CJ Mosley

THE BARON

6 minutes ago, GangisGreen said:

Mosley has been terrible the first two weeks

He's been very, very slow.  Slower than previous years IMO.

His injury is a toe (or so it was reported), I wonder if it's something that lingered from preseason/practice.

Or he just got too slow due to time and wear.  

Personally, I think the D started doing better primarily because Levis started playing worse (they're a bottom 10 offense for a reason), and the Jets O started playing better, more so than anything particularly special about Sherwood, who to be fair was at least similarly productive in clean-up tackles as Moseley usually had been in previous years.  QW also played brilliantly, it should be noted.  Trending towards another great year for him so far (not his brother so much, whose been quite quiet so far, with 6 tackles in two games and no sacks).

LB felt a bit thin, depth wise, before Moseley went down, I hope if he's going to miss alot of time (or perhaps worse, just be slowed and ineffective for a while) that the Jets look at that position and see if a move is needed.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Warfish said:

He's been very, very slow.  Slower than previous years IMO.

His injury is a toe (or so it was reported), I wonder if it's something that lingered from preseason/practice.

Or he just got too slow due to time and wear.  

Personally, I think the D started doing better primarily because Levis started playing worse (they're a bottom 10 offense for a reason), and the Jets O started playing better, more so than anything particularly special about Sherwood, who to be fair was at least similarly productive in clean-up tackles as Moseley usually had been in previous years.  QW also played brilliantly, it should be noted.  Trending towards another great year for him so far (not his brother so much, whose been quite quiet so far, with 6 tackles in two games and no sacks).

LB felt a bit thin, depth wise, before Moseley went down, I hope if he's going to miss alot of time (or perhaps worse, just be slowed and ineffective for a while) that the Jets look at that position and see if a move is needed.

TY for the info.  Above all, in the Jets defense the LBs, especially the MLB needs great closing speed and ability to form tackle.  If CJ lost a few steps due to injury or age, the defense wont work.  

Agree about Levis.  He gave it away.

Nice "championship" team the Jets have.  They got bulled by the 9ers and barely survived the Titans.  The season is long and things can change, but right now, I am seeing an 8 to 10 win team at best.  

Let Rodgers throw early and often.  Get Williams more involved and let the TE's do more than take up space. 

The defense is not the "lights out" until a lot of us were expecting.  They need to score points to win. 

• Upvote 1

Mosley stinks and can't get sideline to sideline or follow TEs and RBs down the field anymore. The contract extension made zero sense, particularly because 235 LB linebackers who can run 4.5s can be found bagging groceries in your local Trader Joe's and are available at minimum salaries. 

The Jets D 100% improved when he came off the field. And while he was once a great player, those days are long gone. 

• Upvote 2

CJ has never been the guy they signed on for outside of his very brief appearance in 2019. Once he collected his big fat roster bonus before deciding to sit out the year after that, all we've seen since is a player who sat for 2 years look like a shell of his former self. None of that is exclusive to this season.

The decision to keep renogiating his deal into future years based on a sunk cost fallacy was always poorly thought out. Now giving him a new deal with more guarantees added in as he kept getting longer in the tooth was outright stupid, but the guy has done well on banking on his locker room "rah rah" stuff for years now, it just simply doesn't translate onto the field very much.

Hopefully Sherwood can step in, but the lack of any attempt for even low cost alternatives at the position for years now still leaves it very thin, so the team is almost sure to stick with CJ throughout this year once/if he feels like playing again.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 2

51 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

I didn't watch the game this past Sunday.  I was out working in the yard and I had the radio on the entire time.  Was it me just reading into things or did the defense start to perform better when Sherwood took over the center seat after CJ went down ???

Again... I didn't look at the stats this morning or break things down, but it seemed the defense stiffened up when Mosely left the game.

What went down ??? 

Also... It was a sure bet that the offense produced more when they threw on 1st down.  Clearly, they want to lean on the run so Rogers does not have to carry the season, but the object is to score points and ultimately, win games.

FFS... Throw the ball.  And do so on first downs.  Then, you can rip a few nice runs on the ground when the defense gets loose. 

Don't spare Rodgers.  He's there to throw the football. 

I think thats what I will do from now on. I will listen to Bob Wischusen instead of watching the games.  That has to be better for my eyes. 

• Upvote 1

sherwood played well.  maybe better than he has played for his whole career so far.  it's tough to see a vet go down but maybe this is one of those blessings in disguise.  it give players like suratt a chance to come in and make plays.  it takes time for some guys to come in and play well.  it's not always seen in practice.

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Agree about Levis.  He gave it away

I keep seeing this but I'm not quite understanding it.

Levis fumbled the ball on a 3rd and goal play where he was going to be sacked. Let's assume he holds onto the ball and they kick a FG. That's what gave the game away? They still would have lost by 4 and they still would have needed a TD at the end of the game.

Levis is terrible but it's not like he fumbled on the 5 yard line down 2 in the closing minute of the game. 

The interception he threw was on 1st and 10 from his 25 and it amounted to a long punt as the Jets got it at their own 27. The Titans weren't in scoring range and the Jets still needed to drive the field to score the tying TD. 

1 minute ago, bicketybam said:

Levis fumbled the ball on a 3rd and goal play where he was going to be sacked. Let's assume he holds onto the ball and they kick a FG. That's what gave the game away? They still would have lost by 4 and they still would have needed a TD at the end of the game.

Levis is terrible but it's not like he fumbled on the 5 yard line down 2 in the closing minute of the game. 

The interception he threw was on 1st and 10 from his 25 and it amounted to a long punt as the Jets got it at their own 27. The Titans weren't in scoring range and the Jets still needed to drive the field to score the tying TD. 

i suppose the bottom line is that levis did not make the most of the chances they had with the football.  his limited play was a bottleneck for their offense.  

5 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

I’m no analyst but I have been watching for 50 years and this jumped out at me.  If you had to honestly assess Mosely’s play you would not believe he was being paid $17 million.  All a remnant of that Covid contract, he will be so gone next season.  Nothing personal either I like him a lot. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, THE BARON said:

I didn't watch the game this past Sunday.  I was out working in the yard and I had the radio on the entire time.  Was it me just reading into things or did the defense start to perform better when Sherwood took over the center seat after CJ went down ???

Again... I didn't look at the stats this morning or break things down, but it seemed the defense stiffened up when Mosely left the game.

What went down ??? 

Also... It was a sure bet that the offense produced more when they threw on 1st down.  Clearly, they want to lean on the run so Rogers does not have to carry the season, but the object is to score points and ultimately, win games.

FFS... Throw the ball.  And do so on first downs.  Then, you can rip a few nice runs on the ground when the defense gets loose. 

you must have had a ton of yard work to miss a early season Jets game.  

If I for some reason couldn't have a landscaper do my yard work in the fall - i'd DVR the game and watch it.   Probably takes about 2 hours - and probably can get it done in 1 1/2 hours.  

Usually by Halloween yard work is more enjoyable than watching the game.

6 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

you must have had a ton of yard work to miss a early season Jets game.  

If I for some reason couldn't have a landscaper do my yard work in the fall - i'd DVR the game and watch it.   Probably takes about 2 hours - and probably can get it done in 1 1/2 hours.  

Usually by Halloween yard work is more enjoyable than watching the game.

it was too nice out to be indoors.  you also get good exposition when listening to the radio.  i often prefer the radio to TV.  

5 hours ago, bicketybam said:

Honestly, after watching what they did against the Bears this really concerned me.  The Bears had 3 FGs.  Two were over 45 yards.  The scored TDs on a pick six and a blocked punt.  I was worried that we were getting the turnovers, but not the free points.  

I think people bitching about running on first down are a little off base, even though I certainly feel the same rage sometimes.  First of all, I think they do it to set other things up.  Like when Foreman fought Moorer.  Are you going to complain that foreman's jabs are too short?  During the fight sure, but Teddy Atlas realized that it was just a trap to get him in close enough to lay the hammer.  After it happens we should appreciate that there is some set up involved.  

Also, I think both this run game and Rodgers mean that 3rd and 8 or 9 is still very manageable.  It's not like the Sanchez era.  10 yard plays are not particularly unusual.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, THE BARON said:

This is Rodgers' offense.  If they're running the ball on 1st and 2nd down it's because Rodgers wants to.   I don't think Rodgers trust himself yet.  Not sure he will ever get back to doing so.  This might be the offense we get all year.

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

This is Rodgers' offense.  If they're running the ball on 1st and 2nd down it's because Rodgers wants to.   I don't think Rodgers trust himself yet.  Not sure he will ever get back to doing so.  This might be the offense we get all year.

3 TD's a game? That would be awful.

8 hours ago, doitny said:

but did Sherwood step in for CJ? i saw Quincy in the Middle a few times yesterday. maybe it was for a play or 2.

Quincy moved to MLB and Sherwood took Quincy's spot and they both excelled.

Personally Im thrilled to see how well Sherwood is playing, hes a converted safety who took time to develop and should have been starting had we not done that ridiculous extension with Mosley.  Now we will have a ton of dead money next year which will impact being able to re-sign Sherwood IF he continues to play like this.

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I just can’t see a world where we bench a healthy Mosley for Sherwood. Even though we very well might be better off doing it.

Sadly, I think you're right.  What makes it worse is that Sherwood is set to be a FA.  He knows that he can probably get a good contract and start elsewhere, so we probably lose him.  We're stuck with Mosely next year unless he were to retire.  His cap hit is around $12.8 million, and if the Jets were to cut him before June 1, that would escalate to over $16 million.  There is some hope, however.  If they cut him post June 1, they would incur an $8.784 million dead money hit on the cap, but save $4 million in cap space.  That said, with needing to extend Wilson, Breece, JJ, AVT and Sauce, I imagine that they won't be able to sign Sherwood.  I think both Barnes and Surratt will be RFAs, so the Jets could keep them.  Barnes and Surratt both had a very good TC and according to reports were not that far behind Sherwood.  That said, Barnes only appeared in 4 games last season, so I know they won't just hand him the starting job.  We just have to hope that maybe Mosley realizes that he has slowed down and is hurting the team and will retire, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that happening.

6 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

Sadly, I think you're right.  What makes it worse is that Sherwood is set to be a FA.  He knows that he can probably get a good contract and start elsewhere, so we probably lose him.  We're stuck with Mosely next year unless he were to retire.  His cap hit is around $12.8 million, and if the Jets were to cut him before June 1, that would escalate to over $16 million.  There is some hope, however.  If they cut him post June 1, they would incur an $8.784 million dead money hit on the cap, but save $4 million in cap space.  That said, with needing to extend Wilson, Breece, JJ, AVT and Sauce, I imagine that they won't be able to sign Sherwood.  I think both Barnes and Surratt will be RFAs, so the Jets could keep them.  Barnes and Surratt both had a very good TC and according to reports were not that far behind Sherwood.  That said, Barnes only appeared in 4 games last season, so I know they won't just hand him the starting job.  We just have to hope that maybe Mosley realizes that he has slowed down and is hurting the team and will retire, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that happening.

Especially after he took money during COVID to not play.  What a joke. 

• Thumb Down 1

If JD was smart and thinking long term he would extend Sherwood and Echols today.

But I really don’t think JD is thinking about 2025.   He is trying to survive 2024.  

At this point I am not seeing the Jets with a QB in 2025.  That basically means the team is in limbo.  You don’t necessarily want to pay former low draft pick converted S-LBs second contracts on a team in limbo that now has to absorb a cap hit for the QB whose cap hit you basically deferred 3 years (?).  

23 minutes ago, varjet said:

If JD was smart and thinking long term he would extend Sherwood and Echols today.

But I really don’t think JD is thinking about 2025.   He is trying to survive 2024.  

At this point I am not seeing the Jets with a QB in 2025.  That basically means the team is in limbo.  You don’t necessarily want to pay former low draft pick converted S-LBs second contracts on a team in limbo that now has to absorb a cap hit for the QB whose cap hit you basically deferred 3 years (?).  

how often do you see guys getting extensions in the middle of a season. no agent would agree to this. when your this close to FA players always test the market.

same as before the season. Sherwood and Echols have done nothing to warrent alot of money. there best bet was to play this season and maybe an injury gets them some starts and they could put up some numbers to get more money.

just like now with CJs injury. if Sherwood can put up some nice starts he just added more money to his contract instead of settling for less money now.