•  

Welcome to JetNation.com

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to JetNation.com, your home for New York Jets talk. We are an independent site, which means we aren't affiliated with the NY Jets or SNY. The opinions here are never censored. We want you to join in on the conversation, but don't worry this is a simple and FREE process. Be apart of JetNation.com by signing in or creating an account. When you create an account, you can also opt to use your existing Facebook or Twitter login.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
Also be sure to check us out on Facebook and Twitter.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Yahoo: Bucs offer 1st, 3rd, 6th for Revis; to pay him $15m-$16m

• Please log in to reply
357 replies to this topic

#26 The Crusher

The Crusher

JiF is all about that bass, bout that bass, no treble

• Moderators
  • 30,089 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:34 AM

If this is true Idzik needs to do this immediately

If he takes too long and the deal falls through he'll irrepairably damage his reputation with NY fans.  He'll be forever known as the guy who let Revis go for nothing when he could have gotten 3 picks.

The fans will figure out a reason to hate him anyhow.  One of the things I like about the guy so far is he seems to be treating it like a job with a goal and not a popularity contest.  But he will be judged on his moves and anything short of a title we will hate him eventually. 

#27 sirlancemehlot

sirlancemehlot

perpetual rookie

• Members
  • 4,281 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:35 AM

My understanding is that there is no guarantee the Jets are getting a 3rd by letting him walk.

No, no guarantee.  But its the accepted assumption and there is really no reason to doubt it.  Its a standard compensation for a player of Revis' caliber.

#28 flgreen

flgreen

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 17,594 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:43 AM

No, no guarantee.  But its the accepted assumption and there is really no reason to doubt it.  Its a standard compensation for a player of Revis' caliber.

Unless the Jets sign a high dollar FA next season, and they will have quite a bit of money available 

#29 slats

slats

9 5/8" hands

• Moderators
  • 20,029 posts
  • LocationAcross the Universe

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:12 AM

If this reliable you have to make this deal- even if 2014 first round choice

I disagree. I think he has to get something this year, and that something should be nothing less than a second round pick. I like the fact that Idzik has seemed to be holding out (so to speak) for the 13th pick this year. If this is true, and these are picks in this year's draft, then they should just pull the trigger, already.

Trading Revis this year for three picks next year would give a lot of credence to Rex being a dead man walking, though.

My understanding is that there is no guarantee the Jets are getting a 3rd by letting him walk.

Given the contract that Revis would get, the Jets would pretty much control whether they got a comp pick or not. They'd simply have to make sure they signed one less free agent than they lost next year. The problem with that is that the Jets will have some cap room next year, and might want to bring a lot of players in as a result. Would they reduce the number of free agents they were willing to sign for the 100th-ish pick in the 2015 draft?
back in my room
wish you were dead
you bawl like the baby
in Eraserhead

#30 Barton

Barton

The One True Bob

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:14 AM

Article didnt say the Bucs actually offered that (yet). Perhaps Cole has knowledge that they are "willing" to offer this deal.

#31 faba

faba

• Moderators
  • 25,962 posts
  • LocationHolmdel

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:17 AM

Some times you just have to say enough is enough- in  a ideal world you get everything you want- we do not live in an ideal world- take the three choices if that is the best we can get

Treat people with how you want to be treated-with respect.

#32 Stonehands

Stonehands

Jet Fan

• Members
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:20 AM

I don't make the deal unless I can get picks in this draft.  I think it becomes a 2nd this year and a first next year when all is said and done.

#33 flgreen

flgreen

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 17,594 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:32 AM

Funny thing is, we don’t have a clue what is actually going on here.  I doubt the media does either.

As with the Eagles, and the Aso thing several years ago, for all we know there might be another team involved, and the Bucs are being manipulated the way the Jets were in the Aso signing.

Somebody needs to get in touch with Toon so we can get the truth from Charlie Burke.   

#34 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 15,337 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:37 AM

the problem with 2014 draft picks is the Jets are losing their best player in 2013. And there will be 8 home games, despite all the "season is already over" gloom and doom. If they don't get a high pick this year, screw em. He's a 27 y.o 3x All Pro for christs sake. 

My posts have to get worse, so they can get better.

#35 flgreen

flgreen

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 17,594 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:57 AM

the problem with 2014 draft picks is the Jets are losing their best player in 2013. And there will be 8 home games, despite all the "season is already over" gloom and doom. If they don't get a high pick this year, screw em. He's a 27 y.o 3x All Pro for christs sake. 

I think you might have mentioned that before.

Your right about the fact that the Jets are taking a major gamble that there might be a lot of empty seats in 2013.  They seem to be willing to take that business risk.

From the appearances of things, it seems that  Woody, and Idzik have decided not to pay Revis.  I suspect that even the 12 million isn’t on the table anymore.  This was decided before Idzik was hired.  Of course I don’t know that, but it sure looks like it by their behavior.  

#36 stugotz81

stugotz81

2nd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:57 AM

I want to hear that we at least made him an offer. It doesn't matter what these articles say. I want to hear we tried to sign him long term, and that the ego maniac laughed. THEN trade him.

Good point, I agree.  I don't want Revis to go at all, but if the Jets at least made a decent attempt to resign him and thru a reasonable offer at him.....then I wont care as much seeing him traded this year.

You can’t fly with eagles when you keep walking with turkeys

#37 slats

slats

9 5/8" hands

• Moderators
  • 20,029 posts
  • LocationAcross the Universe

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:00 AM

When all is said and done, they need to take the deal that keeps Revis from playing out the year and becoming a free agent in 2014. Otherwise, it'll be the Jets who are screwed.
back in my room
wish you were dead
you bawl like the baby
in Eraserhead

#38 Il Mostro

Il Mostro

Cazzone

• Members
  • 5,276 posts
  • LocationOut West

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:10 AM

I'd like to see something coming back to us in this year's draft.  Give in to the #1 coming in 2014 and squeeze them for a 2nd or 3rd this year in addition to a 3rd next year?  The 6th is worthless and, if the actually Bucs improve by leaps and bounds (stranger things have happened), the 2014 1st and 3rd creep closer to 2nd and 4th round value.

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye. Then it's just fun.

#39 Sperm Edwards

Sperm Edwards

Penis

• Moderators
  • 28,893 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:14 AM

That was my initial reaction as well, but the more I considered it, the less appealing the offer became.  Basically, the Jets will recoup a third round compensatory pick if they let Revis walk in the offseason.  So the trade, on the Jets end, becomes Revis for a one and a six next year.  So if Tampa becomes more competitive this season following several key aquisitions, even the one won't likely be a top 20 pick.  The six is basically a throwaway.  So, is the deal for league's best defensive player really that attractive? Meh.  I think Idzik can afford to sit on it a while, and let the Bucs squirm. 

The 3rd round compensatory pick we'd get would have otherwise been the #1 pick in round 4.  It's only a "3rd round" pick in name because they're adding him to the end of the 3rd round.  But absent a 3rd round compensatory pick being awarded in a given year, that overall pick would have been pick 1 in round 4.

Also that compensatory pick isn't until 2015.  In terms of trade value (theoretical, since you can't trade a comp pick) the #1 pick in round 4 is worth the #1 pick in round 6 today.  And, as others have mentioned, we only get it if we sit on our hands and don't sign a premiere player in 2014 - at a more valuable position than CB - when we'll have plenty more cap space.

A 6th round pick next year is worth (in trade) a 5th round pick in 2015.  It is not a throwaway.  We got Slauson, 3-year starter on our OL, with a 6th round pick.  The (penciled in) starter at safety, Bush, was drafted with a 6th rounder.  Joel Dreesen, who we let go of after 1 year, was drafted with a 6th.  And these are just some Jets draft picks out of a small sample (since we didn't draft a player in round 6 in two of the past three drafts). It's not nearly as valuable as the 3rd or the 1st, of course, but it is not a throwaway.  

JetNation.com

#40 derp

derp

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 597 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:15 AM

I don't make the deal unless I can get picks in this draft.  I think it becomes a 2nd this year and a first next year when all is said and done.

That's where I think this ends up as well. And while it's less than I'd like ideally, that's far from a bad deal. If the Jets draft well that's a starter this year and ammo to get a QB next year. Not bad.

#41 pointman

pointman

sandwiches are good.

• Members
  • 6,724 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:21 AM

Good point, I agree.  I don't want Revis to go at all, but if the Jets at least made a decent attempt to resign him and thru a reasonable offer at him.....then I wont care as much seeing him traded this year.

Exactly. We hear rumors of this and that, but not once have we heard that we made an offer.. even a low ball offer.

#42 ThisYearsModel

ThisYearsModel

Free Agent

• Members
  • 1,927 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:30 AM

I don't believe that anyone will give Revis $14-16MM per.  The Bucs don't need to give him that much.  This is agentspeak, IMO.  His price tag has dropped due to market forces. 

#43 flgreen

flgreen

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 17,594 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:32 AM

All we are getting is rumors.  All the media is getting is rumors, but for some strange reason, the fans accept the media’s rumors as gospel.  Even though we know they have lied to us repeatedly about “undisclosed sources”  Anything we read form the scribes has no more credence that what posters on here write.

The latest  undisclosed source (me)  thinks the Jets have not made Revis any kind of an offer, nor do they intend to, unless the whole trade thing completely falls apart.  That would be a horrible start to the Idzik era.

IMO, they have all ready decided, during Idzik’s hiring sessions, they are trading Revis.  

#44 Favorite_Toon

Favorite_Toon

Please Allow Me To Introduce Myself

• Members
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:52 AM

Did someone request my services? lol   Well the way Charlie hears it...  The compensation would be for next years draft and the jets insist the pick be for this year. At least the first rounder...  My opinion is that why are the jets so hard after the picks for this year? We are rebuilding and there are no really true out of this world franchise type QB this year anyways.. We will possibly have a top 5 pick next year and if you add the Bucs first rounder we can have a shot at Johnny Football if he comes out and several other prospects.. Other then receiver... this is a weak draft...

#45 LAD_Brooklyn

LAD_Brooklyn

Rookie Free Agent

• Members
  • 650 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:56 AM

So rumors have down graded from a 1st and 2nd in 2014 to a 1st, 3rd and 6th in 2014?

#46 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 15,337 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:56 AM

It's very important that the Jets new GM not get screwed here. Everyone talks about the "worst case" of the Jets losing him for only a 3rd. The real worst case is the Jets new GM first major move is to get screwed out of the team's best player. And by the way trading Revis this year puts 13 mil dead money on the cap. It should be worth while in the short term, otherwise no deal. The league should know that the Jets aren't easily bent over. That's worth something. 

#47 flgreen

flgreen

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 17,594 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:01 AM

It's very important that the Jets new GM not get screwed here. Everyone talks about the "worst case" of the Jets losing him for only a 3rd. The real worst case is the Jets new GM first major move is to get screwed out of the team's best player. And by the way trading Revis this year puts 13 mil dead money on the cap. It should be worth while in the short term, otherwise no deal. The league should know that the Jets aren't easily bent over. That's worth something. 

I’m not so sure if a team like the Dolphins sign him in 2014 for 0 compensation they will really have been taught a lesson that the Jets won’t be bent over

#48 Villain The Foe

Villain The Foe

6 Years Is Enough. Time To Fire Rex

• Members
  • 3,730 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:04 AM

If this is true Idzik needs to do this immediately

If he takes too long and the deal falls through he'll irrepairably damage his reputation with NY fans.  He'll be forever known as the guy who let Revis go for nothing when he could have gotten 3 picks.

Im a NY Jet fan and I highly doubt this statement.

NYJetsScript.gif

#49 Villain The Foe

Villain The Foe

6 Years Is Enough. Time To Fire Rex

• Members
  • 3,730 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:06 AM

I don't believe that anyone will give Revis $14-16MM per.  The Bucs don't need to give him that much.  This is agentspeak, IMO.  His price tag has dropped due to market forces. 

Not necessarily so. What other CB's got paid is their salary for that team. Revis is much better than any of those guys signed mixed with the fact that the Bucs are most desperate in the secondary column and have more than enough money to afford it.

NYJetsScript.gif

#50 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 15,337 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:08 AM

I’m not so sure if a team like the Dolphins sign him in 2014 for 0 compensation they will really have been taught a lesson that the Jets won’t be bent over

I love it how on one hand, Revis is overpriced, selfish, doesn't play important position and a team can't build around him.

But on the other hand God help us if he lands in the division. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users