Former first-round pick Coples impressing new Jets regime

Jetfan13

This season is a big one for Quinton Coples, the Jets' rush outside linebacker, Darryl Slater of NJ.com reports.

Yes, the Jets have picked up the fifth-year option in his rookie contract, which means they can retain him for 2016 — if they want to.

The Jets don't have to make a decision about Coples' 2016 contract status until next March.

At least one person in the Jets' organization likes what he's seen from Coples so far. That would be the Jets' new outside linebackers coach, Mark Collins.

"He plays with very good violence," Collins said. "He can set the edge in the run. He can finish plays in the run game. He can push the pocket. He can affect the quarterback. It doesn't mean he's always going to sack the quarterback, but he can affect the quarterback. I definitely think his arrow is pointing up." 

It sounds like head coach Todd Bowles and Collins envision Coples doing a bunch more pass rushing, and less coverage — especially compared to what he did last year.

"If you're just looking at it from a common sense [standpoint], you've got a 280-pound guy, so naturally, you want him to rush the passer versus drop into coverage," Collins said. "Obviously, for him, you want him rushing the passer more than you want him dropping into coverage. But in the same sense, we're demanding, and we want him to be able to do both."

Through three seasons, Coples has accumulated modest sack numbers — 5½ as a rookie, 4½ in 2013, and 6½ last season. Still, when Collins examined Coples' film, the coach wasn't discouraged by the lack of sacks.

"I think in a lot of ways, numbers sometimes can be overrated," Collins said. "He does a lot of things. He may not have great sack production, but he does a lot of other things very well. I know he has aspirations to change that production, and I have full confidence that he will. But I think there are a lot of things that he does well."

that line "violence" is absolutely true. Anyone who watches the games can attest. The dude ended MJD and Locker's years, possibly their careers. when he gets loose Coples is like Frankenstein 

you would think that a coach would figure a way to get him more open looks into the backfield.    I really hope they work it in the game plan to give him more shots at the QB/RB. 

"If you're just looking at it from a common sense [standpoint], you've got a 280-pound guy, so naturally, you want him to rush the passer versus drop into coverage," Collins said. "Obviously, for him, you want him rushing the passer more than you want him dropping into coverage. But in the same sense, we're demanding, and we want him to be able to do both."

Common sense? Maximizing players abilities?

Crazy talk.

you would think that a coach would figure a way to get him more open looks into the backfield.    I really hope they work it in the game plan to give him more shots at the QB/RB. 

in pure pass rush situations, he needs to line up inside.

How about you make a prediction instead of annoying sarcastic comments

He's a huge SOJF douche that no one likes. He would rather be miserable and read whiny posts and articles then talk about how awesome Coples is going to be this year.

This is the first season Q will play with Revis and Company behind him. In 2012 he was a rookie and Revis went down game 2 and never played another down for the Jets. The 2015 DB's and Revis will not only help Coples but everyone else on the front 7..

He's a huge SOJF douche that no one likes. He would rather be miserable and read whiny posts and articles then talk about how awesome Coples is going to be this year.

This is your last warning. We're only allowed to talk about the mods this way.

I don't remember pissing in your cheerios but if its that time of the month for you, stay away from the keyboard please. You've been on the site for barely a month and calling people douche and punks.

"Oh yeah Coples is going to be awesome. Im so ******* pumped. Bryce Petty is a future hall of famer. ZOMGGGG Im so excited". Does my piss taste sweet now?

/pushes glasses up bridge of nose

//stands up

///raises hand

////pulls shirt down over belly

Umm I think you mean "Frankenstein's monster." "Frankenstein" was the name of the scientist.

By virtue of the brain donor, wasnt his monsters name Abby Normal?

A few more of those nasty scartoos and Coples may qualify.

I don't remember pissing in your cheerios but if its that time of the month for you, stay away from the keyboard please. You've been on the site for barely a month and calling people douche and punks.

"Oh yeah Coples is going to be awesome. Im so ******* pumped. Bryce Petty is a future hall of famer. ZOMGGGG Im so excited". Does my piss taste sweet now?

OK... that was pretty funny!

that line "violence" is absolutely true. Anyone who watches the games can attest. The dude ended MJD and Locker's years, possibly their careers. when he gets loose Coples is like Frankenstein 

emphasis on when.  It simply seems he could do more...  whether its that he is played out of position or its effort.

At UNC, the knock on him was he took plays off.  It seems to have carried to the pro level.

This is the first season Q will play with Revis and Company behind him. In 2012 he was a rookie and Revis went down game 2 and never played another down for the Jets. The 2015 DB's and Revis will not only help Coples but everyone else on the front 7..

Common sense football.......  Good post.

Yep.  Dudes a monster.  All he needs that half a second longer in coverage and half those hurries are sacks.  

Who is not a huge SOJF douche?  I need a list.  Something like:

Real fans:

Fake fans:

Huge SOJF douche fans:

People you hate:

Wannabe Noles fans:

the new coaches seem to have watched UNC film. he is meant to pass the rusher and not be a coverage guy..not perfect, just the way it is.. remember LT w/Giants,,he rarely dropped in coverage,, he rarely lined up as a LB, he was on line of scrimmage ready to rush passer..

I thought Coples had a chance to be a super star coming out of college. It's a little troubling that he couldn't break out for a guy like Rex, but I am hopeful that Bowles will do a better job of getting the most out of Coples. Bowles seems like the kind of guy that will adapt to his players (while Rex was all about making players fit HIS system).  If he is ever going to break out, this is the year (and the same can be said of Pryor). But even if he doesn't break out he is still a very solid player, even if he isn't on the same level as Mo/Sheldon. 

emphasis on when. It simply seems he could do more... whether its that he is played out of position or its effort.

At UNC, the knock on him was he took plays off. It seems to have carried to the pro level.

Someone called the wahmbulance

the new coaches seem to have watched UNC film. he is meant to pass the rusher and not be a coverage guy..not perfect, just the way it is.. remember LT w/Giants,,he rarely dropped in coverage,, he rarely lined up as a LB, he was on line of scrimmage ready to rush passer..

Are you saying that defensive guru Rex didnt know how to handle him??? :)

Archived