New York Jets Fact or Fiction: Kellen Clemens

SoFlaJets

By Joe Caporoso | April 8th, 2008

Throughout the next few weeks, we will be looking at some common statements about the Jets and whether they are fact or fiction. Today we start off with a question about their quarterback situation:

Statement: The Jets must draft a quarterback on the first day because Kellen Clemens isn

Throughout the next few weeks, we will be looking at some common statements about the Jets and whether they are fact or fiction. Today we start off with a question about their quarterback situation:

Statement: The Jets must draft a quarterback on the first day because Kellen Clemens isn

Nice job, Joe. I agree we need to just back off of Clemens and give him a chance. 8 games? He's only played 8 friggin games. Sheeesh. You'd think he's playing in the roughest most critical media market in sports. :-s

Let's worry about putting a better team around him before we drive him out of town.

I thought a QB is supposed to be able to carry a team on his back and make the rest of the team better? How come Kellen needs all these weapons around him to succeed?

he's a young guy KS...and our offense is not built like that-especially this coming year-we're gonna be a running team first...I still go back to the Ravens game as to what I hope Clemens can be

he's a young guy KS...and our offense is not built like that-especially this coming year-we're gonna be a running team first...I still go back to the Ravens game as to what I hope Clemens can be

what about the Pitt game? In front of basically a steeler crowd, he had every chance in the world to fold up and lose the game. He kept us in the game, and brought us back with the chips were down.

I'm very confident he will be a solid QB for us.

I thought a QB is supposed to be able to carry a team on his back and make the rest of the team better? How come Kellen needs all these weapons around him to succeed?

KS why are you down on Clemens? What successful QB plays behind the kind of OL Clemens played behind last year? Or with a lack of downfield threats? Or with a below average running game? Or with a defense that's ranked near the bottom of the league?

what about the Pitt game? In front of basically a steeler crowd, he had every chance in the world to fold up and lose the game. He kept us in the game, and brought us back with the chips were down.

yup and with a lousy receiving corps

Wrong thread KS. I believe you should be posting in the "Pennington needs the best OL, RB and WR's in the NFL to succeed" thread.

Give Kellen a full season before you throw him under the bus.

Actually, my post was being sarcastic. Basically, the same things people are saying Kellen needs to succeed are the same things Chad was being criticized for needing in order to succeed. I just find it funny, that's all.

I actually want to see what Kellen has with a full set of weapons around him, so I'm not really throwing him under the bus. I just get a little ticked off when I see the double-standard. I fully understand a QB needs more to succeed than what Kellen or Chad had last year, but others want to criticize Chad for needing an OL, WR's and a running game to succeed, yet then say Kellen didn't succeed last year because he had no OL, WR's or running game.

There were some things that Kellen did last year that I really liked and others that really pissed me off. Same with Chad.

Kellen looked good in the 2 minute drill, especially when we were down. Unfortunately, he looked horriblly lost when the defense was not in a prevent. In the 2 minute offense he relies on his natural talent. In the normal offense he is a deer in the headlights. Hopefully that will change this year, but I have my doubts.

KS why are you down on Clemens? What successful QB plays behind the kind of OL Clemens played behind last year? Or with a lack of downfield threats? Or with a below average running game? Or with a defense that's ranked near the bottom of the league?

Just for the record, the Jets gave up 18 points per game from the bye week (10) on, so their defense wasn't near the bottom of the league, actually near the top during that stretch.

As the article states the guy has played all of 8 games in his career. And in these games he had a joke of an o-line and was usually playing with just 1 healthy starting receiver. WTF were you expecting from the guy?

Please be realistic, a young guy in that situation is not going to be putting up Peyton Manning like stats. Let's see how he does with a solid OL and running game and a real #3 receiver.

Statement: The Jets must draft a quarterback on the first day because Kellen Clemens isn’t the answer.

Fiction - It makes absolutely zero sense to give up on Kellen Clemens, who the Jets drafted with a high second round pick in 2006. Clemens started eight games last season and pundits out there love pouring over his weak stat line as evidence that he can’t be a capable NFL quarterback. However, Clemens played behind one of the worst offensive lines in the NFL and with a beat up and weak receiving core. Despite this, he turned in strong performances against Baltimore, Washington, Pittsburgh (4th quarter), and Miami. It is amazing how quickly people forget the potential that he displayed in those games. For all of those people with a short term memory, let’s take a look at the recaps from a few Jets game this year courtesy of ESPN.com

Against Washington: (Without Lavernues Coles in the line-up)

“Kellen Clemens had an impressive debut as the Jets’ starting quarterback. He showed great poise in the pocket and the ability to move the chains with both his arm and legs. He was efficient in the first half and staked the Jets to the lead. The Redskins were less than impressive on both sides of the ball until the fourth quarter. Then, using a power running game and controlled passing attack, Washington started to wear down the undersized New York defense. Still, despite the loss, it was an outstanding debut for Clemens. ”

– Ken Moll, Scouts Inc.

Against Pittsburgh: (Without Coles for the entire game after the first drive)

”The Jets played a solid football game and used all the tricks in their bag, and the late-game execution and poise of young QB Kellen Clemens could be a sign of good things to come.”

–Matt Williamson, Scouts Inc.

Here is another one: Clemens was named NEXT by ESPN this past December and they had this to say about him:

Kellen Clemens, New York Jets QB

“He is a big, strong-armed QB who can make all the throws. If the Jets can surround him with enough talent, Clemens has the chance to develop into an elite NFL quarterback.” – Jeremy Green

The bottom line is that Clemens is a talented player, who has the tools necessary to lead the Jets this season. Let’s see him with their revamped offensive line, new fullback, new blocking tight end, Cotchery, Coles, and hopefully a new number three receiver. There is no reason to waste a draft pick on a quarterback on day one, when Clemens hasn’t been given a fair shot.

Why should anybody think Joe Flacco or Chad Henne would be more productive than Clemens this year as the Jets quarterback? Clemens showed tremendous poise in late game situations last year against Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Washington, and Cleveland. Beyond that, Clemens was killed by crucial drops in all of those games. He had no help. The guy has started 8 games and people are ready to give up on him! Did anybody watch this year’s Super BowlBetting-on-the-Super-Bowl ? How did Eli Manning fair in his first 8 games?

I firmly believe Clemens will be the starting quarterback on opening day this season and that it is the right choice.

Thank you Jeremy Green:) I agree with him, but I believe Chad will start and have a career year. Book it.

As the article states the guy has played all of 8 games in his career. And in these games he had a joke of an o-line and was usually playing with just 1 healthy starting receiver. WTF were you expecting from the guy?

Please be realistic, a young guy in that situation is not going to be putting up Peyton Manning like stats. Let's see how he does with a solid OL and running game and a real #3 receiver.

Read my second post. My first post was being sarcastic.

I can't beleive the writer had the audacity to cite the Cleveland game in order to hype up Clemens. He flat out sucked in that game against the worst secondary in the NFL.

yeah ummm, refresh my memory, wasn't that the game in which mangini decided to go for like a SECOND off sides kick instead of going for it on 4 and a few in the red zone because KC wasn't getting it done?

Good article, as I agree completely. We addressed the line, I wish we addressed the receivers, too. Hopefully Coles stays healthy and/or Brad Smith's light goes on. He got some much experience last year.

Just for the record, the Jets gave up 18 points per game from the bye week (10) on, so their defense wasn't near the bottom of the league, actually near the top during that stretch.

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.

Opposing offenses did what they wanted to do against the Jets, and that was run the ball down their throats. They didn't have to put up points being that the Jets offense was so anemic. They were content controlling the ball and the game.

I assume you are comparing him to Pennington, under whom the offense was worse (though both of them were bad).

Under Chad, we lost the games when our defense held the opponent to:

17 points (Buffalo)

16 points (Philadelphia)

13 points (Buffalo)

13 points (Tennessee)

Those games alone would have been sufficient to propel our awful 2007 team to 8-8.

Even the year before, we got fully shut out twice - TWICE - in the same season behind that boob.

I may not have all the confidence in the world in Clemens (I do not at this point), but it is at least feasible he improves into a good QB. It is not so for Pennington, who is just an awful QB; incapable of putting points on the board, giving his RB's breathing space, or adding any element of unpredictability to our offense.

If Clemens gets soundly beat by Pennington in camp, then he shouldn't be starting. But if that happens, we have zero chance at anything. At this point in his career, Chad is simply a loser.

Clemens deserves at least a second shot.

I'm not his biggest supporter but I mean even Browing Nagle got 16 games before Coslet threw him under the bus.

Clemens went through what alot of good young QB's have gone through their first time out. There were flashes where you thought he could be a player and their were moments you though you were looking at Bubby Brister.

I have to at least give him 2008 before I would start looking for a QB. Unless people think Ryan is going to be next Manning or Elway you have to give this kid a second look.

If he doesn't improve with the upgrades the Jets have made this season then I would be all in favor of drafting of QB in 09.

The problem with Chad is simple-he no longer has an NFL arm. His precision has been undermined by trying to force short out passes against defenses playing up against him and taking away the short to mid zone. With the stack defenses the runners have no space, his great play fakes become worthless and he doesn't have deep receivers that would strike fear in the hearts of the secondary (even if he did, how often could he get them the ball).

At least with KC we have a chance, his arm is better than average, good mobility (yes, he looked like the proverbial deer in the headlights on occasion-but that comes with game experience), swagger and confidence come with success and a stronger OL.

he showed more than enough to warrant a full season.

Nice article and agreee he'll probably deserve to start the season, but how could he quote a guy that calls Clemens "big"? He's borderline teeny.

Thats what I was thinking Dom, 6'-2" 223lbs isnt exactly what Id call big either.

I still think Clemens gets the starting nod though, he has the ability to reach a higher playing level than he was at last year where Penny has already leveled off playing-wise in his career. (injuries have sped this up) Once Clemens masters a sellable play fake he can play Pennys game, and bring more to the table on top of that IMO.

If this O-line protects like we think they will, and the running game gets establishished like we think it will then why not start the QB with the brighter looking future of the two? Although nothing is guaranteed to work, I would hope this offense will give enough protection for Clemens to settle into a pocket and move the chains just as well as Pennington could-if not better.

Thank you Jeremy Green:) I agree with him, but I believe Chad will start and have a career year. Book it.

If Chad starts he would out up career marks in interceptions, pick sixes, and floaters that cause partial decapitation of our receivers.

The steeler game was won by a defense that really showed up that game.

The Baltimore game made me realize we really have something special in Clemens. He actually had their defense on their toes in the fourth quarter and you could tell Kellen could taste blood. Too bad McCareins forgot that when 3 balls hit you right in the hands you are supposed to catch them. Loser! he robbed Kellen of his first ever win,and it was also the kids first start. The best pass thrown by a jet qb in the past 4 yrs was in this game...kellen on the post to justin, that was a thing of beauty and he robbed him.

Thanks, Jimmy. Best laugh I've had in a while.

We need a QB. We have an old, broken one and a young ****ty one.

I agree. We need to hope that either Matt Ryan falls to the sixth pick, or Chad Henne is available to us in the second round. Also, what happened to Colt Brenna? Currently, what round is he projected? Because if it's past the first round, I'd want him in a heartbeat!

Archived