The 10 Best and Worst Free-Agent Deals (So Far)

Morrissey

Harris and Cromartie deals were both stupid. They are not a $16M duo.

Harris is (or should be) a 2-down LB. He has been slow for years and is entering the part of his career most associated with slowing down. And now we're tied into him for the next 2 years minimum, meaning no one else is going to be given a legitimate chance to unseat him. Everyone knew this was a foolish signing except our fans who think every Jets player who isn't truly awful is one of the best in the league. Made even worse by hiring a new HC who thus far had preached speed and getting faster and nothing else.

Whatever he once was, Cromartie is an average CB now and is only going to get worse. We had (have) 2 CBs returning from IR. The odds of both missing the season again are slim, and we were better off with more of a stopgap (what Cromartie was last year, at $3M) until one of them earns more confidence in him.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whatever he once was, Cromartie is an average CB now and is only going to get worse. We had (have) 2 CBs returning from IR. The odds of both missing the season again are slim, and we were better off with more of a stopgap (what Cromartie was last year, at $3M) until one of them earns more confidence in him.

IMO there was no reason to add Cro after we dished out 24 mil a year to corners already. I agree. Now Milliner and McDougle will barely see the field (unless injury to a starter) until we cut Cro after 2 years, and Milliner will be a FA and McDougle will be on a contract year.

We're going to be significantly under the cap next year as well as the following year, even moreso when you considering all of these contracts can be voided after two years if the players are underperforming. Additionally, the cap is going to increase about $10 million per year for a few seasons. When you consider all of this, I fail to see how we are in a pretty bad cap space.

The cap is not going up 10m per year anymore, last years increase was due to NBC boost in game rights and this years was due from direct TV going up by 400M of which 200mill is divided up by the 32 teams or a little over 6.25 mill,. These increases will not be seen again but we will go back to about 5m per year. Most estimates have the cap at 180 mill when the cba expires in 2021. an 18 game season or a team in England are about the only things that could increase it much higher than that. 

Won't be saying that a year from now if he suddenly looks his age, which is highly likely.

My take too, the guy is 32 next month and runs hard. The first 1/2 of the year he should be fine, but the older guys slow down late in the year. Indy probably goes RB in the first 3 rds also, in an attempt to keep Gore fresh. .

the values are the problem. and the guaranteed money. that's all him.

We HAVE to spend money the next 2 years. There's only so many roster spots. Some players are going to be a little overpaid.

Also, I don't any of the terms are that bad.

IMO there was no reason to add Cro after we dished out 24 mil a year to corners already. I agree. Now Milliner and McDougle will barely see the field (unless injury to a starter) until we cut Cro after 2 years, and Milliner will be a FA and McDougle will be on a contract year.

I could see if our 2 best returning CBs had shown for a couple of years they were disasters on the field. After being the #9 overall pick, Milliner had a rocky start (nothing uncommon for a rookie) plus an injury. Then he missed (essentially) the whole season in year 2. McDougle missed his one and only season after a promising camp.

To firmly entrench both of these two CBs' slots as our #4 and #5 corners was too much for 1 offseason before seeing them live. It's one thing if we were in a do or die season, where it was like our last season with Peyton Manning or Brady (or you get the idea). The 2015 Jets are nothing of the sort. Inexcusible for a new HC and GM to dismiss 2 obviously talented players without giving either one a chance.

I'd rather have locked up Wilkerson, Harrison, or both.

I could see if our 2 best returning CBs had shown for a couple of years they were disasters on the field. After being the #9 overall pick, Milliner had a rocky start (nothing uncommon for a rookie) plus an injury. Then he missed (essentially) the whole season in year 2. McDougle missed his one and only season after a promising camp.

To firmly entrench both of these two CBs' slots as our #4 and #5 corners was too much for 1 offseason before seeing them live. It's one thing if we were in a do or die season, where it was like our last season with Peyton Manning or Brady (or you get the idea). The 2015 Jets are nothing of the sort. Inexcusible for a new HC and GM to dismiss 2 obviously talented players without giving either one a chance.

The only aspect that I can kind of understand why we signed three is because Bowles's defense runs with a lot of nickel packages. But even still, I would have only signed Revis and Skrine and let Dee/Dex be the 3rd. 

I agree, inexcusable. Unless injury we won't even get to see what Milliner can do unless we resign him, and that's ridiculous. 

Miliner Is done, that Achilles is a bad injury for a cover corner. Dexter is permo injured. Relying on those two is nuts. Harris turned 31 in January.

He's just the same player he's always been, slow but a very good ILB.

We over paid some for Cro and Harris, but we had to spend cap. Next year D'Brick and Mangold get re-done and that will clear a lot of cap.

Are you guys ever happy? My god!

Bitch, bitch, bitch, we had to spend money. All of these contracts other than the Revis deal protect us in the future if we cut these players.

We went from the worst secondary in the league last year to maybe the 2nd best, or maybe the best?

Harris would have gotten MORE money on the open market. Plus he's been a great Jet nothing wrong with overpaying a guy that has played with his heart & soul for this team over the years if it doesn't stunt your cap.

This is it for Harris, his final hurrah Bowles will use him appropriately unlike Rex that has him playing in space.

Idzik screwed up by not resigning Cro, but he was hurt in his last year with us.

You guys act like this money is coming out of your pocket,lol.

Where's is this stuff about not being able to sign the rookies coming from?? After the rookie allocation, they still have a couple million or so, plus there's at least 3 players who can be cut for savings (Pace, Babin and Cumberland), plus a boatload of contracts near the bottom of the roster. How do we even know that Milliner is coming from the achilles? I for one, would be upset if they were banking on Milliner being a starter. Sheesh, as if last year was not enough of a lesson about what happens when they don't have enough DBs. They overpaid a bit for Cro and Harris, whoopteedoo. Who else were they getting to fill those spots adequately for less money?

They are in plenty good shape for next year too, even with a new deal for Mo.

Harris and Cromartie deals were both stupid. They are not a $16M duo.

Harris is (or should be) a 2-down LB. He has been slow for years and is entering the part of his career most associated with slowing down. And now we're tied into him for the next 2 years minimum, meaning no one else is going to be given a legitimate chance to unseat him. Everyone knew this was a foolish signing except our fans who think every Jets player who isn't truly awful is one of the best in the league. Made even worse by hiring a new HC who thus far had preached speed and getting faster and nothing else.

That's not necessarily true - Bowles preaches smarts.His defenses are smart.  Harris is the Brain of the defense. His value there is huge. Also Bowles is supposedly adept at putting his players in positions to excel. Nobody does it better than what Harris is capable of doing therefore he will excel as will this defense. It's only $$ (don't have a clue what the impact is on the cap and don't care if we overpaid just to say we we are shrewd though it is hard to put a price on intangibles)  - he is what the Jets need over the next 2 -3 years.

We have a GM with zero expierience in 50% of his job. He's a glorified scout. And these contracts show it.

Dude, we complained about Idzik being just the e opposite. Depending on how the QB situation pans out, I think Mac has built a playoff contender and I'm pretty happy with it

Spikes lacks the braimatter and leadership that Harris possesses. There are intangibles as an ILB that Harris provides that are invaluable.

maybe that makes for the lack of not being able to cover grandmothers on pass coverage.

The Cro signing baffles me even more than the Harris extension which was horrible in itself. There was no need to sign him to a multi year , super overpaid contract which was a lot more than even he was looking for if twitterverse is to be believed.

maybe that makes for the lack of not being able to cover grandmothers on pass coverage.

Don't worry in Bowles scheme heis not getting paid to and  doesn't have to cover grandmothers. I really don't understand the bitchin' by everyone. So the Jets paid alot for an average speed ILB who they feel is going to be invaluable to Bowles defense. So he can't cover grandmothers - he does everything else very well.

Don't worry in Bowles scheme heis not getting paid to and  doesn't have to cover grandmothers. I really don't understand the bitchin' by everyone. So the Jets paid alot for an average speed ILB who they feel is going to be invaluable to Bowles defense. So he can't cover grandmothers - he does everything else very well.

I agree 100%... if we are going to play a lot of nickel, someone is going to specialize in stopping the run besides Harrison.  I am fine with him as our defensive QB for the next 2 years.  He will never see that 3rd year.

Miliner Is done, that Achilles is a bad injury for a cover corner. Dexter is permo injured. Relying on those two is nuts. Harris turned 31 in January.

He's just the same player he's always been, slow but a very good ILB.

We over paid some for Cro and Harris, but we had to spend cap. Next year D'Brick and Mangold get re-done and that will clear a lot of cap.

Its refreshing the GM/HC aren't expecting anything from either Milliner or Dexter as they should have!

Really who the hell knows if Dexter is even good? He didn't play one down in the regular season. Please stop with that little PS hype. Milliner is questionable as a player let alone his injury history.

Face it, the Jets had no Secondary last year and for the upcoming season with out the signings.

Part of evaluating is coming up with a reasonable pay rate. 

Overpaying (or even lavishly paying a going rate, but more than the club is used to) is one thing when we're desperate, with some hole we've been unable to fill for so many years and it's cost us championships (like NE with Revis last year).

Signing guys to contracts in excess of their value causes the team to bow out of negotiations or fail to re-sign others. Watch us lose 3-4 years of Snacks over 2 years of Cromartie or Harris. 

Its refreshing the GM/HC aren't expecting anything from either Milliner or Dexter as they should have!

Really who the hell knows if Dexter is even good? He didn't play one down in the regular season. Please stop with that little PS hype. Milliner is questionable as a player let alone his injury history.

Face it, the Jets had no Secondary last year and for the upcoming season with out the signings.

I do. 

That's not necessarily true - Bowles preaches smarts.His defenses are smart.  Harris is the Brain of the defense. His value there is huge. Also Bowles is supposedly adept at putting his players in positions to excel. Nobody does it better than what Harris is capable of doing therefore he will excel as will this defense. It's only $$ (don't have a clue what the impact is on the cap and don't care if we overpaid just to say we we are shrewd though it is hard to put a price on intangibles)  - he is what the Jets need over the next 2 -3 years.

Cromartie is not smart. Please.

You are portraying what you want to see onto a largely unknown coach.

NOBODY does it better than Harris? Like you've looked around and evaluated every ILB/MLB in the NFL, watching and following them painstakingly over the years, and lo and behold it's David Harris that is better than anyone in the NFL? I think we all know the basis of this evaluation is borne of a combination of fandom and hope.  Had we not re-signed him and then he went to Buffalo for the same contract, it would have been resoundingly mocked here over the course of hundreds of posts by the same people saying it was smart for the Jets.

Archived