POLL: What is Your Reaction to the Saleh Firing / Ulbrich Being Named Interim?

Saleh / Ulbrich?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. What is your reaction to Robert Saleh being fired after 5 games of the season?

• Strongly Agree
    • Agree
    • Neutral / Undecided
    • Disagree
    • Strongly Disagree
  2. 2. What is your reaction to Jeff Ulbrich being named Interim Coach?

• Strongly Agree
    • Agree
    • Neutral / Undecided
    • Disagree
    • Strongly Disagree

Disagree with Saleh firing. I understand it, I’m not gonna complain or criticize much - the results haven’t been there, so I get it. 

I just think this org has terrible decision making - if you wanted this done - it should’ve been in the offseason. 5 games in? Idk, does anyone think Rodgers missing throws, Hackett’s ineptitude or an underperforming offensive line is really on Saleh? 

But whatever, we should hire an offensive coach anyway, so F it. 

For the interim, I love Ulbrich. He cool. 

• Upvote 4

Saleh was destined to go, it was only a question of when, not if.  The one real concern now is if his wildly incompetent boss of a GM gets away with yet another scapegoat after 6 years of continuous failure on the job.

Ulbrich was the available option that made most sense, unless they had really wanted to let him keep focusing in solely on the D, in which case Boyer could've been an alternative to consider, but there certainly weren't many options.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

I think the team needed a wake up call and Saleh seemed to have checked out. Ulbrich was the only possible choice in my mind. I’m hoping that he changes play callers but won’t be surprised if he doesn’t. I know a lot of people want a new OC brought in but a change in systems this far into the season isn’t feasible. Hopefully he can get the team to cut down on mistakes and penalties.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Disagree with Saleh firing. I understand it, I’m not gonna complain or criticize much - the results haven’t been there, so I get it. 

I just think this org has terrible decision making - if you wanted this done - it should’ve been in the offseason. 5 games in? Idk, does anyone think Rodgers missing throws, Hackett’s ineptitude or an underperforming offensive line is really on Saleh? 

But whatever, we should hire an offensive coach anyway, so F it. 

For the interim, I love Ulbrich. He cool. 

You are 100% right here brother!!

We are just a crazy organization. 

I think the timing and the way it played out is embarrassing and reinforces the idea that the Jets are inept and that Woody has no idea what he’s doing. Don’t intrinsically have an issue with dumping Saleh who, while dealt a tough hand in terms of QBs and OCs foisted upon him, does not seem like a good head coach. But why on earth was he brought back after last year if the leash was this short? Feels desperate.

Ulbrich was the obvious (only?) choice for HC for the rest of this season.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Green Ghost said:

@Trotter

Make some money betting the Jets have a dead cat bounce Monday night.

I’m not sure I can go there yet

of course I bet the Mets today minus run and a half so one run victory coming up

over on tonight’s college game

30 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I think the timing and the way it played out is embarrassing and reinforces the idea that the Jets are inept and that Woody has no idea what he’s doing. Don’t intrinsically have an issue with dumping Saleh who, while dealt a tough hand in terms of QBs and OCs foisted upon him, does not seem like a good head coach. But why on earth was he brought back after last year if the leash was this short? Feels desperate.

Ulbrich was the obvious (only?) choice for HC for the rest of this season.

The argument last year was you couldn't judge him because of the QB, Oline, offensive playmakers.  So Saleh got another chance.  

I get that Rodgers is not off to a great start but with the offensive talent the Jets now have, they should be a LOT better.  There were troubling signs that nothing under Saleh would change, regardless of the smoke and mirrors that he was considering firing Hackett.

If nothing was going to change under Saleh, then he needed to go before the season was lost.  

There is also ample evidence that Saleh himself was part of the problem. 

1. Philosophically, he wanted to 'keep games a fight to 20 points'

2. Minimize 3rd down distances instead of mixing in big plays (getting 1st downs on 1st & 2nd down)

3. Establish the run ... 'force' the run in reality

4. Lack of urgency to score early, with a defense built to play with a lead

5. Lack of accountability and a plan to fix root issues

6. Lack of creativity to try new things

Lastly, who cares what others thing outside the organization.  Constant losing is the biggest embarrassment.  This is the right move for the locker room.  After sitting on their heels last year, the Jets are at least signaling that they are trying to win.  Important for the locker room and the fans.  Also puts everyone on notice!

• Upvote 2

With the talent this team has it should be 4-1 you have young players mouthing off in social media not taking any accountability. Saleh was losing control of the team and the blame falls on the head coach for not stepping in and making changes Saleh was totally inept he had to be fired . Fortunately they have a possible future head coach already on the team so now not only they have a opportunity to save the season and get to try out a coaching candidate at the same time and if he doesn't work out they have the head start to start researching possible candidates. Think this is win win.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

This is the type of move needed to evaluate everyone.  We have assumed up until the beginning of this year that Zach was THE problem.  Maybe 70% Zach, 20% OL, and 10% WR.

The meal doesn't look improved with Rodgers (who should still be 'average'), what should be a healthier Breece (who looks lost), Garrett (who looked lost before last week), Tyron (who has given up more sacks & possibly pressures this year than all of last), a healthy AVT, year 2 Tippmann.  In some ways like run blocking, it looks far worse.  And what the hell is wrong with Quinnen?  Was he playing golf all offseason with Saleh?

We need to evaluate who is part of the problem and who is part of the long term solution.

1. Is Rodgers really cooked?  Do we need to go QB in round 1?

2. Why can't the OL run block?  Is it technique, communication (Carter), predictability (Hackett), or personnel (Jeremy Ruckert)?

3. Is Garrett a true #1 receiver?

4. Is Sauce a lockdown CB?  How can we gauge this when he mostly plays zone?  Why pay $25M + for a zone corner?  I mean that's kind of stupid and probably unheard of (would need to dig further).  Trade him to a team who values his potential as a lock down

So on and so forth..

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

2. Why can't the OL run block?  Is it technique, communication (Carter), predictability (Hackett), or personnel (Jeremy Ruckert)?

4. Is Sauce a lockdown CB?  How can we gauge this when he mostly plays zone?  Why pay $25M + for a zone corner?  I mean that's kind of stupid and probably unheard of (would need to dig further).  Trade him to a team who values his potential as a lock down

2. It's on those two clueless nincompoops: Carter and Hackett.

4. Ahmad Gardner will continue to get exposed, because he was never that good. He had a good marketing strategy, NFL liked him, so his penalties were overlooked. As the team continues to implode, refs will not help him out anymore, so not committing penalties will expose all of Ahmad's weaknesses. In addition, he just isn't a clutch dependable player. As opposed to Echols and Reed.

If I'm Ulbrich, the 1st question I'm demanding of Hackett is what in God's name is he doing on the 1st series of every game?  Was this dictated by Saleh?

In 21 of Hackett's 22 Jets games, the Jets have started their first series with a run (mostly interior) or a short pass before the sticks.  A horrifyingly low success rate that makes getting a first down that much more difficult, let alone scoring or throwing the defense off balance.

Only 1x have they thrown deep.

This type of predictability sets a bad tone, puts the offense at a big disadvantage and gives the opposing defense a quick jolt of confidence.

I'll keep repeating this ... the Jets have scored a total of 13 points on their first drives under Hackett, 3 of those w/ the benefit of a short field.  The average team has scored a total of 44 points (5 TDs + 3 FGs).  The Jets are 29% of what an average team is.  Statistically, that feels like an anomaly from the mean, or in this case simply a lack of serious game planning.  

NFL teams that score first are more than 60% likely to win the game.  

aziz ansari snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Upvote 1