Mel Kiper ESPN says Mays.

visajets

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Safety | Southern Cal | SR Taylor Mays

Height: 6-3⅛ | Weight: 230 | 40-Time: 4.43

Official Bio

Strengths:

Fantastic size with a chiseled physique --- Terrific athlete --- Excellent timed speed --- Quick and agile --- Explosive with a burst --- Smooth with fluid hips --- Great leaping ability --- Superb range --- Extremely aggressive --- Very strong --- Tough --- Violent hitter --- Does a superb job in run support --- Able to turn and run in coverage --- Reads and reacts well --- Smart and a student of the game --- Outstanding work ethic --- A team player --- Productive --- Durable --- A ton of experience versus elite competition --- Quality bloodlines --- Top program pedigree.

Weaknesses:

Questionable instincts and awareness --- Poor ball skills --- Average hands --- Not a reliable tackler --- Takes some bad angles --- Doesn't always play as fast as he times --- Will have trouble matching up with wideouts in man coverage --- Plays too tall at times --- Struggles in space --- Too often gets preoccupied with delivering the knockout blow.

Notes:

Was a four-year starter for the Trojans --- A consensus 1st Team All-American in 2008 --- 3rd Team All-American in 2007 and 2nd Team in 2009 --- Named 1st Team All-Pac-10 as a junior and senior --- Father, Stafford Mays, was a defensive lineman who played in the NFL with the St. Louis Cardinals and Minnesota Vikings --- Had arthroscopic surgery on his ankle prior to spring practice in 2008 --- Missed some time with a sprained knee in 2009 --- The next in a long line of great USC safeties, following in the footsteps of guys like Ronnie Lott, Mark Carrier & Troy Polamalu --- Could potentially project to outside linebacker in certain schemes --- Would have been the first safety selected and a Top 10-15 overall pick had he entered the 2009 NFL Draft --- Extra year in school opened his game up to additional scrutiny, leading to some fair as well as unfair criticism --- Relative lack of big plays in college can be at least partially attributed to the system he played in --- More of an intimidator than a playmaker in the secondary --- Has the talent to be a dynamic all-around player at the next level --- Epitomizes the phrase "Runs Like a Cornerback, Hits Like a Linebacker" --- Workout Warrior and amazing physical specimen with a truly rare blend of size, speed and athleticism.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Career Statistics

Year GP TKL PBU INT YDS

2006 13 62 3 3 40

2007 13 65 6 1 0

2008 13 53 9 0 0

2009 12 96 3 1 0

Totals 51 276 21 5 40

Am I the only one who doesn't like this guy? He is the total opposite of the type of player Ed Reed is. All I hear is he is a "Hard hitter" but he only forced about 3 fumbles at his SC career.

No thanks. I rather have Earl Thomas.

Am I the only one who doesn't like this guy? He is the total opposite of the type of player Ed Reed is. All I hear is he is a "Hard hitter" but he only forced about 3 fumbles at his SC career.

No Ghost! I agree with you. I think this guy is this year's Vernon Gholston! It even says it in the scouting report when it calls him a workout warrier. Pass! I would take Golden Tate over him.

No Ghost! I agree with you. I think this guy is this year's Vernon Gholston! It even says it in the scouting report when it calls him a workout warrier. Pass! I would take Golden Tate over him.

Golden Tate is a monster!

Golden Tate is a monster!

I like him but what do you guys think about Demaryius Thomas if he and Tate are both available. Different kind of player as Thomas is a bigger WR who could replace Braylon in a year (maybe...he is a bit more raw) as a co-#1 w/ Cotchery.

I think Tate has slightly less risk and performs quicker, but Thomas may have more upside. Tough call.

This seems to be the prevailing view around here. The guy might well be a steal if he falls to 29. Big difference between moving up for him and taking him if he falls.

I see this guy as a work out junkie and not a football player. I think we have a bust on our team with that tag already.

I think having workout junkies is important. Guys like Jones were leaders in the lockers because of their workout routine. Don't dismiss it, it's hard work. It doesn't substitute for athletic ability and skill, but if you have two equal players the one that works out better will win. Those guys can set an example in the weight room and make an atmosphere that encourages others to do the same.

I think a 4-3 team would make taylor mays have a less of a chance bust because if he dosent work out at safety to the team's liking, they can make him gain another 10 or 15 pounds and move him to outside linebacker. He wouldnt be able play outside linebacker in the 3-4 unfortunately.

The bottom line is nfl teams should know by now what they are getting. Mays is basically a more athletic roy williams. If everyone knows that this guy cant cover in college than he shouldnt be labeled as a bust if he fails to bring in interceptions in the nfl.

Safety | Southern Cal | SR Taylor Mays

Height: 6-3⅛ | Weight: 230 | 40-Time: 4.43

Official Bio

Strengths:

Fantastic size with a chiseled physique --- Terrific athlete --- Excellent timed speed --- Quick and agile --- Explosive with a burst --- Smooth with fluid hips --- Great leaping ability --- Superb range --- Extremely aggressive --- Very strong --- Tough --- Violent hitter --- Does a superb job in run support --- Able to turn and run in coverage --- Reads and reacts well --- Smart and a student of the game --- Outstanding work ethic --- A team player --- Productive --- Durable --- A ton of experience versus elite competition --- Quality bloodlines --- Top program pedigree.

Weaknesses:

Questionable instincts and awareness --- Poor ball skills --- Average hands --- Not a reliable tackler --- Takes some bad angles --- Doesn't always play as fast as he times --- Will have trouble matching up with wideouts in man coverage --- Plays too tall at times --- Struggles in space --- Too often gets preoccupied with delivering the knockout blow.

Notes:

Was a four-year starter for the Trojans --- A consensus 1st Team All-American in 2008 --- 3rd Team All-American in 2007 and 2nd Team in 2009 --- Named 1st Team All-Pac-10 as a junior and senior --- Father, Stafford Mays, was a defensive lineman who played in the NFL with the St. Louis Cardinals and Minnesota Vikings --- Had arthroscopic surgery on his ankle prior to spring practice in 2008 --- Missed some time with a sprained knee in 2009 --- The next in a long line of great USC safeties, following in the footsteps of guys like Ronnie Lott, Mark Carrier & Troy Polamalu --- Could potentially project to outside linebacker in certain schemes --- Would have been the first safety selected and a Top 10-15 overall pick had he entered the 2009 NFL Draft --- Extra year in school opened his game up to additional scrutiny, leading to some fair as well as unfair criticism --- Relative lack of big plays in college can be at least partially attributed to the system he played in --- More of an intimidator than a playmaker in the secondary --- Has the talent to be a dynamic all-around player at the next level --- Epitomizes the phrase "Runs Like a Cornerback, Hits Like a Linebacker" --- Workout Warrior and amazing physical specimen with a truly rare blend of size, speed and athleticism.

If the weaknesses do not scare you nothing will. I say please pass on this guy

From PFW...

Debate continues to swirl about the top of the board at the safety class. Eric Berry and Earl Thomas are closely positioned at the top of most, with the gap being much closer than perception may be, and some NFL evaluators even preferring Thomas to Berry.

A number of other safety prospects have warranted discussion in the first round, with USC's Taylor Mays still fully expected to fit, and players such as Georgia Tech's Morgan Burnett rising off draft boards after an impressive pro-day performance. South Florida's Nate Allen has also received late first- and early second-round grades from evaluators during the course of the fall season.

If Berry and Thomas are selected in the top 12 as anticipated, some executives believe as many as four safeties could fit into the first round the same way they did in 2007, when LaRon Landry (sixth overall), Michael Griffin (19), Reggie Nelson (21) and Brandon Meriweather (24) all landed.

Three is more likely, with Mays fully expected to land somewhere in the first. Physically, he compares to Landry, and his measurables suggest he should be a top-10 pick. The reality is that he fielded a great deal of third- and even fourth-round grades from NFL evaluators this season and has huge bust potential.

"(The big guy) can't move laterally," one very well-trained set of eyes said. "When you see him in man coverage, receivers run right by him. With the way the game is played today, I have no idea where you play him."

Some teams have discussed the idea of projecting him to weak-side linebacker but question whether he has the toughness to play in the box. Others look at the way LaRon Landry performed for the Redskins this season and are only more concerned.

"Landry did not play very well (last) year," a veteran evaluator said. "He kept going for the home-run hit and missing. The spread between his great plays and his bad plays was huge."

The same could be said for Mays. He is big, fast in a straight line, and can create thunder collisions when he has a clean shot. However, the traits that are necessary to survive on the back end in the NFL

jets fans are gonna have to realize they pick at 29 this year not 2 they are gonna have to deal with an "imperfect" prospect at 29, whoever they pick will have questions... this is maybe why Tanny loves to move up... but assuming they stay at 29... it's a great value to take a chance on Taylor Mays, Carlos Dunlap or some other guy with top 10 measurables who for whatever reason slipped down the board.

jets fans are gonna have to realize they pick at 29 this year not 2 they are gonna have to deal with an "imperfect" prospect at 29, whoever they pick will have questions... this is maybe why Tanny loves to move up... but assuming they stay at 29... it's a great value to take a chance on Taylor Mays, Carlos Dunlap or some other guy with top 10 measurables who for whatever reason slipped down the board.

I don't know about that. This is one of the deepest drafts in years and if our staff does it's homework (which they seem to do), I think we can get ourselves a player at 29 rather than a project which Mays seems to be.

I trust Ryan and Tanny to do the right thing. Afterall, they did pick Revis and Harris as well as Sanchez and Green. But, just to put in my 2 cents, I would pick Golden Tate in Round 1 and Corey Wootton from Northwestern in round 2! Wootton is a real good pass rusher. But I would not be opposed to Odrick in Round 1 and the BAP in Round 2. Afterall, Gastineau was picked in Round 2 and though he was an a-hole, he was a GREAT passrusher. Then, come to think of it, Klecko was picked in Round 6.

Ronnie Lott was more of a hitter than a ballhawk--but it was the mere reputation he carried, and the fact that he was out a'huntin for recievers that caused them to drop balls, cut short routes and alligator arm anything over the middle. I like Mays as an intimidator in a defense that already has smith and ihedigbo (big hitters) as well scott jenks and harris. Any offensive coordinator would be leary of showing his squad game film of this d with another headhunter back there.

Nope, you aren't the only one. I'm right there with you. I will go on record Mays is the next Ghoulston. Please tanny don't pick him.

Vernon Gholston didn't start playing football until he was a junior in high school.

Taylor Mays grew up around football, in fact his dad was in the league.

Except for the fact both are in great shape, I dont see how these prospects are in any way comparable.

Archived