NFL Insider John Clayton laid off by ESPN

joewilly12

12 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Actually, I think the media tries too hard to dictate the pulse of the country, rather than respond to it. 

I think the media focuses too much on antagonizing the country instead of covering it.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think the media focuses too much on antagonizing the country instead of covering it.

Absolutely agree, and that is on both sides equally. Seems people like to be pissed off, and the media is happy to piss them off if it leads to better ratings.

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I would disagree with the part about ESPN knowing what they're doing content-wise. It's a giant, lumbering company that is way behind in terms of dealing with digital media and younger viewers in general. When you see what stories they try to push, you realize that they're basing their programming off of hashtags and web traffic, which means they're already a week or so behind every story. Consider how hard they went in on covering Barry Bonds, and steroids in general--both were intriguing storylines to non-sports fans, but sports fans in general didn't give a sh*t. IMO, what you're seeing now is a network going down the toilet, throwing a bunch of trash at the screen and hoping it brings in that erstwhile non-sports guy and woman who don't really know any better.

Totally agree, but they are also way behind in this aspect too. There are a ton of other channels who have that covered that also somewhat cater to the non-sports guy and woman who don't know any better.

1 minute ago, NoBowles said:

Absolutely agree, and that is on both sides equally. Seems people like to be pissed off, and the media is happy to piss them off if it leads to better ratings.

Was explaining this to my brother yesterday. Fox's rating are down and MSNBC's are way up for the same reason that JetNation's traffic goes way up when the Jets suck and flatlines in those rare instances where the Jets are decent. Anger is communal and fun to share; contentment, you keep that to yourself.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Was explaining this to my brother yesterday. Fox's rating are down and MSNBC's are way up for the same reason that JetNation's traffic goes way up when the Jets suck and flatlines in those rare instances where the Jets are decent. Anger is communal and fun to share; contentment, you keep that to yourself.

The problem is, Americans are too dumb to realize that what CNN, FOX, MSNBC, etc. are reporting is biased crap designed to rile them up rather than give them info. So they take it as info, and it makes matters worse. This country is so Fk'd. Hell, humanity is really so Fk'd.

7 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Totally agree, but they are also way behind in this aspect too. There are a ton of other channels who have that covered that also somewhat cater to the non-sports guy and woman who don't know any better.

No doubt. Watching an hour of ESPN, you get a few highlights, then a segment where a chick in a cocktail dress is interviewing an actor/rapper, then a segment where some dudes are making hockey jokes, then an unfunny panel show where old beat reporters make snide remarks about Bryce Harper and Kobe Bryant. Who's watching that? 

Just now, NoBowles said:

The problem is, Americans are too dumb to realize that what CNN, FOX, MSNBC, etc. are reporting is biased crap designed to rile them up rather than give them info. So they take it as info, and it makes matters worse. This country is so Fk'd. Hell, humanity is really so Fk'd.

I'll drink to that!

3 hours ago, NoBowles said:

I love how you have singled out Fox, while blatantly ignoring that CNN, CNBC and all the far, far left media outlets all do the exact same thing.

You are really trying to get banned. I have had it with your bullshit.

1 hour ago, NoBowles said:

No politics. No racism. You have been warned a million times.

Today we have a special offer on 7 day bannings. They come with no need for the moral outrage, so you can spare us that. Everyone else here is guilty we get it.

Don't post racist stuff here when you return in 7 days. Maybe it is funny to you, it isn't to us. We normally only do lifetime bans, so if you choose to come back just post Jets. If you choose not to, thanks for your posts and take care.

11 hours ago, T0mShane said:

When's the last time anyone tuned into ESPN to find the score of a game, or to see how their favorite team is shaping up for the season? Answer: 10 years ago. Your iPad gives you all of that information before you get out of bed in the morning. ESPN has no place in the information market, so they've turned to spectacle-analysis, no different than what Fox News has done. Is it intellectually bereft and targeted to morons? Yes. But that's just because morons are the only ones who watch TV anymore.

Cold. Blooded. 

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

No politics. No racism. You have been warned a million times.

Today we have a special offer on 7 day bannings. They come with no need for the moral outrage, so you can spare us that. Everyone else here is guilty we get it.

Don't post racist stuff here when you return in 7 days. Maybe it is funny to you, it isn't to us. We normally only do lifetime bans, so if you choose to come back just post Jets. If you choose not to, thanks for your posts and take care.

Can we start a pool for what his new username will be?

13 hours ago, T0mShane said:

When's the last time anyone tuned into ESPN to find the score of a game, or to see how their favorite team is shaping up for the season? Answer: 10 years ago. Your iPad gives you all of that information before you get out of bed in the morning. ESPN has no place in the information market, so they've turned to spectacle-analysis, no different than what Fox News has done. Is it intellectually bereft and targeted to morons? Yes. But that's just because morons are the only ones who watch TV anymore.

Just Fox News huh. I was so with you too..

ESPN was the premiere sports network back in the day when die hard fans watched the Super Bowl for the game and halftime was just a normal length show filled with commentary about the actual game. In order to increase the $, the NFL has become a show where people host Super Bowl parties to watch the commercials and for stars to put on pyrotechnics and sing along.

In order to compete (and drive a wider audience) ESPN stopped becoming a beacon for sports insight and transitioned into a hype with more shows with nitwits yelling at each other instead of arguing facts. Clayton was a good quality sports reporter - he didn't belong there anymore. When Rex Ryan is your color guy you know you are more about personality and less about substance.

The NFL while catering to a wider audience has become more about scoring and fantasy football stats than real football anymore, but so far, the die hard fans are still watching while expanding the appeal.

As far as NFL coverage is concerned, ESPN has too much competition from the NFL channel and the internet; Instead of sticking to their strengths, they tried to compete head on with the FOX NFL and they just couldn't. They will go the way of the dinosaur soon enough.

1 hour ago, bostonmajet said:

ESPN was the premiere sports network back in the day when die hard fans watched the Super Bowl for the game and halftime was just a normal length show filled with commentary about the actual game. In order to increase the $, the NFL has become a show where people host Super Bowl parties to watch the commercials and for stars to put on pyrotechnics and sing along.

In order to compete (and drive a wider audience) ESPN stopped becoming a beacon for sports insight and transitioned into a hype with more shows with nitwits yelling at each other instead of arguing facts. Clayton was a good quality sports reporter - he didn't belong there anymore. When Rex Ryan is your color guy you know you are more about personality and less about substance.

The NFL while catering to a wider audience has become more about scoring and fantasy football stats than real football anymore, but so far, the die hard fans are still watching while expanding the appeal.

As far as NFL coverage is concerned, ESPN has too much competition from the NFL channel and the internet; Instead of sticking to their strengths, they tried to compete head on with the FOX NFL and they just couldn't. They will go the way of the dinosaur soon enough.

That's the real reason ESPN has fallen apart. NFLN and MLBN are just better plus the big market teams have their own local cable networks like YES and NESN

5 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

How does an "Insider" get laid off? lol. 

So ESPN has no use for a guy like Clayton who simply reports things with zero BS and has a sense of humor about himself (and is a metalhead). But Screaming A Smith, who has nothing really substantive to say at all, he will be employed forever. Again, Steven A. Smith after the Doug Brien game posited the Jets should have tried to kick a FG on 3rd down so if it was no good they could try again on 4th. 

And to back up T0m, the way you get information from the day ESPN exploded with Georgetown/Princeton in 1989 has changed completely. ESPN's response to those changes was to double down on stupid instead of keeping up with the technology. Could have chosen to be the leader in web-based sports information, but it required less BS and more tech savvy. Instead they opted for panel shows catering to idiots who are home all day. Really who wants to advertise to "Jerry" and "Maury" waking and baking leftovers beyond the Flexseal guy and catheters? As an aside, imagine being an actor offered a role in a catheter commercial; "Yeah, Tom, sorry about not getting that bit part as a hotel clerk in "Fast & Furious 26" , but I do have an offer for a medical product ad that will pay!". 

It really comes down to money;their NFL rights fee may be  bad, but the NBA fee arrangements are absurd.  NOBODY is going to make money broadcasting awful NBA games at these prices. The deal was signed under the belief that the NBA would overtake MLB as the #2 sports property. While MLB has foundered, nobody really grasped that technology and television were changing in ways that made sports properties less valuable. There are so many options for your entertainment dollar in your home that simply were not there before.  An NBA broadcast on ABC(same company, same contract)  on Saturday March 4th was outrated by a nondescript boxing match on CBS. Also, marginal NCAA games outdrew NBA games on ESPN and ABC. These have not been exceptions but the new reality. There is a real problem here with competitiveness; nobody needed to watch 8 months of preliminaries to get to this Finals. Now I admit I am not an NBA fan(would sooner watch Calgary Flames/Anaheim Ducks Tuesday in January game without  a 2nd thought, but I am not the target demo) , but I can respect the talent, hard work and athleticism of many of these players. But frankly there are an awful lot of NBA games from October through May  that aren't much more than exhibitions. ESPN has built their whole programming around an awful product. 

On 5/31/2017 at 4:26 PM, southparkcpa said:

Clearly a strategic move...needed to open up cap space for WNBA announcers and all other non traditional sports that the average 20 to 65 year old male never watches. 

Have you seen ESPN do baseball??? It's unwatchable.   They talk all night about personal things.....then cut back to the game.

unwatchable. 

i am razor close to dropping ESPN. Problem is, it comes in a package. Can't drop just ESPN. 

Just don't watch it. You don't watch like 200 channels you get now. Make it 201. 

On 5/31/2017 at 11:35 PM, predator_05 said:

+111032048204820

Getting really bored of this 'ESPN IS LOSING SUBSCRIBERZ BECAUSE OF POLITICS' shtick.

1. Their competitors, FS1 have taken bigger losses. Cord cutting en masse.

2. 90% of ESPN content is 'hot take' oriented. It has to be, because highlights and scores are accessible at the tap of a finger. TV is for the older generation.

3. ESPN is a multi-million dollar company and a media institution, they know the pulse of the country better than most. They have a younger group of commentators that can reach a number of different demographics. Its not being 'liberal', its good business sense.

4. Politics affects sport, whether you like it or not. They can't ignore the elephant in the room, especially when players draw attention to issues affecting their communities.

I stopped watching ESPN's non-live sports programming because of their politics. Used to love Around the Horn and Pardon the Interruption until they became outlets for sports writers' political leanings. Did you know that Wilbon grew up on the South Side of Chicago? I did, he told me so about 4700 times. 

On 5/31/2017 at 11:35 PM, predator_05 said:

+111032048204820

Getting really bored of this 'ESPN IS LOSING SUBSCRIBERZ BECAUSE OF POLITICS' shtick.

1. Their competitors, FS1 have taken bigger losses. Cord cutting en masse.

2. 90% of ESPN content is 'hot take' oriented. It has to be, because highlights and scores are accessible at the tap of a finger. TV is for the older generation.

3. ESPN is a multi-million dollar company and a media institution, they know the pulse of the country better than most. They have a younger group of commentators that can reach a number of different demographics. Its not being 'liberal', its good business sense.

4. Politics affects sport, whether you like it or not. They can't ignore the elephant in the room, especially when players draw attention to issues affecting their communities.

I stopped watching ESPN's non-live sports programming because of their politics. Used to love Around the Horn and Pardon the Interruption until they became outlets for sports writers' political leanings. Did you know that Wilbon grew up on the South Side of Chicago? I did, he told me so about 4700 times. 

Surprised at the response to this, to me it's a simple purging of the old guard, when the newscasters become the news it's time to go = Clayton had a good run, time to enjoy life

It would be nice to see other major networks follow ESPN,  some of these talking heads should be rotated every few years - let them provide the facts and allow the people to form our own opinions, I do not care what mike1 and mike2 think, unless there is a special skill or information needed they could be anyone

and we get plenty of different (and real) viewpoints here on JetNation :)

Surprised at the response to this, to me it's a simple purging of the old guard, when the newscasters become the news it's time to go = Clayton had a good run, time to enjoy life It would be nice to see other major networks follow ESPN,  some of these talking heads should be rotated every few years - let them provide the facts and allow the people to form our own opinions, I do not care what mike1 and mike2 think, unless there is a special skill or information needed they could be anyone and we get plenty of different (and real) viewpoints here on JetNation

He was a fringe reporter. Cutting Berman or Kornheiser(sp) ... now that would say something to your point. Clayton was a better beat writer than either of them.

Mike and Mike are powder puff fluff radio people .. i can't listen to them ... Ross Tucker, Solomon Wilkots and other morning NFL network guys are what i like to listen to.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

17 hours ago, Jet9 said:

I know. Many changed the channel because they were sick of hearing political opinions, and that's fine.

Think about it from the broadcaster's point of view: how are they supposed to avoid politics if the players themselves are discussing those topics? We didn't have social media before; it was impossible to know what people are thinking. Now, every player can voice an opinion on something or another, and be heard by millions. Twitter itself has made sports reporting redundant to an extent; there is no need to have that bridge between fans and players.

So what has sports reporting been reduced to? 'analysis', or fresh hot takes. I don't need ESPN reporters to tell me what so and so is thinking; i can hear them directly. Just tell me what i'm supposed to make of this. If a guy like LeBron makes a comment on the treatment African Americans, how can you possibly analyse that without mentioning politics? Players are becoming more and more outspoken, and better informed, so the media has no option but to follow suit. You need a different type of journalist to work in this new environment.

It sucks, but that's the way it is. Sports media, ESPN or otherwise is basically just; live action & hot takes. Highlights, press conferences, interviews, replays, etc. aren't needed anymore.

Archived