10-7, if not 11-6 (barring catastrophic injuries), then I think Saleh should go, but JD stays.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, oatmeal said:

What’s that saying ; pride before the fall or something like that ? 

It’s funny because these 300 IQ goofys really think the flaky hippie will save them 

Rodgers only has one SB for a reason

That reason is Joe McCarthy

4 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

You think that’s good enough? I don’t. They’re going to need a new QB next year and I’d like JD to not be responsible for picking that person. He’s done enough QB damage. 

He missed on Wilson during the Covid mess.  I can't really fault him for that, especially with Zach's arm talent, but I do fault him for not having a veteran to start while Zach sat for a year or two, and for not making Saleh hire a good, experienced OC and QB Coach, rather than hiring total rookies at both positions.  So far his QB additions this year, Peasley and Martinez look pretty good, and the jury is still out on Travis.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, oatmeal said:

What’s that saying ; pride before the fall or something like that ? 

It’s funny because these 300 IQ goofys really think the flaky hippie will save them 

Rodgers only has one SB for a reason

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/defenseless-how-defense-led-to-decade-of-disappointment

https://www.espn.co.uk/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/92361/history-says-jets-aaron-rodgers-always-wins-big-with-a-strong-defense

• Upvote 3

• As I said in the Reddick thread, Woody has bet in 2024 and has bet that he is going to fire JD and Saleh.   He is damned either way.  If they do well, they will hold him up or go to another team(s).  If they don’t do well, he fires them and screws them out of their usual last contract year that most fired GM/HCs get.  
  • The one year player contracts basically mean that even if JD/Saleh are extended, they have a lot of work to do this year.
  • I think based on everything we have seen thus far, it is clear that JD and Saleh are developing, in an up and down way, and have learned.  I would give them a mid-term extension for reasonable raises.   Let’s say 2 years.  I think that would promote more stability and send a better message. 
  • Maybe that happens right before the regular season starts, if pre-season continues to look good (for preseason).   If AR8 or GW get hurt in preseason, no sense extending-just assume they are getting fired.  
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

The bad picks were obviously at LT and qb and that’s usually enough to get a gm fired.  The only reason douglas is still here is b/c woody wants to play out the rodgers experiment.  Whether that does well enough to buy douglas an extension and another shot at a franchise qb, well we’ll see

I don't think that's the only reason that JD is still here.  He's done a lot more good than bad.  The Becton and Z. Wilson picks hurt a lot, but it is understandable why he took both.  It's not like they were huge reaches and misses.  If he traded for Reddick without Reddick promising to be here, then that's definitely a big black mark against him, but I've seen nothing to make me think that is the case.  I think that Reddick either lied or changed his mind (perhaps at his agent's insistance).

This is a stacked roster.  The Jets haven't had talent like this very many times in their history - the late '60s when they won SB III in '69, the mid '80s with Klecko, Gastineau, McNeil, Walker, Toon et al, and maybe 2008-2009.  JD shouldn't go anywhere.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Dcat said:

What would they all be yapping about if Reddick were not a situation?  No doubt they would find something else and abuse it.

the jets have at a minimum top 5 roster including depth in their history

Arguably the best all round QB in their history and in no way am I being disrespectful to Namath - he is and always will be best for me and the ultimate Jet but considering his knees and Rodgers overall skills, the argument can be made for 2024 Rodgers can be the best for at least that 1 year.

Potential to have an all time special teams squad.

Coaching is suspect and in some area's has to prove itself.

GM is one of the best this team has had from a roster build perspective with possibly a worse record then his predecessors. Both of these can be true.

Yet here we are planning for doom in 2025. I like many of you have been kicked in the onions time after time with this team, yet we always come back for more. So what happens at the worst? It implodes and we get kicked again only to come back with the doom and gloom or embrace what is in front of this team and for once (and I am really trying) stay positive, enjoy the ride and quite possibly one of the best seasons in Jet history certainly in the last 15-20 years.

Give it a chance - we have all seen the bad - let it ride and hopefully meet each other at a tailgate for a home playoff game.   

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, varjet said:
  • As I said in the Reddick thread, Woody has bet in 2024 and has bet that he is going to fire JD and Saleh.   He is damned either way.  If they do well, they will hold him up or go to another team(s).  If they don’t do well, he fires them and screws them out of their usual last contract year that most fired GM/HCs get.  
  • The one year contracts basically mean that even if JD/Saleh are extended, they have a lot of work to do this year.
  • I think based on everything we have seen thus far, it is clear that JD and Saleh are developing, in an up and down way, and have learned.  I would give them a mid-term extension for reasonable raises.   Let’s say 2 years.  I think that would promote more stability and send a better message. 
  • Maybe that happens right before the regular season starts, if pre-season continues to look good (for preseason).   If AR8 or GW get hurt in preseason, no sense extending-just assume they are getting fired.  

I would give a 2-year extension to JD right now IF and only if he is not to blame for the Reddick situation.  I wouldn't give one to Saleh at this point, although he appears to have finally learned.  If the Jets do well this season, then I would give him an extension of 2-3 years.

1 hour ago, kmnj said:

the record tells the entire story-Joe has a terrible one and no playoff trips and no playoff wins-he is almost 30 games under 500

The Jets' record is 27-56 with Douglas in charge and they have missed the playoffs in all five of his years on the job. 

The browns got rid of a coach that took them to the playoffs and won a playoff game he also had the number one d that year-he showed signs of promise and had  success-Joe has not-lots easier to argue they should have kept BB 

Big difference between being 8 games under 500 and almost 30 games under 500

I guess that you forgot that he was hired after FA and the draft his first year, and he inherited the worst HC in Jets' history and the worst roster in the NFL.  He had to totally gut the roster, clean up the cap, and then had a lot of bad luck with injuries.  I didn't want Saleh, but he was the consensus best candidate.  I think JD made a mistake by not forcing Saleh to hire an experienced OC and QB Coach and for not bringing in a quality veteran QB to start and mentor Zach, but that was a rookie mistake.

JD has added talent and brought in players with high character.  There have been very few embarrassing off-field events during his tenure.  No one is going to win with the talent the Jets had in JD's first 2-3 years, and least not most rookie HCs, and JD can only hire from what/who is available.

The W-L record hangs on the CS, not the GM, at least not to the extent that you're trying to hang it on JD.

We also have no idea how many times Woody has meddled and made JD make a move that he didn't want to or prevented him from making a move he wanted to make.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

I don't think that's the only reason that JD is still here.  He's done a lot more good than bad.  The Becton and Z. Wilson picks hurt a lot, but it is understandable why he took both.  It's not like they were huge reaches and misses.  If he traded for Reddick without Reddick promising to be here, then that's definitely a big black mark against him, but I've seen nothing to make me think that is the case.  I think that Reddick either lied or changed his mind (perhaps at his agent's insistance).

This is a stacked roster.  The Jets haven't had talent like this very many times in their history - the late '60s when they won SB III in '69, the mid '80s with Klecko, Gastineau, McNeil, Walker, Toon et al, and maybe 2008-2009.  JD shouldn't go anywhere.

Well stated and logical.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

24 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

He missed on Wilson during the Covid mess.  I can't really fault him for that, especially with Zach's arm talent, but I do fault him for not having a veteran to start while Zach sat for a year or two, and for not making Saleh hire a good, experienced OC and QB Coach, rather than hiring total rookies at both positions.  So far his QB additions this year, Peasley and Martinez look pretty good, and the jury is still out on Travis.

JD doesn’t fully understand the qb position that’s why he drafted not only Zach Wilson but Captain Morgan and Brooks Bollinger Jr Jordan Travis.  He also signed Boyle who is atrocious 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

I guess that you forgot that he was hired after FA and the draft his first year, and he inherited the worst HC in Jets' history and the worst roster in the NFL.  He had to totally gut the roster, clean up the cap, and then had a lot of bad luck with injuries.  I didn't want Saleh, but he was the consensus best candidate.  I think JD made a mistake by not forcing Saleh to hire an experienced OC and QB Coach and for not bringing in a quality veteran QB to start and mentor Zach, but that was a rookie mistake.

JD has added talent and brought in players with high character.  There have been very few embarrassing off-field events during his tenure.  No one is going to win with the talent the Jets had in JD's first 2-3 years, and least not most rookie HCs, and JD can only hire from what/who is available.

The W-L record hangs on the CS, not the GM, at least not to the extent that you're trying to hang it on JD.

We also have no idea how many times Woody has meddled and made JD make a move that he didn't want to or prevented him from making a move he wanted to make.

please the gm is 100% responsible for the teams record-he hired the coach and picked the players- he literally has his hands all over everything- 

Joe missed on the most important positions in football-QB and Tackle with first round picks-that set the jets back 3 years -his free agents for the most part have been bad-his wr room has been beyond terrible from Periman , Mims too Corey Davis to Lazzard how many more you want me to name?)  his entire tenure (he finally got one solid wr in wilson a first round pick not exactly rocket science taking him)-the Williams pick up is low risk high reward but odds are he wont stay healthy. 

During Joes tenure we have watched scrub teams all improve faster and leap frog us

Texans, Browns , Jags , Lions to name a few-I would argue the bears are set up better too.

I would love for team to win-I have see over 300 jet games in person going back to a tiny kid a shea -not many can say such a thing but I have zero confidence in Joe and his almost 30 games below 500 record. If Joes team and it is Joes team gets to the playoffs and goes on a run extend him and his coach-if not you fire him-you are accountable and judged by performance not hope and what looks good on paper

• Ugh 1

1 minute ago, kmnj said:

please the gm is 100% responsible for the teams record-he hired the coach and picked the players- he literally has his hands all over everything- 

Joe missed on the most important positions in football-QB and Tackle with first round picks-that set the jets back 3 years -his free agents for the most part have been bad-his wr room has been beyond terrible from Periman , Mims too Corey Davis to Lazzard how many more you want me to name?)  his entire tenure (he finally got one solid wr in wilson a first round pick not exactly rocket science taking him)-the Williams pick up is low risk high reward but odds are he wont stay healthy. 

During Joes tenure we have watched scrub teams all improve faster and leap frog us

Texans, Browns , Jags , Lions to name a few-I would argue the bears are set up better too.

I would love for team to win-I have see over 300 jet games in person going back to a tiny kid a shea -not many can say such a thing but I have zero confidence in Joe and his almost 30 games below 500 record. If Joes team and it is Joes team gets to the playoffs and goes on a run extend him and his coach-if not you fire him-you are accountable and judged by performance not hope and what looks good on paper

And got do overs at both positions.  And if this year goes well he’ll get to draft another qb. 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

The best decisions Robert Saleh ever made were hiring of his original (LaFleur, Brich) coordinators and retention of Boyer.

How he’s handled everything else has been atrocious.

and he is Joe's guy his handpicked guy-

1 hour ago, kmnj said:

Yes, he hired Saleh, but Saleh was the consensus best HC candidate available.  JD has no control over who is available and how isn't.  I have been upset with him for allowing Saleh to hire a rookie OC and rookie QB Coach, but can understand that may have been a condition that Saleh set for taking the job, and that JD wanted to have a good working relationship with the HC and not alienate him immediately.  Having an adverse relationship between the GM and HC never works for long.

Every GM makes mistakes.  Ozzie Newsome made his share.  Yes, it took Joe longer to build the team than perhaps it should have, and we still don't have a QB of the future, but we have a loaded roster otherwise.  I understand where you're coming from.  I've been down on him a lot this last year, but he made some significant additions to the team this offseason.  For me, the key will be how he handles the upcoming offseason.  Who he re-signs/keeps and who he lets walk in FA or is unable to re-sign.

I also think that the idea that any GM could have turned this team around faster with the Jets roster he inherited and the HC candidates who were availble is not realistic.  At the time I wanted Daboll, but I didn't know about his anger issues, and he certainly hasn't proved to be much, if any better than Saleh.

The bottom line is, even if he is fired, the chances of Woody hiring someone any better are slim and none.  All it will accomplish is making the same mistake that has happened so many times in Jets' history...with a new GM and CS, schemes will change, many of the personnel we have won't fit the new scheme, so the team will be starting over with yet another rebuild.  That goes nowhere.  More than likely, if JD is fired, we wind up with another Idzik or Mac at GM.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

The best decisions Robert Saleh ever made were hiring of his original (LaFleur, Brich) coordinators and retention of Boyer.

I agree with you on Brich and Boyer, but not MLF.  That's just laughable.  He was awful.  The only reason he got the job was because he was Saleh's best friend's kid brother.  He was nowhere near ready to be an NFL OC.

4 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Please on LaFleur, LaFleur was literally the main one responsible for ZW, and than when he had zero ability to play QB, trotted him out there, ignored his awful mechanics, and than put all the blame on ZW. LaFleur had zero business taking over a team plannig on drafintg a rookie QB, that was a God awful hire. He may end up a good coordinator, but that was the absolute wrong spot to bring in LaFleur. Saleh is a Fugaze HC, he sucks, awful, LaFleur was an awful move

11 hours ago, rangerous said:

I think a bigger question is, if the team does succeed, do Douglas and saleh get long term contracts?  Honestly, I can’t see saleh even wanting to stick around, win or lose.

I see it very differently.  I think Saleh desperately wants to stick around.  

• Haha 1