Aguilera screws up National Anthem at Super Bowl

BP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgxA3Aus8jY

The biggest moment any singer can ask for: "The Star Spangled Banner" at the Super Bowl. And Christina Aguilera messed up the lyrics.

At about 51 seconds in, as she was about to sing the fourth line ("O'er the ramparts we watched, were so gallantly streaming"), she accidentally sang a hybrid of the second line: "What so proudly we watched, at the twilight's last streaming."

Like a professional, she seemed to know that she messed up, but kept going to the end. Check it out below.

http://www.businessinsider.com/watch-christina-aguilera-screws-up-the-national-anthem-at-the-super-bowl-2011-2

Love these "artists" that feel familiar enough with the song to hack it up with shouts, trills and all sorts of gimmicks, but don't feel familiar enough with the song to actually learn the lyrics.

If you are going to do a unique rendition of the national anthem, such as the one done by Marvin Gaye at the NBA All-Star game years ago, then put some effort and thought into it, as Gaye did. These supposed stylists want to be thought of as unique, but they really are just throwing up some fake vocal tricks and expecting us to buy it.

Love these "artists" that feel familiar enough with the song to hack it up with shouts, trills and all sorts of gimmicks, but don't feel familiar enough with the song to actually learn the lyrics.

If you are going to do a unique rendition of the national anthem, such as the one done by Marvin Gaye at the NBA All-Star game years ago, then put some effort and thought into it, as Gaye did. These supposed stylists want to be thought of as unique, but they really are just throwing up some fake vocal tricks and expecting us to buy it.

this is really it...good post KW

Pre-game entertainment sucked.

National Anthem sucked.

Halftime show was the worst ever.

What a f$%#ing disaster.

Everything about the entire event sucked. Jones had to turn fans away. And the debacle started from start to finish.

The game was boring as hell too. Are the Steelers the most boring team to watch on the face of the planet?

That entire event was a travesty.

Completely agree. their outfits were ridiculous, and Usher is by far the gayest

The Black Eyed Pea with the half a hockey helmet-does he have a eggshell skull or some other cranial defect? This was the discussion at halftime.

Everything about the entire event sucked. Jones had to turn fans away. And the debacle started from start to finish.

The game was boring as hell too. Are the Steelers the most boring team to watch on the face of the planet?

That entire event was a travesty.

They are pretty boring. Pats are worse though.

Jimmy- you sing the National Anthem next year ok? Thanx. Wow she was dreadful, horrible run after run and didn't even know the lyrics. AWFUL

if I ever do sing it at an event I can guarantee I'll at least know the words and the melody and not botch it all up trying to prove what an athletic vocalist I am-I hate that kind of singing...I call it Mariah Careying it

if I ever do sing it at an event I can guarantee I'll at least know the words and the melody and not botch it all up trying to prove what an athletic vocalist I am-I hate that kind of singing...I call it Mariah Careying it

Exactly. She did that, repeated lines, and got the repeated lines wrong!

When she started I said "Uh oh - she's trying to put her fingerprint on it" and it was AWFUL. Halftime show - just as bad. And the thing that sucked more than anything was watching the game thinking there's no way the Jets D Backs let Rogers put 300 on them in the SB with no running game!

Good post.

The Walmart demographic has been fooled into thinking that hiccuping your way through a song, while holding one hand up to your ear = muzical geniuz diva extraordinaire.

Admittedly, I get goosebumps and hold back tears of pride EVERY time I hear the National Anthem, however yesterday, was one of the first times this didn't happen for me. I feel like she stole something from me.

Good post.

The Walmart demographic has been fooled into thinking that hiccuping your way through a song, while holding one hand up to your ear = muzical geniuz diva extraordinaire.

Admittedly, I get goosebumps and hold back tears of pride EVERY time I hear the National Anthem, however yesterday, was one of the first times this didn't happen for me. I feel like she stole something from me.

Oh Jeebus...what a great American. :huh:

When she started I said "Uh oh - she's trying to put her fingerprint on it" and it was AWFUL.

Yup, just sing the National Anthem the right way.

And the thing that sucked more than anything was watching the game thinking there's no way the Jets D Backs let Rogers put 300 on them in the SB with no running game!

I was thinking Brady would have lit GB up with two of their CBs out of the game.

Those outfits were absurdly stupid. They were all dressed like Dynamo from The Running Man.

YES!

All that was missing was Roger Goodell handing the winning fan in section 309 row 19 seat 5 a flat box, giving her a creepy unwanted kiss, and saying, "Here y'go ma little darlin' -- The NFL Home Game." Which is apparently where he and many owners seem to want people to watch anyway. Home, or in Europe.

Archived