#1 offseason need

johnny green balls

someone opposite Revis. while our D got most of the press this year, I think the offense is actually in better shape moving forward once our rooks get more experience. i think even before getting a pass rusher we need another decent CB... we were exposed big time yesterday and getting Jenks back will help the D line. it's pretty obvious that lito will be cut imho.

i was thinking our number one need was an outside linebacker to specialize in pass rushing. Pace and Thomas are both pretty good at it but it nevere seemed we could create pressure without calling on the blitz. It would be nice to drop seven in coverage and still get after the QB.

Although, it would be much easier finding a solid CB than a excellent pass rushing OLBer.

We had the best defense against the pass. Defense against the run was good, but not great.

Can someone explain to me how we've reached the consensus that DB is our biggest position of need, when our passing d is so good?

Why not pass rusher (since our sacks aren't that high considering, and this way we won't have to send so many on the blitz) OR a big run stuffing DE/DT?

We had the best defense against the pass. Defense against the run was good, but not great.

Can someone explain to me how we've reached the consensus that DB is our biggest position of need, when our passing d is so good?

Why not pass rusher (since our sacks aren't that high considering, and this way we won't have to send so many on the blitz) OR a big run stuffing DE/DT?

This is what I think as well. No DB's except the all powerful Revis can cover all day. We need a true pass rusher to shorten the time our DB's need to cover.

This is what I think as well. No DB's except the all powerful Revis can cover all day. We need a true pass rusher to shorten the time our DB's need to cover.

True. It's a point I was trying to point out earlier, if peyton was given that amount of time, there's only a few CBs, which I could probably count on one hand, who could be consistently effective. I think addressing a #2 CB is a necessity, but so is a slot WR on offense.

A slot guy, along the lines of welker, edleman, who can consistently move the chains as a defacto run game, when say shonn greene goes down or our line isn't getting a push. Also, a player like tate or shipley can not only get sanchez in a groove early and help move the chains, but is a huge factor in picking up the blitz. If we came out of the draft with Tate with our first rounder and than a CB, DE/DT and a RB, I'd be happy.

Outside of Haden, there aren't too many first round-graded CBs in this draft, but a plethora of 2nd-3rd round talent. And look what the colts did with some mid rounders the last couple years.

WR in the 1st no way maybe in the later rounds. Cotchery and Edwards as good as anyother tandem in the league.

Jets have nothing behind them, though, and Edwards is only here on a one-year trial basis next season. I hope he sticks, but there's no guarantees. If he continues with the big drops, I can't see the Jets making a major investment in him.

Meanwhile the key to winning in the NFL is a strong passing offense and defense. Jets had the #1 passing defense in the NFL last year, and the #31 passing offense. The Jets need a high end prospect as a third WR. Even the great Tom Brady suffered this season lacking a third WR option.

The Jets #1 priority has to be doing whatever they have to do to make Mark Sanchez the best QB he can be.

And before CB and S on dee, the Jets need a solid full time DE.

The Jets had a rough outing against the maybe the GOAT QB. I get it. No reason to overreact. It's the offense that needs help.

Its still definitely up there as one of our biggest needs simply because we dont have glaring holes. We are long in the tooth at DE. We dont have **** beyond J-Co. We dont have a CB worth a **** opposite Revis.

Every other position, is a nice to have. It would be nice to have an all world pass rusher, this D doesnt necessarily need one proven by their success this season and its not like they grow on trees. A beastly safety would be a nice to have, but we its not dire need. I think we are going to be beastly with Big Jenk back next year, but Pouha is good, really good.

Any where else you are looking at depth.

Its still definitely up there as one of our biggest needs simply because we dont have glaring holes. We are long in the tooth at DE. We dont have **** beyond J-Co. We dont have a CB worth a **** opposite Revis.

Every other position, is a nice to have. It would be nice to have an all world pass rusher, this D doesnt necessarily need one proven by their success this season and its not like they grow on trees. A beastly safety would be a nice to have, but we its not dire need. I think we are going to be beastly with Big Jenk back next year, but Pouha is good, really good.

Any where else you are looking at depth.

Unless we lose Rhodes and Lito, DE/DT is a bigger area of concern for me. We are supposed to be a physical team. We win it in the trenches.

We finished the season with DeVito, Pouha and Douglas on our d-line. When Ellis was in and healthy it was a tad better but he's getting old now. I like him, want to keep him around, but he needs help.

Look, I'm not knocking DeVito, Pouha or Douglas, they played well for us but an upgrade at DE or a spell DT will help miles more than DB because it will help with run defense and pass rush.

We have the #1 pass defense and an above average run defense. Upgrade the run defense.

WR in the 1st no way maybe in the later rounds. Cotchery and Edwards as good as anyother tandem in the league.

Edwards was a good in season addition but still had too many drops and is way too inconsistent. I'd bring him back next year because he opens the running lanes but would invest a first or second to hedge our bet.

College WR usually take a year or two to hit their stride...this is the year to use a high pick and bring a player into the fold without the additional expectations of providing an immediate impact.

Unless we lose Rhodes and Lito, DE/DT is a bigger area of concern for me. We are supposed to be a physical team. We win it in the trenches.

We finished the season with DeVito, Pouha and Douglas on our d-line. When Ellis was in and healthy it was a tad better but he's getting old now. I like him, want to keep him around, but he needs help.

Look, I'm not knocking DeVito, Pouha or Douglas, they played well for us but an upgrade at DE or a spell DT will help miles more than DB because it will help with run defense and pass rush.

We have the #1 pass defense and an above average run defense. Upgrade the run defense.

IMO the 3 biggest needs are CB, WR, DE in that order. Reason I have DE last is because I think with Big Jenk back and the way Pouha, DeVito and Douglas started to play toward the end of the year, Rex will have a lot of flexibility with that group.

However Tanny needs to get it done. Those 3 positions need to be addressed.

Bingo.

I want a pass rusher first and foremost.

Im still with this.

We have to sell out to get to get QB pressure. It worked most of the year but failed when we needed it most. I think we fair better against Manning if we could rush with 4, one being a true rusher and keep our LB and CB's to cover. I love the facy blitzes and I do mean love, but sometimes you need to be able to get pressure with only 4 guys. Yesterday was that time.

Definitely is a Cornerback.

Lito and Strick always hurt, Lowery sucks. We desperately need another Corner.

A name to look at is Fabian Washington, who started 12 of 16 games for Rex in Baltimore in 2008. He is a FA.

An edge rusher wouldnt have helped at all against Peyton. I thought the pass rush all season was pretty good. I truly believe a safety that patrols the middle of the field and strikes fear is the missing piece. We got killed on those drag routes and stick routes.

Sacks are an overrated stat anyway. Its about QB pressure and forcing rushed throws.

Mangini's defense in 2008 had a ton of sacks and the defense was awful.

Agreed, but Edwards is about to get paid and neither of them has game changing speed. If you add Golden Tate to this group as a slot receiver, you have a great group.

IMO the 3 biggest needs are CB, WR, DE in that order. Reason I have DE last is because I think with Big Jenk back and the way Pouha, DeVito and Douglas started to play toward the end of the year, Rex will have a lot of flexibility with that group.

However Tanny needs to get it done. Those 3 positions need to be addressed.

+1

Pouha, DeVito, Douglas, AND Ellis and Jenkins ... give us a bit to work with barring injury ... (Ellis was really showing up well for a one handed man last two games). But depth would be good as age is starting to become a factor. We have some good role players here, but really need to build this unit for the future

We have CB depth with Lowery and Strickland ... Lito isn't enough of a starter for the salary he's got coming. We don't have to have another revis ... but a solid starter who can press at the line and run with coverage down filed is key to not having to handicap our secondary with always providing help for whoever is at the 2 spot. This will actually help the blitz become a bit more exotic in giving some freedom to involve more of the secondary in bringing the blitz from all over rather than focusing on sending only LB's and one a safety

Wr- I think everyone is sold on the cotch edwards tandem as they are quite dynamic with Cotch catching everything in sight and braylons big play capability. Brad Smith showed some flashes, but only as a utility gadget guy ... not a third option. The clown is just that ... and there is nothing behind these four

Edge rusher isn't going to be easy to strike gold on where we sit in the draft and this might be more of a luxury at this point than a necessity as Rex has the ability to scheme up a lot with the talent we have

I am keeping a look out on Cory Wootton as a DE prospect for the late first ... Tate at Wr ... and perhaps patrick Robinson at CB

I could also see the Jets going with Mike Iupati late to give some depth to the ol. This unit has to stay elite and one injury could be rough for them

An edge rusher wouldnt have helped at all against Peyton. I thought the pass rush all season was pretty good. I truly believe a safety that patrols the middle of the field and strikes fear is the missing piece. We got killed on those drag routes and stick routes.

Sacks are an overrated stat anyway. Its about QB pressure and forcing rushed throws.

Mangini's defense in 2008 had a ton of sacks and the defense was awful.

you're right. we need a roving S who can be everywhere at once to make QBs always have to take that extra second to account for him before releasing.

you're right. we need a roving S who can be everywhere at once to make QBs always have to take that extra second to account for him before releasing.

Luckily, I think Rex feels the same way.

Good teams neutralize edge rushers. Freeney didnt do anything on Sunday.

Archived