Gholston is amazing

lancemehl

How do you go three full seasons without making a play?

The dude only needed one sack, one fumble or 20% playing time to trigger 9 million bucks per his contract and he can't swing it!!! lol

The Jets would have to pick it up though, so it's safe to say he will be a FA next season.

That deal is almost a joke in Gholston's face. Will anyone sign him next year?? LOL He has a highlight real consisting of about 20 tackles most of them assists. Haha.......and he's on special teams!

#6 overall. Is it time for him to join the club? Where does he rank? I would squeeze him between Johnny Mitchell and Blair Thomas, in that order. lmao

If he's gone he'll probably catch on somewhere else. Teams love low risk/high reward signings and a cheap Gholston is just that.

Also, pretty much agree with Hess on the 2010 Gholston...He's at least done enough to usually be the 1st DL off the bench and giving back money is a big deal.

The fact that he restructured his contract, is considered a good teammate and does contribute as a role and special teams player I'm going to leave him alone.

Hes still making an awful lot of money to just show up and get dressed weekly. I say hes gone next year.

Hes still making an awful lot of money to just show up and get dressed weekly. I say hes gone next year.

I agree with you. But he's pretty good at the point of attack and doesn't hurt the team. I also agree with Gato, I think another team could/should pick him up next year as a FA. He could still develop into a pretty good 43 DE somewhere, I think. Just saying he has potential, maybe not star potential but possibly as a starter or role player in the right system. Could still end up having a Robert Gallery type career with another team...possibly.

If he's gone he'll probably catch on somewhere else. Teams love low risk/high reward signings and a cheap Gholston is just that.

Also, pretty much agree with Hess on the 2010 Gholston...He's at least done enough to usually be the 1st DL off the bench and giving back money is a big deal.

The Ghost never gave back a penny.

Season's still not over yet, who knows if he doesn't have 2-3 plus sacks every game from now till the end of our season. Probably won't but I'm just saying. He could just very well have the GW sack or a game changing strip fumble.

At this point, Reggie White has a better chance of making a GW sack or game changing strip fumble.

Johnny Mitchell and Blair Thomas laugh about how unproductive Vernon Gholston is.

That's another thing - anyone who thinks Johnny Mitchell is the 2nd or 3rd biggest bust hasn't been following the Jets too long or is ignoring the draft history. Mitchell actually had 2 decent seasons (out of 4 for the Jets) his best being 58-749-4. Not too shabby for a TE. I don't think he even cracks the top 10. Here's a few more deserving off the top of my head (not including Ghost and BT and only 1st rounders): Lam Jones, Roger Vick, Mike Haight, Ron Farout. You could also make a case that D-Rob is a bigger bust since he cost 2 1st rounders and was a #4 pick.

I've never understand the level of hatred for the guy around here. People around here act like he was a top 5 or top 10 pick. No he wasn't great, but certainly wasn't the 2nd or 3rd worst bust in history.

The fact that he restructured his contract, is considered a good teammate and does contribute as a role and special teams player I'm going to leave him alone.

Yup, I expressed a similar sentiment in the last Gholston thread. Oh well, I guess this is better than another "fire Schotty poll petition demand letter request" thread.

Johnny Mitchell and Blair Thomas laugh about how unproductive Vernon Gholston is.

yup

thomas and mitchell actually scored 21 TD's between them

you know what's funny ? looking at mitchells stats on line, they are very dustin keller -esque

I remember all the draft news when the Giants drafted Jason Pierre Paul and I was all "Yikes, that could be the next Gholston. The Giants may have screwed themselves." And now all Pierre-Paul does is go out every week and wreak havoc and lines up at DE, OLB and DT and makes it look easy. Then I watch Gholston and how little heart he has and I realize how shi**y a job our scouts did with Gholston.

I remember all the draft news when the Giants drafted Jason Pierre Paul and I was all "Yikes, that could be the next Gholston. The Giants may have screwed themselves." And now all Pierre-Paul does is go out every week and wreak havoc and lines up at DE, OLB and DT and makes it look easy. Then I watch Gholston and how little heart he has and I realize how shi**y a job our scouts did with Gholston.

seriously. I mean...Gholston....what the eff??? Shouldn't a QB have accidentally run into him by now? He's not only bad--he's snakebit. I thought he'd be B. Thomas #2. Turns out, he's just #2.

yup

you know what's funny ? looking at mitchells stats on line, they are very dustin keller -esque

That's exactly what I was saying in my post. His second year he had 39 rec for 640 yards and 6 TD's. Third year he's 58-749-4. His 4th and last year with the Jets IIRC he was injured quite a bit but still had 45-497-5. These are decent stats to say the least for a TE. Why all the hate? Can those of you saying he was a huge bust please explain why?

That's exactly what I was saying in my post. His second year he had 39 rec for 640 yards and 6 TD's. Third year he's 58-749-4. His 4th and last year with the Jets IIRC he was injured quite a bit but still had 45-497-5. These are decent stats to say the least for a TE. Why all the hate? Can those of you saying he was a huge bust please explain why?

the hype machine

he stuck with the dreaded "so talented he may revolutionize the position" label

yeah, this is after kellen winslow and ozzie newsome

It's almost criminal the treatment Johnny Mitchell gets around here. I guess the fans just despise wasted potential.

How can people consider Mitchell a huge bust, when the player taken ahead of him, Derek Brown, was also a TE drafted to play in Giants stadium? Brown was the sure thing Mitchell the young boom or bust. Yet somehow while Mitchell had four seasons with more yardage and touchdowns than Brown had in his entire career, the Jets are judged as draft day disasters and the Giants are nothing but solid scouting and great drafting.

The first two players in the draft where Coryatt and Emtmann. Desmond Howard went #3. He was a hell of a return man. Good WR? Not so much. For the love of God, looking at it now David Klinger went #6!!! All of that and Johnny Mitchell is the bust?

yup

Before I go into my rant about why I hate Blair Thomas, let me state that 16 of those TDs came from Mitchell. My problem with Thomases (Blair and Bryan over Mitchell and Gholston) came from need. The team did not need those guys. They had McNeil and Hector when they drafted Blair and they had Abraham and Ellis when the drafted Bryan. At least Gholston was trying to fill a need. He didn't, but even if Blair or Bryan were good they didn't deserve to start. They weren't.

Somehow Rick Terry and Alex van Dyke has escaped the vitriol of Jets fans.

Let's see now. We won 3 games last year. Chrebet caught like 70 passes as an undrafted rookie who runs perfect routes and never drops the ball (and who we have exclusive rights to for years), we just gave Jeff Graham big bucks, and then draft Keyshawn #1 in the country. So...what to do with the #32 pick in the country. What do we need? ... what will be of the most use to this team?... I KNOW! Another WR!! Brilliant! Hey, he set a bunch of records at that dumpy school in their faggoty purple uniforms. That's what we need. #32 in the country, a guy we hope turns into our #4 WR. Funny thing is, outside of that pick 1996 was (by Jets standards through the 1990s) a great draft.

I think it adds a little to it that some WR's drafted after Van Suck in that same draft were: Amani Toomer, Muhsin Muhammad, Bobby Engram, Terrell Owens, Joe Horn, Patrick Jeffers (shame about that guy's knee).

Rick Terry, lol. At least that useless clown got to the QB twice as a rookie.

Gholston is some kind of miracle to have 0 sacks through 3 seasons, and he's been (as far as I remember) 100% healthy his entire career.

Let's see now. We won 3 games last year. Chrebet caught like 70 passes as an undrafted rookie who runs perfect routes and never drops the ball (and who we have exclusive rights to for years), we just gave Jeff Graham big bucks, and then draft Keyshawn #1 in the country. So...what to do with the #32 pick in the country. What do we need? ... what will be of the most use to this team?... I KNOW! Another WR!! Brilliant! Hey, he set a bunch of records at that dumpy school in their faggoty purple uniforms. That's what we need. #32 in the country, a guy we hope turns into our #4 WR. Funny thing is, outside of that pick 1996 was (by Jets standards through the 1990s) a great draft.

I think it adds a little to it that some WR's drafted after Van Suck in that same draft were: Amani Toomer, Muhsin Muhammad, Bobby Engram, Terrell Owens, Joe Horn, Patrick Jeffers (shame about that guy's knee).

Let's not forget the safety that was selected shortly after Van Suck. Everybody misses on draft picks... But to take somebody after you just signed an all-world WR, drafted one with the first pick and had a good one on your roster already...ALL of whom were young... is insanity.

That's the thing that make this so frustrating. Maybe I'm wrong but he was the consensus pick their. he even sat at the table with the other top guys. not like we reached for him. He was slotted their. So it seems every ones scouts guessed wrong, because he duped them all. Must have been the biceps.

Let's not forget the safety that was selected shortly after Van Suck. Everybody misses on draft picks... But to take somebody after you just signed an all-world WR, drafted one with the first pick and had a good one on your roster already...ALL of whom were young... is insanity.

You mean the safety who's still friggin' playing?

That's the thing that make this so frustrating. Maybe I'm wrong but he was the consensus pick their. he even sat at the table with the other top guys. not like we reached for him. He was slotted their. So it seems every ones scouts guessed wrong, because he duped them all. Must have been the biceps.

He was definitely slotted in that spot though the opinions did vary wildly on him. There were some scouts and sites that had him as a top 3 pick. There were others who said he didnt belong on the 1st day of the draft. I dont even think he was a workout warrior or combine guy. I mean he went into that already high on the list. The combine guys are the ones that make miracle jumps based on their performance in Indy. I think everyone was in love with him beating up Lake Long in college, but there were a ton of people afraid of the fact that he was invisible most of the time on the field. My one friend who is a huge college (Big Ten in particular) fan couldnt believe the guy was a first round draft pick let alone top 10. He said he barely even knew of him playing in the games. I think the Jets probably should have taken the heat on draft day by "reaching" for someone else and not taking him. Clearly everyone in front passed on him for a reason. Hes an epic bust. If not for Jamarcus Russell the Ghost would be the biggest bust in a long time in the whole NFL draft.

Archived