Namath Squads over and Takes dump on Jets

s dubb

Broadway Joe takes aim at Jets

September, 15, 2010

Sep 15

1:25

PM ET

By Rich Cimini

Give a legendary quarterback a Twitter account, make him upset with a poor performance by his old team, and watch out.

Joe Namath, usually the most optimistic of all Jets followers, unloaded on his beloved team during and after Monday night's ugly 10-9 loss to the Baltimore Ravens. Here is a sampling of some Tweets as the game unfolded:

(9:34 p.m.) "That's disgusting. You need 10 yards for a first down and you complete a 9-yard out." (A reference to Dustin Keller stepping out of bounds before the marker on the Jets' final drive)

(9:23 p.m.) "For the Jets to win this game we're going to need a miracle!"

(8:58 p.m.) "The Jets are playing with a conservative play calling style, which falls on the shoulders of the coaches- the poor execution doesn't."

(8:49 p.m.) "The Jets abnormal amount of penalties in this game can be attributed to a disappointing lack of discipline."

Namath also ripped the Jets in Wednesday's editions of the New York Post. Among his criticism:

• "Sanchez to me is not the problem. This is not all on him. I know that he's doing everything that he's told to do -- or at least trying to do everything that he's told to do."

• "I'd like to see him open up (the offense), but what are you going to open up with?"

• On Braylon Edwards: "Can't catch the ball ... Or rarely does. He has as many drops as he does catches."

• On the possibility of engaging in a shootout Sunday with the New England Patriots: "A shootout? You gotta have something to be shooting. We haven't been shooting. We can't get in a shootout with anybody."

I respect Namath but he's a tool.

One minute he's glorifying the Jets and Rex Ryan. Next turn he's flaming. Way to go Joe.

In today's Post, Namath complains about calling a 9 yard pass on 3rd and 10. And that STUPIDITY has been Schottenheimers' MO since he got here.

As a Pop Warner coach could tell you; let the ball do the work, and get it past the stick.

Schottenheimer refuses to call plays on 3rd downs that have receivers past the stick, and he NEVER calls a play with receivers actaully in the end zone. The field shortens up inside the 20s, but under Marty's Boy, it shortens up even more. And if Ryan doesn't grasp this, then we have a major problem. He's the head coach, not just coach of the defense. In many ways that failure to grasp the role of e HC was what damned his father.

Namath may now be a crazy coot, but he knows something about running an offense. And hes' right abut Sanchez as well. Who ever the QB is doesn't matter if the gameplan is scared and pussified.

I respect Namath but he's a tool.

One minute he's glorifying the Jets and Rex Ryan. Next turn he's flaming. Way to go Joe.

Youre seriously ripping him for basically saying what every Jets fan is thinking?? Everything he said is spot on. Seems like youre more the tool to me...no offense =)

In today's Post, Namath complains about calling a 9 yard pass on 3rd and 10. And that STUPIDITY has been Schottenheimers' MO since he got here.

As a Pop Warner coach could tell you; let the ball do the work, and get it past the stick.

Schottenheimer refuses to call plays on 3rd downs that have receivers past the stick, and he NEVER calls a play with receivers actaully in the end zone. The field shortens up inside the 20s, but under Marty's Boy, it shortens up even more. And if Ryan doesn't grasp this, then we have a major problem. He's the head coach, not just coach of the defense. In many ways that failure to grasp the role of e HC was what damned his father.

Namath may now be a crazy coot, but he knows something about running an offense. And hes' right abut Sanchez as well. Who ever the QB is doesn't matter if the gameplan is scared and pussified.

I have this same thought...For Rex to surpass his Dad he needs to get a grip on the offense...and pretty damm quick. For all his bravado Buddy never figured that out and only created an anymosity on his teams between the offense and defense.

Thought Joe was spot on...especially the point on Sanchez...fact is the kid has regressed since the start of last year as far as looking downfield...that's coached. Cannot have him so fixated on the checkdown the he doesn't look to exploit weaknesses or throw deeper routes.

Hey for how much Woody and the organization are on Namath's balls, maybe him saying something will encourage some change. Rex def needs to step up and follow the offense a lil more, he should already know this from last season. One way or another this excuse for an offense needs to change. Way too many talented players to not put up even decent numbers. This O should have no less than 300 yards a game, with 100 run and 200 pass minimums. Barely over 150 yards for a game is ridiculous even if it is against the Ravens D.

Youre seriously ripping him for basically saying what every Jets fan is thinking?? Everything he said is spot on. Seems like youre more the tool to me...no offense =)

I never said he was wrong. I just said he's is a windbag, which he's proven to be.

tht would be pretty funny if true..

either we YAC for the first down or we're punting. i'm sorry, but I feel really strongly about this. No routes beyond the first down marker. Period

The best part about this is that Joe is actually on Woody Johnson's payroll now, too. He could easily have let himself become a Greg Buttle-type Woody Johnson cocksucker and made a nice living at it, but instead he chooses to speak his mind. I'm sure that Woody will silence him soon enough, but, in the meantime, good for Joe for letting the team have it.

BTW, he sounds really enthusiastic about Mark Sanchez, doesn't he? Not just here, but in other articles. :blink:

Braylon Edwards replies to Namath comments

Braylon Edwards offered a relatively restrained response Wednesday when asked to react to Joe Namath's stinging criticism. Quoted in the New York Post, Namath unloaded on Edwards, saying, "Can't catch the ball ... Or rarely does. He has as many drops as he does catches.

This is how Edwards replied:

"That's his mouth, his words. I really don't think Mr. Namath knows me. I'm sure he's never followed me. He's a Jet guy and I was in Cleveland for five years, and I had one bad season. I'm not going to get into a back-and-forth with Mr. Namath. Too much respect. All I can say is, I don't think he really knows me. Tell him next time he's here, stop by my locker and he can tell me that."

Braylon Edwards replies to Namath comments

Do me a favor, give it up already. You failed miserably from the opening thread with bashing Joe. In this case, Joe is spot on with his negativity on this Jets team. I'm glad he spoke up...someone has to.

Hey Braylon you stupid sh*t, nice play running into the kicker.

namath is a jets legend but he's also a jets fan like the rest of us... i doubt his tweets were that different from thousands of other disappointed Jets fans.

Except that Joe is also someone who knows a hell of a lot more about offensive football than most fans.

Archived