The Official JN Sal Alosi Discussion Thread

BP

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why? What definitive precedent exists that dictates what punishment should be dealt?

vestiges of the jets are holy than thou/pats are evil incarnate meme from the mangina era..

maybe this guy makes 100k? 25k fine is a big deal..

Here is the Jets official release:

JETS DISCIPLINE SAL ALOSI

December 13, 2010 -- The New York Jets today suspended without pay Head Strength and Conditioning Coach Sal Alosi for the remainder of the 2010 season, including any playoff games, and fined him an additional $25,000 for his conduct during Sunday’s game versus the Miami Dolphins. The announcement was made by Jets General Manager Mike Tannenbaum. Alosi’s suspension begins immediately. During this period, he will have no access to the team’s practice facility nor any interaction with coaches or players as it pertains to his job function. He will be eligible to return to the facility on the day following the team’s final game of the 2010 season.

“After reviewing the facts and consulting with the league office, we determined that this was the most appropriate discipline,” said Jets General Manager Mike Tannenbaum. “I have spoken with Sal. He understands the severity of his actions and has apologized to all parties involved in the incident. There is no place in the game for this type of behavior and his conduct falls disappointingly short of our expectations for anyone associated with the New York Jets. I have also reminded all members of the organization with sideline access that it is both a priority and their responsibility to maintain a safe environment.” Alosi said: “I accept responsibility for my actions and respect the team’s decision.”

Why? What definitive precedent exists that dictates what punishment should be dealt?

I don't need precedent to guide me on what doing the right thing is. Precedent is good in the court room. If you work for me and you do something like that, well thanks and good luck going forward.

Agreed, and based on what they were saying in the Fox pre-game, this was a joint decision agreed to and handed down by both the Jets and the NFL. So when you consider there were two groups looking into this situation independently and then working together on a resolution and had it announced a day later, there wasn't exactly a whole lot of loafing around going on.

People forget that the NFL is a corporation, with real contracts and real employees. Jumping straight to fiery indignation before reviewing an incident is never smart business. People have to meet, review, discuss...etc.

I think it's fair. If you were sitting in your office, and someone came up to you and told you that for trying to screw over the competition illegally, Bob in the cubicle next door was fined 20 grand, is losing 1/6th of his pay for the year on top of that, and can't work until February, you'd be out of your mind if you didn't say "holy sh*t that's cold."

Now multiply that times 100, because this dude has to live with this forever. That's the worst part IMO. He's going to be in his 70's making reservations at restaurants and the host on the phone is going to be like, "THE Sal Alosi?" People are going to be looking at him like he's Hitler. Forever. Not to mention the nutjobs who are bound to be sending him hate-mail and prank calling his home and probably harassing his wife and kids if he has any. Call me crazy but I think the guy's getting his due.

People forget that the NFL is a corporation, with real contracts and real employees. Jumping straight to fiery indignation before reviewing an incident is never smart business. People have to meet, review, discuss...etc.

I think it's fair. If you were sitting in your office, and someone came up to you and told you that for trying to screw over the competition illegally, Bob in the cubicle next door was fined 20 grand, is losing 1/6th of his pay for the year on top of that, and can't work until February, you'd be out of your mind if you didn't say "holy sh*t that's cold."

Now multiply that times 100, because this dude has to live with this forever. That's the worst part IMO. He's going to be in his 70's making reservations at restaurants and the host on the phone is going to be like, "THE Sal Alosi?" People are going to be looking at him like he's Hitler. Forever. Not to mention the nutjobs who are bound to be sending him hate-mail and prank calling his home and probably harassing his wife and kids if he has any. Call me crazy but I think the guy's getting his due.

I have to agree with you on this one. From what I can tell it was not premeditated and it seemed like a split second decision. It was easily an offense that can get someone fired from a job, but without knowing the guy personally i'm not going to crown the guy a royal douchebag. People make mistakes in the heat of the moment. Like you said, he seems contrite and embarrassed and he will always carry the stigma of this incident. The fine and the suspension seems to be enough discipline to me.

25K PLUS the loss in wages. I'm willing to bet it's somewhere in the total of 40-50K when all is said and done. That's a whole lotta money for a staff coach.

it's pretty severe

lets say he makes 150k

the loss of 6 weeks pay is about 18,000, and I doubt he has $25,000 laying around to pay fines. like post people, he probably spends up to 97% of his income

Firing him is the only right option?

Yes, imo he should have been fired.

The ironic part is that is basically what they did, I wouldn't bet on his odds of returning to the sidelines next year. They are just not calling it a firing.

One time I had this corner man. He tampered with my gloves and put a solvent on them. My opponent couldn't see by the 7th round. Oh wait, that isn't me. Nevermind.

it's pretty severe

lets say he makes 150k

the loss of 6 weeks pay is about 18,000, and I doubt he has $25,000 laying around to pay fines. like post people, he probably spends up to 97% of his income

What if the Dolphins player had been hurt? geting hurt playing the game is one thing. getting hurt by a low life manuever like that is something different. NFL contracts are not guaranteed.

Yes, imo he should have been fired.

The ironic part is that is basically what they did, I wouldn't bet on his odds of returning to the sidelines next year. They are just not calling it a firing.

One time I had this corner man. He tampered with my gloves and put a solvent on them. My opponent couldn't see by the 7th round. Oh wait, that isn't me. Nevermind.

Lol...come on dude, I know you didn't just compare Sal Alosi to Panama Lewis.

I have to agree with you on this one. From what I can tell it was not premeditated and it seemed like a split second decision. It was easily an offense that can get someone fired from a job, but without knowing the guy personally i'm not going to crown the guy a royal douchebag. People make mistakes in the heat of the moment. Like you said, he seems contrite and embarrassed and he will always carry the stigma of this incident. The fine and the suspension seems to be enough discipline to me.

My personal opinion is that someone lined them up to quit that f'er invading thier turf on punts.. It was a premediated pick play, but i think the knee was the split second decision... either way, i feel like it goes higher up the food chain and scapegoating this guy for the purpose of feeding the ravenous fans/media who like to pretend this is a gentlemens sport was the wrong move. I'm glad the jets didn't capitulate

My personal opinion is that someone lined them up to quit that f'er invading thier turf on punts.. It was a premediated pick play, but i think the knee was the split second decision... either way, i feel like it goes higher up the food chain and scapegoating this guy for the purpose of feeding the ravenous fans/media who like to pretend this is a gentlemens sport was the wrong move. I'm glad the jets didn't capitulate

I too believe someone lined them up. Why else would they look like they were auditioning for a firing squad. Rex or Westhoff could be behind all this. Sorry to say.

Lol...come on dude, I know you didn't just compare Sal Alosi to Panama Lewis.

Honestly I started out that way and then I couldn't remember his name or most of the details. So I am going to have to run with the, "loosely based" thing.

I too believe someone lined them up. Why else would they look like they were auditioning for a firing squad. Rex or Westhoff could be behind all this. Sorry to say.

even the guy to sal's left lowered his shoulder.. i think something was going on

Does the fine/suspension fit the crime? Probably. But, big picture, it looks like the Jets needed Papa Goodell to step in and clean up another public relations disaster for them. If you, like most of the world, view the Jets organization as a bunch of minor-league assclowns, this episode just reinforced that idea. Firing Alosi--fair or not--would have bought them a few sorely-lacking credibility points. Obviously, not a huge priority for Woody.

even the guy to sal's left lowered his shoulder.. i think something was going on

Agreed.

I guess we are going to be that kind of team now. So on top of being perennial failures, we're going to be the dirtbag team in the league too.

Awesome.

Looking forward to ~10 year of "classiness" debates. *sigh*

Does the fine/suspension fit the crime? Probably. But, big picture, it looks like the Jets needed Papa Goodell to step in and clean up another public relations disaster for them. If you, like most of the world, view the Jets organization as a bunch of minor-league assclowns, this episode just reinforced that idea. Firing Alosi--fair or not--would have bought them a few sorely-lacking credibility points. Obviously, not a huge priority for Woody.

why should it be.. if you think the punishment fit the crime, then who gives a sh*t what the baloon heads in the media/public think

On Monday New York Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum addressed the media regarding the team’s suspension of coach Sal Alosi.  Here is the transcript courtesy of the Jets.

Opening Statement

“I’m going to start out by reiterating our apologies to Nolan Carroll and the whole Dolphins organization for what happened. We have a (release) that Bruce (Speight) is passing out. Hopefully, we are going to learn from what happen yesterday and take full responsibility for it. We are really disappointed with Sal (Alosi) for what happened and we are going to hold him accountable for his actions.”

On if the league was involved in this decision…

“We felt it was appropriate for us to hold him (accountable) and to issue the discipline. Rex (Ryan), Woody (Johnson) and I spoke multiple times today. We did speak to the league office more than once today as well. At the end of the day, this was our punishment and something we felt was appropriate.”

On when Alosi will be allowed to return to his position…

“The suspension will occur as long as the season does. If there is a postseason, it would include the postseason.”

On if firing Alosi was considered…

“I don’t want to deal with hypothetical (questions), except to say that we looked at everything and we felt that like this was the appropriate action to take.”

On the details of Alosi’s fine…

“His suspension is without pay. Above and beyond that, there is a $25,000 fine.”

On who will take over the position…

“The number two guy, Bryan Dermody. He’ll report directly to Rex for the length of the suspension.”

On the conversation with Alosi…

“I think as you saw, Sal feels terrible for what he did and yet he took ownership, which I respect. It’s something we take very seriously here and we are extremely disappointed with what he did. There is no place for it in the game and he knows that. It’s our job to hold him accountable for that.”

On how Alosi responded to the news…

“He accepted it. It was a pretty quick conversation. We told him why were doing it and what we were doing. He understood it, he accepted it, and effective today, he’s suspended.”

On whether he would be allowed on the sideline if he returns to the team next season…

“That’s something we’ll look at in 2011 and moving forward. We haven’t made a decision on that yet.”

On when he let him know of the organization’s decision to suspend him…

“I don’t know, maybe an hour ago. He knew that, obviously, there was something coming down the pike. We just had a lot of conversations today, Rex (Ryan), Woody (Johnson) and I (and) I, spoke to the league a couple of times, so the process just took a little while.”

On how much the league had to do with the decision…

“We took the lead. We kind of laid out the options internally, discussed it (and) we ran a few things by them a couple of times. Again, we felt it was really important that as an organization, we came out and (Alosi) knew that, for what he did, there was going to be significant consequences.”

On if the league will punish him…

“(It is) my understanding, that this will be the only discipline for Sal.”

On his initial reaction to the incident on the sidelines…

“Bruce brought it to my attention after the game and I was really disappointed. Obviously, player safety is a huge concern, and to see that a player got hurt on a play like that, I was really floored by it. Obviously, from there, you guys know all of the events, talking to Sal, he owned up to it, the TV copy is pretty clear about what happened.”

On if it was designed for the staff to be standing in a line close to the boundary…

“We don’t coach that. Coach Westhoff does not coach that. Coach Ryan does not coach that. We try to follow those rules as closely as possible, the player safety rules. I had a discussion with the league about that, as well. Sal is in charge, as the “get-back coach,” but that’s not something we try to coach at all.”

u2SDe4hxGv8

View the full article

BULLsh*t..nobody f'ing cares about him getting fired except all you holier then thou misfits here. The guys football life may be over, its Christmas time, let it go already.

There is only one reason why this has received all the national publicity and outrage. It's the same reason Braylon Edwards was all over the national news. It's the same reason the Inez Sainz story became such a big sh*t storm. That reason is Rex Ryan. I understand why Rex does what he does, and I honestly don't mind it at all. But just as the good things get us alot of national attention under Rex, so do the bad things. If the CIN Bengals strength coach stuck a knee out at a CLE Browns gunner, it would be a quick blurb on NFL network and that would be the end of it. You take the good, you take the bad.....

Steve Tasker said this kind of stuff happens all the time...

"You think this is the first time [a trip] ever happened? Come on," Tasker said. "Guys were always giving me extra shoves. You don't want to see someone get hurt, but it's not a big deal. Why wouldn't you give a guy a forearm shiver? Everyone on the sideline is part of a team and they all want to win. Shoot, even the doctors are competitive."

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5919573

Still doesnt make this right, but I thought this was interesting.

I also posted this in the should alosi be fired poll thread, but felt it would make a good thread.

"You think this is the first time [a trip] ever happened? Come on," Tasker said. "Guys were always giving me extra shoves. You don't want to see someone get hurt, but it's not a big deal. Why wouldn't you give a guy a forearm shiver? Everyone on the sideline is part of a team and they all want to win. Shoot, even the doctors are competitive."

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=5919573

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5919573

Are blow darts cool?

Archived