Movies We've Seen Thread

On 1/7/2023 at 4:17 PM, Nolder said:

The Menu was not at all what I thought it was.

I don't think I can really say it was good or bad but much like the movie it was certainly an experience.

I loved it.  It was so preposterous that the more it was the more we liked it.  Definitely the strangest movie I've seen in a while.  

Fiennes is masterful and Taylor-Joy is a joy to watch. (pun intended)

menu_ver3_xlg-900x900.jpeg

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

On 12/16/2022 at 5:37 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

Not compared to Hulu, but there are pros and cons to each, really depends what you are looking for. I almost went with YouTube TV but only Hulu carries SNY where I am. But YouTube has more channels, allows for more simultaneous streams, and is cheaper. 

Hulu's exclusive content is OK, but IMO if you're really putting that much weight into original programming, no live TV streamer is going to hold its own in that department compared to Netflix and HBO, unless you're counting the fact that Hulu comes with Disney (and ESPN).

I did do a free trial of YTV a while ago and it's also worth noting that their app is also way better than Hulu's. 

I don't know what is up with Hulu.  We have a bunch of streaming apps and rarely use Hulu.  Recently when we try using it to watch Yellowstone or Dopesick it freezes up and shuts off every 10 minutes or so.   Frustrating enough that we don't bother. 

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't know what is up with Hulu.  We have a bunch of streaming apps and rarely use Hulu.  Recently when we try using it to watch Yellowstone or Dopesick it freezes up and shuts off every 10 minutes or so.   Frustrating enough that we don't bother. 

Same has been happening to me with Netflix lately.

Do you watch on a smart tv?

13 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

The live section freezes up all the time when I switch channels. Like regularly. If I wasn't forced to use them for the Mets I honestly would go with someone else.

On 12/24/2022 at 11:45 AM, Drums said:

Getting into Westerns a bit lately. I watched High Plains Drifter the other day which doesn’t seem to be highly reviewed but I liked the horror feel I got from it. Then I watched the Wild Bunch which was good but I didn’t really get into the characters. Next up…? I have The Searchers. 

I lived in Durango, MX for a few years which John Wayne, among others, adored.  

I’ve already seen the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly and it was ******* great as well as Unforgiven. 

Once Upon a Time in the West

74YH.gif

once-upon-a-time-in-the-west.gif

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

The live section freezes up all the time when I switch channels. Like regularly. If I wasn't forced to use them for the Mets I honestly would go with someone else.

Every live sporting event, the audio is not synched up with the video.

NFL, it's not too bad, as you can't see the announcers mouth moving, and the dialogue it's just a little later.   Baseball is horrible, the batter swings, is getting out the batter's box, and you hear the crack of the bat.

17 minutes ago, Drums said:

Thanks! My favorite Westerns so far have been about badasses and this looks like it will fit the bill. 

you've never seen it?  Oh man...  I guess they ran it a lot on USA television in the 70's.  Not sure how old you are but Fonda, Robards and Bronson are great in this Sergio Leone classic.  Pretty sure it was filmed in Italy. I saw it in a huge theater in either 1969 or 70.

and yeah...  Frank is a real bastard in this.  And like all Leone films, it is looooong.  Need lots of popcorn.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

you've never seen it?  Oh man...  I guess they ran it a lot on USA television in the 70's.  Not sure how old you are but Fonda, Robards and Bronson are great in this Sergio Leone classic.  Pretty sure it was filmed in Italy. I saw it in a huge theater in either 1969 or 70.

and yeah...  Frank is a real bastard in this.  And like all Leone films, it is looooong.  Need lots of popcorn.

Heard of it but I am an ignorant sl*t (Office reference) and I'm 36. It's okay if it's long cause I don't mind taking an intermission if it means I stay focused the whole movie haha

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Drums said:

Heard of it but I am an ignorant sl*t (Office reference) and I'm 36. It's okay if it's long cause I don't mind taking an intermission if it means I stay focused the whole movie haha

You're older than me. I thought we were closer in age lol.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

The scene where he made Tyler cook for him was all-time. Instantly destroyed foodie culture in one 90-second moment.

Probably best part of the movie LOL. I love that they put it up on the screen too. Tyler's Bullsh*t. 

17 hours ago, Drums said:

That's an SNL reference that The Office was referencing.

Akryod said it to Jane. But you're only 36, so I guess you can get a pass.

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Dump the firestick. All my app issues went away when I replaced with Chromecasts.

I use them all.  The issue is the not the firestick, it is Hulu.  At least one firestick is necessary because they lost the remote to that TV.  The firestick has a remote which will turn the TV on and allow you to adjust volume.  Last night we were lucky to get 10 minutes in Dopesick before a shut down.  That is on the "smart" TV.  I guess  I will try to reinstall the app on that TV and maybe it will work better, but I am not optimistic.  It seems to lock up with the chromecasts and firesticks.

3 hours ago, JetPotato said:

That's an SNL reference that The Office was referencing.

Akryod said it to Jane. But you're only 36, so I guess you can get a pass.

Not surprised. Too much sh*t to catch up on man, spent most of my life balls deep in music and books, ignored most other things. 

On 1/12/2023 at 4:25 PM, Drums said:

Not surprised. Too much sh*t to catch up on man, spent most of my life balls deep in music and books, ignored most other things. 

On 1/12/2023 at 5:03 PM, JetPotato said:

It was a big one. Given the time, it was a jaw dropping line for many to hear on their television.

Found one

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, JetsfaninNorthHollywood said:

Rewatched "Narc" with Ray Liotta (RIP) and Jason Patric and then "Marathon Man". 

Marathon Man was huge back when. Tremendous cast.  Worth another watch one of these days.  I'll bet it aged pretty well.   
"Is it safe?"

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

The first 40 minutes or so of You People is absolutely hysterical. Julia Louis-Dreyfuss had me falling off my couch laughing. The flick starts going in a lot of places that really needed to be gone to, and then it just...stops. The whole thing becomes some very stupid and very cliché pile of drivel after that. 

• Upvote 2