Sign in to follow this  
DMan77

Report: 2 teams asked about Petty this summer

8 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Serious question for the tank crowd. Do you want Petty to play? Sounds like he will lead the team to a 12 and 3 record if he starts the rest of the way. That is bad right?

Yes, I do. If he plays and takes us to 8-8 and looks good, then perhaps we don't need to draft a QB high. If he plays and sucks, then we still finish with a high draft pick.

Win-win.

Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
14 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Serious question for the tank crowd. Do you want Petty to play? Sounds like he will lead the team to a 12 and 3 record if he starts the rest of the way. That is bad right?

I want him to play because I believe there is a chance for him to have a future in the NFL.  He could fall somewhere between these two Matts; Matt Moore and Matt Hasselbeck.  Even if Petty can play at a serviceable level, the Jets ceiling is still 3 wins. 

Hack is a waste of a roster spot.  McCown is a waste of time as a starter, but NOT a wasted roster spot.

If you want to see whether or not the Jets have starting caliber NFL receivers, it has to be Petty in order to find out.  The Jets also find out if they have a real bridge-the-gap QB, and/or a quality backup.