Jets @ Dolphins in London next year?

nj meadowlands

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

who the hell even watches the NFL over there?

If they want to play games elsewhere, why not play them someplace closer to home; like in Canada or Mexico.

More people than you think.  Panzer and Irish for two.  There is already a thread of guys I played with in Italy taunting me to go.  I told them sure.  I will come and watch Marcus Mariota crush the 'phins.  London is easiest cause it is a short flight and no language barrier unless you are Channing Crowder.  It is not just the Brits that go to that game.  Tons of guys from France, Germany and Italy love it.  It throws them a bone.  The NFL wants to expand.  Europe is a big money market.  Just increasing TV revenues over there is huge for them.

Loved the a.m. Game this year..make it one of those and I'll go to town with a quiche!!

DON'T TAKE MY MAN CARD!!!!

This could be another issue.  It gives an excuse for another televised game that is not in competition with the others. 

who the hell even watches the NFL over there?

If they want to play games elsewhere, why not play them someplace closer to home; like in Canada or Mexico.

Tons of people watch, that's why the league keeps sending teams over here to play. They broadcast an early game, late game, and night game every Sunday and MNF.

Cheapest flight to see the Jets.

Ever.

Still think it's a f**king retarded idea though.

The other London games:

Bills @ Jags

Lions @ Chiefs

Now what the hell have the Chiefs fans done to deserve losing a home game?

Ryanair?

Tons of people watch, that's why the league keeps sending teams over here to play. They broadcast an early game, late game, and night game every Sunday and MNF.

If there really was a genuine interest than why did NFL Europe go bust? The NFL is nothing more than a niche sport, much like soccer is over here. We see pre-season soccer games sell out too, but attendances at a one-off event are hardly a fair indication of the sport's popularity.

I guess the NFL makes more money from selling tv rights, tickets and merchandise in London than they would in Canada or Mexico. I'm still absolutely certain that football is far more popular and widely followed in those countries than it will ever be in Europe.

Chiefs fans must be furious at the thought of losing a home game to London; there is nothing to do in those parts, they build their whole week around sunday...probably tailgate a day before the game. sucks for them.

No team with a shiny new stadium will ever lose a home game to London. Even if it's a $1.4B air conditioning unit.

If the Rams move to Los Angeles the NFL will start to run out of teams to send over there. The London Jaguars is a very real possibility (Think of the Jaguar vehicle marketing campagin!). Though I can't see how they justify keeping a team located in Western Europe in the AFC South.

I think the only way London ever gets a team is if Los Angeles gets a new franchise, and not a current team re-locating to LA.

That would be 34 teams and the NFL could easily re-align the divisions.

If there really was a genuine interest than why did NFL Europe go bust? The NFL is nothing more than a niche sport, much like soccer is over here. We see pre-season soccer games sell out too, but attendances at a one-off event are hardly a fair indication of the sport's popularity.

I guess the NFL makes more money from selling tv rights, tickets and merchandise in London than they would in Canada or Mexico. I'm still absolutely certain that football is far more popular and widely followed in those countries than it will ever be in Europe.

Chiefs fans must be furious at the thought of losing a home game to London; there is nothing to do in those parts, they build their whole week around sunday...probably tailgate a day before the game. sucks for them.

A few things...NFL Europe, if I'm not mistaken was over 20 years ago and the league has grown by leaps and bounds since then. I played rugby for a little while out here a few years ago and sometimes I'd laugh when guys would be screwing around during practice and tuck the ball and say something like "Ladanian Tomlinson with a big run"...younger fans are paying attention.

The league isn't going to move a team over here without doing their due diligence to see if a team would work. The only backlash I've heard of is that the league wants Wembley to be for the NFL team and the NFL team only. Telling brits that their national soccer team can't play on that field will not go over well and will have to be resolved.

With the exchange rate being what it is, they can probably do okay even if they only sold 60% of the tickets for home games but I'm not 100% sure how that works, and if players are going to be taxed as Brits, no way they'd play in London. They'd have to work out something with that team and their salary cap if that were the case, because no way American Players would sign to play somewhere and have 40% of their money taken away by the govt.

Yep, though the b*****ds will probably double their prices that weekend.

So 40 quid for return flights. :D

Can't beat it. Probably flew to Dublin a dozen times from Stanstead and never paid more than $80.

That would be 34 teams and the NFL could easily re-align the divisions.

I despise the idea of expansion.  32 teams is perfect.  8 divisions with 4 teams each.  12 playoff teams makes a perfect ratio too; you know they'd be trying to expand to 14 or 16 if they added 2 more teams, which would water down the regular season tremendously.

As a SFLA resident who attends this game every year being mostly the only time to see the Jets along with half the stadium...this is s slap in the face! Makes perfect sense that it's Stephen Ross and Woody Johnson to sell a divisional game that may have playoff implications.

I can stomach a bad football team.

I can't stomach the bad decisions ownership makes.

Why not plan a $16,000 vacation and attend the game and represent. You can afford it.

PSLOWNERS_zpsf6c3074c.jpg

When you take shots at Woody Johnson for instituting PSL's you take shots at every diehard Jets fan that can afford them. That's not nice. Family of 4 attending live NFL games costs $5,000 a year. The 30 year PSL commitment means that the 18,000 PSL owners each spent $16,000+ for their PSL's as well as allocated $150,000+ in funds to buy season tickets through 2038.

That's what you don't understand. For someone willing to spend $150,000+ on gameday seats, another measly $16,000 for PSL's is chump-change, it's $13 a game. And while there are 82,500 seats at MetLife, it only takes a very minimal 18,000 businessmen with nice salaries in a metropolis with over 19,800,000 people to make the PSL's a success, together we fit in that small section shown on the photo. How the wealthy spends their fun money isn't your concern. What galls you is that we appreciate what Mr. Johnson did for us, returning fairness to the season ticket location process.

SAR I

Suspect we'll get a group to go. But the wives will probably go too-to Harrods. Could be more expensive than you think if you;re married. You aren't getting away with a total free weekend in Europe. Big pciture-i'ts a once in a lifetime thing. What the hell. Tip a few pints.

This has much less to do with getting the English to watch football than it does getting the 9:30 AM game back here in the U.S. on TV.

I hope this is a 930 game. My buddies in LA brag about how great it is to wake up and just start watching football and I want to experience it

I hope this is a 930 game. My buddies in LA brag about how great it is to wake up and just start watching football and I want to experience it

That's always been the point of the London expansion. After SNF something of this sort was the next logical step. This way they get you watching TV from the buttcrack of dawn until you go to bed.

That's always been the point of the London expansion. After SNF something of this sort was the next logical step. This way they get you watching TV from the buttcrack of dawn until you go to bed.

I think they originally tried that with the nfl network Gameday First at 7 am and starting Gameday morning at 9. I wonder if they found people didn't want to watch 6 hours of pre-game and this is going to be an alternative if they finally get a team in London

Archived