Jets Cuts To 53 (official thread )

2 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Aaron Wilson @AaronWilson_NFL

#Jets are releasing running back Xavian Valladay a former @ASU  standout and #Texans player, per a league source 
@KPRC2

I suspect he'll be back soon, on the PS.

• Upvote 4

54 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Yeah, but why help 3rd QBs at the expense of other positions? That's what I don't understand. The NFLPA represents all players, not just QBs, and this will mean teams carrying a 3rd QB on the 53 when another player at another position might be more deserving - and more likely to contribute, and earn incentives etc.

I'd imagine the NFLPA's argument is that the owners are trying to get away with having 54 players locked in while only having to pay 53 of them the vet minimums (or more of course).

If the owners want an extra spot, then the PA has reason to insist they should pay up for the 54th player. They already allow the weekly roster promotions, but it comes with a limit specifically to avoid that situation.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

That is not best case for him.  Nobody knows how he is going to play once he is fully healed.

How about we wait and see what he looks like next year before we make claims like hes "never" suiting up for the Jets.

This^^^

We got 32 NFL teams who can't figure out what a good NFL QB is.   But these fuzznutz on this board got him figured out before he even puts on a Jets uniform. 
Dude could turn out to be elite for all anybody knows.  

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, C Mart said:

Tom Pelissero @TomPelissero

Important note as teams construct their initial 53-man rosters:

NFL teams were informed that the NFLPA vetoed the revised Emergency 3rd Quarterback rule that would have allowed teams to elevate a bona fide QB from the practice squad an unlimited number of times.

So, the rule reverted to the 2023 version, which says the emergency third QB must be on the 53-man roster, not an elevation.

What an awful awful awful decision to revert.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, C Mart said:

NFL teams were informed that the NFLPA vetoed the revised Emergency 3rd Quarterback rule that would have allowed teams to elevate a bona fide QB from the practice squad an unlimited number of times.

So, the rule reverted to the 2023 version, which says the emergency third QB must be on the 53-man roster, not an elevation.

This is confusing.  Not allowing the QB to elevated an unlimted number of times is one thing, but this seems to say that you can't elevate the 3rd QB at all and they have to be on the 53 man roster.

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Not sure. It was already like that when I got here. LOL

@BP

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Did you ever watch the kid play? He’s a superstar 

He may be, but at his size, he's not likely to play 17 games per season, and he doesn't have the arm strength for NE winters.  He's not going to be a superstar in the NFL, at least not with the Jets.  He might be able to be a superstar with a warm weather or dome team, but not a NE team.

2 hours ago, C Mart said:

Thanks for this info.  I think that's a terrible decision by the NFLPA, but I understand why they did it.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, C Mart said:

It's 2024 and we can't have 65-70 man active rosters. It's absurd 

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, mrcoops said:

Wow. I thought the proposed change was a good move.

What does the NFLPA gain from this? Why do they want 3rd QBs to be on the 53, rather than the PS? That will potentially rob a deserving player at another position of a roster spot, just so teams can carry a 3rd QB who is unlikely to ever play.

Because if the team is planning on having a player on the roster every week of the season (or most weeks) they should pay that player as though he's a full-roster player

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Following Saturday's preseason game vs the Gnats, this is my revised roster of whom I think the Jets will keep.  Personally, I'd axe Clemons and keep Brownlee or Watts or someone else.

Offense (25)

QB (2) – Rodgers, Taylor

RB (4) – Hall, Allen, Davis, Abanikanda

WR (6) – Wilson, Williams, Corley, Gipson, Lazard, Charles

TE (3) – Conklin, Ruckert, Yeboah

OL (10) – Smith, Simpson, Tippman, AVT, Moses, Fashanu, Schweitzer, Warren, Levao, Newman

Defense (25)

DL (11) – JJ, Q, Kinlaw, Clemons, McDonald, Foku, Thomas, McKinley, Taylor, McGregor, Holmes

LB (4) – Mosely, Q Williams, Sherwood, Barnes

CB (6)– Sauce, Reed, JBC, Stiggers, Echols, MC II

S (4) – Adams, Clark, Davis, Oliver

Holmes had a great preseason and TC. He might wind up starting over Clemons. I think McGregor might be able to replace either as the starter by at some point during the season if he keeps developing as quickly as he has. If the Jets only keep 10 DL, then I think Clemons should be the one to go.

PS (16) These are the players that I think the Jets want to make it to the PS. Whether they will or not remains to be seen. JD usually signs a cut or two from other teams. If he does this year, I think it will be at one of 4 positions: QB, S, WR, and IOL (in that order). I have changed my mind at QB, and don't think the Jets should keep either QB. Martinez is athletic and experienced, but holds the ball too long, his accuracy and arm strength are lacking, as is anticipation. Peasley has the better arm, but wasn't able to do anything with the scrubs in one week, whereas Martinez was in the 1st preseason game.

That's where his experience paid off. I have 14 of the 16 spots filled assuming the other 3 would either be from players cut from other teams or perhaps other players they like that I didn't notice. I think that they might want to keep Siebert, but after having been perfect in preseason action, I don't think there's any chance that he'll make it through waivers.

QB -

RB -

WR - Tyler Harrell, Brandon Smith

TE - Kuntz, Firkser

OL - Latham, Mitchell

Edge - Watts

LB - Surratt, Eguavoen

DT - Hector

CB - Swilling, Codrington

S - Key, Monroe

*Foreign Exemption - Obinna Eze (doesn't count in the 16 PS players)

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, ARodJetsFan said:

This is a red-shirt year for Travis and I think that was widely known to be a very real possibility, when he was drafted, hence his late 5th round selection.

Jordan Travis will have a chance to make his case next off-season, which will give him this whole season, to study & absorb the playbook.

If he heals up well, he could surprise next off-season.

he will most likely be gone when his contract is up.  2025 drat will probably see the jets selecting what they hope will be the qb of the future.  considering that rodgers may very well be the starter in 2025, they have an entire season to groom the qb they end up drafting.  if not, tyrod may wind up with a starting role as the new guy sits and learns.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Doesn't matter, Geno Smith is definitely ready to take the next step in his long-term Jets greatness this year, right?

He’s been pretty good the last few years. 

17 minutes ago, slats said:

He’s been pretty good the last few years. 

Don't be silly, you're suddenly acting like he's been in the league over a decade now or something, as opposed to going into only his second year pro as the immortal Matt Simms starts to nip at his heels as the #3 QB.