Switch Antonio Cromartie to Safety

mark6sanchez

Terrible idea. As previously stated, he can't tackle. Worse than that, he WON'T try to tackle. He absolutely refuses to perform any role in run support even as a CB. Furthermore, he often looks lost in a zone. The Jets got Cromartie because the Chargers didn't like how he performed in zone coverage. The Jets didn't care because they don't play as much zone. Even when he is playing man he seems like he gets lost when he lays off too far. Can you imagine him trying to lay back at safety? I'd bet he'd be a horror trying to find guys coming out of the backfield. Sure he could cover TEs man, but he does that now.

Joe McKnight at CB FTW!

Given the FA's they have to re-sign, I'm not even convinced the Jets are better-off re-signing Cromartie to a giant contract even to play corner. But signing him to an enormous contract only to change positions...one to which he is horribly-suited in the first place anyway? lol

With the contract Cromartie's going to get, moving him from corner would make him the NFL's highest-paid safety. By a lot.

Let Cromartie walk take the 10 million he is going to get, scrape up an extra 2-4 million and sign both BE and Holmes, let Wilson do what he was drafted to do play as a starting CB in this league, I think with him moving back outside, and actually having a whole training camp learning from Revis he will be more than just fine.

he should become a mercenary and just sign weekly contracts with whoever is going against randy moss that week because that is about what he does best, run in a straight line and then jump, just like randy

after that, all he can do is chase and grab

It's ok Mark6Sanchez...we've all made a thread here or there that we look back on and wonder wtf our brain was thinking at the time. I once started a thread when I believed PatsFanTX was going to be a moderator here. It wasn't good. Neither is this. But I got over it.....hopefully you will too.

Ironically, him and Revis were the only ones that tried to tackle anybody in the first half a week ago. Revis actually made a few tackles. Cromartie managed to make people fall down out of fear of his tackling abilities. I remember this because I was laughing. Mendenhall I think had a clear path to the endzone on one play, then sees Cromartie and somehow actually gets frightened and falls down. Cro looks around like he's as surprised as I am.

Ironically, him and Revis were the only ones that tried to tackle anybody in the first half a week ago. Revis actually made a few tackles. Cromartie managed to make people fall down out of fear of his tackling abilities. I remember this because I was laughing. Mendenhall I think had a clear path to the endzone on one play, then sees Cromartie and somehow actually gets frightened and falls down. Cro looks around like he's as surprised as I am.

Thats the play the announcers even made a note of how bad a decision it was by Mendenhall. Simms basically said all he had to do was lower his head and Cro would either get run over or just move out of the way and let him score. Instead he faked himself out, fell down, and Cro gets the hand tackle. Cromartie as a safety would be amusing. At least once a week he would get run over. At least once a week he would sidestep a runner to avoid contact. At least once a week he would forget to pick someone up coming down the field. But he would also probably have 10 picks on the year.

Thats the play the announcers even made a note of how bad a decision it was by Mendenhall. Simms basically said all he had to do was lower his head and Cro would either get run over or just move out of the way and let him score. Instead he faked himself out, fell down, and Cro gets the hand tackle. Cromartie as a safety would be amusing. At least once a week he would get run over. At least once a week he would sidestep a runner to avoid contact. At least once a week he would forget to pick someone up coming down the field. But he would also probably have 10 picks on the year.

Yep. Then somebody would start a thread about an anti-Jets bias because he wasn't an All Pro with all those picks.

The guy is perhaps the fifth best pure cover corner in the league. He was obtained to go man-to-man with the opponent's No.2 receiver while Revis covered the opponents' best receiver, freeing up other defensive players to rush the passer, etc.

Cromartie might have gotten beat a few times, but overall the plan worked well.

Putting aside Cromartie's tackling deficincies, where are you going to find a corner capable of doing the job Cromartie did in man-to-man coverage? Overall, he did very well there.

Actually Revis would be the one to move to safety. He hits like a linebacker, and QB's couldn't take him out of the game by simply not throwing to his receiver. Ronnie Lott started out as a cover corner and became a HOF safety just like I think Revis could.

Actually Revis would be the one to move to safety. He hits like a linebacker, and QB's couldn't take him out of the game by simply not throwing to his receiver. Ronnie Lott started out as a cover corner and became a HOF safety just like I think Revis could.

:mellow: ... <_<

And amazingly the OP has been trumped.

the more i look at the Jets offseason, the less I think Cro is a Jets player in 2011. the only thing really keeping him here is the 2nd round pick they used on him, that's a high cost for Tanny to just give up on. But they are in pretty dire straights financially if a cap comes back and it's gonna be brutal to try to sign 3 out of the "big 4" - they might only keep 2.

the more i look at the Jets offseason, the less I think Cro is a Jets player in 2011. the only thing really keeping him here is the 2nd round pick they used on him, that's a high cost for Tanny to just give up on. But they are in pretty dire straights financially if a cap comes back and it's gonna be brutal to try to sign 3 out of the "big 4" - they might only keep 2.

Yeah. One of the things paying all that money to Revis is supposed to buy is the lack of a need to grossly overpay for Antonio Cromartie types, probably to the tune of $8-10M per (and who knows; maybe more depending on how a new CBA unfolds). A team with Revis supposedly locked up long-term doesn't pay that for Cromartie to be its #2. A team with nothing at corner pays that for Cromartie to be its #1.

One of the things paying all that money to Revis is supposed to buy is the lack of a need to grossly overpay for Antonio Cromartie types, probably to the tune of $8-10M per (and who knows; maybe more depending on how a new CBA unfolds). A team with Revis supposedly locked up long-term doesn't pay that for Cromartie to be its #2. A team with nothing at corner pays that for Cromartie to be its #1.

This. The defense was better with Lito Sheppard as its number two. Pass rush can make a lot of corners look adequate. I'd rather them throw long term money at Edwards or Harris.

This. The defense was better with Lito Sheppard as its number two. Pass rush can make a lot of corners look adequate. I'd rather them throw long term money at Edwards or Harris.

I'd rather they let Harris go, find an adequate ML, and throw the money at a true pass rushing OLB. Harris is great but extremely one dimensional.

Archived