Malachi Corley

2 minutes ago, JiFtheOracle said:

I seem to recall a time when someone said, hey guys, he's not going to have a big impact year 1.  It's a huge learning curve and the Jets have 3 professional WR's and one of them happens to be Rodgers best friend who's going to have a bounce back season and I seem to remember telling, you dont worry about it, its nice thing to have, hopefully he starts to see more playing time as the season goes on and he's a big contributor in years to come.

You know to respond...

PrinceLickingFingers.gif.d6d01faeb063ac19cc212e594867ef26.gif

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I don't think he ends up doing much in the NFL tbh. seems like a total gadget player.

His punishing style of running after the catch would be an interesting wrinkle to break out late in the season when everyone is wearing down and playing with some sort of injury. Might be the benefactor of a lot of business decisions.

I disagree with your first paragraph.

I think that he will see more time as the season progresses and he will prove to be an effective weapon for the Jets.  Combined with Allen, they could help Breece and other Jets WRs, as well as themselves, benefit from those "business decisions."

“The more pain I train myself to stand, the more I learn. You are afraid of the pain now, Unk, but you won't learn anything if you don't invite the pain. And the more you learn, the gladder you will be to stand the pain.”

5 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

I disagree with your first paragrap.

I think that he will see more time as the season progresses and he will prove to be an effective weapon for the Jets.  Combined with Allen, they could help Breece and other Jets WRs, as well as themselves, benefit from those "business decisions."

fwiw I'm not basing my expectations on the lack of PT to date. People love to write draft picks off early because they aren't instant stars and I'm never one of those guys. I just don't see an consistent NFL WR in Corely. Would love to be proven wrong.

I think he's going to have to be a core special teams guy to get himself gadget WR touches.

1 hour ago, Mr. Rogers said:

Wait... There's Jets fans out there that didn't like Jeremy kerley? 😭

Are you kidding?  There have been Jets fans that didn't think that Joe Namath was very and who didn't like him.  There are posters on this board that despise Rodgers.  There's never been Jet that at least some fans haven't disliked.  I hope it's the same with other teams, because I'd hate to think that it's only some Jets fans that are crazy.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

Are you kidding?  There have been Jets fans that didn't think that Joe Namath was very and who didn't like him.  There are posters on this board that despise Rodgers.  There's never been Jet that at least some fans haven't disliked.  I hope it's the same with other teams, because I'd hate to think that it's only some Jets fans that are crazy.

You're right. There's always someone. Kerley just always seemed like such a likeable guy to me, on top of the fact that as a 5th round pick he probably exceeded most expectations! I wasn't expecting him to catch a stray today lol

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, bicketybam said:

Drafted for the future. Williams is on a one year deal. Lazard can be cut after this year if we need cap space. I never expected him to be a big part of the offense this year. He'll have some plays designed specifically for him as the season moves on.

Nothing says “championship window” like an entire draft class to be useful next year. 

• Haha 1

Give it time, before last week Conklin and Gibson had been invisible. We still need to get 5 and Williams more involved. Hopefully by midseason he starts carving a specific role in the offense.

He made a tough catch in the middle of the field and took a huge hit, I was impressed by that I have to say. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Discuss

Didn’t read every comment so maybe it was brought up but my 2 cents…

first off, Lazard. I think we’re getting way more out of him than anyone other than himself and Rodgers anticipated. I knew he’d be better with Rodgers but to this extent? No, I had no idea. He’s a big part of this offense and needs to be on the field. 

Second, Mike Williams. He’s basically operating as the 3rd WR to this point but you’d have to assume that this team will be making him a primary WR soon. 

Third, passing game chemistry. We can all see that Rodgers isn’t quite clicking yet with Williams and Garrett. I think those guys need to be on the field as much as possible. Those reps are valuable and we need to get our 3 main WR targets all working well together before we start trying to get another WR meaningful snaps. 

4th, Corley isn’t a polished route runner. He does his damage on short throw manufactured touches. At this stage, he’s a package player. With more pressing needs in terms of getting this passing game right, he’s on the back burner. 

Between him being burried on the depth chart and the passing game still needing some work, I think Corley will have to wait this out. He’ll eventually get involved to come extent but I don’t expect to see much until this offense is clicking and we’re ready to start adding new wrinkles.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

15 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I expected us to not use him much early. I did think we'd use him more than we do though in some weird packages like end arounds and such.

I think it is important to realize that most these teams aren't hitting their stride yet. We looked great Thursday and I believe we'll build off of that. But every team we play won't be as bad as NE. So games wont be that easy.

I think the more we play... the more we use him.

But let's be real wouldn't we much rather have a healthy MW out there than Corley?

Or the way Lazard has been... him out there than Corley.

I do want Corley to have a role with us being he's set up to be our WR2 possibly next season (I'm sure we'll bring some one in better than him).

But I don't want to see us waste his rookie year at a position you can play 5 deep at. Get him snaps like we did with McDonald last year

Funny you mentioned end arounds. Who currently on the active roster has the speed to do that. Also, with how Rodgers plays with they ever really call that play since it is usually to trick the D which Rodgers is good enough to do that without so many trick plays.

11 hours ago, extmenace said:

first off, Lazard. I think we’re getting way more out of him than anyone other than himself and Rodgers anticipated. I knew he’d be better with Rodgers but to this extent? No, I had no idea. He’s a big part of this offense and needs to be on the field. 

Second, Mike Williams. He’s basically operating as the 3rd WR to this point but you’d have to assume that this team will be making him a primary WR soon. 

Third, passing game chemistry. We can all see that Rodgers isn’t quite clicking yet with Williams and Garrett. I think those guys need to be on the field as much as possible. Those reps are valuable and we need to get our 3 main WR targets all working well together before we start trying to get another WR meaningful snaps. 

4th, Corley isn’t a polished route runner. He does his damage on short throw manufactured touches. At this stage, he’s a package player. With more pressing needs in terms of getting this passing game right, he’s on the back burner. 

Between him being burried on the depth chart and the passing game still needing some work, I think Corley will have to wait this out. He’ll eventually get involved to come extent but I don’t expect to see much until this offense is clicking and we’re ready to start adding new wrinkles.

Teams are so far providing coverage preventing Wilson and Williams from killing them and leaving our TEs open which is why they had the most yards last week. If that keeps up along with how much our RBs get catches out if the backfield it should loosen the coverage on the WRs and they will then get more yardage. Then they can start thinking about adding Corley to the mix.

11 hours ago, extmenace said:

Teams are so far providing coverage preventing Wilson and Williams from killing them and leaving our TEs open which is why they had the most yards last week. If that keeps up along with how much our RBs get catches out if the backfield it should loosen the coverage on the WRs and they will then get more yardage. Then they can start thinking about adding Corley to the mix.

1 hour ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Funny you mentioned end arounds. Who currently on the active roster has the speed to do that. Also, with how Rodgers plays with they ever really call that play since it is usually to trick the D which Rodgers is good enough to do that without so many trick plays.

end arounds are more about blocking than anything for starters. And I think establishing the run to where they go the way the fake is going is also key. Speed is the least of the skill sets needed for end arounds to work.

14 hours ago, extmenace said:

Great post and, imho, this is the most pertinent section, and I’d add that Breece hasn’t gotten on track so far, either. Garrett Wilson is getting targets, but they’re struggling to connect. Getting that connection rolling needs to be a priority, as is getting acquainted with Williams. With Lazard exceeding expectations, it’s easy to see why a fourth WR hasn’t made his way onto the field. Jets are also going with a lot of two TE sets. Another factor is Allen’s emergence. Instead of just being a backup who you hope doesn’t represent too much of a drop off, he’s instead started to establish himself as a weapon, one that needs to be employed. 

For now, Corley is valuable depth. I expect him to work his way onto the field and/or guys will get banged up and he’ll be pressed into action. I’d like to him worked in with some plays designed for him, but the priority has to be getting the base offense up & running. Thru three games, it’s still something of a work in progress. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, kdels62 said:

By week 4 of his rookie year? No. I wasn’t a fan of the player but lets not get so absurd.

I didn’t like the pick in April either. Once again, do you trust this coaching staff to develop a raw offensive player?