McNabb to the Redskins!!

gg

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I saw Kolb play last year and wasn't impressed.

That, plus the FACT that Rogers is one of the top five QBs in the NFL right now.

Rogers is one of the best.

GB felt strongly he would be so they let BF walk.

Just sayin Philly must feel the same way about Kolb thet GB felt with Rogers.

They got more for McNabb than GB got for BF so if Kolb is who they think he is they did well.

I think Kolb played 3 games last year. I thought he played well. 2-1

McNabb is still capable of being a winning QB. He doesn't turn the ball over that much during the regular season, he has the ability to execute a two-minute drive, can make the big throw, and is an above-average field QB.

Is he older, yes, are his legs a little weaker, sure, and has he ever really matched up to his hype....that is debatable.

I think he is being moved solely due to the will of the fans. As a football move, this makes no sense.

The Eagles are basically saying they are willing to waste two seasons seeing what they have with Kolb and taking the chance of missing the playoffs for a few seasons in a row.

Eagle fans have no idea that what they wish for is very dangerous, all they can think is that this guy has not won the big game yet.

McNabb can still play as a top 12 or so QB this season and possibly play at a high level for 3 more. In a Shanahan offense, he could see some success....

Not too many QBs have his resume....5 NFC title games and 1 Super Bowl in 11 seasons is something almost any fan would gladly take from his QB and team.

McNabb started to look old last year.

I see it as a similar situation as Green Bay had with Farve / Rogers.

Keep the veteran and possibly ruin the younger players developement.

Kolb will be good. I think he was picked 36th overall so they must like him.

I think Eagles did well to get picks and move foward.

Except the Packers did all they could do within their power to prevent Favre from going to Minnesota, even going as far as putting a clause in the the deal with the Jets that, if NY turned around and dealt him to Minnesota, the Jets would have had to give up three first round picks.

The Eagles, meanwhile, gave McNabb up within their division for about as much compensation as they would have gotten from the Raiders or another interested team.

Except the Packers did all they could do within their power to prevent Favre from going to Minnesota, even going as far as putting a clause in the the deal with the Jets that, if NY turned around and dealt him to Minnesota, the Jets would have had to give up three first round picks.

The Eagles, meanwhile, gave McNabb up within their division for about as much compensation as they would have gotten from the Raiders or another interested team.

Have you considered that McNabb probably would only agree to be traded to certain teams. If you are him do you OK a trade to OAK or BUFF ??

When the Jets cut CP they had no control where he went, therefore your comparison doesn't make any sense.

Understand it is not comparable but the thought he could go to an AFCE team had to be at least considered. You cant be afraid to improve your team based on what another team does. The Eagles are obviously in need of retooling.

Regarding the McNabb trade. The Eagles obviously feel he is on the downside and wanted to get some value for him. They will find out soon enough if it was a mistake. It all hinges on how Kolb does and in large part what they get for the 2nd rounder.

FWIW I still dont think Wash is all that much better with him.

McNabb is still capable of being a winning QB. He doesn't turn the ball over that much during the regular season, he has the ability to execute a two-minute drive, can make the big throw, and is an above-average field QB.

Is he older, yes, are his legs a little weaker, sure, and has he ever really matched up to his hype....that is debatable.

I think he is being moved solely due to the will of the fans. As a football move, this makes no sense.

I think it makes FINE sense...

I'm pretty sure that both McNabb and Kolb had 1 year left on their contract. And you've also got Vick hanging around.

So, if you're the Eagles you can't really play around with all 3 of those contracts. You've got to get rid of at least one of the top two guys. Either you drop the mid-30's franchise Qb who is probably past his prime or you get rid of your up and coming 20-something franchise Qb.

Since teams KNOW that's what you're doing, the price goes down. They probably did as good as they could've given the circumstances.

You mean like how the NYJ cut CP to go to Miami ?

No, he said "you never TRADE within the division."

Not, "you never release a player only to watch him sign with a division rival, a scenario you have no actual control over."

Not, "you never release a player only to watch him sign with a division rival, a scenario you have no actual control over."

Exactly. Plus, trying to compare those 2 situations is laughable.

The Jets cut Pennington in favor of future hall-of-famer Brett Favre, and there are many Jets fans around who are still wishing that Pennington were the Miami starter so we could laugh at Dolphin fans.

The Eagles TRADED future hall-of-famer McNabb to a hated divisional rival in favor of Kevin Kolb, and now Eagles fans have to watch McNabb torch their team two times a year.

Not close!

Yes you do trade within the div if you feel it makes your team better.

The point is you build your own team and cant worry about what the other teams do.

The point is you build your own team and cant worry about what the other teams do.

You do worry about it when you have to face that team twice a year. McNabb now has that added motivation to beat the hell out of the Eagles next season. Its just a bad business decision. Most teams trade players, especially big-name players, out of the conference, let alone their division.

I think it makes FINE sense...

I'm pretty sure that both McNabb and Kolb had 1 year left on their contract. And you've also got Vick hanging around.

So, if you're the Eagles you can't really play around with all 3 of those contracts. You've got to get rid of at least one of the top two guys. Either you drop the mid-30's franchise Qb who is probably past his prime or you get rid of your up and coming 20-something franchise Qb.

Since teams KNOW that's what you're doing, the price goes down. They probably did as good as they could've given the circumstances.

that seems more of a business decision than a football one...saves money..since Kolb will cost less than McNabb...which would be..what gives the Eagles the best chance to build on last season....remove the franchise QB after 11 seasons and start the unknown QB....or try to squeeze 1 more season out of McNabb?

Even the Aaron Rodgers experiment started with a 6 win season. So you have to ask yourself as an organization....is this the best way to produce wins on the field?

I don't know if Kolb is going to be as good as Rodgers (I think he will be closer to Lienart).....so to me...it doesn't make much football sense...if McNabb were 37 or 38 it may make more sense, but realistically, McNabb has about 5 years left in him as a quality starter.

What are you talking about?

I simply pointed out that the comparison you made earlier was WRONG. Not even open to interpretation, it was just WRONG.

Why you are now trying to tell me how to build a team makes no sense. I never posting anything to the contrary.

Sheesh... I need the next mafia game to start, I can't take the exchanges with teh offseason drama club.

Well in that case the Eagles should have just kept him. You NEVER trade within the division.

Not saying that this trade should have been in the division, but IIRC Bledsoe was traded to Buffalo after the emergence of Cindy.

This was a smart move by Philly. McNabb is old and the Redskins won't be good for years. They have a crap offensive line and the Jets 07 season showed what that does to a team. McNabb will lose a year learning the offense and he doesn't have many years to give. If the Redskins draft well by the time they are ready to compete McNabb will be retired. And Shanahan's history is that he doesn't draft all that well. He makes some smart picks on the offensive side but overall he is not a good drafter.

Seriously, a slow 34yo QB with bad knees playing behind a crap offensive line. Lets see how long that lasts.

I am surprised that a team which is just a QB away from making a big run didn't offer more for McNabb.

McNabb will be 34 this year which is not old for a QB, but certainly not young.

Both McNabb & Kolb would be FAs after 2010 unless the 2010 FA rules apply (then Kolb would only be a RFA). That's why they made the move.

But like others here I don't agree with it because (1) McNabb is still young enough to have a couple of good years left in him and (2) Kolb was only a 2nd rounder so not much was invested in him in order to give him the keys to the franchise without any proof of success.

Most likely a win-win decision for both team for the obvious reasons...Redskins get a professional QB that can win and the Eagles get a high pick in strong draft for a quality player on the downside of an exceptional career. The Eagles look like a team in the re-tool mode.

My mouth is still agape reading that, McNabb is a franchise QB, all he's worth to them is a 2nd round opick and a whack ass 3rd or 4th next year? LAME!!!! That's like the Patriots trading Brady to the JETS.

i was thinking the same thing DLJ!! maybe we should offer it up? LOL!!

The problem with this trade isn't the fact they traded him (they should have, he only has one year left and it's clear PHI is looking towards the Kolb era, they might as well get compensation for McNabb), nor is it necessarily the fact they traded him to a team withing the division. The problem with this trade is they sent him to a team within the division that is basicaly a QB away from being a legit divisional contender! Seriously, WAS has a very good defense, a couple solid RB's who are going to play hard for Shanahan, a solid OL, and decent WR core. They are now true contenders for the NFC East crown and quite frankly with McNabb on thir roster they look like a better team on paper than the Eagles do IMHO. This is going to come back to bite them hard.

The problem with this trade isn't the fact they traded him (they should have, he only has one year left and it's clear PHI is looking towards the Kolb era, they might as well get compensation for McNabb), nor is it necessarily the fact they traded him to a team withing the division. The problem with this trade is they sent him to a team within the division that is basicaly a QB away from being a legit divisional contender! Seriously, WAS has a very good defense, a couple solid RB's who are going to play hard for Shanahan, a solid OL, and decent WR core. They are now true contenders for the NFC East crown and quite frankly with McNabb on thir roster they look like a better team on paper than the Eagles do IMHO. This is going to come back to bite them hard.

It may bite them in the short term, but long term, could benefit them as well if they make good on those picks and if Kolb works out...

It may bite them in the short term, but long term, could benefit them as well if they make good on those picks and if Kolb works out...

McNabb is 34. QB's can last up to and even beyond 40. This could hurt them for the next 6 years. I am so pulling for WAS to win their division.

Talking to my buddy (a diehard Eagle fan), he was delighted with dealing with McNabb even at the expense of the giving him to a division rivial. From the amount of heartache over the years he was tired of the Iggles ****ting the bed because he was notoriously a big game choke artist. His anology, Eagles O w/ Kolb >>> WAS O w/McNabb.

Washington still on the o-line is not strong, and McNabb will get hurt at one point. He'll bring the best out of their receivers but still will be in the basement of the NFC. Plus, McNabb probably won't sign an extension with WAS and could be gone after next year, advantage Philly.

That was thoughts from an Eagle fan, definitely different perspective..but I think the deal will bite them this year

Talking to my buddy (a diehard Eagle fan), he was delighted with dealing with McNabb even at the expense of the giving him to a division rivial. From the amount of heartache over the years he was tired of the Iggles ****ting the bed because he was notoriously a big game choke artist. His anology, Eagles O w/ Kolb >>> WAS O w/McNabb.

Washington still on the o-line is not strong, and McNabb will get hurt at one point. He'll bring the best out of their receivers but still will be in the basement of the NFC. Plus, McNabb probably won't sign an extension with WAS and could be gone after next year, advantage Philly.

That was thoughts from an Eagle fan, definitely different perspective..but I think the deal will bite them this year

kolb is gonna suck

Archived