Process Of Elimination Is Steering Us Right At Ryan Fitzpatrick

SAR I

Unless the Jets are looking for a QB that has one to two contracts in him like a Cousins, Mccarrons (no) or possibly a Kaepernick (hope not) to be a long term starter I couldn't care less who the stop gap option is because it really does not matter. 

If the Jets are truly looking to re-build then they will be looking to do it via the draft and with the 2 young QB's they currently have on the roster so who really gives a damn if it's Cutler or Fitz or a guy like Hoyer 

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, SickJetFan said:

I think he would be perfect mentor, game plan translator, and backup for Petty/Hack...now that Chan is gone there will no longer be this dependency for him to start either.

10 hours ago, SAR I said:

That's it.  Simple.

SAR I

Makes total sense ...Its not going to be about winning this year its going to be like evaluating this entire team including the coaches as we move forward with the re-build. 

That being said anyone who thinks this team has even a remote chance to win is crazy . I see some are dissapointed with the Jets in free agency but they did exactly what they needed to do.

I also see no reason at all for people to be upset with the Job Macc did his first 2 years He did what he was told to do and now he has probably sold the owner on the fact this team NEEDS to re-build, build up cap space and work the draft until we are competitive again and then we can make a FA splash to fill needed holes to get us over the top. 

5 minutes ago, faba said:

Do not know if you are serious but there is no chance that happening from either side-thankfully

No chance?  I wouldnt be so sure.  I know it was cryptic but why did Geno say "dont be surprised" on his twitter account?  They've talked to him about coming back.  That conversation has definitely happened.

I'd venture to say that the team is more likely to bring back Geno than Fitz.  A year ago, I wouldnt have thought that.  I was almost convinced it would be Fitz but after the season he had and coming out and sh*t talking the entire organization after holding them hostage the way he did....I think Geno has a better shot at a return than Fitz.

You know what type of guy is not a good mentor, veteran presence for a young team looking to build an identity - the guy mainly responsible for creating a dumpster fire of a season while collecting $10+ million.  

Sports is a rare profession where everyone knows exactly what their co-workers make and when one of the highest paid players on the team is not only not pulling their weight, but is throwing int after int, while refusing to be the game manager that he is, while collecting a huge check its a problem with the other players.  Winning games makes individual players more valuable and in turn helps them in their next contract. 

Fitz crushed this team in 2016 and the players wont forget it and welome him back - he will never wear a jets uniform again

I think these two posts basically sum up this proposition:

43 minutes ago, BCJet said:

You know what type of guy is not a good mentor, veteran presence for a young team looking to build an identity - the guy mainly responsible for creating a dumpster fire of a season while collecting $10+ million.  

Sports is a rare profession where everyone knows exactly what their co-workers make and when one of the highest paid players on the team is not only not pulling their weight, but is throwing int after int, while refusing to be the game manager that he is, while collecting a huge check its a problem with the other players.  Winning games makes individual players more valuable and in turn helps them in their next contract. 

Fitz crushed this team in 2016 and the players wont forget it and welome him back - he will never wear a jets uniform again

He can't come back to the Jets because he hosed this over last year.  He held out too long, did not train, and did not play responsibly.   He uncharactistically complained in a pfess conference.

43 minutes ago, JiF said:

Why?  He's basically the same thing as all these other dudes the Jets are tied to.  

But yes, he is basically the same QB as the Jets are looking at, the only difference being the bad past that the Jets have with him.

In 2015 I wasn't a fan of signing Fitz. I associated him with his Buffalo time even though I hadn't really watched him play that much. So my conception of him was a guy who played well and won a contract and then played poorly and got cut. I was hoping in 2015 they would sign Hoyer. But Fitz won me over by his play on the field. And the way the team accepted him as their starting Qb. We had the best offense we had in years so to me it was a no-brainer to re-sign him. But stupid to make him hold out. We had everything going our way after a successful and surprise year in 2015 and then the FO decided to play games. To me it threw a wrench into what we had going for us. When you have success you don't screw around with it. I think it was also the thinking of Mac (because they did re-sign him and never seriously considered anybody else) but fighting with your starting Qb over a couple of million dollars wasn't worth it. But despite coming in so late into camp etc. Fitz as a vet Qb should have been able to deal with all of this. And he didn't. So I wouldn't re-sign him here. First because the fans don't want him back. And the team needs to go in a different direction. I'd go with either Cutler or Kap for 2017. Not McCown or Fitz or Daniel. Of those last 3 I'd take Daniel even though McCown is a good player. But too many injuries. Daniel is a guy who has never had a chance to start but is well thought of by coaches he's played for. 

Fitzpatrick said last year that he "doesn't care about the big picture, he just wants to be out there playing."

That doesn't sound like a guy who is eager to take on a mentorship role to a couple of guys who in all likelihood aren't good QBs.

13 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

In 2015 I wasn't a fan of signing Fitz. I associated him with his Buffalo time even though I hadn't really watched him play that much. So my conception of him was a guy who played well and won a contract and then played poorly and got cut. I was hoping in 2015 they would sign Hoyer. But Fitz won me over by his play on the field. And the way the team accepted him as their starting Qb. We had the best offense we had in years so to me it was a no-brainer to re-sign him. But stupid to make him hold out. We had everything going our way after a successful and surprise year in 2015 and then the FO decided to play games. To me it threw a wrench into what we had going for us. When you have success you don't screw around with it. I think it was also the thinking of Mac (because they did re-sign him and never seriously considered anybody else) but fighting with your starting Qb over a couple of million dollars wasn't worth it. But despite coming in so late into camp etc. Fitz as a vet Qb should have been able to deal with all of this. And he didn't. So I wouldn't re-sign him here. First because the fans don't want him back. And the team needs to go in a different direction. I'd go with either Cutler or Kap for 2017. Not McCown or Fitz or Daniel. Of those last 3 I'd take Daniel even though McCown is a good player. But too many injuries. Daniel is a guy who has never had a chance to start but is well thought of by coaches he's played for. 

To give Macc the benefit of the doubt, it would appear that he had the right idea for Fitz a year ago.  Three year contract, start first year and back-up mentor the young QBs the second 2, with incentives if he started.  That was genius and the right approach.  Fitz got greedy, and Mac tried to hold the line.  We all suspect that Woody panicked and pushed Macc to sign Fitz.  The rest is history.  Unfortunately, we can't put that toothpaste back in the tube.  

Macc also appeared to have the right idea with Mo.  He was pressured to resign Mo to save the caproom to resign Fitz-the franchise tag was too expensive.

On the flipside, the Jets and league have and are considering ponying up big money and/or draft picks for the likes of Garoppolo (2), Siemian (6), Cousins (4) and McCarron (5), while the Jets QB draft picks under Idzik and MacC-Smith (2), Boyd (7), Petty (4) and Hack (4) are quasi-worthless.   When you add Devin Smith and Jarvis Harrison, the spotlight this draft/season should be equally on Macc and Bowles.

17 hours ago, rangerous said:

imho, just say no.  not that fitz wouldn't be a good candidate for a team looking for a transitional starter/backup but he was in the middle of whatever s**t went down in the locker room.  it's better if the jets do a scattershot and get rid of the troublemakers and then not bring in the guys who may be thought to be innocent. geno, shelly, pryor, marshall, and fitz should rightly not be on the team. i might be inclined to throw wilk in there but his cap hit is way too much.

I fail to see how Fitzpatrick caused any locker room dissension.  It's not like we had a better quarterback option.  Fitz was pulled at the right time, Geno was inserted which was the right thing to do, and then Geno immediately got hurt.  From that point forward, any Jet player realized that Petty and Hackenberg weren't viable options.

As for the troublemakers, Revis is gone, Marshall is gone, Geno is going, Richardson is trade bait, Wilkerson is on a tight leash.  Those were the players that we know were involved in drama.  This theory that Fitzpatrick divided the locker room is ridiculous.

SAR I

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

As for the troublemakers, Revis is gone, Marshall is gone, Geno is going, Richardson is trade bait, Wilkerson is on a tight leash.  Those were the players that we know were involved in drama.  This theory that Fitzpatrick divided the locker room is ridiculous.

SAR I

Well..if a player has to put his future in the hands of a QB who holds a team ransom, and he shlts the bed the way Fitz has for 10 years...  thats enough for any player have some disdain.  If FITZ ever plays for the Jets again, im done. We suck because of bad personnel moves over a 40 year period. Its that simple.

2 hours ago, JiF said:

It's actually leading them right back to Geno Smith...

No.

Geno Smith is not in the Ryan Fitzpatrick mindset.  Geno is angry, he thinks he should be someone's starter, he thinks he's heading to the Hall Of Fame.  Fitzpatrick is pushing 40, he knows he's not a starter, if he plays at all it will be as someone's emergency quarterback and mentor, I think he wants to be a coach.

If the Jets go Geno (or Kaepernick or the like) then we are abandoning Petty and Hackenberg and bringing in a bridge quarterback to whomever we are drafting this April or next April.  If the Jets go Geno, it means Petty and Hackenberg are busts and I don't think Maccagnan is ready for that type of admission.  In the case of Hackenberg, he hasn't even seen the field yet.

SAR I

6 minutes ago, varjet said:

To give Macc the benefit of the doubt, it would appear that he had the right idea for Fitz a year ago.  Three year contract, start first year and back-up mentor the young QBs the second 2, with incentives if he started.  That was genius and the right approach.  Fitz got greedy, and Mac tried to hold the line.  We all suspect that Woody panicked and pushed Macc to sign Fitz.  The rest is history.  Unfortunately, we can't put that toothpaste back in the tube.  

Macc also appeared to have the right idea with Mo.  He was pressured to resign Mo to save the caproom to resign Fitz-the franchise tag was too expensive.

On the flipside, the Jets and league have and are considering ponying up big money and/or draft picks for the likes of Garoppolo (2), Siemian (6), Cousins (4) and McCarron (5), while the Jets QB draft picks under Idzik and MacC-Smith (2), Boyd (7), Petty (4) and Hack (4) are quasi-worthless.   When you add Devin Smith and Jarvis Harrison, the spotlight this draft/season should be equally on Macc and Bowles.

Look Fitz decided to go to a one year deal and lost money because of it. It could have been settled months earlier for the same price. And Fitz would have been in camp and practicing with the team. The Jets decided they wanted him back. They could have signed someone else. This off season a number of players are signing one year deals and betting on themselves. It didn't work out for Fitz. Most of it was his own fault because he played poorly. But not all of it. If he'd of been in camp earlier maybe a different story. Not just with his play but with the entire team. IMO  team psychology was at a high point after 2015 even though they lost on week 17 (but a close game). And the Jets FO are the ones who messed with that. 

20 minutes ago, Kevin L said:

Fitzpatrick said last year that he "doesn't care about the big picture, he just wants to be out there playing."

That doesn't sound like a guy who is eager to take on a mentorship role to a couple of guys who in all likelihood aren't good QBs.

The big sucking sound of silence he's heard in the first week of free agency is going to change his mind right quick.

The guy is smart, he's got a ton of money as he doesn't spend much, and he's going to be left with three options:

1.  Retire
2.  Sit around and wait for someone's starter to pull a Bridgewater in August.
3.  Take a comfortable backup job as a QB exit strategy and the start of a potential coaching career path.

I think he's a #3.  And the Jets role is tailor-made for him.

SAR I

1 hour ago, EM31 said:

I have to say that this thread is pretty funny.  Much of SAR's stuff leaves me cold but this time I think he is on to something ;)

Listen, if I were trolling I'd be saying Fitzpatrick would be our starter this year.

I am not saying that.

I'm saying that the tea leaves are looking like we are going to go with Petty/Hackenberg, draft Trubisky or someone like that, and therefore need a veteran clipboard holder and that guy would be Ryan Fitzpatrick and that makes a ton of sense.

SAR I

9 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I fail to see how Fitzpatrick caused any locker room dissension.  It's not like we had a better quarterback option.  Fitz was pulled at the right time, Geno was inserted which was the right thing to do, and then Geno immediately got hurt.  From that point forward, any Jet player realized that Petty and Hackenberg weren't viable options.

SAR I

whether he was part of the dissension or not is immaterial.  imho he was the rallying point for the shelly geno pryor contingent because he signed too late and geno had already established himself (in his own mind) as the qb.  so there are probably others who are still with the team who wouldn't want to see fitz's smiling face walk through the door. it's just time to move on.

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

The big sucking sound of silence he's heard in the first week of free agency is going to change his mind right quick.

The guy is smart, he's got a ton of money as he doesn't spend much, and he's going to be left with three options:

1.  Retire
3.  Take a comfortable backup job as a QB exit strategy and the start of a potential coaching career path.

SAR I

no arguing that they should be looking for a guy like fitz but i just don't think it can be fitz.

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Listen, if I were trolling I'd be saying Fitzpatrick would be our starter this year.

I am not saying that.

I'm saying that the tea leaves are looking like we are going to go with Petty/Hackenberg, draft Trubisky or someone like that, and therefore need a veteran clipboard holder and that guy would be Ryan Fitzpatrick and that makes a ton of sense.

SAR I

The Jets have no business bringing in a QB they know for a fact cannot start, and Fitzpatrick is a guy they know can't start. At least Chase Daniel is a lottery ticket. 

8 minutes ago, SAR I said:

1.  Retire

SAR I

Fitz is a smart guy who could possibly help the youngsters.

I wouldn't hate the move as long as:

1. Bowles is under orders to never play him, under any circumstances.

2. Fitz himself is willing to accept the part of a de facto coach who just happens to wear a uniform.

18 hours ago, SAR I said:

Let me start by saying he's not my dream quarterback and I would much prefer him not on the Jets this year, but if you look at the situation somewhat objectively, look at the type of team we are going to be, and look at the type of veteran quarterback we're looking for, Ryan Fitzpatrick makes a lot of sense.

And when you look at the quarterbacks being locked up or courted, we're at the bottom of the barrel anyway, we're looking at guys who would either be disruptive because they are used to being on a high horse (Cutler, Kaepernick), harmful because they view themselves as abused and unloved (Geno, RGIII), useless because they've never shown anything and would be trying to overtake the young kids we are trying to groom as their last chance (Daniel, Barkley), or raw rookies who would not be suitable backups or mentors (Trubisky, Watson).

So where do we go from there?  Well, if you check the boxes on experience, age, mentoring, ability, and demeanor, you wind up at the doorstep of Ryan Fitzpatrick who, as an added bonus, knows both of our young quarterback prospects, has a rapport with them, and lives in New Jersey.

SAR I

nope.  Next.....

12 minutes ago, slats said:

The Jets have no business bringing in a QB they know for a fact cannot start, and Fitzpatrick is a guy they know can't start. At least Chase Daniel is a lottery ticket. 

Or indeed bringing in one whose bridges have been well and truly burned with the fan base let alone the GM and Head coach.

On the other hand tea leaves can be right tricky and highly subjective so who are we to tell SAR what those leaves are saying to him.

17 minutes ago, slats said:

Well, we did that with Mark Brunell and he did a good job in helping a 22 year old acclimate to the NFL.  Petty the starter, Hackenberg the backup, Fitzpatrick with a clipboard and a shoulder to cry on.  It feels like that's where we're headed.  And if it's not Fitzpatrick, it's going to be a Fitzpatrick-type, older guy, not a starter, good person, can work with young kids, will develop a rapport with Bryce and Christian, etc.

And Fitzpatrick is the best Fitzpatrick-type out there.  And Petty and Hack like the guy.  And he lives in Jersey and (probably) doesn't want his 9th relocation in the last 13 years.  Thus it makes a lot of sense if the Jets are looking to let one of the redshirt twins start.  If not, if we're looking for a real NFL starting quarterback, Ryan Fitzpatrick of course is not the guy.

SAR I

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

Well, we did that with Mark Brunell and he did a good job in helping a 22 year old acclimate to the NFL.  Petty the starter, Hackenberg the backup, Fitzpatrick with a clipboard and a shoulder to cry on.  It feels like that's where we're headed.  And if it's not Fitzpatrick, it's going to be a Fitzpatrick-type, older guy, not a starter, good person, can work with young kids, will develop a rapport with Bryce and Christian, etc.

And Fitzpatrick is the best Fitzpatrick-type out there.  And Petty and Hack like the guy.  And he lives in Jersey and (probably) doesn't want his 9th relocation in the last 13 years.  Thus it makes a lot of sense if the Jets are looking to let one of the redshirt twins start.  If not, if we're looking for a real NFL starting quarterback, Ryan Fitzpatrick of course is not the guy.

SAR I

I'd rather Hackenberg wipe his boogers on a QB capable of starting if need be. 

And I doubt Fitz is turning down many offers due to location issues. It's not like his family isn't used to moving for his career. The problem is that no one is bothering to call. 

38 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Well..if a player has to put his future in the hands of a QB who holds a team ransom, and he shlts the bed the way Fitz has for 10 years...  thats enough for any player have some disdain.  If FITZ ever plays for the Jets again, im done. We suck because of bad personnel moves over a 40 year period. Its that simple.

Ryan Fitzpatrick did not hold the team for ransom.

Mike Maccagnan was being cheap and blinked first.  The Jets could have gone with Geno Smith or a number of other potential starters.  They wanted Ryan, they had to pay his price.  He's a Harvard graduate with a net worth of $24M.  He doesn't need to play anymore unless it's worth his time.  And, by the way, he was only paid $3.3M the year before for a record-setting performance.  Look what Brock Osweiller got.  Look what Mike Glennon is set up for. 

Ryan Fitzpatrick cost us $7.5M a year for the two years he was here, that's ridiculously positive in the Jets favor.  The money argument regarding Ryan Fitzpatrick is laughable.  A reminder of the cash these players took home in our 5-11 2016 season:

$22.0M Muhammed Wilkerson
$17.0M Darrelle Revis
$9.5M Brandon Marshall
$7.5M David Harris
$6.5M Buster Skrine
$6.8M Darron Lee

I've got news for you:  Despite his brutal year last year, Ryan Fitzpatrick outperformed all of those bums.

SAR I

37 minutes ago, rangerous said:

no arguing that they should be looking for a guy like fitz but i just don't think it can be fitz.

But if Fitz is the best Fitz out there, why not just sign Fitz?

I still don't see any evidence of any locker room disruption by him at all.  That's discussion forum fake news used by MyHero's to support an argument that Geno Smith isn't that bad.

SAR I

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

But if Fitz is the best Fitz out there, why not just sign Fitz?

Because the majority of us aren't season ticket holders and we don't care about seeing an extra win or two live. Doesn't matter at all. Going 1-15 is better than going 4-12, which is pretty much the maximum amount of difference that Fitz makes on a roster this bereft of talent. 

Archived