Changing the old school negative Jets fan mentality..

CobraVerde

Bob's thread got me thinking. Many of you may be a little older and claim to be a little wiser but personally I just think youre chicken. You fear disappointment so you would rather not be excited for this team. Instead you condemn all positivity so that if and when disappointment does occur you feel better about yourself cause you feel that "you were right" and you "knew it all along."

First off, Get over yourself. I dont care if you've been a fan since Namath or you were a fan during the dark 80s & 90s. That doesnt give you the right to cast a cloud over the entire team and fan base.

Second, Go F yourself and take that $h*t somewhere else. JetNation is a place for positive outlook and constructive turn around and criticism. If you're gonna bitch have some credible reasoning backed up by evidence. This is a team game, no one man is truly responsible for a loss i dont care what you say. If a star player goes down the surrounding cast can and will step up to carry the load. Thats how it truly is. If you want to cry and moan about this team take it to the Gang Green Authority or that other sh**ty forum that is filled with haters and non believers.

Last, YOU CAN CHANGE. My father was a pessimistic Jets fan now converted to a positive believer. The more you harbor negativity and cast it the more negativity is created. It simple math. E=MC2. Even if this team sucks a positive outlook will always triumph. Youll wake up in the morning less stressed and will prolly live longer. Im a firm believer that a large mass of people thinking and hoping for the best does more good for a team that a mass condemning them.

All im saying really is "if you build it they will come" Create a positive mentality. Cast away your fears. FEAR IS THE DARKSIDE. FEAR LEADS TO ANGER ANGER LEADS TO HATE HATE LEADS TO SUFFERING.

Bob's thread got me thinking. Many of you may be a little older and claim to be a little wiser but personally I just think youre chicken. You fear disappointment so you would rather not be excited for this team. Instead you condemn all positivity so that if and when disappointment does occur you feel better about yourself cause you feel that "you were right" and you "knew it all along."

First off, Get over yourself. I dont care if you've been a fan since Namath or you were a fan during the dark 80s & 90s. That doesnt give you the right to cast a cloud over the entire team and fan base.

Second, Go F yourself and take that $h*t somewhere else. JetNation is a place for positive outlook and constructive turn around and criticism. If you're gonna bitch have some credible reasoning backed up by evidence. This is a team game, no one man is truly responsible for a loss i dont care what you say. If a star player goes down the surrounding cast can and will step up to carry the load. Thats how it truly is. If you want to cry and moan about this team take it to the Gang Green Authority or that other sh**ty forum that is filled with haters and non believers.

Last, YOU CAN CHANGE. My father was a pessimistic Jets fan now converted to a positive believer. The more you harbor negativity and cast it the more negativity is created. It simple math. E=MC2. Even if this team sucks a positive outlook will always triumph. Youll wake up in the morning less stressed and will prolly live longer. Im a firm believer that a large mass of people thinking and hoping for the best does more good for a team that a mass condemning them.

All im saying really is "if you build it they will come" Create a positive mentality. Cast away your fears. FEAR IS THE DARKSIDE. FEAR LEADS TO ANGER ANGER LEADS TO HATE HATE LEADS TO SUFFERING.

Irregardless of Jets history, if you can't see the high liklihood of implosion by an over hyped team, I don't know what to tell you. Same thing with Miami in NBA, except in our case, we have a bottom 10 starter at the overwhelmingly most important position on the field

I'll wait to buy in till they show me on the field.. Like they did in 2008 before losing 4 of 5 to end the season.

Irregardless of Jets history, if you can't see the high liklihood of implosion by an over hyped team, I don't know what to tell you. Same thing with Miami in NBA, except in our case, we have a bottom 10 starter at the overwhelmingly most important position on the field

I'll wait to buy in till they show me on the field.. Like they did in 2008 before losing 4 of 5 to end the season.

Agreed. As long as Sanchez is a really terrible QB that can't beat teams with his arm, there is no reason to believe we will ever win it all.

And please people, stop bringing up the 00 Ravens.

The Jets have a slick Marketing depratment......slick enough to sell the team as Super Bowl favorites to ramp up PSL sales......You know who the lead telemarketer was??? REX RYAN!! Now its time to see if he is as good a leader of men as he is a telemarketer!

As of this sunday, Rex takes off his "marketing hat" and puts on his "coaching hat".....as i used to say about Herm Edwards....."He is the greatest coach in the world from monday thru saturday but come sunday.............."

LOL! I remember when YoungJetsFan started a similar thread at the start of the Herm Edwards Era. Then he had a nervous breakdown after the Baltimore/Dick Curl/Quincy Carter debacle.

My secret Jets fetish: watching every ounce of optimism sucked out of sub-30 year old Jets fans to the point that they rapidly, inevitably become old, bitter Jets fans. The post-collapse mea culpas are to die for.

I fight the SOJ demons from time to time

during the run last year I came to a simple conclusion that I wasn't going to wait until the jets won a superbowl to believe, because then I would miss out on the best part, the ride

and if anyone ever gives me crap about believing in my team they can kiss my red hairy a$$ !

LOL! I remember when YoungJetsFan started a similar thread at the start of the Herm Edwards Era. Then he had a nervous breakdown after the Baltimore/Dick Curl/Quincy Carter debacle.

My secret Jets fetish: watching every ounce of optimism sucked out of sub-30 year old Jers fans to the point that they become old, bitter Jets fans. The post-collapse mea culpas are to die for.

I'm sub-30. It's not that I'm not hopeful or subscribe to SOJ mentality... it's just the facts. Sanchez, no matter how good this defense is, will be the key to how far we go this year. And there is nothing reassuring about his play.

If you do great in the pre-season, no reason to make a big deal. If you're terrible, then there's reason for concern. People can fool themselves all they want, but until Sanchez proves something he's a 12TD 20INT kind of guy in my book, and without a few breaks, that's not enough to contend.

My secret Jets fetish: watching every ounce of optimism sucked out of sub-30 year old Jers fans to the point that they become old, bitter Jets fans. The post-collapse mea culpas are to die for.

at least Tom Shane knows his history! From Tuna to Groh (not so much) to Herm to Mangenius.....Jets fans are good at annointing saviors for the franchise!

I'm sub-30. It's not that I'm not hopeful or subscribe to SOJ mentality... it's just the facts. Sanchez, no matter how good this defense is, will be the key to how far we go this year. And there is nothing reassuring about his play.

If you do great in the pre-season, no reason to make a big deal. If you're terrible, then there's reason for concern. People can fool themselves all they want, but until Sanchez proves something he's a 12TD 20INT kind of guy in my book, and without a few breaks, that's not enough to contend.

Oop. Didn't mean to paint all sub-30 fans with the broad brush. I meant to say that there's always been a segment of younger Jets fans who haven't necessarily been through the wash who rage at the older set of Jets fans who are more, shall we say, skeptical. It's like an eternal struggle situation. Always great conversation fodder.

I'm a post-30 Jet fan (close to 40, actually).

I'm always optimistic simply because life sucks and I'm not going to get all bent out of shape over a stupid game. I'd rather be optimistic and proven wrong than pessimistic and proven right.

That said, this season is all about whether Sanchez' balls descend and stay descended. He's the key to everything. If he's consistently competent (something he wasn't last year) the Jets should be in the 12+ win category.

Oop. Didn't mean to paint all sub-30 fans with the broad brush. I meant to say that there's always been a segment of younger Jets fans who haven't necessarily been through the wash who rage at the older set of Jets fans who are more, shall we say, skeptical. It's like an eternal struggle situation. Always great conversation fodder.

The only time I get pissed is if someone who says "Oh we'll lose the game because that's what the Jets do, SOJ" that I get annoyed with. If you're gonna think like that, why watch? Otherwise, I try to be realistic. Last year was by far the most enjoyable year I have had as a Jet fan ever. Mainly because I didn't expect the playoffs, 8-8 was my best guess and that was pushing. We got into the playoffs and got 2 nice wins and played Indy well for the first half. It was awesome not to expect a damn thing and it happening.

But I agree, sometimes getting your heart broken makes you a little more tentative to dive with both feet in again, you tend to look at things a little more cautiously.

Sad thing is with all our "upgrades" during the off-season I don't really believe we are much different then last years team. Unless our D starts to score points we still haven't fixed with what's wrong with our offense, our QB.

I'm a post-30 Jet fan (close to 40, actually).

I'm always optimistic simply because life sucks and I'm not going to get all bent out of shape over a stupid game. I'd rather be optimistic and proven wrong than pessimistic and proven right.

That said, this season is all about whether Sanchez' balls descend and stay descended. He's the key to everything. If he's consistently competent (something he wasn't last year) the Jets should be in the 12+ win category.

Repped. You and I are in the same boat. I just feel that what he showed in pre-season is sadly pointing to more of the same.

I have no problem with skepticism as long as its based on something. Questioning whether Sanchez will step up is obviously the biggest key to the season and is a legit question mark on whether the Jets are contenders or are overhyped pretenders.

What I can't stand is when people predict failure and throw out the "same old Jets" chant with almost no analysis whatsoever other than "well they're the Jets, they'll blow it". Get enough of that crap from opposing fans (and sorry, the Jets hate did not just begin this year).

Optimism is just another form of denial that were all going for a long dirt nap in the end.

I really thought Bruce Coslet was going to be the savior. True story.

"I can't believe we missed out on Favre, well, we got this Browning Nagle guy that sounds pretty good, his coach, Schnellenberger, runs a pro style offense and had Jim kelly and Bernie Kosar over at Miami... plus rocket for an arm, I'm kind of happy we got him instead of favre"

that was me many years ago

The only time I get pissed is if someone who says "Oh we'll lose the game because that's what the Jets do, SOJ" that I get annoyed with. If you're gonna think like that, why watch? Otherwise, I try to be realistic. Last year was by far the most enjoyable year I have had as a Jet fan ever. Mainly because I didn't expect the playoffs, 8-8 was my best guess and that was pushing. We got into the playoffs and got 2 nice wins and played Indy well for the first half. It was awesome not to expect a damn thing and it happening.

But I agree, sometimes getting your heart broken makes you a little more tentative to dive with both feet in again, you tend to look at things a little more cautiously.

Sad thing is with all our "upgrades" during the off-season I don't really believe we are much different then last years team. Unless our D starts to score points we still haven't fixed with what's wrong with our offense, our QB.

come on now.you cant just fix the qb.you know the only fixing this kid needs is time and experience.sanchez had to of been the greenest qb ever.he just needs to limit his mistakes.thats all.he can throw for 50% completion rate and 10 td's all year for all i care.just dont fumble and dont throw the multiple pick games.if he can limit his mistakes,the jets will win alot of games.the other team cant win if they cant score and probably dont have the running game to fall back on like the jets do.dont worry.sanchez will most definetely be better this year.how much better?only time will tell

come on now.you cant just fix the qb.you know the only fixing this kid needs is time and experience.sanchez had to of been the greenest qb ever.he just needs to limit his mistakes.thats all.he can throw for 50% completion rate and 10 td's all year for all i care.just dont fumble and dont throw the multiple pick games.if he can limit his mistakes,the jets will win alot of games.the other team cant win if they cant score and probably dont have the running game to fall back on like the jets do.dont worry.sanchez will most definetely be better this year.how much better?only time will tell

Oh I fully agree. If we had this team 3 years from now I think it's SB contender.

The only thing I'm going to say is you are hoping for Sanchez to throw less picks and during pre-season he didn't really show me anything that has got me thinking otherwise.

YOU ARE THE GREATEST JETS FAN IN HISTORY.

Enjoy the view of the impending disaster from atop Mt. Optomism.

Every year we get this thread - the calling out of those who refuse to drink the preseason Kool-Aid with the rest and at the end of every year, we're right.

I'll believe it when the Jets finally play in a SB, take a lead, and the clock hits 0:00. Until then, you guys can sip the Kool-Aid all you want.

Every year we get this thread - the calling out of those who refuse to drink the preseason Kool-Aid with the rest and at the end of every year, we're right.

I'll believe it when the Jets finally play in a SB, take a lead, and the clock hits 0:00. Until then, you guys can sip the Kool-Aid all you want.

Years Jets Skeptics who propose caution have been correct: 41

Years Jets Optimists who scream at Jets Skeptics have been correct: 0

No matter how many times I say screw this team, I know were gonna lose, whats the point, SOJ BS, im not buying this team crap. Once the game starts, actually game day, and the 60 minutes while there is still a realistic hope they can come out victorious I get caught up, just cant help myself so I will always believe during that time frame of every gameday, whether I feel that way before or after doesn't matter once its time to play football thats my stance, and as of now I can't control it.

And just how much satisfaction do you get out of being right? At least the people who truly believe we're going to win a Super Bowl have some level of happiness. It's bad enough what you go through being a police officer in Detroit, do you have to be a Scrooge about some meaningless football games too? Why not step on some puppies and make some kids cry while you're at it? Not allowing yourself any enjoyment out of what is supposed to be ENTERTAINMENT is just sad.

And just how much satisfaction do you get out of being right? At least the people who truly believe we're going to win a Super Bowl have some level of happiness. It's bad enough what you go through being a police officer in Detroit, do you have to be a Scrooge about some meaningless football games too? Why not step on some puppies and make some kids cry while you're at it? Not allowing yourself any enjoyment out of what is supposed to be ENTERTAINMENT is just sad.

He's got it rough, what with his impossibly small penis. So walk a mile in a man's shoes before you assume he can jerk off adequately. Then maybe you can critique his disposition. You insensitive douche.

Hey, there are worse things than being a Jets fan. You could be a Lions fan! LOL.

I just did some research. In the 29 years I've followed the Jets, I was shocked to learn that there were 14 winning seasons. That's nearly 50%! To top that, there were 19 playoff games and 3 AFC championship appearances. If only I could erase the 1996 Kotite 1-15 year from my memory, that would help a lot.

I'd love nothing more than to never see 'SOJ' mentioned ever again.

I believe that we have all the pieces we need in place to repeat and maybe even top the success we had last year. I don't think Sanchez will have a 'sophomore slump'. He will be improved.

Let's destroy Baltimore, the Pats and Miami !!!

Ha you can really tell who gets it and who doesnt. The purpose of this thread wasnt to throw out blind optimism like some twerp reading too much Electric Kool Aid Acid test. I know Sanchez still needs a lot of work as does the offense. I know that Revis may come out rusty and get burned. We all know the facts. What im saying is that there are people who are so blinded by negativity that they dont see anything else. They stand there with their arms crossed and pissed off facing bitching about every play and condemning every moment. No sh*t Sherlock if we dont make the SB its a disappointment, we were in the AFC championship last year. But because we made it that far last year i would hope that there would be more people looking forward to this year than fearing the fact so many have put us on a high pedestal. You do realize that if we win the Super Bowl the pressure just gets more intense. Id hate to think what you people would do then...And Yes G.O.B. I will enjoy my view from Mt. Optimism. While i stand tall with a smile, you and T0m be wallowing in the Valley of $hit & sorrow with an angry brow. :D

Years Jets Skeptics who propose caution have been correct: 41

Years Jets Optimists who scream at Jets Skeptics have been correct: 0

Your statistical basis isn’t large enough to come to any valid conclusion. The Jets could very easily win the next 41 Super Bowls consecutively. In that scenario the Optimists will have been just as correct as the skeptics. Additionally a huge percentage of skeptics at the end of this run will be dead. Potentially SOJ could be wiped out in one generation.

We could well be on the precipice of unprecedented winning? SOJ buried one winning season after another until it is completely snuffed out of our collective psychic memory. By the middle of this century we could have a fan base that is so smug and self absorbed that it makes mid 60's Celtic fans, turn of the century Yankee Fans and even early 21st century Pats fans seem almost well adjusted.

And just how much satisfaction do you get out of being right? At least the people who truly believe we're going to win a Super Bowl have some level of happiness.

What good is always having happiness June through August each year?

Wouldn't you prefer that happiness to occur September through February?

In GOB's diplomatic manner, he is 100% correct.

Archived