Chads performance in miami today was the best in camp so far this year....

hellcat

Dolphins report: Pennington moves offense

> Posted by Omar Kelly at 3:48:28 PM

Let me preface this blog entry by reminding you I'm not a fan of quarterbacks, and I wasn't a fan of Chad Pennington.

Notice the word WASN'T! I don't like the Jets at all, and I don't like quarterbacks who don't have the arm to throw deep. But with that said, and with the warning that I'm FAR from a guy who buys the company line, I'm pleased to report that Pennington's performance today was the best I'd seen ALL CAMP.

It seemed as if Pennington has been in this offense his entire career. Balls were being thrown before receivers made their breaks. Balls were placed either right in their hands, right over their heads for jump balls, or about to hit their helmet. Sometimes they didn't even see the ball until it was two feet in front of their face like the one Anthony Armstrong pulled in.

Pennington is indeed pinpoint accurate like advertised. NOW I understand why he's the NFL's most accurate passer. He had great anticipation with players he'd never thrown a ball to before.

Pennington worked with the first team all practice, getting about 65 percent of the total snaps, and completed 13-of-21 passes during team drills. And very few of them were checkdowns. He threw one touchdown during redzone drills on a fade to tight end David Martin. But he also threw a pick-six that cornerback Andre' Goodman totally anticipated, which made me conclude the Dolphins opponents will be playing plenty of tight zone coverage this season.

Miami's opponents might not be afraid of Pennington's deep ball, but he might be able to pick them apart on the short and intermediate game. I saw about six or seven perfectly placed passes from Pennington on Monday. I'm talking passes where only his receiver could have caught the ball.

After watching this one practice, and it was just one practice, I immediately put him atop my list of quarterbacks for that starting job. But I'm not doing it because he's the hotshot new guy. If John Beck would have had Pennington's practice showing he would have immediately moved himself up my depth chart.

"He was very accurate today, putting the ball on point. That's what you want from your quarterback," receiver Ernest Wilford said of Pennington.

While I initially thought it was impossible for Pennington to learn this offense in two weeks, like coach Tony Sparano hoped, now I'm a believer.

He made it look easy on Monday.

"To him the plays are kind of second nature and he just has to look at the coverage,"Beck said of Pennington, who has a similar QB style.

As for the other QBs, Henne was exclusively working with the second team, and got the most work of the other three. He completed 9-of-15 passes and was hot and cold, like usual.

Beck got the least work, but he threw a touchdown pass on a fade to Davone Bess, who jumped over Chris Roberson to get it. It was a beautiful catch and throw.

But he also threw a pick-six that cornerback Andre' Goodman totally anticipated, which made me conclude the Dolphins opponents will be playing plenty of tight zone coverage this season.

This, in the best performance by a fish QB this summer?

Bring it on.

Yeah - the guy didnt mention the deer in the headlights look. So Chaddy boy knew he was practicing. Like Joe said - he's the prime minister of the practice field. Which is why I think he'll make a good coach someday too.

good for chad. i hope the miami fans are entertained. i wish chad well. let him take the dolphins to a 14-2 record this year.

If they dolphins win 14 games this year I will decapitate myself with a chainsaw live on JN webcam.

facing chad is going to be a good test for this defense. chad goes into shellshock when he throws an early int, but if he gets on a roll he can be tough. he has never been good against good defenses so we should find out week 1 what kind of D the jets have this year.

if the jets don't pressure chad and give the wr's room to catch the short balls chad can carve the jets apart. a 4-12 team shouldn't underestimate anyone - this is probably 1 of the 2 games the fish think they have a chance in.

Well Mangini game planned against Chad, if he cut him and didn't care about where he'd end up, clearly he is not worried. As opposed to the Packers, who didn't want Favre in the same conference.

We'll find out if Chad is really as bad as some of us have said he is and if our defense isn't just putrid by Week 1. If our defense is even halfway decent, we should be able to shut Chad down completely.

Dolphins report: Pennington moves offense

> Posted by Omar Kelly at 3:48:28 PM

But he also threw a pick-six that cornerback Andre' Goodman totally anticipated, which made me conclude the Dolphins opponents will be playing plenty of tight zone coverage this season.

Ya think?

Archived