Sanchez done in Denver?

AFJF

22 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

1.  They needed 2 QB's.  So even when they'd paid Sanchez $4M, they were offering Fitz $7M.  They viewed Sanchez as a backup.

2.  They drafted a QB in the first round.  It made perfect sense that they only needed a "hold the fort" guy.  Very different situation from us, who drafted 2 project QB's.

3.  Having said that, Sanchez couldn't even "hold the fort".  Fitzpatrick is an unquestioned starter this year.  Yet you view Sanchez as the equal or better QB.  Fitz has been a starter in this league for the better part of a decade and is coming off a season where he threw for 4,000+ yards, 31 TD's and was a top 5 reason we won 10 games.  Multiple franchises now view Sanchez as a clipboard carrier, and not even a good one considering he might be unemployed tomorrow.  Pretty significant difference there.

I dunno the Broncos signed MS well before the draft, and they were not certain to have Lynch available at their pick.  If someone else had picked Lynch, they were not going to go for the next Qb up just to get a Qb in the first round.  And they did at least look at Kaepernick. 

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Pac said:

Made more money, made the playoffs, won playoff games, made the NFL's final 4 twice in a row helping his team win in the process.

If you don't think that's a better career than 1 season with more than 7 wins then "ahahahah" indeed.

In twice as many games, Fitzpatrick has a <60% completion percentage to Sanchez's 56...

Unless you weren't watching the games the rest of us were watching, Rex's Jets were power running teams which makes it that much worse. I think it's more like, teams had success in spite of Sanchez, not because of him.

John Elway himself literally handed Sanchez the starting QB position for the defending Super Bowl champs...he was leap frogged by two backups... and is days from being cut.

2 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

I dunno the Broncos signed MS well before the draft, and they were not certain to have Lynch available at their pick.  If someone else had picked Lynch, they were not going to go for the next Qb up just to get a Qb in the first round.  And they did at least look at Kaepernick. 

I understand.  But when they signed Sanchez, they also had ZERO quarterbacks on the roster.  They needed a body in there, and Sanchez fit the bill at the time.  That does not mean they viewed him as an unquestioned starter when they brought him in. 

They then subsequently traded up in the draft to get Lynch, showing that they did want to make sure they got "their guy", and not just wait and see who they could get at a later pick. 

1 minute ago, Big Blocker said:

The Broncos wanted Kap after they lost Osweiller but Kap was unwilling to take a pay cut and the 49ers weren't going to eat the amount of money left on his deal that Elway asked them to do. The Elway bottom line on signing a Qb was 7 mil per season. He knew he needed money to pay Von Miller esp after they lost Malik Jackson. The question for SF is would they make that Elway deal now. And would Denver do it. Maybe an exchange of Qbs, Mark for Kap with a lot of money thrown in by Denver but not as much as SF wanted. And would Elway take on all of this controversy about the National Anthem. I mean you think of Colorado as Conservative but obviously not on every topic. That's for sure. 

19 hours ago, Pac said:

Pretty terrible failure by Sanchez here.  Had an spectacular chance to resurrect his career with great talent on both sides of the ball. 

He'll find a backup job somewhere but those playoff games are a distant memory.  Gracias for those great couple January runs.

Pretty much. He was in the perfect situation to reclaim his career and it couldn't have possibly gone worse. There's no other way to spin it. Not a good day for Sanchez.

41 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Calling dibs on the schadenfreude karma posting three years from now where I get to explain to Jets fans that ridiculing Sanchez's Denver stint basically guaranteed Paxton Lynch becoming MVP but we took Hackenberg who led a drive in preseason once.

Still waiting on that Sanchez "ascension" you predicted back when he joined forces with Chip Kelly.

9 hours ago, Pac said:

Made more money, made the playoffs, won playoff games, made the NFL's final 4 twice in a row helping his team win in the process.

If you don't think that's a better career than 1 season with more than 7 wins then "ahahahah" indeed.

I think your perception of Sanchez is warped by those good years.

Here's the reality -- if we had a good QB on those '09 and '10 teams we probably win a Super Bowl. He was flat out bad in 2009, a handicap the rest of the team (No. 1 defense, No. 1 running game) had to overcome. And he was well below average in 2010 as well, with a few standout games to his credit.

He's a career 74.3 QB rating passer best remembered for the Butt Fumble. Fitzpatrick is a mediocre journeyman (great backup, poor starter) but I think you'd be in the small minority arguing he hasn't had a better career than Sanchez, particularly when you consider the expectations for both guys. 

1 hour ago, Freemanm said:

Sanchez isn't going anywhere. in fact, he's going to do well in Denver for the same reasons he did well with the Jets in years 1 and 2: he doesn't have to do anything. Denver's got a great defense and OL, like the Jets had in those years. Peyton Manning didn't have to do much last year, did he? In the playoffs, his defense scored most of the team's points and forced turnovers that were converted into FGs. It would be the same thing for Sanchez. All he has to do is not screw up. 

Except that he hasn't done very well in preseason compared to his competition, one an unknown third stringer and the other a rookie.  IMO, if Sanchez isn't cut, it will only be because the Donkeys figure "better the devil you know than the devil you don't".  IOW, he'll only stick because the alternatives are so bad.

1 hour ago, Freemanm said:

Sanchez isn't going anywhere. in fact, he's going to do well in Denver for the same reasons he did well with the Jets in years 1 and 2: he doesn't have to do anything. Denver's got a great defense and OL, like the Jets had in those years. Peyton Manning didn't have to do much last year, did he? In the playoffs, his defense scored most of the team's points and forced turnovers that were converted into FGs. It would be the same thing for Sanchez. All he has to do is not screw up. 

i'd agree with you. But it looks like they don't want him and prefer Simien. At least short term until Lynch is ready and that could be this year. With Mark just let him run a base offense with no frills like he did with us in years 1 and 2. Once Schotty took the blinders off for Mark that was his downfall. But between the 20's he can sometimes get the job done. IMO he's his own worst enemy. You know what they say: a man's got to know his limitations. He doesn't. With success he starts thinking that he's Elway. 

On Boomer and Carton this morning, Cowher, after a pause did not think the Jets would make the playoffs this year. Defense could be dominant, but the schedule is too hard, and if you think about it the AFC looks pretty tough-KC, NE, Steeler, Broncos,Ravens, Houston will be better, Raiders could be better, Jax improving, Titans potentially.  That being said, there are surprises in the Playoffs every year.

But in any event, the Jets need to continue to build to compete.  4 QBs seem luxurious given the potential at WR.

It will be the OL that is the ultimate reason the Jets stumble this year.

Some believe the Jets are a good team, how good is anyone's guess. If the defense is great they could surprise but they can't lose to the Jill's and Fish and be considered anything more than average. That's four wins they need to cover the loses to the better teams.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Pretty much. He was in the perfect situation to reclaim his career and it couldn't have possibly gone worse. There's no other way to spin it. Not a good day for Sanchez.

I was the biggest Sanchez supporter while he was with us. I think it was his second or 3rd year that he started the season with 8 TD's and no INT's and I thought he finally turned the corner. But just a few weeks ago the guy took a knee during a stop the clock for a game-winning FG drill in training camp....he took a friggin knee! Sanchez is a complete headcase and is totally done. 

21 hours ago, Pac said:

Pretty terrible failure by Sanchez here.  Had an spectacular chance to resurrect his career with great talent on both sides of the ball. 

He'll find a backup job somewhere but those playoff games are a distant memory.  Gracias for those great couple January runs.

Broncos are making a mistake if they cut Sanchez.  Simian and Lynch did not look good the other night

Only a select few didn't see this as a very real possibility.  He has now been beaten out by Sam Bradford, Nick Foles and a seventh round QB in year 2.  Time for Sanchez to walk away from the game?

19 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Broncos just named Simein their starter on opening day.

sanchez is done

8 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Wow. Trever Simein is the starter. Shows they want to keep Lynch out of the spotlight for a bit. Sanchez is done as a starter. Dallas might give him a call

Sanchez was given a dream scenario and blew it.  Really puts a dent in any argument that Sanchez lacked weapons and coaching here or anywhere else.  He just sucks.  Plain and simple.  Chip Kelly knows it, John Elways knows it, and now basically the whole league can put to bed any argument against it. 

Even those who are pro-Sanchez can only say he USED to be good (even though he wasn't).  No argument to be made that he hasn't sucked for 5+ years.

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I understand.  But when they signed Sanchez, they also had ZERO quarterbacks on the roster.  They needed a body in there, and Sanchez fit the bill at the time.  That does not mean they viewed him as an unquestioned starter when they brought him in. 

They then subsequently traded up in the draft to get Lynch, showing that they did want to make sure they got "their guy", and not just wait and see who they could get at a later pick. 

I certainly did not mean to suggest I think Denver thought Sanchez was unquestioned starter material.  They are far from that stupid.  I just meant to indicate the way things worked out was not like some smooth plan they had in place every step of the way.

10 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Wow. Trever Simein is the starter. Shows they want to keep Lynch out of the spotlight for a bit. Sanchez is done as a starter. Dallas might give him a call

The Cowboys options for a backup QB:

1.  Mark Sanchez

2.  Geno Smith

Sucks to be them.

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Sanchez was given a dream scenario and blew it.  Really puts a dent in any argument that Sanchez lacked weapons and coaching here or anywhere else.  He just sucks.  Plain and simple.  Chip Kelly knows it, John Elways knows it, and now basically the whole league can put to bed any argument against it. 

Even those who are pro-Sanchez can only say he USED to be good (he wasn't).  No argument to be made that he doesn't suck. 

Never bought into the weapons argument with Sanchez here.  He had the NFLS number 1 rushing game, OL and the NFLS number 1 defense.  He had weapons with Cotchery, Braylon, Santonio Holmes and a decent receiving TE.  He still managed to turn the ball over too often in the worst possible moments and be a bottom of the league QB.  

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Never bought into the weapons argument with Sanchez here.  He had the NFLS number 1 rushing game, OL and the NFLS number 1 defense.  He had weapons with Cotchery, Braylon, Santonio Holmes and a decent receiving TE.  He still managed to turn the ball over too often in the worst possible moments and be a bottom of the league QB.  

Of course that argument was silly.  But even the staunchest Sanchez supporters now have to basically admit that even if he had three Megatrons to throw to, he'd still find a way to suck. 

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Of course that argument was silly.  But even the staunchest Sanchez supporters have to admit that even if he had three Megatrons to throw to, he'd still find a way to suck. 

And make each and every one of those Megatrons suck too.

Megatron would have retired years ago

Sanchez is broken. Not sure if the Jets broke him or he just came that way. Not sure if he had better coaching, or had to earn the spot, or got to wait a year things would have been different. But, clearly, he is broken. The Jets took a chance, paid little to move up to get him, but in the end, he is broken. Considering the number of QBs that fail to make the transition to NFL, you can't blame the Jets for trying, but he is done - put a fork in him... 

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Even those who are pro-Sanchez can only say he USED to be good (even though he wasn't).  No argument to be made that he hasn't sucked for 5+ years.

No argument can be made that Fitz hasn't sucked 10 out of 11 years and was mediocre with a great supporting cast last year.

You know something Sanchez did for a couple years that Fitz has never done?  Played well in big games.  Fitz' playoff game was last Jan in Buffalo and he looked like the same piece of crap he has for the last 11.  

I repeat..  For anyone other than bitter Jet fans Sanchez has had the better career than Fitz and it's not that close.

8 minutes ago, Pac said:

No argument can be made that Fitz hasn't sucked 10 out of 11 years and was mediocre with a great supporting cast last year.

You know something Sanchez did for a couple years that Fitz has never done?  Played well in big games.  Fitz' playoff game was last Jan in Buffalo and he looked like the same piece of crap he has for the last 11.  

I repeat..  For anyone other than bitter Jet fans Sanchez has had the better career than Fitz and it's not that close.

yet sanchez may not be in the nfl this season, or ever.  fitz is playing his best now.

Archived