NYPOST - EMBARRASSING DISPLAY MARS 1ST DAY

GreenBeans

http://www.nypost.com/sports/jets/...mark_cannizzaro.htm

EMBARRASSING DISPLAY MARS 1ST DAY

July 28, 2006 -- IF THE Jets perform on the field the way their operation performed yesterday during the players' arrival at training camp, it's going to be a long, calamitous season. The Jets took what had been a decades-long tradition of reporters interviewing players at the Hofstra University dorm rooms upon their arrival at training camp and turned it into an embarrassing mockery.

One day after the Giants made every one of their assistant coaches available and on the same day when the Giants were walking their beat reporters into players' dorms for interviews, the following is a postcard from the Jets' first day of training camp:

One day after signing a contract that will pay him some $18 million in guaranteed money, No. 1 draft pick D'Brickashaw Ferguson twice ran away from interview requests by a small gaggle of reporters at the Hofstra cafeteria area.

On the second brush-off, on his way out of the cafeteria, Ferguson literally sprinted into a busy street to get away from reporters and some fans who were clamoring for autographs.

If a group of six reporters was that intimidating for Ferguson, how is this guy going to respond when he lines up across from Jason Taylor or Dwight Freeney for the first time?

This, by the way, is a player who received media training around the time of the draft. What in the world do they teach these people?

And what are the Jets doing?

With the Giants always seeming to do the right things in terms of public relations, the Jets have always been a team that has been in dire need of good PR.

Some have made the analogy of the Giants being the varsity and the Jets, always the second-class citizens in this town, the jayvee. Yesterday, the Jets looked smaller than the jayvee. They looked pee-wee league.

What team in the NFL is not going to parade its top draft pick, the No. 4 overall pick in the draft, a pick that has been universally praised and a local product from nearby Freeport, in front of the public to celebrate his signing?

Answer: Not a single team in the league, other than the Jets.

Ferguson wasn't the only player who declined interview requests. He was just the most egregious.

In a league that craves to control the news media whenever possible, the Jets had a perfect chance to do so yesterday by making Ferguson available upon his signing.

That way, everyone would have written a positive story about Ferguson signing and reporting on time and being ready for his rookie year, and he wouldn't have been seen in such an embarrassing light - scurrying away from reporters and fans like a timid child.

Later in the day, the Jets slipped out a news release saying that Curtis Martin and Justin McCareins were placed on the physically unable to perform list.

That release, of course, was accompanied by not a single mention of what each player's respective injury is nor how long they might be out of commission.

The entire day represented a low point in public relations for the Jets.

mark.cannizzaro@nypost.com

Looks like a fun day at Hofstra! :)

Yes! Go jets! Make those bastards work for their money :lol:

And once again, a reporter makes an ass of himself by trashing a team/player just 'cus he didn't feel like talking to him. Until the Press pays all the wages of the Jets, they have no right demanding their time. Get over yourselves you bloodsuckers!:Nuts:

Below is my email to Mark this morning after reading that childish outburst

=======================================================

Mark,

Maybe, just maybe Ferguson was acting like a "timid child" yesterday because he was under orders not to speak to the media? What was the kid supposed to do break a rule so you can write some boring, clich

I see nothing wrong with what happened. It is evident, the players were instructed by the brass to stay clear of the media. This in no way has anything to do with how a player will perform on the field as indicated by this writer...

Media can go to hell...Jets are in business to put a competitive team on the field, not fill a reporter's column...go cover the freaken Giants.

Below is my email to Mark this morning after reading that childish outburst

=======================================================

Mark,

Maybe, just maybe Ferguson was acting like a "timid child" yesterday because he was under orders not to speak to the media? What was the kid supposed to do break a rule so you can write some boring, clich

Performance by fans will be scrutinized by what is done on teh field, not in front of microphones.

Cannizarro blows is own cover by revealing that only if he would have talked to us we would have given a "positive story". Instead, we get this spiteful retort because he was scorned.

Sounds very childish

http://www.nypost.com/sports/jets/...mark_cannizzaro.htm

EMBARRASSING DISPLAY MARS 1ST DAY

July 28, 2006 -- IF THE Jets perform on the field the way their operation performed yesterday during the players' arrival at training camp, it's going to be a long, calamitous season. The Jets took what had been a decades-long tradition of reporters interviewing players at the Hofstra University dorm rooms upon their arrival at training camp and turned it into an embarrassing mockery.

One day after the Giants made every one of their assistant coaches available and on the same day when the Giants were walking their beat reporters into players' dorms for interviews, the following is a postcard from the Jets' first day of training camp:

One day after signing a contract that will pay him some $18 million in guaranteed money, No. 1 draft pick D'Brickashaw Ferguson twice ran away from interview requests by a small gaggle of reporters at the Hofstra cafeteria area.

On the second brush-off, on his way out of the cafeteria, Ferguson literally sprinted into a busy street to get away from reporters and some fans who were clamoring for autographs.

If a group of six reporters was that intimidating for Ferguson, how is this guy going to respond when he lines up across from Jason Taylor or Dwight Freeney for the first time?

This, by the way, is a player who received media training around the time of the draft. What in the world do they teach these people?

And what are the Jets doing?

With the Giants always seeming to do the right things in terms of public relations, the Jets have always been a team that has been in dire need of good PR.

Some have made the analogy of the Giants being the varsity and the Jets, always the second-class citizens in this town, the jayvee. Yesterday, the Jets looked smaller than the jayvee. They looked pee-wee league.

What team in the NFL is not going to parade its top draft pick, the No. 4 overall pick in the draft, a pick that has been universally praised and a local product from nearby Freeport, in front of the public to celebrate his signing?

Answer: Not a single team in the league, other than the Jets.

Ferguson wasn't the only player who declined interview requests. He was just the most egregious.

In a league that craves to control the news media whenever possible, the Jets had a perfect chance to do so yesterday by making Ferguson available upon his signing.

That way, everyone would have written a positive story about Ferguson signing and reporting on time and being ready for his rookie year, and he wouldn't have been seen in such an embarrassing light - scurrying away from reporters and fans like a timid child.

Later in the day, the Jets slipped out a news release saying that Curtis Martin and Justin McCareins were placed on the physically unable to perform list.

That release, of course, was accompanied by not a single mention of what each player's respective injury is nor how long they might be out of commission.

The entire day represented a low point in public relations for the Jets.

mark.cannizzaro@nypost.com

Looks like a fun day at Hofstra! :)

I love this! Reporters are already pissed!

Second bold: Th Jets no longer give a sh!t if you write a positive story about Brick being in camp on time, we only care that he is in camp on time and he is. Not to mention, Mangini probably scared the sh!t out of his players with some threat if they speak too much to reporters. GO MANGINI!

Ferguson Flees from Media

Rich Cimini

Daily News

Ah, yes, the first day of training camp, a special day in the NFL. It's one of the few days when players and coaches - even those on really bad teams - can look into the camera and, with a straight face, wax optimistic about the season.

Curiously, there was very little happy talk today at the opening of Jets camp. Truth is, there was very little talk, period, as several players blew off reporters outside the cafeteria at Hofstra. Clearly, the players were instructed by someone (gee, wonder who?) to duck the media.

It made for one of the most bizarre moments I've witnessed in 18 years of covering the Jets: Rookie D'Brickashaw Ferguson, whose new contract makes him a multi-millionaire, ran away from a handful of reporters - literally. The big fella saw us coming and sprinted in the opposite direction, across the parking lot and past a small crowd of autograph seekers. My guess is he covered the first 40 yards in about 4.95 seconds.

The new boss, Eric Mangini, has created a tense atmosphere, which could be a good thing - or a bad thing, depending on your perspective. Even those who were kind enough to stop and chat - Ray Mickens, Erik Coleman and Derrick Blaylock - seemed extremely guarded. Soon, the reporters were asked by security to leave the premises.

So much for good will. Leave it to the Jets to blow the first day.

----- Original Message -----

To: mark.cannizzaro@nypost.com

Sent: Friday, July 28, 2006 7:37 AM

Subject: GET OVER YOURSELF

I read your article today, and you need to learn to get over yourself. You're used to having Herm and his staff basically write your articles for you, and now you actually have to do some work. They did not want to talk to you, and guess what... regardless of what you think, they are not required to.

While I do not want to see the #4 pick of the draft running into a street, I'm glad he ran away from you. I hope Press is barred from the complex. I'm sick of you guys crying when something does not go your way. Your job is to report on camp, if they even let you stay there. Your job is to report facts. Your job is not to put your opinion on everything, and cry every time you do not get your way. That's all you've been doing your whole career. Fortunately for you, Herm Edwards was your best friend, and was willing to let you sit there and make personnel decisions it seemed, let alone get facts for an article.

Look, noone is interested in your whining about not getting player access. If the job is too hard, I'm sure the Post will let you follow the golf tour around the rest of the year. I'm sure there are 100s of people who would take your place in a heartbeat.

Sincerely,

aec4

Can't get a better line than that, and so true.

Same old Jets.

Can't get a better line than that, and so true.

Same old Jets.

Oh stop. You don't even believe that. You LOVE what Mangini is doing here so far. And I know you agree with the move shielding players and coaches from the media!

----- Original Message -----

To: mark.cannizzaro@nypost.com

Sent: Friday, July 28, 2006 7:37 AM

Subject: GET OVER YOURSELF

I read your article today, and you need to learn to get over yourself. You're used to having Herm and his staff basically write your articles for you, and now you actually have to do some work. They did not want to talk to you, and guess what... regardless of what you think, they are not required to.

While I do not want to see the #4 pick of the draft running into a street, I'm glad he ran away from you. I hope Press is barred from the complex. I'm sick of you guys crying when something does not go your way. Your job is to report on camp, if they even let you stay there. Your job is to report facts. Your job is not to put your opinion on everything, and cry every time you do not get your way. That's all you've been doing your whole career. Fortunately for you, Herm Edwards was your best friend, and was willing to let you sit there and make personnel decisions it seemed, let alone get facts for an article.

Look, noone is interested in your whining about not getting player access. If the job is too hard, I'm sure the Post will let you follow the golf tour around the rest of the year. I'm sure there are 100s of people who would take your place in a heartbeat.

Sincerely,

aec4

I like your response to him. You E-Mail writers are to be congratulated. Good job, both of you.

That is pathetic.

I guess Mangini is following the belichick playbook from his Browns' days.

Step 1) Alienate the Pres. Check.

There is no reason for Brick to run. All he needs to say is 'No comment" and go do whatever he needed to do.

Seriously, the green tinted glasses need to come off on this one. That was bush league and makes the Jets organizatin look bad.

Oh fer crissakes! The NY (Jets) Beat Writers could be worse then Boston's.....wow!

Bunch of crybabies. So what - D'brick ran off. He was probably told to keep his mouth shut and he ran instead of saying something like "no comment, guys." The PUP list came out and no details were given. Shocker :rolleyes: Hope the media gets used to it - with Mangini in charge, info - or detailed info - will be VERY hard to come by. Hermie the clown is gone. This is a good thing. The media can go blow smoke up eachother's arses. They will try to intimidate the players and coaches now - watch. It won't work unless you Jets fans really are sheep.;)

Oh fer crissakes! The NY (Jets) Beat Writers could be worse then Boston's.....wow!

Bunch of crybabies. So what - D'brick ran off. He was probably told to keep his mouth shut and he ran instead of saying something like "no comment, guys." The PUP list came out and no details were given. Shocker :rolleyes: Hope the media gets used to it - with Mangini in charge, info - or detailed info - will be VERY hard to come by. Hermie the clown is gone. This is a good thing. The media can go blow smoke up eachother's arses. They will try to intimidate the players and coaches now - watch. It won't work unless you Jets fans really are sheep.;)

Still, if Mangini told Brick to be mum, they better check his wonderlic scores.

His options were:

A) Run away from the press and look bush league.

Or

B) Say "No Comment" and continue on with your day.

How he ever decided A was the better choice is amazing.

Patriots' players follow Belichick's mantra/directive and wear it like a badge. When Troll Borges comes up with a question, they do not all go "run for the hills and hide." If anything, the put it on Belichick and say, "I can't say anything."

I can't get the image of a 300 lb. man not walking but running away from a bunch of pencil neck reporters out of my head. That part does seem weird to me, sounds like Ricky Williams. The rest of it sounds just like the Boston media crying because Belichick won't tell them anything.

His options were:

Or

Patriots' players follow Belichick's mantra/directive and wear it like a badge. When Troll Borges comes up with a question, they do not all go "run for the hills and hide." If anything, the put it on Belichick and say, "I can't say anything."

I am pretty sure DBRICk was not running away from the media as it is being portrayed and im am pretty sure I know why he was running. Hempstead Turnpike isnt a friggin country road. If you dont hurry your @ss across it you may get killed.

His options were:

Or

He made a PR mistake - you're going to cruciufy a young guy for a dumb mistake? He'll learn from it and do better next time. Not to mention that the media HAS GOT TO BE BLOWING THIS SO OUT OF PROPORTION.

This is much ado about nothing. Quite frankly, the Jets have much more to worry about then how their prize draftee handles the press.

Kansas - making me put a positive spin on anything Jets is disgusting. I may go puke now......

He made a PR mistake - you're going to cruciufy a young guy for a dumb mistake? He'll learn from it and do better next time. Not to mention that the media HAS GOT TO BE BLOWING THIS SO OUT OF PROPORTION.

This is much ado about nothing. Quite frankly, the Jets have much more to worry about then how their prize draftee handles the press.

Kansas - making me put a positive spin on anything Jets is disgusting. I may go puke now......

Garb being the voice of reason makes me want to puke

Garb - Yes, I am going to crucify him. I am bored. ;)

I apologize for making you feel you have to defend the Jets. I probably should have been clearer. I agree with you a 100%. It was most likely an honest mistake. It is just all the Brick Ball Washing on the first page of this thread that made me post.

Here was my email this morning. I honestly think the press was clamoring for a story and this was the only thing they could come up with. I doubt he was even running. He was probably just playfully jogging away and the beat writers were too out of shape to keep up.

Anyway:

Subject:Your article today

To:mark.cannizzaro@nypost.com

Mark,

The beat reporters were spoon-fed stories by your buddy Herm and now you'll all have to really work to get your stories. I actually like the fact that assistants and players are off limits to the media. This is a big change and one that was sorely needed IMHO.

If you don't like covering the Jets, go cover the Giants. Then you can get daily quotes from Tiki and other players about how they're going to the Super Bowl this year. Sound familiar? That's all you heard last year out of the Jets and look what happened.

This fan is ecstatic that there won't be anymore 2 hour press conferences with Herm handing out coffee and donuts to the reporters. You had it easy under Herm's watch. Get ready to really have to dig to get your stories under Mangini's watch.

This fan couldn't be happier.

Keith

Could it have gone down like this? I hope so.

Eric Mangini to Jets players:

The media is a necessary evil. We will all ultimately have to give them some of our time. As we go through camp I will issue very clear directives on what should and should not be shared with them. I will expect that these be adhered to. For the time being we are concentrating on building a winning football team - therefore you collectively and individually have nothing to say to them as we have yet to accomplish anything. Capeesh?

Tuff Tiddy Lardazz - go do some research and write something that requires talent - not gossip and speculation.

Archived