Mehta!: Behind the scenes when they drafted Hack (Spoiler alert--Source drops it in Macc's lap)

T0mShane

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Wentz could still be a bust.  He looked ok first half his rookie year and was bad second half.  I would easily take Hackenberg over any qb from this year's draft class and a loser like Mike Glennon

For a modern NFL team, Mahomes in round 1 and Kizer in round 2 were the better picks than the safeties the Jets picked.  There were safeties in rounds 3 and below too.

27 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

So we are completely writing off Hack at this point?

What if we draft Darnold and he looks clueless his first few games?

Eli looked as bad Hack has for quite a bit of time before he became OK.  People literally wondered if Peyton could ever read defenses his rookie year.

And quite a few people thought Hack was a strong prospect, and some thought he was undraftable.

So, there is no issue with the pick. Now if the entire Jets FO has decided that Hack is a lost cause, and not just Bowles, and our only solution was to just bring in McClown, they should both be fired today.

To be honest, the Jets FO should never have agreed to bring in McClown for Bowles knowing what he is. We should have brought in 2 additional rookie QBs, like Sloter or Cooper Rush and had a real competition.

Eli never looked as bad as Hack.  Hack currently looks really bad.  He needs a good game this week.

McCown was signed because the Jets thought Hack was going to be ok but wanted someone half decent to back him up.  It was only after the draft and OTAs that the tank was fully embraced by the people way upstairs.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I am absolutely convinced that Hackenberg did not get playing time last year because the Jets were afraid of how it would look. 
Don mentioned Accorsi who threw Manning into the fire when the Giants were 5-4. Now Manning was a better product but they were not afraid of failure

The Jets are afraid of failure. And it's actually a self fulfilling prophesy.

Is this a bit? The Jets are more comfortable with failure than any team in professional sports.

Just now, dbatesman said:

Is this a bit? The Jets are more comfortable with failure than any team in professional sports.

No they are not. They are afraid of failure which leads to failure. Because they blow with the wind too much. They are so reactionary because they are afraid of failure/bad press that they end up failing anyway

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

I think we are in good hands with Mac.  90% of his draft picks have been excellent -- much better than Idzik who buried a hole for him with the 2014 draft.  I'd take either Petty or Hack over Wentz or even Prescott

5 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

he's expert trolling.  you slowly move up the comments.  starts small and then get to a whopper.  well played.

Thank you.  I am not savvy to the methods of expert trolls.  That was my last response to his posts anyway.  Clearly not worth my time.

39 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

All of the experts have said this guy is the next Brian Dawkins but better

What round was Brian Dawkins drafted?  Find me a safety drafted 6th overall or earlier that Adams can be the next version of, then I would be able to tell you if the pick was worth it.

46 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

So we are completely writing off Hack at this point?

What if we draft Darnold and he looks clueless his first few games?

Eli looked as bad Hack has for quite a bit of time before he became OK.  People literally wondered if Peyton could ever read defenses his rookie year.

And quite a few people thought Hack was a strong prospect, and some thought he was undraftable.

So, there is no issue with the pick. Now if the entire Jets FO has decided that Hack is a lost cause, and not just Bowles, and our only solution was to just bring in McClown, they should both be fired today.

To be honest, the Jets FO should never have agreed to bring in McClown for Bowles knowing what he is. We should have brought in 2 additional rookie QBs, like Sloter or Cooper Rush and had a real competition.

I have been on the record as having not written off Goff.  He put some quality college tape out there.  With below average offensive talent and OL around him, no less.  Everyone's favorite excuse for Hack.

I wouldn't write off Darnold after a few starts either.

However, Hack is a total waste of time, money, effort, and a roster space.  So yes, I am writing him off.

I GUARANTEE you would not defend him if he was a 6th or 7th round pick. Or undrafted, like he should have been.

Did you stick up for Tajh Boyd? Or Greg McElroy? Erik Ainge? Bollinger?

Hack's performance thus far warrants the practice squad, at best.  Not patience.

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

http://www.nydailynews.com/amp/sports/football/jets/happened-day-jets-drafted-christian-hackenberg-article-1.3450117

“When the Texans traded up …” one team insider said. “I don’t want to say it spooked him, but it made him want to go ahead and take Hackenberg.”

So, he did.

It’s fair to wonder about the wisdom of a move that has yielded no tangible returns.

I think is where Macc gets himself fired.  

He panicked because the Texans, who knew Hack, who don't have a QB, traded up.

But those same Texans did not draft him.  They drafted a center.  

That should have told Macc that Hack was dropping, not rising.

20 minutes ago, varjet said:

McCown was signed because the Jets thought Hack was going to be ok but wanted someone half decent to back him up.  It was only after the draft and OTAs that the tank was fully embraced by the people way upstairs.

I dont fundamentally agree with that. After listening to Bates yesterday and Bowles, I think McClown was brought in at $6 million to be the starter. Period. There was never any real thought of a competition. The last couple weeks were purely about covering their butts if McClown gets hurt,

1 minute ago, Philc1 said:

Ed Reed

Ed Reed was drafted 24th overall 2 spots after we picked Bryan Thomas.  Again find me a safety drafted 6th or earlier.

FTR Adams has absolutely no chance of being Ed Reed.  His ceiling is Brian Dawkins or Landon Collins if we are lucky, 2 2nd round picks BTW.

3 minutes ago, legler82 said:

Ed Reed was drafted 24th overall 2 spots after we picked Bryan Thomas.  Again find me a safety drafted 6th or earlier.

FTR Adams has absolutely no chance of being Ed Reed.  His ceiling is Brian Dawkins or Landon Collins if we are lucky, 2 2nd round picks BTW.

Wow you already know the future.  What will the weather be like tommorow

8 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Wow you already know the future.  What will the weather be like tommorow

Not a meteorologist but I know a little football.  Enough to know that Adams will be spending most of his time closer to the LOS than center field.  So even if he had the skill set of Ed Reed, which he doesn't, he wouldn't even get the chance to be the next Ed Reed.

46 minutes ago, legler82 said:

If you know what the f*ck you are doing, a rebuild should not take that long. 

Well it only started a few months ago, so I don't think it's been that long.

27 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I dont fundamentally agree with that. After listening to Bates yesterday and Bowles, I think McClown was brought in at $6 million to be the starter. Period. There was never any real thought of a competition. The last couple weeks were purely about covering their butts if McClown gets hurt,

No doubt. McCown was brought in to be the transitional starter. I'm sure they hoped Hackenberg would make a leap and seize the job but I don't think for a second that McCown wasn't the likely starter from the moment he was signed.

Feel the same way here about the last Mehta story...believable and relevant, but why in the world would anyone go to him instead of somebody else on the beat?  That's the only thing that makes me skeptical.

2 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Well it only started a few months ago, so I don't think it's been that long.

What happened to the "competitive rebuild" and "building through the draft" mantra that Mac was preaching when he was hired?  Was he waiting until they dumped all the vets before starting to draft talent?

2 minutes ago, legler82 said:

What happened to the "competitive rebuild" and "building through the draft" mantra that Mac was preaching when he was hired?  Was he waiting until they dumped all the vets before starting to draft talent?

After winning 10 games in his first season, it all fell apart last year when they tried to catch lightning in a bottle and now they're doing the right thing.  Took a shot and missed, now tear it all down and start over.  Rebuild started about 8 months ago and a game has yet to be played.

2 minutes ago, Ken Shroy said:

It is what it is now. After this season, they will all be swept out anyway.

Not if they over-achieve and the rooks impress.  Woody said playoffs aren't a mandate which they shouldn't be in a re-building season.

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

So, Maccagnan thought that O'Brien--who had just traded ahead of the Jets in Round Two--was going to take Hack, then O'Brien didn't draft Hack, but Macc was so rattled by this he drafted Hackenberg even though they thought he'd still be around in Round Three or Four? 

NO ONE DENIES THIS

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Wentz could still be a bust.  He looked ok first half his rookie year and was bad second half.  I would easily take Hackenberg over any qb from this year's draft class and a loser like Mike Glennon

Does that include Trubisky??:o

12 minutes ago, AFJF said:

After winning 10 games in his first season, it all fell apart last year when they tried to catch lightning in a bottle and now they're doing the right thing.  Took a shot and missed, now tear it all down and start over.

That should have nothing to do with drafting well.  It's like you are implying that Mac was d*cking around with the draft when he thought we had a chance to win but now that we're "torn it down", he will take it seriously.  If he was drafting well from the start, he would not need another 3-4 year to complete a rebuild.  4 out of the top 5 best players on the current roster are from a prior regime.  After 3 off seasons you would hope at least that half of those were acquired by Mac.

Just now, legler82 said:

That should have nothing to do with drafting poorly.  It's like you are implying that Mac was d*cking around with the draft when he thought we had a chance to win but now that we're "torn it down", he will take it seriously.  If he was drafting well from the start, he would not need another 3-4 year to complete a rebuild.  4 out of the top 5 best players on the current roster are from a prior regime.  After 3 off seasons you would hope at least that half of those were acquired by Mac.

His first draft class has yet to take a snap in their third season.  I'll wait to see how they all develop.  Many of them have shown flashes, now it's up to the coaching staff to continue developing them.

1 hour ago, legler82 said:

What round was Brian Dawkins drafted?  Find me a safety drafted 6th overall or earlier that Adams can be the next version of, then I would be able to tell you if the pick was worth it.

There is only 1, and may he RIP.

The problem isn't that Macc took Hack in the 2nd round.  If you think a QB prospect is a franchise talent, you take him in any round you think you can get him.  The problem is that Macc thought Hack was a franchise talent to begin with.

There were reports that some teams didn't have Hack on their draft board and those that did had him in the 4th to 6th round range.  Those teams obviously didn't view him as a franchise talent, but someone either worthy of a flier or a camp invite.  That disparate view between Macc and other NFL talent evaluators is what is troubling. 

Archived