LaDainian Tomlinson

Ghost

Is he out there to prove people wrong or what? This guy looks AMAZING! I know it's only two games but he's averaging 6.3 YPC. That's quite good for a 'washed up' back. I also love his emotion after he gets a big gain.

#21 <3

Haven't seen him play this all out in a few years, he absolutely looks like he's on a mission. He's roughly on pace for 1100+ yards and not getting the physical pounding that he did during his prime. And since we're going to be riding the hot hand, I can see him and greene getting 1000+ each, while still staying fresh.

And the funny thing is, his big contributions are runs from scrimmage, not passes behind the line, which we supposedly got him for.

Think there's any chance he's the starter by midseason?

Let's hope it doesn't have to come to that. Remember, LT was supposed to come in and help Shonn, as the starter, stay fresh for a deep playoff run.

Truly great players always play with a chip on their shoulder as him battling a real or imaginitive slight, and LT is one of the all-time greats.

I don't know if LT's body will hold up, but he needed this type of determination to become the great player he is. He's at the end of his career and his skills have diminished, but the fortitude of an all-time great player never fades.

Let's hope it doesn't have to come to that. Remember, LT was supposed to come in and help Shonn, as the starter, stay fresh for a deep playoff run.

I really think the Jets will maintain being a 2 headed monster this year with LT & Greene. Neither is getting 30 carries a game. Heck, I would be shocked if either gets more than 20.

Jet fans have their own special brand of insanity.

The only way LT will be able to continue to produce at a level close to this for the entire year is if his role is somewhat limited. Making him the starter? 30 carries? No.

Best case is the Jets keep his carries down around 10 per game (about where it is now), and let Shonn do the dirty work - except when the dirty work requires jumping over the pile.

I really think the Jets will maintain being a 2 headed monster this year with LT & Greene. Neither is getting 30 carries a game. Heck, I would be shocked if either gets more than 20.

I'm not saying I don't want to see LT get some more carries, but if he becomes the starter than that means Shonn has failed as our starter.

I'm not saying I don't want to see LT get some more carries, but if he becomes the starter than that means Shonn has failed as our starter.

I think they will stick to their original plan with Shonn as the starter. But when it became obvious LT has a lot more left than maybe even the Jets brass thought, the plan became "whoever has the hot hand will get more carries". Whoever starts is irrelevant. As long as they don't overuse either one and they both produce, we are in great shape. Shonn will have his big days. This is going to be fun to watch.

LT has contributed A LOT thus far. I remember at a certain drive in the 4th QTR Schotty called a little screen to LT and we ended up getting a 1st down. We did NOT have that last year.

We do gotta keep LT fresh, though. Save him for the playoffs. I do want to see him score and do his little move at the end.

Jet fans have their own special brand of insanity.

The only way LT will be able to continue to produce at a level close to this for the entire year is if his role is somewhat limited. Making him the starter? 30 carries? No.

Best case is the Jets keep his carries down around 10 per game (about where it is now), and let Shonn do the dirty work - except when the dirty work requires jumping over the pile.

Exactly. LT's not getting more than 15 carries a game. Greene will continue to get equal or more carries.

LT has enough in the tank for a few more years. They generally tried not to run him into the ground in San Diego. The past 2 years especially they didn't really seem to want to use him, and he had injury problems anyway.

I prefer having 2 capable backs, I just think LT is better and will produce more. Come playoff time, he will probably get the rock 30 times in a game here or there, if he is running well. But before that? You get to the playoffs with the pass.

Is he out there to prove people wrong or what? This guy looks AMAZING! I know it's only two games but he's averaging 6.3 YPC. That's quite good for a 'washed up' back. I also love his emotion after he gets a big gain.

#21 <3

I agree Ghost. And as of right now, that "washed up" back is the best back we have. And thats saying something because Greene is pretty good.

Don't think LT can last at more than 15 carries a game deep into the playoffs. Shonne Greene has injury issues in the past.

We need to include a 3rd RB on the squad when we get to the back half of the season.

Think that will happen once the roster settles down after players return from suspension, injuries. Maybe we get Chauncey back into the 53 man squad.

I call him BLT, the Beast LT. He says he's playing at a lighter weight than in his prime and I think you can see that by just eyeballing him. But the speed is still there. Give him 30 carries and its hard for me to see the Jets losing.

Best nickname ever. LT is back baby. Wearing green and white no less. Tell us this 7 years ago and we would have had ya committed.

I think he's stepped directly into TJ's shoes. We'll ride him till he wears down, then up Shonn's carries--just like last season. The biggest benefit--when LT's old legs can't push the pile, he can catch the ball and become the 3rd down back we're missing. Never thought he had this much versatility left. Happy to see him thriving.

I think he's stepped directly into TJ's shoes. We'll ride him till he wears down, then up Shonn's carries--just like last season. The biggest benefit--when LT's old legs can't push the pile, he can catch the ball and become the 3rd down back we're missing. Never thought he had this much versatility left. Happy to see him thriving.

Stepped into TJ's shoes how? They're totally different players filling totally different roles. The only thing in common is they're both Jets RB's not named Shonn Greene.

Don't care what his season totals were; Jones typically only looked this dynamic against teams like the Bills rather than against rush defenses who were yielding 3.2 and 3.6 ypc to everyone else. And Jones was not going to be the safety valve LT is.

IMO he's stepping into his own shoes, not TJ's.

Stepped into TJ's shoes how? They're totally different players filling totally different roles. The only thing in common is they're both Jets RB's not named Shonn Greene.

Don't care what his season totals were; Jones typically only looked this dynamic against teams like the Bills rather than against rush defenses who were yielding 3.2 and 3.6 ypc to everyone else. And Jones was not going to be the safety valve LT is.

IMO he's stepping into his own shoes, not TJ's.

How are they filling different roles? Aging vets getting the bulk of the carries early in the season. That's my only point. LT will likely get the TJ share of work until he wears down and Shonn takes over. Same dynamic as last year--only TJ was the one who hit the wall. I'm saying that even if LT wears out--he can still be a helluva third-down reciever option, which TJ really wasn't.

How are they filling different roles? Aging vets getting the bulk of the carries early in the season. That's my only point. LT will likely get the TJ share of work until he wears down and Shonn takes over. Same dynamic as last year--only TJ was the one who hit the wall. I'm saying that even if LT wears out--he can still be a helluva third-down reciever option, which TJ really wasn't.

LT has 22 carries so far, Greene has 20. The only reason for that is the fact that Greene did or didn't get benched in week one. Greene had more carries in the NE game, and expect to see that going forward.

If LT wears out, he's no longer a good third down option. The legs get tired, and he's toast in any role. They will want to keep him fresh as possible.

I'm pretty sure they drafted McKnight with the idea of having him get some late season carries when LT his the proverbial wall, but his poor preseason probably altered those plans. All the more reason to protect LT as best as they can.

Archived