Clemens > Brunell; O'Connell

TNJet

Cut Brunell, what a waste of space and money. Kellen is the ONLY backup we have from what i saw last night. Its amazing how when Schotty lets him run our actual offense how much better he can look, and the fact Santonio can catch. Props to Kellen, if he played longer he would've gotten us the win. Hope he plays more snaps saturday.

Agree. We have a nice young back-up in Clemens who could be around for along time. I would feel just as comfortable with him in as I would with Brunell. Which isn't saying much.

I guess keeping Brunell around for Sanchez and showing him the right way to do things is ok.

Agree. We have a nice young back-up in Clemens who could be around for along time. I would feel just as comfortable with him in as I would with Brunell. Which isn't saying much.

I guess keeping Brunell around for Sanchez and showing him the right way to do things is ok.

This statement is overrated. Mark learned last year what to and what not to do. And even Kellen knows what shouldnt be done. Brunell is the dumbest signing ever right behind Jason Taylor.

I agree I have never been much of a KC fan but he looked like a different QB last night. Cut Brunell and carry O'Connell as a #3.

I've been a big fan of KC for a while now..and saw a ton of promise in him. I think he's a servicable QB who I wouldn't be opposed seeing in limited action god forbid Sanchez went down. What you also need to keep in mind from yesterday though was the insane tunnel vision he had on Holmes. When you've got a guy whose worth 1000+ yards 8 tds running all over 2nd and 3rd squad players, I'd be looking at him too. His preformance was a testament to Holmes just being open versus KC really looking as good as he did. There was a ton of promise though we saw, such as his movement in the pocket and lack of happy feet which got him in trouble. The one biggie that nobody has commented on was his ability to play turnover free football. I hope he gets a shot against 1st teamers, but his play makes the Brunnel signing a total head scratcher

For proper context, Clemens was throwing to an all star WR against the jints' third string. I agree that he looked about as good as I've seen him, but that one performance isn't really enough to say he's a solid option. After playing a full half last night, I hope Sanchez gets very little work this weekend. Maybe Clemens can get some time in against some better competition.

O'Connell did look terrible, though. I don't think Clemens has to worry too much about a roster spot this week.

For proper context, Clemens was throwing to an all star WR against the jints' third string. I agree that he looked about as good as I've seen him, but that one performance isn't really enough to say he's a solid option. After playing a full half last night, I hope Sanchez gets very little work this weekend. Maybe Clemens can get some time in against some better competition.

O'Connell did look terrible, though. I don't think Clemens has to worry too much about a roster spot this week.

Agreed.

I thought he played pretty well last night but I need to see more of Clemens before I pass judgement.

I thought the Brunell signing was horrible and I hope Ryan and Schotty realize they do not need to waste a roster spot on Brunell. He's old, slow and has no experience with Schotty's playbook. Clemens is a suitable backup and if O'connell cannot grow as a 3rd QB, then the F.O can go get another QB project next season.

I thought the Brunell signing was horrible and I hope Ryan and Schotty realize they do not need to waste a roster spot on Brunell. He's old, slow and has no experience with Schotty's playbook. Clemens is a suitable backup and if O'connell cannot grow as a 3rd QB, then the F.O can go get another QB project next season.

You want to know who they are going to keep? Who held on FGs? Brunell did that in NO and the Jets P postion is too unsettled to keep the P doing it. I wish they'd use Smith for that.

Brunell could serve the purpose of helping Sanchez prepare even if he is cut. I wasn't in favor of the move, but I understand it. I'm pretty sure that one of the moves Rex made to help Sanchez down the stretch was moving Cavanaugh out of the booth and down to the field. With Brunell around, maybe they can let Cavanaugh go back up to the booth.

I think Brunell is here moreso to help Sanchez off the field than on it. Brunell is old, but he's been a star and a classic good guy for his entire career. Sanchez can do worse than look to Brunell for guidance.

....as long as Sanchez does not use Brunell's financial advisor.....

I've been a big fan of KC for a while now..and saw a ton of promise in him. I think he's a servicable QB who I wouldn't be opposed seeing in limited action god forbid Sanchez went down. What you also need to keep in mind from yesterday though was the insane tunnel vision he had on Holmes. When you've got a guy whose worth 1000+ yards 8 tds running all over 2nd and 3rd squad players, I'd be looking at him too. His preformance was a testament to Holmes just being open versus KC really looking as good as he did. There was a ton of promise though we saw, such as his movement in the pocket and lack of happy feet which got him in trouble. The one biggie that nobody has commented on was his ability to play turnover free football. I hope he gets a shot against 1st teamers, but his play makes the Brunnel signing a total head scratcher

I agree with you. I was impressed by his maturation from a year ago. he showed that he has been studying too. I thought he looked supremely confident as opposed to other times he has played.

I would cut ainge, O'Connell and brunell and use the money saved and roster spots to keep 2 FB's and an extra CB and an extra lineman

brad smith would be my emergency QB

we all know what happens if you lose your 2 top QB's to injury, #3 aint saving your season

I would cut ainge, O'Connell and brunell and use the money saved and roster spots to keep 2 FB's and an extra CB and an extra lineman

we all know what happens if you lose your 2 top QB's to injury, #3 aint saving your season

Ainge is in rehab anyway Larz-he's not in the mix-he'll be suspended again and it's doubtful he'll ever take another snap as a Jet-maybe as a pro-too bad he's a likeable kid on Twitter

Brad Smith is better than Brunell and O'Connell so I don't know why the Jets aren't doing this.

I think the Brunell signing is part of the FO's obsession with Sanchez. He's just one guy on the team and now the whole universe has to revolve around him.

i was just about to say the same thing. i do think oconnell should go though. we don't need 4 damn qb's. especially since we are keeping 3 fb's :)

Agreed.

However, I think we are pretty deep on olines. Between Slauson, Hunter, Turner and Vlad, we have nice depth and a serviceable starter amongst the group.

I think Brunell is here moreso to help Sanchez off the field than on it. Brunell is old, but he's been a star and a classic good guy for his entire career. Sanchez can do worse than look to Brunell for guidance.

MB: "Hey, Mark, I've got this can't-MISS investment opportunity!"

MS: "Yea?"

MB: "MELTABLE ice."

MS: "WOAH."

Kellen Clemens blows. He looked good throwing to a Super Bowl MVP while playing against the Giants B and C team. Oh, and he didn't even lead a touchdown drive.

Jacksonville in the late 90's is a far away time and land, but Mark Brunell is still better than Kellen Clemens.

Yeah Brunell's screams keeper...he's bankrupt...he was available on the market for a year...at one point people knew his name as a good QB...what's not to like? Meanwhile that POS Kellen Clemens still couldn't win anything in '07 for us....and he hasn't done anything with the 30 passes he's made since then...ugh.

Too bad Erik Ainge remains the only guy in the NFL who keeps getting caught for PEDs. I actually like his potential as a backup.

Yeah Brunell's screams keeper...he's bankrupt...he was available on the market for a year...at one point people knew his name as a good QB...what's not to like? Meanwhile that POS Kellen Clemens still couldn't win anything in '07 for us....ugh.

You don't have to be a "keeper" to be better than Kellen Clemens.

You don't even have to "not suck". You just have to suck slightly less.

I somehow think that Mark Brunell can teach Sanchez a few more things than Kellen can, as well.

Cut Brunell, what a waste of space and money. Kellen is the ONLY backup we have from what i saw last night. Its amazing how when Schotty lets him run our actual offense how much better he can look, and the fact Santonio can catch. Props to Kellen, if he played longer he would've gotten us the win. Hope he plays more snaps saturday.

+1

I cant front, Clemens and Holmes was connecting out there. There was a down where Clemens was running out of the pocket and threw a lazer to Holmes on a cross pattern over the middle. Pretty sweet.

It's going to take a lot for the Jets to decide to cut Brunell. He will have to continue to play brutally, and Kellen will really have to show something more than the fact that he can play catch with an all pro against the jayvee. Sanchez is a guy who strikes me as someone who'll always try to say the right things, and he's saying a lot of really good things about having Brunell around. Whether that's lip service or the truth, I don't know. But I imagine that the coaches will seek his input on the subject - especially if Kellen is obviously outplaying Brunell in camp/preseason. If Sanchez is in genuine in that he's learning a lot from Brunell, they'll definitely hold onto him.

I think Kellen is safe here, too. He might even be elevated to #2 based on his play. That would be good for him, and hopefully something the team never has to find out about. Brunell can mentor with a clipboard.

This week's game could be O'Connell's last chance to show that he's not a total washout. Especially if Clemens and Brunell continue to fight for the #2 job.

Next year, the Jets should think about taking a QB in the middle rounds of the draft. Clemens and Brunell could easily both be gone after this season.

Archived