Loss was expected in SF - Will be 4-1 after 5 games

Not many predicted the Jets would beat the 49ers in SF, but sure, we all hoped they would. The defense is concerning. But with games against the Titans (away), Pats (home), Broncos (home) and Vikings home) upcoming, prior to our game against the Bills, I truly believe we will be 4-1 after 5 games. 

Not many talking about how solid Aaron Rodgers looked.  Not his fault, the defense gave him very little opportunity to possess the ball. The offensive line was good in protection. Could be better in the running game, but again, we were playing a super bowl caliber team in their stadium. CMC or no CMC, they are a top tier team. Aaron Rodgers postgame showed us what it is to be a leader, taking the blame for the bad throw. Didn't point any fingers. No panic. The rust is gone. 

We will rebound with 4 straight victories. Heard it here first. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

I hope the OP is right. Would love nothing more than see the Jets succeed and book themselves a spot in the playoffs.

My local team won three consecutive premierships between 2013-2015, played finals in 2016 and 2018, then bottomed out pretty spectacularly. Started this season 0-5 and I thought that we'd possibly be looking for a new head coach at the end of the season. Instead, they turned it around and made it to the finals. Won the elimination final last Friday night and playing a semi-final next Friday night. Win that, they're into the preliminary final, and after that, a grand final.

Watching your team play finals (or playoff) football is fun. Hope it happens for the Jets this season.

• Upvote 1

Truth be told that was exactly what the defense needed. They were reading their own press clippings for too long and now they got humbled on national TV.

Hopefully the pride kicks in and they use this embarrassment as motivation.

Sent from the FOREVER AND EVER Suicide Watch desk.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Jdeet said:

Not many predicted the Jets would beat the 49ers in SF, but sure, we all hoped they would. The defense is concerning. But with games against the Titans (away), Pats (home), Broncos (home) and Vikings home) upcoming, prior to our game against the Bills, I truly believe we will be 4-1 after 5 games. 

Not many talking about how solid Aaron Rodgers looked.  Not his fault, the defense gave him very little opportunity to possess the ball. The offensive line was good in protection. Could be better in the running game, but again, we were playing a super bowl caliber team in their stadium. CMC or no CMC, they are a top tier team. Aaron Rodgers postgame showed us what it is to be a leader, taking the blame for the bad throw. Didn't point any fingers. No panic. The rust is gone. 

Uh Huh Yes GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

Nothing a good night sleep, a home dump and change of underwear can’t fix.  This is a top 5 NFL roster after all with Aaron Rodgers at QB.  Fast forward to game 6 with the 4 and 1 record.  It’s really really going to happen for this team because nice things do happen..  I’ve read and heard about it at least a couple of times in my 58 years of rooting for the Jets.

Nice work by the OP on re-inflating his chest after that beat down.  What kind of pump are you using?   

• Haha 1

i have been saying all off season the defense is good, but not elite or even great. it was worse than i had expected though. completely outclassed and made a back-up rb look like jim brown. just a completely sad showing. saleh has a concerning habit of not being able to adjust from his scheme. we got no pass rush and yet still no adjustment. couldnt stop the run and still no real adjustment. he is a sh*t coach

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

I think there's a misconception about what 'expected' means. When you spend the time before the game saying they'll win.. that does not mean you expected a loss.

Every time I start to believe I start to feel punked.  I’m going to go play with my Hess Truck my dad got me for Christmas in 1967.  It makes me feel good.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, jetspenguin said:

Truth be told that was exactly what the defense needed. They were reading their own press clippings for too long and now they got humbled on national TV.

Hopefully the pride kicks in and they use this embarrassment as motivation.

Sent from the FOREVER AND EVER Suicide Watch desk.

Exactly!  Plus the power puff preseason (no game action) really hurt. I trust we're better than this and it'll show next week. 

Salah has to mix some sharp criticism and tough love in with his constant praise ala Parcells. He was the master motivator. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Eh, best to take a wait and see approach now. 

the jets have a LOT to prove 

That’s why it’s idiotic to hype this team. When’s the last time that the Jets proved or backed up anything? Exactly. Enough with the hype. We’ve been in “show me” mode for years and anyone with half a brain would know to temper expectations. 

Won big on the 49ers last night. Blowout was expected.

I am concerned by how pathetic the defence played. Rodgers was better than expected and I think this offence could be cooking by week 5-6.

The next few weeks is about grinding out some wins. Saleh needs to sort the f*cking defence out.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

33 minutes ago, JiFtheOracle said:

Oh no!  The Jets lost to the best team in the NFL on the road on prime time?  OMG what are we going to do??

Relax.

Will Levis, Jacoby Brissett, Bo Nix, Sam Darnold

4-1 here we come.

How do we know SF is the best team in football after game 1.  A little over reaction.  All they did was beat down a badly prepared NY Jets team at home.  You sound like they just won the SB.

I can see the positive spin, I get it. From my point of view, I didn’t like how the Jets looked: the DL was bullied. It consists of a 4th round pick at DE that many here wanted to cut in camp and a 1st rounder at DE who is undersized with one move, Williams and UDFA Jags. Did we ever get solid pressure? They made a backup RB look great. The LBers and Secondary were often out of position and beaten regularly on routes. 

On offense, way too many 3 and outs, one WR and yes, Hall sucked last night and looked a step slower.

Our coaching sucks.

2 minutes ago, Biggs said:

How do we know SF is the best team in football after game 1.  A little over reaction.  All they did was beat down a badly prepared NY Jets team at home.  You sound like they just won the SB.

They were just in the SB lol. 

Maybe not the league’s best but certainly among the elite.

Probably the best coached team in the league above all else.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Won big on the 49ers last night. Blowout was expected.

I am concerned by how pathetic the defence played. Rodgers was better than expected and I think this offence could be cooking by week 5-6.

The next few weeks is about grinding out some wins. Saleh needs to sort the f*cking defence out.

Rodgers looked okay. 

Lazard played really well (after a terrible drop at the start).  That was absolutely the single best thing to happen last night.  We badly need weapons at WR so that was encouraging.

• The Jets were expected to lose on the road even with CMC out.   They looked worse than expected. 
  • The Jets are supposed to be a team in the same class as the 49ers.  They are not. 
  • This is why JD/Saleh are on the last year of their contracts.  Woody rightfully needs to see them put a playoff quality team together.  they need to end up the first five games at least 3-2.  
  • When the 49ers had a horrible season and top draft pick, they did not reach for a QB-they took Nick Bosa.   The Jets took WM and not other better players, allowed Huff to walk and traded for Reddick who they mishandled.   All these little decisions add up.   That is the key here. 
  • I have the JD/Saleh Replace Meter at 55% Replace.  Let’s see how the rest of the season goes. 

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

Rodgers looked okay. 

Lazard played really well (after a terrible drop at the start).  That was absolutely the single best thing to happen last night.  We badly need weapons at WR so that was encouraging.

Most QB’s looked pretty bad week one and Rodgers and the Jets offence in general has more reason than most units to be out of sync.

The defence is more of a concern but the 49ers are a very good, well coached team that are masters of scheming guys open and making lanes for backs. If sh*t continues next week then it’s a problem. That unit really needs to destroy the Titans. 

I don’t think we’re a well coached team but there’s too much talent for us to be bad. Win some ugly games in the next few weeks while Rodgers gets into a groove and the hype will be back by Halloween. 

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

They were just in the SB lol. 

Maybe not the league’s best but certainly among the elite.

Probably the best coached team in the league above all else.

Shanahan has been out coached by really good football teams in the playoffs regularly.  They had two of their best offensive players walk on last week.  Their best offensive weapon was out.  Last year is irrelevant to this year.  In the NFL teams go up and down very quickly.  Nobody predicted NE was going into Cin and beating them.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Most QB’s looked pretty bad week one and Rodgers and the Jets offence in general has more reason than most units to be out of sync.

The defence is more of a concern but the 49ers are a very good, well coached team that are masters of scheming guys open and making lanes for backs. If sh*t continues next week then it’s a problem. That unit really needs to destroy the Titans. 

I don’t think we’re a well coached team but there’s too much talent for us to be bad. Win some ugly games in the next few weeks while Rodgers gets into a groove and the hype will be back by Halloween. 

Yep. Sloppy play around the league.  Lowest passing TD's opening day in like a decade.  Half as many as there were 3 years ago.  It's all symptomatic of the extended season and less preseason games.  

So many spots you can look at around the league and say, that wont last.  I'm pretty confident the Jets D getting smoked is one of them, not worried about Rodgers.  You got glimpses of the vintage HOF'er and he had a bunch of bone headed plays and drops by the team.  

Idk, it would be a welcome change to start slow, win some games along the way and catch fire at the end of the season going into the playoffs. 

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Jdeet said:

The great news is that if we make the playoffs and go up against lower-echelon QBs then we should be competitive!!!

i think if we are being honest with ourselves 95% of us had last night as a loss. yes the defense was bad especially against the rush. but again we are never good against the run.

and this is why you dont give Hall whatever he wants. he is a "feast or Famine" RB who is famine alot more then he is feasting.

what really bothered me was why did we keep running Hall when he obviously didnt have it last night. Allen is supposed to be good so why not give him some carries earlier and see if maybe he could have done something.

we were flat and this is why they should have got a quarter or 2 in preseason like SF and others did with their starters.

this is the 3rd week 1 that a Saleh coached OL looks like crap. maybe it has something to do with him never playing his starters in preseason?

8 minutes ago, JiFtheOracle said:

Yep. Sloppy play around the league.  Lowest passing TD's opening day in like a decade.  Half as many as there were 3 years ago.  It's all symptomatic of the extended season and less preseason games.  

So many spots you can look at around the league and say, that wont last.  I'm pretty confident the Jets D getting smoked is one of them, not worried about Rodgers.  You got glimpses of the vintage HOF'er and he had a bunch of bone headed plays and drops by the team.  

Idk, it would be a welcome change to start slow, win some games along the way and catch fire at the end of the season going into the playoffs. 

I was telling anyone who would listen that we were getting obliterated last night. We’re not ready for that game yet however talented the roster may be.

Saleh’s defences have always had weeks were they sh*t the bed. Hopefully this is just another of those and we beat the piss out of the Titans next week. If we’re bullied by their one dimensional offence next week then I’ll panic. 

Even listening to Rodgers interview pregame I think this is how he expected the early season to play out. There was always going to be growing pains with the amount of turnover around a QB coming off an achilles tear.

It’s rare that I’m among the optimists lol. People need to chill. Nothing is ****ed yet. 

• Upvote 1