Movies We've Seen Thread

40 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I watched Prey on Hulu last night and I really enjoyed it. Its arguably the second best Predator movie after the original and having the setting with the Comanche really added a fresh take to the franchise that was really badly needed. For a TV movie, there were some really beautiful shots. 

I might have to sign up for the free trial to watch this.

Is there anything else on Hulu that I need to see in a limited time? 

EDIT- why is Prey on Hulu when Disney owns Fox now?

Kind of upsets me. 

Never mind.  Disney owns Hulu too.  Probably too graphic for the main channel. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I might have to sign up for the free trial to watch this.

Is there anything else on Hulu that I need to see in a limited time? 

EDIT- why is Prey on Hulu when Disney owns Fox now?

Kind of upsets me. 

Never mind.  Disney owns Hulu too.  Probably too graphic for the main channel. 

Hulu gave my wife a free subscription for her birthday.  Cheap fuks allowed commercials, which is annoying.  So far, we only watched The Old Man on Hulu.  I heard Dopesick was pretty good so might check that out before her subscription ends.

3 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Watched Ron Howard's The Thirteen last night.  Overall, I thought the film was very good.  My only criticism is that I felt it lacked a bit of the necessary emotion.   Felt it was a bit cold and by the book.

If he's seen the flick, would love to know what @Jet_Engine1 thinks about the diving scenes.  That operation had to be one of the most harrowing experiences even for those top level divers.  Those guys are true heroes to have saved the kids.

My Father was a Law Enforcement Diver (FL Marine Patrol & PB County SO) for 25 years. In his opinion, that was the most technically difficult Dive Rescue EVER. Cave diving is extremely dangerous in ordinary circumstances, and pulling sedated kids out through that cave system was epic. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I watched Prey on Hulu last night and I really enjoyed it. Its arguably the second best Predator movie after the original and having the setting with the Comanche really added a fresh take to the franchise that was really badly needed. For a TV movie, there were some really beautiful shots. 

Saw it Friday. Agree 2nd best predator movie made..loved the 1st.. had low expectations and it was surprisingly very good.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

I watched Prey last night.  Not a terrible movie, but I was expecting better.  Cheaply done, with a bunch of slow moments and some awful acting (mainly Naru's brother Taabe).   I thought Amber Midthunder as Naru was very good in her role and carried the movie.  Hoping this movie will generate a bigger budget for any upcoming films.

• Upvote 1

On 7/9/2022 at 8:25 AM, IndianaJet said:

Thor Love and Thunder. 

Awful…..really really bad. I’m a HUGE MCU guy and this is pretty close to being the worst MCU movie.  

I honestly kept checking my watch to see how much time was left before I could leave. 

The subtle comic element that made Ragnarok so good was way over the top and buffoonish.  

Wait for this to stream for free on Disney +. 

I thought it made up for the bomb that was Batman.  Dr. Strange was meh. But Thor love and thunder was great, IMO.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, chirorob said:

Finally watched Hustle on Netflix.

Personally, I really enjoyed it.  Sure, it was a bit predictable, but it was well done, it was a good watch, Sandler and Queen Latifah had some really good scenes together, they played off each other very well.

I enjoyed it. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/7/2022 at 9:00 AM, munchmemory said:

Watched Ron Howard's The Thirteen last night.  Overall, I thought the film was very good.  My only criticism is that I felt it lacked a bit of the necessary emotion.   Felt it was a bit cold and by the book.

If he's seen the flick, would love to know what @Jet_Engine1 thinks about the diving scenes.  That operation had to be one of the most harrowing experiences even for those top level divers.  Those guys are true heroes to have saved the kids.

Isn't this the situation where Elon Musk sent a mini sub to help with the rescue, the divers didn't use it because it wasn't practical in a cave system, and, in response, Musk called the guy who led the rescue a pedophile?

1 hour ago, IndianaJet said:

Isn't this the situation where Elon Musk sent a mini sub to help with the rescue, the divers didn't use it because it wasn't practical in a cave system, and, in response, Musk called the guy who led the rescue a pedophile?

Sorry, I don't know.  None of that was mentioned in the flick.

On 8/8/2022 at 11:31 AM, Fantasy Island said:

I thought it made up for the bomb that was Batman.  Dr. Strange was meh. But Thor love and thunder was great, IMO.

The only "comic book" movie men over 30 should be talking about is Dredd. 

? 

A perfect movie that was completely overlooked. 

judge restore GIF

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/7/2022 at 11:05 AM, munchmemory said:

Hulu gave my wife a free subscription for her birthday.  Cheap fuks allowed commercials, which is annoying.  So far, we only watched The Old Man on Hulu.  I heard Dopesick was pretty good so might check that out before her subscription ends.

You guys all need to watch Letterkenny front to back then Shorsey.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

You guys all need to watch Letterkenny front to back then Shorsey.

I have not heard of these.  After your recommendation, will definitely check them out.  Thanks, JP.

A quick word on The Old Man:  Damn, that thing went south quickly after the first episode.  Literally, I'm struggling to get through it.  It just became completely dumb.  Adding Amy Brenneman's character--and what she quickly became--is a disaster.   I hate every second she's on screen.  And Jeff "Mumbles" Bridges needs to retire.  Thank God we enabled closed captioning.

10 hours ago, munchmemory said:

I have not heard of these.  After your recommendation, will definitely check them out.  Thanks, JP.

A quick word on The Old Man:  Damn, that thing went south quickly after the first episode.  Literally, I'm struggling to get through it.  It just became completely dumb.  Adding Amy Brenneman's character--and what she quickly became--is a disaster.   I hate every second she's on screen.  And Jeff "Mumbles" Bridges needs to retire.  Thank God we enabled closed captioning.

Just to prepare you, they are quirky comedy. Letterkenny gets increasingly better with each passing season. If you like weird funny, you'll love it 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, JetPotato said:

Just to prepare you, they are quirky comedy. Letterkenny gets increasingly better with each passing season. If you like weird funny, you'll love it 

Watched the first two episodes last night with my family.  From the first few seconds, we all thought it was hilarious.  It has that deadpan quirky we all love/appreciate.  

Sort of like Napoleon Dynamite, a Wes Anderson flick and a SCTV sketch all rolled into one.  Jared Keeso created a gem.  And he's hysterical as soft-spoken, "toughest guy in town" Wayne.  And how cute is Michelle Mylett as Katy?   

Thanks for the recommendation, JP.

2 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Watched the first two episodes last night with my family.  From the first few seconds, we all thought it was hilarious.  It has that deadpan quirky we all love/appreciate.  

Sort of like Napoleon Dynamite, a Wes Anderson flick and a SCTV sketch all rolled into one.  Jared Keeso created a gem.  And he's hysterical as soft-spoken, "toughest guy in town" Wayne.  And how cute is Michelle Mylett as Katy?   

Thanks for the recommendation, JP.

Knew you'd like it, and I almost made the same Napoleon Dynamite comparison.

If you like Katy, wait til you get to Bonnie MacMurray...

• Upvote 1

On 8/14/2022 at 10:37 AM, munchmemory said:

A quick word on The Old Man:  Damn, that thing went south quickly after the first episode.  Literally, I'm struggling to get through it.  It just became completely dumb.  Adding Amy Brenneman's character--and what she quickly became--is a disaster.   I hate every second she's on screen. 

I stopped watching at Ep5. This is the exact reason I shared with my buddies. She’s awful.

The first episode was great. Oh well.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I stopped watching at Ep5. This is the exact reason I shared with my buddies. She’s awful.

The first episode was great. Oh well.

There were elements of it I like, so I will watch the 2nd season when it's released.  I like the Lithgow relationship with the other characters and I want to see what happens next (no spoilers, but it left us hanging, similar to Homeland seasons).  Brennerman is just unimportant, annoying and unrealistic.  Bridges acting is a Shatneresque as always.  Still, I like the flashbacks to the 1980's and the actor who plays the young Bridges (also played the young Mickey Donovan for Jon Voit on Ray Donovan).   I rate it higher than you guys.

On 11/4/2019 at 8:55 AM, Untouchable said:

Watched ‘Bone Tomahawk’ on Amazon last night.

Best damn western since ‘Unforgiven’.

Kurt Russell was awesome and the last half hour is f*cking brutal.

When I first got this Mac I wrote down a list of movies that were coming out that I might want to see and as I was trying to find a lost password the other night I came across the list again.  So we watched Kurt Russel and David Arquette in Bone Tomahawk, good movie and very disturbing. It's one of those that you wished you would have closed your eyes at certain parts because when those cannibal Cave freaks split that deputy apart with a bone tomahawk turning him upsidedown and chopping at the part that is already split and his intestines come flopping out eeeewwchhh, I wish I didn't see that

If you’re a fan of Heat, Mann just published Heat 2. It’s pretty great and picks up right where the movie ended. I’m happy that Mann did it as a book, as a film would have come off as so disingenuous. And the best part about it is if you’ve watched Heat 8 billion times, you’re easily watching the book in your head as you’re reading it. It’s not Shakespeare, but it’s definitely McCauley and Hanna on the pages and it’s fun to revisit them.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, maury77 said:

I just rewatched Ferris Bueller last night with my 10 year old (who can barely sit through any non cartoon movie) and he loved it. The film and its premise have held up well. 

It is still fantastic.

Afterwards, my son and I talked about it.  The calmness of some of the scenes, when Rooney hears "Ferris Bueller on line 1".

Just the held looks, it is one of my virtually perfect movies.  Every scene is fantastic.   Music is fantastic.  All of it.

Last night I watched Uncharted.   Wjat a pile of dog feces.   So boring, so stupid.   It was free (Netflix) but I still feel like I overpaid.

• Upvote 2

On 8/28/2022 at 7:30 AM, chirorob said:

Last night I watched Uncharted.   Wjat a pile of dog feces.   So boring, so stupid.   It was free (Netflix) but I still feel like I overpaid.

You're the second person I've met to really sh*t on this movie and I don't really get it.

I mean it wasn't exactly Indiana Jones or anything but I didn't think it was bad...

I feel like maybe some people had different expectations of this movie than I did or something lol.

6 hours ago, Nolder said:

You're the second person I've met to really sh*t on this movie and I don't really get it.

I mean it wasn't exactly Indiana Jones or anything but I didn't think it was bad...

I feel like maybe some people had different expectations of this movie than I did or something lol.

It was just boring, and kinda dumb.  There was no humor, the villianess was a really bad actress.

Tom Holland just played Spiderman, without the powers.   

It was just so bland and mediocre.

I suppose Thirteen Lives is a decent watch if you have already seen The Rescue. It's very well shot, but I just don't think it's the type of story that fits well into a feature film format. For example, Jimmy Chin's doc spent a lot of time examining the plan to sedate the boys, and how contentious a proposition it was for all parties. It's maybe the biggest part of the story and I feel like Howard glossed over that. 

On the flipside Chin's documentary shorts just how big a role the surrounding local community played in the entire operation, so it was nice to see Howard give them their proper due. All in all Howard's movie is a well done dramatization but The Rescue was so well done and won so much stuff that it's hard to see the need for it, other than watching Mortenson and Farrell play guys that Chin personally introduced the world to just a year ago.

11 hours ago, chirorob said:

It was just boring, and kinda dumb.  There was no humor, the villianess was a really bad actress.

Tom Holland just played Spiderman, without the powers.   

It was just so bland and mediocre.

I can see bland and mediocre. It could have been better.

• Upvote 1

On 8/28/2022 at 9:30 AM, chirorob said:

Look on the birght side.  At least you saw it without paying.  I saw it in the theatre a few months ago.  With my wife and daughter.  At least it was a matinee, so we didn't spend top dollar.

• Upvote 2

We were looking for something to watch last night and landed on House of Gucci.   Don't think I can fully express how much I disliked it.  Not sure what Ridley Scott was thinking.  It's way too long, lacks any real pace, and often very dull.  Thankfully, it was free on Amazon.

Adam Driver is fine in his role; nothing noteworthy.  But someone, anyone, please tell Lady Gaga that she is not an actress. The role is miles beyond her ability.  

Oh yeah.  So as not to upset his decades-long streak, Al Pacino does his patented screaming in a couple of scenes.

• Haha 1

On 8/31/2022 at 1:19 AM, Nolder said:

Watched Me Time last night.

It was about what you'd expect.

I thought it was alright but also a little tame.

Wahlberg cannot act. Kevin Hart just yells. The two together had zero chemistry and comedic delivery.

One if the worst movies I’ve ever seen.

• Upvote 2