EDIT: Neil Rackers Signs With Houston Texans

Greenranger

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/03/neil-rackers-set-to-visit-jets/

The Jets and Cardinals could unofficially trade kickers.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that Neil Rackers is set to fly to New York Monday for a Tuesday visit. Former Jets kicker Jay Feely signed with Arizona Friday.

In New York, Rackers would have to battle Nick Folk for the starting job. He reportedly had a contract offer from the Cardinals, but wasn't happy with it.

Sign this beast!!!!!!!

Folk and Rackers will battle it out for the PK job. Personally, I'm hoping Folk bounces back from his injury and wins the job...Folk is like 9 years younger than Rackers and not that it means much with kickers, but I'd rather go younger and keep him for awhile...we can't seem to keep our kickers around too long of late.

Folk and Rackers will battle it out for the PK job. Personally, I'm hoping Folk bounces back from his injury and wins the job...Folk is like 9 years younger than Rackers and not that it means much with kickers, but I'd rather go younger and keep him for awhile...we can't seem to keep our kickers around too long of late.

is that what it was Bill? I wondered how a guy can go from making the Pro Bowl to getting cut.

I just looked his stats up and in 2008 he made 20-22 FG's and 42-42 XP-2 over 50 yards

is that what it was Bill? I wondered how a guy can go from making the Pro Bowl to getting cut.

I just looked his stats up and in 2008 he made 20-22 FG's and 42-42 XP-2 over 50 yards

He had some sort of hip surgery going into last season. I am a big Folk fan and think he can certainly recapture his pre-2009 form but I never heard anybody blame his kicking woes on the surgery he had. I would imagine it was mostly mental.

I'd love to see that signing happen.

When you are thinking of just the kicker, yes, I'd like this signing.

HOWEVER, he's a FA. He's going to have to sign for the same or less than Feely did. I don't believe he was cut, but instead is UFA... which also means if we sign him we can't sign another UFA.

He had some sort of hip surgery going into last season. I am a big Folk fan and think he can certainly recapture his pre-2009 form but I never heard anybody blame his kicking woes on the surgery he had. I would imagine it was mostly mental.

I posted this in another thread...

Posted at 3:42 PM on Tue., Feb. 23, 2010 |

Todd Archer/

As you've seen, Nick Folk is a member of the New York Jets. I was able to talk to the former Cowboys kicker in the last few minutes and Folk is excited about his chances with the Jets.

"I'm happy with the situation," said Folk. "I think it's one of the better situations in the league, especially after what happened last year. That didn't work out well but everything happens for a reason."

Folk's struggles were well chronicled during 2009. He missed 10 of 28 field goal tries before his release by the Cowboys after missing just seven attempts his first two seasons.

Off-season hip surgery slowed down his progress and the drafting of David Buehler, Folk said, accelerated his return, which led to some poor habits.

"Looking back on it, I wish I took care of it back in January," said Folk, who had the operation last May.

Since being cut by the Cowboys, Folk worked with his kicking coach, Chris Sailer, and said he found a minor issue that has seen a return to his inconsistency.

"I was leaning over too much at the start," Folk said. "I was taught to be aggressive to the ball but I was hunched over. It's like a golf swing and you're hunched over. It's hard to get through the ball."

Since then, Folk said he has hit the ball much better and much straighter. At his best he would hit the ball tremendously straight (think of those Buffalo kicks as a rookie). Last year at times he had a slice and a draw. And he said his kickoffs have improved greatly.

"I'm hitting them 5, 10 yards deep now," Folk said. "I know I can kickoff. If I can hit 60 yard field goals there's no reason why I can't kickoff."

The Cowboys did not approach Folk about returning and he wanted to go to a place where he could kickoff. He'll get that chance with the Jets, although they are not on the Cowboys' schedule.

"But the Super Bowl is back there," Folk joked.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/ar...nick-folk.html

All kickers are going to run hot and cold when it comes to FG's -- I just want someone who can consistently get the ball deep on kickoffs and start us off with good field position. Either of these guys have the potential to do a better job than Feely in this area.

While I like Rackers more than Feely, I'd rather use the money on another UFA.

Exactly.

Jets finally have the opportunity to sign a UFA. I'd prefer it be a football player over a kicker.

In this situation, I rather have an older kicker.

Rackers is completely better than Folk.

Archived