Kerry Rhodes is a playmaker

Maxman

Yep, would have really helped to have him...but like BJ said, I dont think he wanted to be here.

I was all for getting rid of him. Wrong move. If he stays this defense is eltie. Sad and simple at the same time. We don;t need him to tackle, we need him to cover short routes and tight ends. All he does is make plays. This team has no BALLHAWK.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This defense was 10x better with Kerry Rhodes. Just sayin.

No kidding,. I was all for dumping him after his ole' routine and him being a self centered malcontent. i could not have been more wrong. Damn shame, we have no one to play center field and make plays. Rhodes could have been the key to our post season run. not even kidding, I believe that.

Wah, wah, wah. I liked Rhodes more than most on this board and I don't miss him. He was NOT jumping routes and solving all of our problems vs. TEs and backs. Gates had a pretty big day and Clark had a TD last postseason. Gonzalez had a TD. This problem has been around. It's nothing new and Rhodes wasn't the answer. Atogwe got a pretty big deal and he has some injury concerns. He missed time this year with a thigh problem and "cramps". Sound familiar?

Wah, wah, wah. I liked Rhodes more than most on this board and I don't miss him. He was NOT jumping routes and solving all of our problems vs. TEs and backs. Gates had a pretty big day and Clark had a TD last postseason. Gonzalez had a TD. This problem has been around. It's nothing new and Rhodes wasn't the answer. Atogwe got a pretty big deal and he has some injury concerns. He missed time this year with a thigh problem and "cramps". Sound familiar?

At the end of his tenure here I couldn't stand him and referred to him as "Kerry the fairy", but I do miss him. I agree he wasn;t jumping routes but it was his first year in the system last year and I would have to think if he decided to buy in he would have had a better understanding this year. he made the choice to not buy in and that's why he isn;t here. JMO

Not saying Rhodes was 100% the answer but we have not a single safety who has the ball skills Rhodes has with the ball in the air. He could cover better than two of our safeties put together. I agree he didn;t give his all last year and I hated for that but he was way better than anything we have now and it wasn;t even close.

I blame Revis. LOL If he wasn;t going to hold out we may have not picked WIlson and got the safety we terribly need. but thats just silly conjecture.

Rhodes is a pretty good player, nothing more. Given his sh*tty attitude and pansy a$$ play, there was certainly enough reason to get rid of him. While he may have been pretty good, he's not one of those players who's good enough to have to deal with that kind of bullsh*t. The issue wasn't getting rid of Rhodes, it was the poor attempts at replacement. Brodney Pool is ok, but he's certainly nothing special, and Eric Smith doesn't even belong on an NFL team. There are plenty of other guys in the NFL who can do exactly what Rhodes did for the 2009 Jets, it's just that none of those guys are currently on the Jets. I'm sure it'll be a position to address this offseason and I doubt it will be any sort of long-term issue. Way too often fans by into this ridiculous theory that just because someone's replacement isn't all that good, it suddenly makes the original player all that better. Meanwhile, all it really means is that the new guy needs to be replaced too.

How about instead of arguing between a safety that can cover but can't hit and safeties that can hit but can't cover, we invest in a better safety.

Arguing between flawed safeties doesn't really accomplish anything.

+1

Rhodes had a good season on an awful team. The last time he had a good season on a good team was 2006. He had his chance in 2008 & 09 and blew it.

He has talent, but he's more Matt Leinhart than Ed Reed.

If he stays this defense is eltie.

The defense is elite. It's just not as good as last year's and there really wasn't anything that we could have done differently that would have changed that, least of all keeping Kerry Rhodes.

The defense is elite. It's just not as good as last year's and there really wasn't anything that we could have done differently that would have changed that, least of all keeping Kerry Rhodes.

Like I said, I wanted him gone as much as anyone. Just looking back it appears that we where better in certain areas with him in it. We have no one that plays over the top in coverage and Kerry did that pretty well. I don;t see this defense as elite, I see it as very good with a propensity to take games off. Last year it was scary good.

Rhodes was so awesome last year and so integral to our defense that Rex benches him. Rhodes is a total puss that freelances and makes a couple of picks. The only thing Rhodes would be doing this year is getting himself exposed the same way Leonhard and Pool have been exposed by our lack of a pass rush. The only difference is that Pool isn't a total pariah in the locker room.

Last year it was scary good.

Last year we had the best passing DVOA and were eighth against the run. This year we're seventh against the pass and second in rushing. The propensity to take games off is nothing new; we had the biggest variance in the league both years. As unsustainable performances go, the defense has held up as well as could reasonably have been expected. That it hasn't performed as was actually expected is more an indictment of the expectations than of the defense.

Last year we had the best passing DVOA and were eighth against the run. This year we're seventh against the pass and second in rushing. The propensity to take games off is nothing new; we had the biggest variance in the league both years. As unsustainable performances go, the defense has held up as well as could reasonably have been expected. That it hasn't performed as was actually expected is more an indictment of the expectations than of the defense.

Maybe I'm just not looking at it practically because it was so amazing last year we seemed to taking away teams passing games. The "Revis Island" created this amazing empowerment that I've never really felt as of late as a Jet fan. Nobody could put yards up on him and the defense seemed truly elite.

Yet, so maybe this flip flop in stats from shut down pass defense and great run defense to shutdown run defense and great pass defense is related to Kerry leaving. Cause we all know Hollywood didn't want to do shiit in run defense. Run defense probably better this year because he's gone.

Good point on expectations verses performance.

Kerry Rhodes 2010-2011

90 tackles 1sack 4 ints 2TDs 12 PDs

Pretty solid season. **** everybody who said eric smith/brodney pool is better than him.

First off - it was 78 tackles. I went back and glanced through the Prince of Punishment's game play by plays for his first 4 or 5 games ... better than 75% of his "pull down the opponent on top of me" or "shoulder roll" tackles were after the opposing runner had already achieved a 1st down. Another large portion of his "tackles" had the opposing player listed as "running or being pushed out of bounds" but he still gets credit for a tackle. No surprise at all that he had the most opportunities - who wouldn't run at his sissy a$$ if they had the chance to? Well trust me - they did. Surprised you didn't list his team leading 4 fumble recoveries - maybe because that's even hilarious to you. If there is any MF'r in the NFL that's going to be in position to pick up a fumble, it's Kerry Vulva Rhodes. The same guy who's in every game film showing up just a couple steps too late to be involved in the play. Maybe they should create a position of "fumble recoverer" for him. He'd be All-Pro - just hover outside of a play and see if a ball comes loose and jump on it or if it gets far enough away from the pile - pick it up and run with it. Too bad they don't list blown tackles or complete whiff's, I'm sure that would be another team leading stat for him and some of his better work is on links in this thread. I saw film of 2 of his 4 picks and both were thrown right into his arms - ain't he a game changer!

Brodney Pool was disappointing this season thus far. I know he played hurt for a bit and hopefully he can contribute in the play-offs. We know why the guy he replaced never got hurt and I'm still elated he's the F outta here.

Kerry Rhodes is probably the slowest safety in the NFL. He sucks!

The Cardinals tried to be Jets west with our sloppy seconds and failed horribly in the suckiest division in the NFL.

All i gotta say about the Cards is:

doing-it-wrong.jpg

Archived