2004 NFL Draft

The_Butt_Fumble

Gang Green missed out on a franchise QB when the Steelers draft Big Ben one pick before the Jets drafted Jonathan Vilma. The rest is history.
  Rnd. Pick # NFL team Player Pos. College Conf. Notes
  1 1 San Diego Chargers Eli Manning  QB Ole Miss SEC traded to New York Giants[7]
  1 2 Oakland Raiders Robert Gallery  OT Iowa Big Ten  
  1 3 Arizona Cardinals Larry Fitzgerald  WR Pittsburgh Big East  
  1 4 New York Giants Philip Rivers  QB NC State ACC traded to San Diego[8]
  1 5 Washington Redskins Sean Taylor  S Miami (FL) Big East Deceased
  1 6 Cleveland Browns Kellen Winslow II  TE Miami (FL) Big East from Detroit[9]
  1 7 Detroit Lions Roy Williams  WR Texas Big 12 from Cleveland[9]
  1 8 Atlanta Falcons DeAngelo Hall  CB Virginia Tech Big East  
  1 9 Jacksonville Jaguars Reggie Williams  WR Washington Pac-10  
  1 10 Houston Texans Dunta Robinson  CB South Carolina SEC  
  1 11 Pittsburgh Steelers Ben Roethlisberger  QB Miami (OH) MAC  
  1 12 New York Jets Jonathan Vilma  LB Miami (FL) Big East

5 hours ago, The_Butt_Fumble said:

Since they drafted Joe Namath, the NY Jets forgot how to draft a franchise QB. It's beneath them. 

In 1965 the Jets drafted Joe in the 1st and 3 other QB's within the first 7 picks..2nd rd John Huarte,4th rd Bob Schweickert and Archie Roberts rd 7...:)

The point is that good football organizations like the Steelers and the NY Giants secured franchise QBs in the 2004 NFL draft.

Gang Green has had nothing but a windmill of inconsistency since 2004.

Season(s) Quarterback (Games)
2016 Ryan Fitzpatrick (11) / Geno Smith (1) / Bryce Petty (4)
2015 Ryan Fitzpatrick (16)
2014 Geno Smith (13) / Michael Vick (3)
2013 Geno Smith (16)
2012 Mark Sanchez (15) / Greg McElroy (1)
2011 Mark Sanchez (16)
2010 Mark Sanchez (16)
2009 Mark Sanchez (15) / Kellen Clemens (1)
2008 Brett Favre (16)
2007 Chad Pennington (8) / Kellen Clemens (8)
2006 Chad Pennington (16)
2005 Brooks Bollinger (9) / Vinny Testaverde (4) / Chad Pennington (3)

12 minutes ago, The_Butt_Fumble said:

The point is that good football organizations like the Steelers and the NY Giants secured franchise QBs in the 2004 NFL draft.

2013 Geno Smith (16)
2011 Mark Sanchez (16)
2010 Mark Sanchez (16)
2008 Brett Favre (16)

Wait, you're saying the Jets never have a good QB? Really?

#hottake

21 minutes ago, The_Butt_Fumble said:

2013 Geno Smith (16)
2011 Mark Sanchez (16)
2010 Mark Sanchez (16)
2008 Brett Favre (16)

The point is you don't know what you're talking about.  The Jets didn't need a QB

Seriously? The good NFL franchises secure a QB they can build a team around for 15 years. The Jets, Bills, and Dolphins have failed to do that while teams like the Patriots, Giants, Packers, Saints, Falcons, Colts & Seahawks draft a franchise QB and win. It's rare to acquire A franchise QB via free agency or a trade like the Broncos did with Peyton Manning. When Gang Green acquired Farve, they had instant credibility. Even with Vinny Testaverde. Yet; both Farve & Testaverde did well, and succeeded until they had injuries. 

8 minutes ago, The_Butt_Fumble said:

Seriously? The good NFL franchises secure a QB they can build a team around for 15 years. The Jets, Bills, and Dolphins have failed to do that while teams like the Patriots, Giants, Packers, Saints, Falcons, Colts & Seahawks draft a franchise QB and win. It's rare to acquire A franchise QB via free agency or a trade like the Broncos did with Peyton Manning. When Gang Green acquired Farve, they had instant credibility. Even with Vinny Testaverde. Yet; both Farve & Testaverde did well, and succeeded until they had injuries. 

So, wait, you're saying the good teams have found good QB's and the bad teams have failed to find good QB's?   Holy sh*t man, this is an unbelievable discovery you've made. 

Bro, why are you posting on this site?  You got talents for days, son. 

8 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Reggie Williams. I remember picking that guy as my rookie fantasy sleeper that year and it did not work out so well.

We cannot draft Mike Williams this year no matter what.  There has never been a good WR named Williams.  I went back as far as the 1990 draft.

1 hour ago, The_Butt_Fumble said:

I'm a Gang Green fan from The Joe Namath days. Now I'm sitting on the sidelines drinking Absinthe!!! All I can say to you is Jonathan Vilma. Seriously???

Own it, dog.

The Absinthe must have messed with your memory.

In 2004 the Jets had Chad Pennington entrenched as their starting QB. In 2002 he came off the bench and led the team to a division championship, and a 41-0 win over the Colts and Manning in the playoffs. In 2003 he suffered his suffered his first major injury - his wrist - in the preseason. He returned in week 9 with the team 2-6 and led them 4-4 down the stretch.

Why (besides for your hindsight) would the Jets be using a 1st round pick in 2004 on a QB?

I don't get it.  Is this another one of those "Why didn't the Jets draft that guy that was picked before their selection threads?"  You wanted the Jets to draft a QB in the first round in 2004?  There was one available when they picked: J.P. Losman.  Should they have picked him? I told you the Jets should have drafted Mariota and Beckham!

Ben has passed for nearly 50,000 yards and you wanted to stick with Chad? Am I missing something? Most of all, were the Jets cajoled into believing that Ben would never be a better QB than Chad? OMG. SERIOUSLY?

and the rest is history. We're stuck with the never ending windmill of over a dozen QBs since that draft, and the Steelers have won a Super Bowl and are a perennial contender. 

I'm a Jet fan, but come on . . . Are you people kidding me???

4 hours ago, The_Butt_Fumble said:

2013 Geno Smith (16)
2011 Mark Sanchez (16)
2010 Mark Sanchez (16)
2008 Brett Favre (16)

Good football organizations? Just because they drafted a QB that wasn't bust, doesn't mean they were good organizations. It just means they got lucky their QB happened to work out for them. I can point where they failed numerous times in the first rounds. A lot of it is luck. Jets drafted Sanchez and he seemed like he was ready to take the next step until we took way all his WRs and stopped his development. Not many QBs have four playoff victories on their resumes. Its not like we haven't tried to find that franchise QB. We've just been unlucky. How are Patriots a good organization drafting their franchise QB in the 6th round? If they knew what he would become, I can assure you they would've picked him up in the first round even if the rest of the world thought he was a 6th round talent. Luck is very important when it comes to drafts. sh*tsburgh and Gnats aren't "good organizations" for drafting their QBs (technically, Giants didn't even draft Eli). 

17 minutes ago, The_Butt_Fumble said:

Ben has passed for nearly 50,000 yards and you wanted to stick with Chad? Am I missing something? Most of all, were the Jets cajoled into believing that Ben would never be a better QB than Chad? OMG. SERIOUSLY?

and the rest is history. We're stuck with the never ending windmill of over a dozen QBs since that draft, and the Steelers have won a Super Bowl and are a perennial contender. 

Personal attacks aside, you're either an idiot or a troll. Seriously - what kind of actual Jets fan would sign up to a message board with that user name?

f7b6a4ee18c9f7e6622fd7b1e7f0c893.jpg

11 hours ago, The_Butt_Fumble said:
Gang Green missed out on a franchise QB when the Steelers draft Big Ben one pick before the Jets drafted Jonathan Vilma. The rest is history.
  Rnd. Pick # NFL team Player Pos. College Conf. Notes
  1 1 San Diego Chargers Eli Manning  QB Ole Miss SEC traded to New York Giants[7]
  1 2 Oakland Raiders Robert Gallery  OT Iowa Big Ten  
  1 3 Arizona Cardinals Larry Fitzgerald  WR Pittsburgh Big East  
  1 4 New York Giants Philip Rivers  QB NC State ACC traded to San Diego[8]
  1 5 Washington Redskins Sean Taylor  S Miami (FL) Big East Deceased
  1 6 Cleveland Browns Kellen Winslow II  TE Miami (FL) Big East from Detroit[9]
  1 7 Detroit Lions Roy Williams  WR Texas Big 12 from Cleveland[9]
  1 8 Atlanta Falcons DeAngelo Hall  CB Virginia Tech Big East  
  1 9 Jacksonville Jaguars Reggie Williams  WR Washington Pac-10  
  1 10 Houston Texans Dunta Robinson  CB South Carolina SEC  
  1 11 Pittsburgh Steelers Ben Roethlisberger  QB Miami (OH) MAC  
  1 12 New York Jets Jonathan Vilma  LB Miami (FL) Big East

Wasn't that the same draft that NE got Vince Wilfat in?

6 hours ago, The_Butt_Fumble said:

Real easy to talk about the teams who's draft picks become franchise QBs 10 years down the road.  Lot harder the year Pennington was picked.   

The Giants etc at the time could just as easily drafter bums.  Other than sucking the year that 3 franchise QBs were in the draft what did the Giants do to get theirs? They would have won picking any of the 3

The Colts drafted Elway, Peyton and Luck but are still a sh*tty franchise. Your argument is invalid.

In fact, Elway was so sure the Colts were f*cked that he made sure he'd never have to play there. He then proceeded to win 3 Super Bowls with the Broncos: 2 as a player, 1 as GM (or VP, whatever).

In that same span the Colts won just 1 Super Bowl, and that was only because they faced a team with Rex Grossman at QB.

The Colts suck.

3 hours ago, The_Butt_Fumble said:

Ben has passed for nearly 50,000 yards and you wanted to stick with Chad?

Yeah, I can't believe we passed on Roethlisberger!  Or Rivers!  Or Manning!!  What were we thinking???

If we were any kind of good organization, we would have just run up to the podium before those guys, possibly wearing a disguise.

4 minutes ago, The_Butt_Fumble said:

Ok. So the Jets passed on Teddy Bridgewater. We were JUST DUMB ENOUGH to pick Gene Smith. Even after watching him toss a mulligan the Pinstripe Bowl. And let me see if I understand what actually led to the infamous Butt Fumble. They draft him, and proceed to build no offense around him.

No offense, but a midget league QB knows enough not to slide into one of his offensive lineman's ass.

Interesting draft.  

So, knowing what we know now, the Jets are picking 6th, who do they pick?

Ben obviously is an option.  Teams back then let QBs linger for awhile, although he did play for Miami (OH).

I think we are bummed if we get Kellen Winslow II.

Archived