6/4 OTA Report: Milliner's Hamstring Issue

flgreen

Jets OTA Report: Milliner's hamstring issue

June, 4, 2014

JUN 4

3:35

PM ET

By Kieran Darcy | ESPNNewYork.com

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- New York Jets cornerback Dee Milliner was held out of Wednesday's organized team activities with tightness in his left hamstring.

"Just precautionary," Milliner said after practice. "I'll be fine."

The Jets are counting on Milliner, the ninth overall pick in 2013, to be one of their starting cornerbacks this season. He started 12 games as a rookie, but missed last year's OTAs and minicamp with a torn labrum, missed two preseason games with an Achilles injury, and missed three regular season games with a hamstring injury.

Jets coach Rex Ryan said Milliner has been "impressive" thus far in OTAs, prior to the hamstring issue, but needs to stay on the field.

"He has to understand too that he’s gotta be in extraordinary shape," Ryan said. "His challenge will be to be in world-class shape, 'cause we gotta have you out there. He needs to be out there and he needs to get work, 'cause that’s how he’s gonna get better.

"And you saw it as the year went on last year, he got better because of the work on the practice field and in the classroom. He was taking off from there, and you don’t want to see this happen. He’s gotta step it up, because I think he’s got all the talent in the world."

Sloppy! The Jets practiced for two hours on Wednesday, with owner Woody Johnson and general manager John Idzik joining Ryan on the sideline -- and it wasn't pretty.

Neither Geno Smith nor Michael Vick looked particularly sharp at quarterback, rookie tight end Jace Amaro had multiple dropped passes, and there were several yellow flags, resulting in push-ups for the entire team and staff.

"We had like six or seven penalties today, we were blowing coverages, blowing assignments," Ryan said. "It’s a good thing we’re not playing, 'cause it was kind of ugly out there today."

Amaro, the team's second-round draft pick, had 106 catches for an FBS-record 1,352 yards last year for Texas Tech. "But he’s really been looking good until today," Ryan said.

Step right up: First-round draft pick Calvin Pryor, who finalized his contract on Monday, played with the first unit Wednesday, along with fellow safety Antonio Allen.

Dawan Landry, who started all 16 games for the Jets last season, played with the backups.

"We expect this young man’s gonna contribute in a big way for us, there’s no doubt," Ryan said, of Pryor. "I know [Landry] knows what to do. I gotta get these other two to work together and communicate together.

"That’s why you throw [Pryor] out there. You leave him out there with the ones, and let’s see what happens. Make him communicate with the other guys that are working, and we’ll see how it goes."

GO RANGERS

Gotta love how Rex gets on Milliner for missing time with a hamstring, but shuts his mouth about Eric Decker missing OTAs so he can go to the CMAs. That's good leadership right there.

I logged in feeling pretty good, but now I'm exhausted.

Gotta love how Rex gets on Milliner for missing time with a hamstring, but shuts his mouth about Eric Decker missing OTAs so he can go to the CMAs. That's good leadership right there.

He was presenting an award with his wife.  We all know Rex values family time.

One was a pro bowler and one got benched by his coach 3 times last year. Yeah they should be treated equally.

He is buttering up Decker for the eventual cuckolding

Aren't OTAs optional?  I don't think he can force Decker to be there.  Commenting on Milliner being hurt seems valid.  I just listed all his injuries in another thread to defend him.  Lars, if he is hurting his hamstrings due to lifting, they should look pretty hard at the strength coach.  They have had a sh*tload of hammy problems as a team over the last couple of years.  They didn't have them under Alosi.  I think the current guy game from Villanova. 

Milliner needs to get on the field and work. He missed so much time last year due to the shoulder injury but this offseason he needs to be on the field. I'll let it slide during OTA's but he better be out there every day during training camp.

aren't chronic hammy isssues related to poor weightlifting strategy ? I remember reading that over developed quads and neglected hammy's lead to chronic issues

I think it means he's out of shape. The Jets had a gazillion hamstring injuries under kotite before that awful guy bill parcells made mandatory off season conditioning program for all the players in 97. Almost all hamstring injuries were non existant after that. I also remember the Jets beating Miami in Miami in 98 to clinch a playoff spot and at the end of the game the dolphin wide receivers were gassed with their hands on their hips, but the jet cornerbacks and safeties weren't. Being in great shape is a tremendous advantage, Rex is right.

aren't chronic hammy isssues related to poor weightlifting strategy ? I remember reading that over developed quads and neglected hammy's lead to chronic issues

Wheres teh Falcon when you need him?

dude. Hes the teams highest paid player. Decker does what he wants. 

LOL.  You don;t have a problem with how Rex is treating Milliner and Decker. You really don't.

Aren't OTAs optional?  I don't think he can force Decker to be there.  Commenting on Milliner being hurt seems valid.  I just listed all his injuries in another thread to defend him.  Lars, if he is hurting his hamstrings due to lifting, they should look pretty hard at the strength coach.  They have had a sh*tload of hammy problems as a team over the last couple of years.  They didn't have them under Alosi.  I think the current guy game from Villanova. 

Liberate Sal

Someone is gonna have to deal with Decker being pissed off when he has about 30 catches by midseason with this collection of dreck at QB. This is an early softening of the blow of dissappointment.

have you seen Mrs Decker's feet?    that should explain some things. 

Archived