Mehta: Jets brass souring on Stephen Hill--possible trade bait

T0mShane

via Rotoworld

According to the NY Daily News, the Jets' front office is "skeptical" third-year WR Stephen Hill can become a "reliable piece to the puzzle."

Hill wasn't drafted by current GM John Idzik, and has been the NFL's least efficient receiver over the past two seasons despite freakish size and speed. The Jets are also going to cut Santonio Holmes. Under OC Marty Mornhinweg, the Jets are running a West Coast offense for which Hill's skill set is arguably ill suited. It's possible he'll be placed on the trade block closer to the draft.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stephen Hill could pose some sort of value to the right team.

Say, to an air-it-out sort of offense that features Josh Gordon.  

Perhaps we can bust one of those Jenkins/Baldwin swaps, try our hand at Greg Little.  I'd even consider some draft-day mobility (move up in a round) for Quentin Coples or Kendrick Ellis. 

The Jets have spent two high picks on out of the league bad players over the last 5 years. The second Hill stepped on the field you could tell this wasn't going to be good.

And to think that Tanny moved up in the draft to get this dude. What did he even see in Hill? Im telling you, it was more about D. Thomas and Megatron than it was about Hill himself. 

The Jets have spent two high picks on out of the league bad players over the last 5 years. The second Hill stepped on the field you could tell this wasn't going to be good.

LOL."The second Hill stepped on the field"? The stat-line from his first game was 5 receptions for 89 yards and 2 TD's.

A.J. Jenkins was taken 30th overall in 2012 draft by the 49ers traded to the Chiefs in exchange for Jonathan Baldwin before 2013 season:

2012 - 0 receptions for 0 yards.

2013 - 8 receptions for 130 yards.

Brian Quick was taken 33rd in 2012 draft by the Rams:

2012 - 18 receptions for 302 yards.

2013 - 11 receptions for 156 yards.

Stephen Hill taken 43rd 2012 draft:

2012 - 24 receptions for 342 yards.

2013 - 21 receptions for 252 yards.

Not that he's been good (has had some moments) or will even remain with the team this season but others have had worse swings and misses on higher picked receivers that year.  

Actually, Hill had 5 receptions for 89 yards and 2 TDs in his debut. and he peaked out...

I remember when we drafted him they said at Georgia Tech he didn't "run a route tree".  My initial thought was that this was going to be a serious project and that his first 2 years would probably be learning years. I remember thinking all along that the next team to get him will be the smart ones because he'll already have had his on-the-job training with us and the next team could sign him on the cheap and lose very little if he didn't work out for them.  Meanwhile he cost us a 2nd rounder plus a roster spot for several years.

I'd actually keep him this year, he's on a Rookie contract and not costing a fortune. What will you get for him a 7th if your very lucky?

He's a Vernon Gholston, all the gear but no idea.

He costs too much as a second round bust under the old CBA I would think but don't know the numbers

Just adding to Tanny's legacy. He now is seriously in the running for worst GM ever.

Him and Matt Millen are now 1 and 1a.

Lets see

Millen had Harrington, Tanny had Sanchez

Millen had Williams, Tanny had Hill

Millen had Rodgers, Tanny had Gholston

Wow, I don't know, you choose. Too close to call.

Lol not only that but it was one of the prettiest corner of the end zone catches I've seen in years ...not the best support for the argument

Uhh it was an under thrown contested jump ball/Hail Mary type of play.

He can't get off the line and you could see that from day 1.

I can not believe anyone listens to a damn thing Manish says. Why in the hell trade a young wr who is not coasting us hardly any cap room for a 6 or 7??

Hill has been hurt for two years, you take this tall fast wr who has a year in the system to camp and let him fight for a job.

This team is starving for wr's and people want to get rid or a young one that at least has a shot to help this team??

If they could get a 3rd round pick or higher of course you take it but that's only possible in the dream land of these forums. In the real world it's a 6 or 7.

I can not believe anyone listens to a damn thing Manish says. Why in the hell trade a young wr who is not coasting us hardly any cap room for a 6 or 7??

Hill has been hurt for two years, you take this tall fast wr who has a year in the system to camp and let him fight for a job.

This team is starving for wr's and people want to get rid or a young one that at least has a shot to help this team??

If they could get a 3rd round pick or higher of course you take it but that's only possible in the dream land of these forums. In the real world it's a 6 or 7.

Your argument seems to contradict itself. On one hand, you expound his physical abilities, you give a reason (being injured) for his lack of production, but then you say he is only worth a 6 or 7. If He's all the things you say about him, then we should get a 3 or 4, but if he is only worth a 6 or 7, then in reality, he must suck. Which is it?

Because he doesn't fight for the ball.

He needs to be wide open to catch anything and he's not fast enough and doesn't run good enough routes to get that open often enough. 

He's hurt too much for a player his age. 

He's not good at football and we might find someone even with a 6th rounder that will contribute more than this kid. 

Just adding to Tanny's legacy. He now is seriously in the running for worst GM ever.

Lets see

Matt Millen - 31-81

Tannenbaum - 57-55

TOO CLOSE TO CALL

How can you ever expect anyone to take anything you say seriously?

Lets see

Tanny may have sucked, but each one of Brick, Mangold, and Revis alone were already worlds better than anything Millen did in his entire career.  It's nothing that could be even remotely classified as "close".

Archived