Movies We've Seen Thread

8 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Not sure what Ridley Scott was thinking.  

He’s consistently inconsistent. Almost every movie he makes after making a great one is mediocre or flat out bad. I’m a huge Sir Ridley fan but the last time he nailed two in a row was Alien and Blade Runner. The Last Duel was fantastic, so it was inevitable that Gucci would be terrible. 

• Upvote 3

19 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

He’s consistently inconsistent. Almost every movie he makes after making a great one is mediocre or flat out bad. I’m a huge Sir Ridley fan but the last time he nailed two in a row was Alien and Blade Runner. The Last Duel was fantastic, so it was inevitable that Gucci would be terrible. 

Ehhh, I think GI Jane, Gladiator, Hannibal and Black Hawk Down was a nice run:

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000631/#director

2 hours ago, CotcheryifyouCan said:

anybody have thoughts on elvis? it was something. loved parts hated parts. def entertaining but its kind of trash. im glad i watched it tho. music is great. tom hanks was hilariously bad with his accent as colonel parker. 

It was very “stylized” if that’s even a word.

Felt like if Sam Raimi made a musical. 
Very campy.

@RutgersJetFan what did you think? 

4 hours ago, CotcheryifyouCan said:

anybody have thoughts on elvis? it was something. loved parts hated parts. def entertaining but its kind of trash. im glad i watched it tho. music is great. tom hanks was hilariously bad with his accent as colonel parker. 

I liked the movie but it also made me realize I kind of hate Elvis with the exception of like 2 or 3 songs. Not the guy I just mean the music.

5 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Very campy.

I despise Baz Luhrmann movies. Raimi is campy intentionally and that's what makes him a fantastic filmmaker. Luhrmann makes camp by accident in an effort to be a serious filmmaker. 

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, CotcheryifyouCan said:

We watched it last night.  Overall, I enjoyed the film.  I think Austin Butler was great in the lead role; captured all of Elvis' mannerisms.  He's a very talented actor and a geat singer/performer as well.

The main problem I had with the movie was all the jumping around of the story and excessive quick cutting by Luhrmann.  And I hate almost all music-related biopics because they all do goofy expositions.  I lol'd when Hank Snow's kid says "Sun Records.  Isn't that Sam Phillips' label?"   Or when Elvis is shopping and sees B.B. King: "Hey, there's B.B. King."   lol   Dumb.

Also agree that Tom Hanks was abysmal as Col. Tom Parker.  I'm not sure why he chose to play it that way.  Or why Luhrmann allowed the choices.  He was the worst part of the flick.

As you might expect, fantastic music throughout the film.  Added great motion and emotion to the movie.   Loved Gary Clark, Jr.'s brief moment as Big Boy Crudup.  

On 9/17/2022 at 6:05 PM, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Very campy.

Suspect to get the music and family cooperation, no way they would allow a real biography. How could you make the movie withou the music? Liked it, but back of you mind, a movie about show business was shaped by show business. 

On 9/18/2022 at 1:42 PM, Jimmy 2 Times said:

So you hated it too. 

I certainly understand how the production had an obnoxious, Zach Snyder-ish over the top element to it, but the lead actor was very good and, as someone who knew very little about Elvis, it was educational for me. 

Watched this last night.

It's basically the same movie as 47 Meters Down if anyone saw that.

As someone with a fear of heights this was a nice movie to kind of experience my fear without any actual dangers.

I'll be honest it was hard to watch at times lol.

Pretty ok movie, nothing special but you might enjoy it if you have a fear of heights as well or just like survival type movies.

Had my kids watching some Andy Griffith show the other day.  Looked something up about the history of the show and saw a comment from somebody saying they loved the movie "A face in the crowd" starring Andy Griffith.  I'd never heard of it so I watched the trailer and I was intrigued.  Bought it on prime and it didn't disappoint.  Basically shows how power and fame corrupt while using mass media to brainwash.  

Oh, it also showed me where the writers for eastbound and down came up the ending to that show.

Wifey picked an interesting movie last night.  Always a coin toss when she picks but this one was pretty damn good.  Ending up being a very powerful movie, I believe based on a true story.  "Where the Crawdads Sing" - stage is set as a murder mystery, court room trial drama but really, it's a story, somewhat coming of age but mainly about an outcasted member of society.  A girl who grew up alone in a swamp and how she ended up there, how she survived, how she was treated and how that all plays into the mystery thats going on.  Very well done w/ an awesome twist at the end.

On 10/6/2022 at 5:52 AM, JiFapono said:

Wifey picked an interesting movie last night.  Always a coin toss when she picks but this one was pretty damn good.  Ending up being a very powerful movie, I believe based on a true story.  "Where the Crawdads Sing" - stage is set as a murder mystery, court room trial drama but really, it's a story, somewhat coming of age but mainly about an outcasted member of society.  A girl who grew up alone in a swamp and how she ended up there, how she survived, how she was treated and how that all plays into the mystery thats going on.  Very well done w/ an awesome twist at the end.

I'm intrigued.  Adding to my queue.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Blonde - legit, couldnt get through it.  So bad.  Hard watch.  

Elvis - not for me, did not enjoy, though I think the guy that played him nailed it.

Same on Blonde. Hard to believe you can get me to turn off a movie with Ana in it, but they succeeded. Painfully bad.

10 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Same on Blonde. Hard to believe you can get me to turn off a movie with Ana in it, but they succeeded. Painfully bad.

I cant remember the last time my wife and I watched a movie and 45 minutes in I looked at her and was like, I cant do this anymore, it's painful and she agreed sadly because she loves Joyce Carol Oates and the book but it was just so hard to watch, we had to turn it off as well.  

40 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

I cant remember the last time my wife and I watched a movie and 45 minutes in I looked at her and was like, I cant do this anymore, it's painful and she agreed sadly because she loves Joyce Carol Oates and the book but it was just so hard to watch, we had to turn it off as well.  

I wonder if anyone has seen the end.

• Haha 1