The Jets Sad History of Trying to Buy Success with Veteran QB's

Boomer Esiason, 3 years, team went 17-31, No playoffs.

Neil O'Donnell, 2 years, team went 10-22, No playoffs.

Vinny Testaverde, 6 years, 3 as starter, team went 54-42, one AFC Champ. Game Loss followed by a lost year due to Achilles injury.  Final 2 years Pennington starter.

Brett Favre, 1 year, team went 9-7, collapsed late due (in large part) to Favre's injury but continued starting at QB.  Wanted out asap, went on to one very successful year in Minny where he really wanted to be, and one final year in Minny.  No playoffs.

Ryan Fitzpatrick, 2 years, team went 15-17, No playoffs.  One fun year, one mismanaged disaster year.

Josh McCown, 2 years, only one as a starter, team went 9-23, no playoffs.  

Joe Flacco, parts of 3 seasons, none as primary starter, the Wilson era.  No playoffs.

And now Aaron Rodgers, our 2nd old Green Bay HOF'er.  2 years, one a full lost year, now 2-2 so far and no looking great.  

There are likely others too over this period, but these were the main "Veteran QB's" we signed, traded for or otherwise thought could bring some form on immediate impact to our Jets.

As bad as our draft picks over the same period (Nagle, Pennington, Clemens, Sanchez, Geno, Hackenberg, Wilson), our attempts to buy success with veteran QB's has been just as bad or worse.  

We're literally the dark spot on several otherwise better resumes (Esiason, Favre, Flacco, Rodgers so far).  Even O'Donnell looked better before joining us.

If we ever want to see the core of our now 30 years of failure, the decisions at QB are front and center.  One decent vet (Testaverde) and one decent draft pick (Pennington) over that period.  The rest, mostly trash.

It's amazing when you look at it all together like that.

When no direction works, what direction do you advocate for?  We blow with Vet QB's with resumes, we blow with draft pick QB's.  Amazing.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

The issue trying to find a trend when each situation has different microcosms that lead to each failure. Finding the overarching theme as “they’re the Jets” doesn’t actually give you a reason as to why this is happening. However I think I can nail down this current struggle. 

The problem right now and the reason why JD should be fired even though I think he’s been a pretty good roster builder/ has good methodology is because he took a half measure 2 years ago. He let Saleh fire MLF and hire Hackett instead of cleaning house. He let Wilson take the fall as ailment hurting the team instead of looking deeper and realizing that his HC was useless. Not that Wilson was any good but he wasn’t the root of the problem. Going after Rodgers was fine but instead of saying “we’re building a sustainable system for you to become THE club legend” he caved to desperation. He had a chance to fix it again after last season and again blamed Wilson and let Saleh off free of guilt. No pressure to fire the worst OC or OL coach in the league. 

I don’t like to bring up Woody because he can’t be fired or changed. I also think if he says “Get me Aaron Rodgers” he doesn’t mean get me a useless OC to go along with him. Rodgers had no other options besides the Jets, he would’ve come here no matter what. This “failure” five weeks into the season isn’t indicative of a bad roster but follows the trend that every Saleh team of the past 4 years has had.

Statistically you could make an argument that Chad was the best QB in franchise history, especially considering Joe Willie completed 50% of his passes and threw 40 more INTS than TDS.

A very sad story indeed.

Someone remind me why the **** am I a fan that lives and dies with this God forsaken franchise?

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, jetswin said:

Statistically you could make an argument that Chad was the best QB in franchise history, especially considering Joe Willie completed 50% of his passes and threw 40 more INTS than TDS.

A very sad story indeed.

Someone remind me why the **** am I a fan that lives and dies with this God forsaken franchise?

Joe was the balls.  Chad would have been dead after a game in 1966.

• Sympathy 1

I don't have a problem with the veteran route. 

The Jets just don't know how to manage the QB position properly. 

They think draft a QB high means they'll come in and fix everything right away, no matter how the roster looks. 

When they DO bring in a veteran QB, they do it with a total journeyman JAG or a guy at the very end of his career, with no actual young talent waiting in the wings. 

It's always all over the place. They always want the quick fix.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, jetswin said:

True... What I said statistically JW is a legend 

1973 Joe with a 50% completion percentage average yards per completion was 17.4 yards.  Adjusted for attempts it's higher than Rodgers average per pass at 61%.  In another words with 50% completion percent he was moving the team down the field more than Rodgers is on each attempt.  He also backed the entire D off the running game.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, BreeceHallofFame said:

What about the Broncos, Bucs, and Rams history? Were you against signing Rodgers or are you in a panic now that we are 2-3?

I was opposed to the Rodgers trade, and supported signing Carr as a FA.

Not really the point tho, some of us supported some of these Vets, some didn't, some of us supported these draft picks, some of us didn't.  

Also, this thread isn't about the Broncos, Bucs or Rams.  If you want to start threads on them, or do some kind of comp. to them, feel free.  

• Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

I was opposed to the Rodgers trade, and supported signing Carr as a FA.

Not really the point tho, some of us supported some of these Vets, some didn't, some of us supported these draft picks, some of us didn't.  

Also, this thread isn't about the Broncos, Bucs or Rams.  If you want to start threads on them, or do some kind of comp. to them, feel free.  

If you can’t handle people replying to your thread stop making them. 

• Thumb Down 1

10 minutes ago, BreeceHallofFame said:

What about the Broncos, Bucs, and Rams history? Were you against signing Rodgers or are you in a panic now that we are 2-3?

I was all for bringing in Rodgers because I thought last year maybe we do something.  When he went down it was clear it won't work.  It wasn't even clear before last season that he would play two seasons.   

What we got instead was the AR publicity tour.  The greatest rehab in the history of rehab.  I might play 3 more years.  If the Jets get to the second round of the playoffs I might come back.  News flash if the Jets got to the 2nd round of the playoffs last year with Zach, Rodgers wouldn't be playing this year.  It was a load of horse sh*t.  This was a 1 year deal and it failed.  This is the FU year to the fans so Woody doesn't have to pay Salah and JD more money.

• Upvote 1

Alternatively, Mark Sanchez, Geno Smith, Sam Darnold, & Zach Wilson haven't worked out either so....

I do tend to think a veteran QB is the best route give the expectation/pressure from being a Jets QB in this market. Or perhaps a young player that sits for 2 years behind a vet is the best route. Either way we've stunk regardless of which direction we try.

23 minutes ago, jetswin said:

A very sad story indeed.

Chad was a solid QB. Injuries ruined his career. 

That’s the other thing with this franchise - unimaginably bad injury luck. Namath, O Brien, and Pennington, the three best QBs we have ever drafted, ALL had their careers derailed, at least to some extent, by injuries 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, BreeceHallofFame said:

If you can’t handle people replying to your thread stop making them. 

Sorry, what part did you think wasn't handled exactly?

You asked a question, I answered it.  You raised other teams, I invited you to make your point if you had one.

Seems pretty well handled to me.  /shrug.

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Vinny Testaverde, 6 years, 3 as starter, team went 54-42, one AFC Champ. Game Loss followed by a lost year due to Achilles injury.  Final 2 years Pennington starter.

Brett Favre, 1 year, team went 9-7, collapsed late due (in large part) to Favre's injury but continued starting at QB.  Wanted out asap, went on to one very successful year in Minny where he really wanted to be, and one final year in Minny.  No playoffs.

Ryan Fitzpatrick, 2 years, team went 15-17, No playoffs.  One fun year, one mismanaged disaster year.

Joe Flacco, parts of 3 seasons, none as primary starter, the Wilson era.  No playoffs.

And now Aaron Rodgers, our 2nd old Green Bay HOF'er.  2 years, one a full lost year, now 2-2 so far and no looking great.  

There are likely others too over this period, but these were the main "Veteran QB's" we signed, traded for or otherwise thought could bring some form on immediate impact to our Jets.

As bad as our draft picks over the same period (Nagle, Pennington, Clemens, Sanchez, Geno, Hackenberg, Wilson), our attempts to buy success with veteran QB's has been just as bad or worse.  

We're literally the dark spot on several otherwise better resumes (Esiason, Favre, Flacco, Rodgers so far).  Even O'Donnell looked better before joining us.

If we ever want to see the core of our now 30 years of failure, the decisions at QB are front and center.  One decent vet (Testaverde) and one decent draft pick (Pennington) over that period.  The rest, mostly trash.

When no direction works, what direction do you advocate for?  We blow with Vet QB's with resumes, we blow with draft pick QB's.  Amazing.

So in other words, you are saying they have had more success than drafting one. Got it.

40 minutes ago, BreeceHallofFame said:

I am a Patriots fan.  I would welcome 2-3.  I mean Jacoby will not break 1000 yards until about week 12.

I thought it was a good move.  Even if you got the last year in Green Bay A-A-Ron, I thought the Jets would be better.   I expected more from him.

As to your first point, maybe expecting a title is a little too high.  A-A-Ron is on pace for 3700 yards 24 TDs and 14 INTs.  Those numbers are better than the 2023 Jets' QB collective.  The problems might be more than A-A-Ron.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Jets were 8-3 in 08 before farve injury. Considering the run of bad years, I’d say that was working well ( until injury ). In fact not being able to get Farve to stay was probably the difference why Jets didn’t make it to the superbowl, and have a chance to win in. Farve had 1 of the best seasons of his career with Vikings in 09, while the Jets D, OL/ running game made it all the way to AFC championship with 1 of the worst qbs in the entire league, Mark Sanchez ha.

2 hours ago, PFSIKH said:

Something along the lines, "Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it".

How have the Jets done when they draft a QB in the 1st round though?  We took Chad Pennington in the 1st round, while you guys took TB12 in the 6th round that same year.

The Jets have a poor history of drafting, trading for, and signing QBs.

If there was another avenue of getting a QB, they’d suck at that too.

Day 1 QBs: suck

Day 2 QBs: suck

Day 3 QBs suck

Trading for expensive QBs: suck

Cheap FA: Suck 

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

How have the Jets done when they draft a QB in the 1st round though?  We took Chad Pennington in the 1st round, while you guys took TB12 in the 6th round that same year.

He was their second of three sixth round picks.  We should be thankful Dick Rehbein convinced Belichick to draft him instead of another core special teamer with Pick 199.

For Brady in particular, I remember the Mariuci quote from 'The Brady 6'.  If they thought so much about him, they would have drafted him higher.

• Haha 1