jets should trade down in this draft

jets rooter

2 minutes ago, HessStation said:

There will probably be at least one QB in this draft that ends up being a star. The Jets should draft him. Cocksucking piece of Sh....

The big moment ion this coming draft is going to be when one of these guys falls into the 2nd round to the Jets.  Would mac have the balls to pick a QB there?

Just now, HessStation said:

It's actually not that hard. Unless you're a dumpster fire of a franchise like the Jets or Browns.

You can't just trade down on your own - you need someone wanting to trade up. The reasons I keep hearing for trading down in Round 1 is that that is where the value is in this draft. So who's going to want to trade out of those "value" spots?

If a QB slides to 6th that another team covets but we don't, you can trade down and get some quality picks. Otherwise, we are likely going to need to pick. Based on the way the draft seems to be playing out, it will likely be an OLB; I wouldn't mind Williams if he slips. I would hate to draft a RB in the top 10; hell, i would rather draft a S that high over RB. But, the draft is a long way off and there bounds to be some shuffling...

16 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

If a QB slides to 6th that another team covets but we don't, you can trade down and get some quality picks. Otherwise, we are likely going to need to pick. Based on the way the draft seems to be playing out, it will likely be an OLB; I wouldn't mind Williams if he slips. I would hate to draft a RB in the top 10; hell, i would rather draft a S that high over RB. But, the draft is a long way off and there bounds to be some shuffling...

Tough to see too many teams willing to trade up to get a QB.

Teams picking after us who conceivably might take a QB first round :

Chargers - might be interested in Rivers' successor? Unlikely this high, and they could just sit tight if they do want a guy

Bills - likely unless they work things out with Taylor; unlikely we'd trade with them

Saints - Brees' successor maybe? Unlikely to want to trade up for a future guy

Browns - but if they covet a guy at 6, why not take him at 1?

Cards - better chance here, as Palmer is declining

Giants - Eli's successor? Definitely not an urgent situation

Texans - erase the Oswelier error / missing piece for the playoffs

I see 2-3 teams max that would be interested ... and the only way one of those three trades up is to jump the other two teams (which could only need a move to 9 to get ahead of the Bills).

So realistically you have two potential trade partners, IMHO ... Cards (13) and Texans (25). Moving up from 25 would be quite a jump, are the Texans willing to go all in on a guy this year? Or would they consider Savage a better option? Cards would have less distance to move.

I still reckon the chances are slim that a team moving up with trade with us specifically - if they really have to have a guy, 6 would be awfully risky with so many more QB needy teams ahead of us. And if a guy did fall to 6, the next likely team to pick him after us would be at 10, so it'd be easier to work out a deal with Cincy @ 9.

A team like the Browns could trade up from their 2nd 1st round pick to get a Qb if they use their 1st pick on another player.

This is one of the rare years a team could possibly trade up for a RB or WR.  This league is an imitation league and if some team thinks Fournette or Cook is the next Elliot that might be a possibility.  Also there seems to be quite a divide between Mike Williams and the next best WR prospect.  Lot's of teams with young 'franchise?" Qbs that need weapons.

8 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

A team like the Browns could trade up from their 2nd 1st round pick to get a Qb if they use their 1st pick on another player.

Surely though, if your sold on a QB enough to trade up for him, you wouldn't ever leave him on the board for 3 or 4 QB needy teams to all reject before you can then snag him later?

1 minute ago, jamesr said:

Surely though, if your sold on a QB enough to trade up for him, you wouldn't ever leave him on the board for 3 or 4 QB needy teams to all reject before you can then snag him later?

They need a QB so if they love one of these guys they will take him.  If they just like a Qb and love a guy like Myles Garrett then they may take Garrett.  Last year Philly essentially traded up for either Wentz or Goff.

On 1/15/2017 at 3:51 PM, Il Mostro said:

Trading down from the top pick or two gets you something.  Trading back from #6 gets you ugatz.  Dumb friggin' move -- stay put and just get the pick right .

That's what I'm saying. Everyone always wants to trade down and so many people say it to look smart, but you rarely have that option. Forget all the podcasters (not you, Joe and Glen) that harp on this week in and week out - you can't just will it to be done. So forget about stockpiling picks. Just get some damn picks right for once.

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 10:20 PM, Rangers9 said:

Please yes. Don't take another D player like we do every year and trade back for the O-line. I want two linemen like we got ten years ago. 

OL is old and pedestrian. Signing Winters helps a bit but hurts money wise as Mac overpayed for him. But what else is new when it comes to Mac.  I've seen enough of mac to have lost any confidence in him making prudent decisions. 

7 hours ago, Snell41 said:

You do not trade down until draft day unless you get an overwhelmingly unfair offer in your favor. You must wait and see who's on the board before making a deal.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Someone should have told Terry Bradway. He traded up and down from our original 1st round picks, before the draft even started, twice in his last 3 drafts. Then for some reason he got demoted. 

15 hours ago, jamesr said:

You can't just trade down on your own - you need someone wanting to trade up. The reasons I keep hearing for trading down in Round 1 is that that is where the value is in this draft. So who's going to want to trade out of those "value" spots?

I just meant the finding a franchise QB part.

6 hours ago, Powpow said:

OL is old and pedestrian. Signing Winters helps a bit but hurts money wise as Mac overpayed for him. But what else is new when it comes to Mac.  I've seen enough of mac to have lost any confidence in him making prudent decisions. 

Year three for both of them is a big deal. As for Mac I think he was strapped with having to do a couple of political moves by the owner like signing Revis for unbelievable money. The holdout with Fitz last year made no sense at all. If they wanted him back sign him to the one year deal they eventually signed him to. He was willing to take it at least two months earlier than he signed. Believe me it didn't help the team at all. Mac has had his share of good moves and draft picks and UFA signings like with Robbie Anderson. He shouldn't be fired I'd give him 3 more seasons to get this straightened out. If 2017 is a disaster though Woody will clean house. I think the Jets have the talent to be competitive. . 

On 1/15/2017 at 4:23 PM, Stonehands said:

Sounds great to say, "let's trade down", but someone has to want to trade up.  That means an impact player is there that someone values enough to mess up their draft to go get.  Do you want to give up the ability to take that player ourselves so that we can get another mid round pick and settle for a lesser player? We need players, but more than that we need good players.  BPA all the way.

Trade down with the Browns, who will want to trade up from 12 for a QB. 

So yes, you give up the ability to draft a QB and take the Browns #12 pick along with the first pick in the second round. You finally see what you have in Hack and Petty in extended time. You give them a chance to battle in camp and preseason. You sign a vet (Hoyer?) just in case- or maybe you DON'T even do that, maybe you draft a QB later on- take a flyer on a Chad Kelly type. If they both fail at least you know and you can move on. At least there should be some nice QB prospects next year and hopefully the team is better b/c you traded down and added more talent. 

The way this draft seems to be shaping up there are 3 QBs that can go in the top 10 EASILY but NONE are 'sure-fire' prospects and the Browns, in desperate need of one, will probably NOT want to take him #1 overall (passing on Garrett) but will be willing to trade up for one from 12 (because they have 2 second rounders). 

This is a win-win deal for the Jets and Browns. Of course, a QB the Browns like would have to be there at 6 and the Jets would have to not be in love with a different player at that pick (Fournette for example). 

Here's a novel approach to this year's draft - STAY PUT AND GET THE PICKS RIGHT!  This is something the jets have clearly not done in a very long time, and it's absolutely killed the franchise.  Get it right year after year and then you wont be scrambling to get more picks to cover the lack of depth on the team. 

28 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

Here's a novel approach to this year's draft - STAY PUT AND GET THE PICKS RIGHT!  This is something the jets have clearly not done in a very long time, and it's absolutely killed the franchise.  Get it right year after year and then you wont be scrambling to get more picks to cover the lack of depth on the team. 

Nobody 'gets it right' year after year lol. There are just too many variables.

And there's a little something called player development. So although I will concede that there were some picks that Macc clearly whiffed on (J.Harrison, D.Smith) and clearly hit on (L.Williams, D.Simon) MOST (pretty much the whole 2016 draft) are in the process of developing and are question marks. He's had 2 drafts so its hard to argue that HE (although I recognize your ref. to the organization as a whole) has not been successful drafting for a long time. 

For me (assuming Garrett is off the board), you either take Fournette as a BPA pick, or you take a QB (ONLY if you are in love with one)- otherwise you trade down. And, in all likelyhood, the Jets will have an opportunity to trade down with a team that needs a QB. There are 3 QB needy teams in the top 5 (SF, CLE, CHI) and there are 3 top QB prospects right now (Trubinsky, Watson, Kiser). Cleveland most likely will not take a QB #1 overall- passing on Garrett. There is simply no sure-fire QB in this draft to make that move. Its quite possible that SF passes on a QB as well, although lets assume they take one. CHI still has a financial commitment to Cutler- but its also likely they want to move on from him. So lets assume they take a QB as well. That still leaves ONE top 3 QB prospect on the board. The odds that all 3 teams take QBs is very unlikely. The Jets will almost certainly have an option to take a top 3 QB prospect or take a trade from another team who wants him.

And if all 3 QBs are drafted top 5. Well, guess what, that leaves either Allen, Fournette, or Garrett available to the Jets at #6. Again, either for them to take said player or for a trade down scenario. The worsk case scenario is that a QB is there for the Jets that they don't like and nobody seems to value that highly OR that all 3 QBs are takes and so is Fournette and Garrett, leaving Allen- which makes it a tough choice for the Jets b/c of his position (D-line). They could still finagle a trade down but it would be tougher b/c the other team knows they most likely will not take him.

Well you can look at it from both angles. If two years ago we had traded down we wouldn't have gotten Leonard Williams. A guy who is living up to being a 6th overall pick. But a lot of players taken that high do not pan out to be elite and Pro Bowl players. You can make a case for many guys taken later in the first round. And then of course there are guys like Beckham who we wanted but were not high enough to get him that year. So considering our needs I'd trade down and try to get two good players. Unless there is a lights out candidate. I really don't want to draft another top D player in that slot. It has not always worked out for us like it is with Williams. 

The more I watch Garrett Bolles, TJ Watt and Quincy Wilson the more I want to trade back into the 20's. I think the lack of depth at QB and OL this year might be a blessing in disguise. If we don't address DB and pass rush this year there's no way we'll have as good a crop to pick from next year.

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

We should trade our first this year & Sheldon Richardson to Cleveland for:

Their two 2nd rounders this year and their first next year. This woukd give them 3 top 10 picks this year...us with 3 high 2nd round picks this year and 2 high firsts next.

Why would Cleveland do that? Why would they want Sheldon? Sheldon would be lucky to be traded for a 4th at this point. 

45 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Why would Cleveland do that? Why would they want Sheldon? Sheldon would be lucky to be traded for a 4th at this point. 

Actually based on that scenario, and the trade chart, the picks basically even out and we would basically be giving Sheldon away for nothing.  Still don't see Cleveland doing it, but trade value wise, its even or tilted in their favor.

On 1/14/2017 at 10:20 PM, Rangers9 said:

Please yes. Don't take another D player like we do every year and trade back for the O-line. I want two linemen like we got ten years ago. 

Pretty much no chance of getting a Brick and Mangold in this years first 

Archived