Bill Cowher--Spelling edit(sorry Bill!!)

whodeawhodat

With everyone throwing out names of HCs for next year in the event that Bowles is fired.  The top of my list goes to Bill Cower.  I thought for sure he was waiting for the GMEN HC vacancy to open up but when that came and went, he is still available.  

For the record, I think Bowles has another year minimum but if we were to make a change, Cower takes it.

Long live the chin!

7 minutes ago, SAR I said:

1. He's not coming out of retirement.

2. No Super Bowl winning head coach would ever take a job with a team without a franchise quarterback.

We are never going to get a top-name head coach with Petty and Hackenberg as the bait.

SAR I

Gruden, for the record, has a very odd and unconventional love for Hack.  That said, I doubt he leaves his broadcast job.  He's the less crazy version of Jim Harbaugh and is basically the only Coach I'd be ok with firing Bowles for.

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

Gruden, for the record, has a very odd and unconventional love for Hack.  That said, I doubt he leaves his broadcast job.  He's the less crazy version of Jim Harbaugh and is basically the only Coach I'd be ok with firing Bowles for.

Gruden loves every qb.  I remember him talking about how good Tebow would be in the NFL

18 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Cowher might actually be a possibility if he wanted to coach again but he doesn't.  Ditto for Gruden they are burned out and just want to live in retirement calling games on TV 

There were rumors going around at the time of his retirement that he wanted the Giants coaching gig.  Not sure if it was because of location or ownership.

12 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

May as well hold on to Bowles for 14 years because that is how long it took him to win a super bowl.  Cowher would be even more conservative than bowles and would be a lousy fit.

Hopefully what he learned in his 14 years he wouldnt have to relearn.  Seemed like a sound coach, enough discipline and enough emotion.

46 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Better chance of me making out with Scarlett Johanson tonight than of Cowher coming out of retirement to coach the jets

I strongly disagree!!!

I am a personal friend of Ms. Johanson, and she has been scoping out your posts for months out here!!! :)

1 hour ago, drdetroit said:

Gruden loves every qb.  I remember him talking about how good Tebow would be in the NFL

The Tebow who has MORE PLAYOFF Starts  AND playoff WINS @ QB than all 4 of our opening day roster QBs combined?

Shirley . . .  you Jest!

20 minutes ago, CotcheryifyouCan said:

josh mcdaniels /ducks

darrel bevel /ducks

nick saban (yea right) he would never leave for here

sean peyton if he can shake loose

I would go for McDaniel easily.  He was not ready when he got his 1st gig he has probably learned a thing or two.

Having said that all of this coach spec is just talk bowles is going no where for at least one if not two more years, we better all get used to it.

Football isn't the same, owners aren't the same and certainly fans aren't the same. It took Cowher how long to win the SB? He'd come back from retirement - and after 4 years if no SB, fans would throw a fit - 'dumb Woody giving a long term deal to has-been'; 'I never liked Cowher; thought he was over-rated', etc.

I know people are tired of rookie HCs, but retreads have the same (or similar) problems. If they were that good, they would still be with their team (of course there are a few exceptions), if they have retired it is likely the game has passed him on, etc.

No matter who Woody/Macc would hire, if he wasn't winning playoff games within 2 years, or after getting into the AFCCG, and then having 2 bad years, fans would be screaming for a change.

Look at the Giants before Eli and the Stealers before Rapesburger. To win the SB takes some luck, magic, and either a franchise QB or an average QB and a completely stacked team. Currently, the Jets don't have either. Nor are we stacked with day 1/2 draft picks. If we were, we would have a chance at attracting a top tier HC. Coaches these days want security. Only way to get that is to have a great team and a perennial playoff contender. Try that in the same division as the Pats.

This team is still in low-talent mode. Until then you can forget about the cream of the coaching community coming here...

2 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

Football isn't the same, owners aren't the same and certainly fans aren't the same. It took Cowher how long to win the SB? He'd come back from retirement - and after 4 years if no SB, fans would throw a fit - 'dumb Woody giving a long term deal to has-been'; 'I never liked Cowher; thought he was over-rated', etc.

I know people are tired of rookie HCs, but retreads have the same (or similar) problems. If they were that good, they would still be with their team (of course there are a few exceptions), if they have retired it is likely the game has passed him on, etc.

No matter who Woody/Macc would hire, if he wasn't winning playoff games within 2 years, or after getting into the AFCCG, and then having 2 bad years, fans would be screaming for a change.

Look at the Giants before Eli and the Stealers before Rapesburger. To win the SB takes some luck, magic, and either a franchise QB or an average QB and a completely stacked team. Currently, the Jets don't have either. Nor are we stacked with day 1/2 draft picks. If we were, we would have a chance at attracting a top tier HC. Coaches these days want security. Only way to get that is to have a great team and a perennial playoff contender. Try that in the same division as the Pats.

This team is still in low-talent mode. Until then you can forget about the cream of the coaching community coming here...

There has to be a head coach out there that wants the challenge of taking down the Patriots.....and making the NY Jets a Super Bowl winner. 

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Just stop.  Neither Gruden nor Cowher is unretiring to coach again, much less coach the no-account Jets.

Totally agree. While the odds are likely greater for Gruden than Cowher, since he didn't coach for nearly as long and is more likely to feel an itch to scratch, I don't see either giving up their cushy TV jobs for a thankless gig with the Jets to soil their intact reputations. 

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

There has to be a head coach out there that wants the challenge of taking down the Patriots.....and making the NY Jets a Super Bowl winner. 

I am sure there are, but not sure they are either Cowher, Gruden, McCarthy, or Coughlin. And, if they were (or someone else), not sure this board would welcome them, nor does it mean that we would be winning (or participating in) a SB anytime in the near future.

The last team to come from nowhere to win a SB in short order was Seattle and that was a perfect storm of a lot of picks, complete rebuild, 3rd time is the charm HC (not previous SB winner) and getting damn lucky with a QB (not from 1st round). With the Jets luck, what are the odds. I am afraid our best chance for victory is slow and steady with a HC that hasn't won the big game. Just my opinion.

Someone like Cowher has to give up his life (balance was a big deal for him) and take a big risk (right now he is a proven winner) on a team without a QB or picks for a shot at another SB win. Unless he is begging to get back into coaching we are not a good fit. And, if he is ready, he could probably walk into 5 other franchises with a quality QB that isn't winning - why pick the jets? He can take down the Pats by beating them in the playoffs or the SB. And, if he really wanted to do it from the AFCE, why not got to Buffalo where he can stay forever or MIami where Mike T will bet the future on a 4 year window for him (both of which have a better QB situation than us)?

11 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Totally agree. While the odds are likely greater for Gruden than Cowher, since he didn't coach for nearly as long and is more likely to feel an itch to scratch, I don't see either giving up their cushy TV jobs for a thankless gig with the Jets to soil their intact reputations. 

They both have rings.  They both are now famous "TV personalities" to a degree they'd never be on the sidelines.  They both make money in excess of what they'd make on the sidelines, for doing 1/100th the amount of work/effort they'd have to do on the sidelines.

No matter how "itchy" they might get, sanity will win the day.  They are both clearly on the John Madden career path.  Win title.  Get bacon.

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

They both have rings.  They both are now famous "TV personalities" to a degree they'd never be on the sidelines.  They both make money in excess of what they'd make on the sidelines, for doing 1/100th the amount of work/effort they'd have to do on the sidelines.

No matter how "itchy" they might get, sanity will win the day.  They are both clearly on the John Madden career path.  Win title.  Get bacon.

He'd have to get some ludicrous offer, like $15M/yr for 5 years, so he's still happy even if it (ok, when) it ends in disaster. And since when is Gruden worth all that anyway? 

They're going to let the Bowles experiment run its course, whenever it is that does end. Then they'll hire some other seriously flawed DC or DB coach. 

25 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

He'd have to get some ludicrous offer, like $15M/yr for 5 years, so he's still happy even if it (ok, when) it ends in disaster. And since when is Gruden worth all that anyway? 

They're going to let the Bowles experiment run its course, whenever it is that does end. Then they'll hire some other seriously flawed DC or DB coach. 

I'd love to disagree, but fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me, fool me three times, four times, five times.......etc.

6 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I've heard several reports saying he has no interest in coming back.  Something about enjoying time with his family, or something.

True, but it's not far fetched for someone to say that in case he didn't get the deal he wanted. "I didn't want to coach again anyway."

Despite that claim, he's surely received informal feeler offers. 

I don't see what's in it for him. Odds are he'll never win another ring anyway, he doesn't (or shouldn't) need the difference in $ over his commentator job, and all week long all year around he has his whole life to live with no stress.

8 hours ago, SAR I said:

1. He's not coming out of retirement.

2. No Super Bowl winning head coach would ever take a job with a team without a franchise quarterback.

We are never going to get a top-name head coach with Petty and Hackenberg as the bait.

SAR I

Does the name "Bill Parcells" ring a bell?

Archived