Could David Harris be the 2007 DROY?

Untouchable

It's very possible in my opinion.

Harris defines the term "football player". He won't dazzle you with athleticism, but he brings it every down and has a fierce attitude on the field. He's an excellent tackler and showcased solid passrushing skills during his tenure at Michigan.

He's as stout as they come against the run and displays exceptional wrap up technique.

David is known for his ability to shed blockers and is constantly around the action. He comes up in the big game and is a fantastic leader/field general.

This guy is the epitome of a Mangini player and is the ideal 3-4 ILB.

IMO it's either going to be David Harris or Patrick Willis who walks away with DROY honors.

Harris defines the term "football player". He won't dazzle you with athleticism, but he brings it every down and has a fierce attitude on the field. He's an excellent tackler and showcased solid passrushing skills during his tenure at Michigan.

He's as stout as they come against the run and displays exceptional wrap up technique.

David is known for his ability to shed blockers and is constantly around the action. He comes up in the big game and is a fantastic leader/field general.

IMO it's either going to be David Harris or Patrick Willis who walks away with DROY honors.

I think it all depends on how he adapts to the 3-4 in the NFL. The Pats and Steelers have always used veteran LB's. Vilma struggled in his 1st year with the 3-4.

Thats why I said 3-4 in the NFL. I think its going to be a little tougher for him to adjust playing against NFL offenses.

Still has expereince, something Vilma did not have, and is a bigger linebacker, best suited for a 34 ILB role.

Thanks for playing.;-)

He is a rookie and plays defense so he has a shot at it. I hope he plays well enough to get it, that would be huge for the Jets. I hope him and Revis are the first and second guys in consideration for the award.

Big difference from college to the NFL especially with a Mangini defense. I vote Schlegel for Rookie of the year!

I didn't realize you got your "way-back" time-machine working.

As for Harris, and in connection to the WildCard game, I wouldn't be surprised to see some 3-5 sets. Barton played like an animal in that game. If we played 3 ILB's and kept a slim DRob on board we might see an evolution of our defense.

Take a second to think about it before responding.

Ellis, DRob, Coleman

Thomas, Harris, Vilma, Barton, Hobson

As for Harris, and in connection to the WildCard game, I wouldn't be surprised to see some 3-5 sets. Barton played like an animal in that game. If we played 3 ILB's and kept a slim DRob on board we might see an evolution of our defense.

Ellis, DRob, Coleman

Thomas, Harris, Vilma, Barton, Bowens

Dyson, Revis, Rhodes

I wouldn't mind seeing this 11 on the field; very athletic...

Ellis, DRob, Coleman

The Jets Dline was destroyed in the wildcard game, especially when the Pats got the ball early in the 4th quarter.

I like Ellis a lot but DRob is still a question mark to me.

Barton is very good, Hobson is solid, but Vilma is over matched in the 3-4 and Harris is a rookie.

The Jets Dline was destroyed in the wildcard game, especially when the Pats got the ball early in the 4th quarter.

I like Ellis a lot but DRob is still a question mark to me.

Barton is very good, Hobson is solid, but Vilma is over matched in the 3-4 and Harris is a rookie.

When Vilma is freed to roam he is very effective. He made a dominant stop just before half-time. I think if our team chooses to neglect a big-body NT, then the blocker-shedding needs to come from (at least) one ILB. Harris, while a rookie plays with strong instincts and excells in this department. Barton improved throughout the season in his play-recognition.

If Vilma can somehow be sandwiched between these two, and if Bowens/Hobson/Thomas can provide decent zone/coverage skills then I think this might be a real possibility.

Dyson, Revis, and Rhodes can man the secondary. I am not impressed with the current tackling skills of our rotating SS position.

When is the last time a 3-4 ILB won rookie of the year?

I would think it would be nearly impossible for Harris to win unless he is just a complete beast. He isn't going to get 150 tackles and he isn't going to get 8-10 sacks. Another rookie will probably get one of those, and he'll win the award. My early favorites would probably be Gaines Adams and Anthony Spencer.

When is the last time a 3-4 ILB won rookie of the year?

I would think it would be nearly impossible for Harris to win unless he is just a complete beast. He isn't going to get 150 tackles and he isn't going to get 8-10 sacks. Another rookie will probably get one of those, and he'll win the award. My early favorites would probably be Gaines Adams and Anthony Spencer.

when is the last time I agreed with anything The Troll posted?

Ellis, DRob, Coleman

\

I don't need a second, I think that would be sick. I am really hoping the the def. doesn't hold us up this year. With the personel that we have been aquiring it seems we are going to be seeing a lot of different formations.

Dyson, Revis, Rhodes

I wouldn't mind seeing this 11 on the field; very athletic...

With the LB's/DE's on our team, it'll allow for the coaches to use a lot of different schemes, personell packages, and formations.

For example, B. Thomas and D. Bowens can play D.E and OLB, this will allow the defense to change from a 4-3 to a 3-4 or visa versa on nearly a moments notice. If we keep Barton and Hobson around, we can get very creative on the defensive side of the ball.

some are suggesting that harris and revis will step right in and contribute as starters, but i think they will need more time to reach that level. i'm interested to see how training camp goes because the jets season could really hinge on whether these two are ready to contribute at a high level from game one.

Defensive rookies tend to step in a lot quicker than their offensive counterparts. Top CBs especially have an impact quickly, most usually start right away and do decent. Is Revis going to be a top CB? Time will tell, but both our rookie defensive players have shots at it. I didn't look at this draft too closely, who else on defense this year looks to be special?

Defensive rookies tend to step in a lot quicker than their offensive counterparts. Top CBs especially have an impact quickly, most usually start right away and do decent. Is Revis going to be a top CB? Time will tell, but both our rookie defensive players have shots at it. I didn't look at this draft too closely, who else on defense this year looks to be special?

No order:

Revis - NYJ

Harris - NYJ

Carriker - STL

Okoye - HOU

Landry - WAS

Adams - TB

Nelson - JAK

Houston - ATL

Davis - AZ

Weddle - SD

The DROY award is going to be a battle between a lot of good talents this year.

Darrelle Revis, David Harris, Amobi Okoye, Gaines Adams, Adam Carriker, Lawrence Timmons, Leon Hall, Aaron Ross, LaRon Landry, Reggie Nelson, Chris Houston, Brandon Merriweather, Jon Beason, Jarvis Moss, Patrick Willis, etc.

Of course he can the the DROY. I give him about a 4% chance.

But, can we at least wait to see if the guys is even going to be the starter coming out of camp before we start saying he has the inside shot at getting rookie of the year? The way some of you are building the guy up if he doesnt get it you are going to be dissapointed.

Harris did see some 3-4 action in college, but it was during his sophomore year. I dont think that will give him a huge advantage over the other defensive rookies.

In order to win DROY you need talent, good coaching and situational opportunity. He seems to have the first two and there is not a pro bowler on the roster ahead of him.

Yes, if he shows he is the best available player in camp then he will certainly get enough reps during the season to have a shot at it.

I think Revis has a better shot at it than Harris.

I think Revis will be picked on alot, especially early in the season. We will find out very quickly if he's worth the price the Jets paid.

I agree that Revis will be picked on, especially in week 1. You know Brady will constantly be checking who Revis is matched up against.

IMO it's either going to be David Harris or Patrick Willis who walks away with DROY

honors.

Why do Jet fans go out of their way to make themselves look foolish. Maybe it gives them a thrill to make stupid predictions in the off-season because "anything can be real in the off-season". David Harris is a nice player, and should have a nice career, there is however "ZERO" basis for anyone to think he will be DROY. Typical jet fans, every rookie is a future Hall of Famer, every Free Agent is a "BEAST" that will be that last missing part of the puzzle. :rolleyes:

Why do Jet fans go out of their way to make themselves look foolish. Maybe it gives them a thrill to make stupid predictions in the off-season because "anything can be real in the off-season". David Harris is a nice player, and should have a nice career, there is however "ZERO" basis for anyone to think he will be DROY. Typical jet fans, every rookie is a future Hall of Famer, every Free Agent is a "BEAST" that will be that last missing part of the puzzle. :rolleyes:

Wow, I hate internet tough guys, did daddy beat you with an electrical cord?

Hahaha, I love threads like this. Training camp isn't even in full swing yet, and Harris is up for DROY. I'm not poking fun at you (I love the enthusiasm), just makes me laugh. And, makes me sweat droplets as big as golf balls in anticipation of the new season. GO JETS!

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived