Sanchez. Sanchez. Sanchez

SMC

Hey, there are other venting threads so let me have mine. And, this is my first thread on the new board. :D

We can talk about 2nd (Brunell, who'll never see the field) or 3rd string (McKnight) all we want. The No. 1 defense has played well this preseason as has the STs.

Other good teams have had bad records in the preseason, so the final score in these games is irrelevant.

How the starting QB reads opposing defenses, whether he throws into double or triple coverage, or misses receivers by a couple of feet isn't irrelevant.

It doesn't matter if it's preseason, week 6, or the playoffs. These are fundamental things that the starting QB must succeed in.

It all comes down to Sanchez. That's another reason why the "pay Revis $160 million so we can get to the SB" are so off the mark. Sanchez's play will decide whether this team makes it to the SB or not. Revis is ultimately irrelevant.

Sanchez is still only starting his 2nd year, but what frustrates people is that they see him making the SAME mistakes as he did in his poor rookie season. And don't sugarcoat it: he was pad in the regular season and was good in the postseason.

This is not to predict whether Sanchez will or won't be good. We don't know and his strong work ethic is his best asset. But until Sanchez makes the leap to consistently good NFL QB the Jets won't get to, let alone win a SB.

The exception doesn't prove the rule. We can't look to the aberration so the 2000 Ravens as a guide. Remember, the 1985 Bears and 2002 Bucs with their great defenses had probowl QBs those seasons.

2010 is ALL about Sanchez.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Banking on a second-year QB just isn't smart.

This team will win because of a suffocating defense and grinding running game — not Sanchez.

What did Marty say on "Hard Knocks?"

"If you can get them (second-year QBs) back to the same level, you made progress."

Yeah, soooooooooooo . . .

It usually takes 3 years, more often 4 for a QB to develop. And by develop I mean just throwing 3500 yards, 22 TD 12 INTish seasons. Look over stats for even someone like Drew Brees, he didn't really put it together until he got to the Saints, which was about his 5th or 6th year I believe.

It usually takes 3 years, more often 4 for a QB to develop. And by develop I mean just throwing 3500 yards, 22 TD 12 INTish seasons. Look over stats for even someone like Drew Brees, he didn't really put it together until he got to the Saints, which was about his 5th or 6th year I believe.

Drew Brees was awesome before he came to the Saints. Just sayin'.

KC works just as hard as Sanchez. If work ethic is the key than go with KC because he works just as hard and is more experienced.

Truth is that Sanchez just isn't that good. All these sexually frustrated fans want to imagine themselves living his sex life and so they get worked up about the new Broadway Joe. And then he goes out with Meadow Soprano. And he orders the Meatlover's pizza. I get it, your a middle aged married man who hasn't had a good night in the sack in years. Fine, but keep that separate from sports. Truth is if Sanchez keeps going like this in five years he will be an aerobics instructor.

Banking on a second-year QB just isn't smart.

This team will win because of a suffocating defense and grinding running game — not Sanchez.

^^^^^This^^^^^

Look, I love Mark Sanchez. Love his upside, love how he seems to have the "it" factor at times, love his passion, love it all. But, the fact of the matter is, we wouldn't have even sniffed the playoffs last year if it wasn't for the defense and running game.

Putting it all on Sanchez, this early in his career won't work, and certainly won't help him.

I'm seriously frustrated that the management fooled around with the o-line, the running backs and now Revis.

A superbowl team is rarely about one guy. It's about the mix.

I hate that they're trying to fix what ain't broken.

Perhaps Sanchez will be the quarterback that can carry it all in time, but it's highly unlikely. Brady and Manning in their superbowl winning years relied heavily on others as well.

It's WAY too soon to dump it all on him right now.

The Jets didnt put pressure on Sanchez last year as a rookie and it worked. I would love it if the offense just wasnt so predictable. you can be conservative without telling the defense what you're going to do. it's still the pre-season though, so we'll see how this plays out.

1. Season does not rest on Sanchez. If it did, then how the hell did we get to the AFC championship game last year, with him throwing twice as many INTs as TDs? What has changed from last year to this that makes us MORE reliant on him?

2. Sanchez is not bad. He's had a rough but entirely predictable rookie campaign, followed by a rough training camp. So what? I disliked the Sanchez pick originally, so I find it funny that I'm the one that has to defend him now. Someone else made a Grossman analogy on another thread. I remember in year 3 for Eli Manning, I started comparing him to Grossman. Now I have egg on my face for that, as Eli is a very competent QB. At the time, Eli really WAS bad. Sanchez probably will develop just fine..

Mark Sanchez is not at fault here. We're just calling the wrong plays.

On the realz I hope he mans up...If I pretend Hard Knocks has taught me anything it's that I think Sanchez is a year of struggle away...I say a year but really that depends on how manly he plans to be when he mans up. It could take a week if he goes into the Arctic and tears a polar bear in half or something similar.

The thing that worries me is that he NEVER looks good throwing to the 2nd or 3rd receiver in the progression unless it's a broken play. Most of his success has come on quick hits and short stuff - dumps to Keller, Bob Hayes to Cotchery, quick slant or hook to Holmes. Even last year when people praised him for "looking off the DB" he still threw it to the initial choice. For all the blasting of Schotty, Sanchez should know the O by now and IMO this is really handcuffing the passing game.

Sanchez has looked like trash and needs to grow up some which I think he will in due time. But I put ALL the blame on SCHOTTY his play calling is attrocious, 5 wide on 3rd and 2, these gay half assed playaction passes where Sanchez just puts the ball down for a split second but at the same time takes his eyes off the defensive coverage, (at this point in Sanchez's career he should either be selling PA or not doing it at all), all the unsuccesful motions that just put 3 WR's in the same 5 yard patch of field (see Sanchez's int last night there were 3 WR's in the exact same area and 1 for the rest of the field how does that make sense, its like playing the game in a phone booth) the sooner Rex pulls Schotty's play calling for Callahan the sooner the Jets can get moving toward there goal of the super bowl, unfortunatly it probably wont be till next season.

I would say 75% of the time last night watching the game I was like what the hell kind of play call was that, if some of us here understand what a bad play call or series is how does this guy not, hand the ball off to Greene and LT with some sprinkled hard selling PA on first down, and quick slants and lets go score 20 points and win 20-10 thats the way it should be plain and simple.

The thing that worries me is that he NEVER looks good throwing to the 2nd or 3rd receiver in the progression unless it's a broken play. Most of his success has come on quick hits and short stuff - dumps to Keller, Bob Hayes to Cotchery, quick slant or hook to Holmes. Even last year when people praised him for "looking off the DB" he still threw it to the initial choice. For all the blasting of Schotty, Sanchez should know the O by now and IMO this is really handcuffing the passing game.

All of this is what he did in college.

Rex said he wanted Sanchez because of his performance in private workouts. Would have been nice if he watched game tape.

I completely agree. The Jets can only go as far as the QB and if he is no good the team is going nowhere. The last two weeks have been real big disappointments. Yes you can live with mistakes in the preseason, but Mark is making some of those same throws he made last year that got him in trouble. If the DBs actually held onto the football he would probably have 5 interceptions by now. I do think he looks better in the pocket and more poised, but last night he locked onto his guys forever before checking down which led to no gain plays that should have at least gone for 3 or 4 yards. The Jets better work on these problems to get the team ready for week 1.

All of this is what he did in college.

Rex said he wanted Sanchez because of his performance in private workouts. Would have been nice if he watched game tape.

Yeah, they probably expected him to overcome it with "maturity".

They could still be successful with pre-snap adjustments, if the identifies mismatches, etc, but it's not going to be Joe Montana.

It all comes down to Sanchez. That's another reason why the "pay Revis $160 million so we can get to the SB" are so off the mark. Sanchez's play will decide whether this team makes it to the SB or not. Revis is ultimately irrelevant.

I disagree. Sanchez is who he is. He is a second year QB, with very limited college experience. But how many ints he throws this year is going to depend in large part on whether Revis is on the team or not.

If the Jets are up 9-3, Rex/Shotty can give Mark the red light, tell him to hand off the ball or pass the ball to the check down reciever. With maybe an occasional overthrown deep ball to keep the DB downfield. The goal isn't to score points, but move the chains and keep the clock running cause if the score doesn't change the Jets win.

If the Jets are down 21-9, Rex/Shotty must give Mark the green light. He must throw the ball down the field, score, get the ball back and score again. This means more pressure on Mark, more passing, more mistakes, more int, more fumbles, more pick 6s.

The Jets are not going to win the superbowl on Mark's arm or in a shootout with the final score being 48-45 like you might see in a Colts-Patriots or Vikings-Saints game, Jets are much more likely to win a game 13-9, where the only Jets TD was score was a result of turnover.

Jets season is more dependant on Revis coming back than some weird hope that Sanchez morphs into Brady or Manning or even Pennington in the next two weeks.

Drew Brees was awesome before he came to the Saints. Just sayin'.

This is true.

Brees looked average for a couple years in SD, then they drafted Rivers... and Brees came out I think in his 4th year and looked AWESOME.

1. Season does not rest on Sanchez. If it did, then how the hell did we get to the AFC championship game last year, with him throwing twice as many INTs as TDs? What has changed from last year to this that makes us MORE reliant on him?

I don't think we can rely on facing a team with nothing to play for in game 15 again...

The thing here is that everyone has SB aspirations, and Sanchez has to play a lot better then last year to get there.

Im afraid to see what happens against Baltimore.

I was looking forward to seeing a nice defensive game, but I DO NOT want to see Nacho throw 5 picks or some sh*t like that.

He needs to manage the damn game, thrown dinks and dunks and suprise the D with a long one here and there...It sucks cause we have all these damn weapons.

I also agree it's all about Sanchez.. Potentially with revis we *could* field a defense dominant enough to carry us, but without him there's no chance.

Also, you guys need to relax. He's pretty much playing right now as you should've imagined. No matter how many times people said it's highly unlikely a guy with his collegiate profile was going to dominant early in his career (if at all), you guys insisted on attaching super human expectations to him. Anyone expecting 3500 yds and 22/10 td/int have been fooling themselves from day 1. More likely, he'll be uneven, have some good games that flash potential and some other games where he looks a lot closer to matt leinart then he does carson palmer.

I also agree it's all about Sanchez.. Potentially with revis we *could* field a defense dominant enough to carry us, but without him there's no chance.

Also, you guys need to relax. He's pretty much playing right now as you should've imagined. No matter how many times people said it's highly unlikely a guy with his collegiate profile was going to dominant early in his career (if at all), you guys insisted on attaching super human expectations to him. Anyone expecting 3500 yds and 22/10 td/int have been fooling themselves from day 1. More likely, he'll be uneven, have some good games that flash potential and some other games where he looks a lot closer to matt leinart then he does carson palmer.

I'm not as worried about Sanchez as I am about the lack of pass protection that is causing him to play so meh-THAT'S where it all starts. He hasn't had any time except the times he rolls out to his right-he's taking way too many shots Chan-he'll never even make it to the Miami game at this rate

I'm not as worried about Sanchez as I am about the lack of pass protection that is causing him to play so meh-THAT'S where it all starts. He hasn't had any time except the times he rolls out to his right-he's taking way too many shots Chan-he'll never even make it to the Miami game at this rate

I'm more worried about his damn shoulder. I've watched the hit now several times and he grabs at that shouler right away. I know he said he was fine, but I'm sure they mri that shoulder. I hope all is well. The pass protection has been poor all pre season. Ducasse gave up that hit on Mark. If Mark pulled a Pennington, I will cry.

Hey, there are other venting threads so let me have mine. And, this is my first thread on the new board. :D

We can talk about 2nd (Brunell, who'll never see the field) or 3rd string (McKnight) all we want. The No. 1 defense has played well this preseason as has the STs.

Other good teams have had bad records in the preseason, so the final score in these games is irrelevant.

How the starting QB reads opposing defenses, whether he throws into double or triple coverage, or misses receivers by a couple of feet isn't irrelevant.

It doesn't matter if it's preseason, week 6, or the playoffs. These are fundamental things that the starting QB must succeed in.

Sanchez is still only starting his 2nd year, but what frustrates people is that they see him making the SAME mistakes as he did in his poor rookie season. And don't sugarcoat it: he was pad in the regular season and was good in the postseason.

This is not to predict whether Sanchez will or won't be good. We don't know and his strong work ethic is his best asset. But until Sanchez makes the leap to consistently good NFL QB the Jets won't get to, let alone win a SB.

The exception doesn't prove the rule. We can't look to the aberration so the 2000 Ravens as a guide. Remember, the 1985 Bears and 2002 Bucs with their great defenses had probowl QBs those seasons.

Great post. The only thing I'd add is this: Schottenheimer looks to be doing as good a job developing Sanchez as he did in developing Kellen Clemens, and Clemens may have been a more refined passer coming out of college.

Sanchez is holding the ball way too long, Jimmy. He looks indecisive out there, even when guys are clearly open. We sat in the end zone last night, and there were plays to be had there but Sanchez clearly had no confidence in making any throw out there, other than the sideline out route to Braylon. It looks like he'd double-clutching everything.

Sanchez is holding the ball way too long, Jimmy. He looks indecisive out there, even when guys are clearly open. We sat in the end zone last night, and there were plays to be had there but Sanchez clearly had no confidence in making any throw out there, other than the sideline out route to Braylon. It looks like he'd double-clutching everything.

I'm telling you TS-I believe he has gotten into bad work habits by having to face Rex's defense every day...the initial reads are never there so he's becoming a happy footed QB on every play. You play as you practice and right now all he ever sees open in camp are slants to Keller and dump offs to LT. We're seeing him miss the WR's by 5 yards on anything down the field...

I'm telling you TS-I believe he has gotten into bad work habits by having to face Rex's defense every day...the initial reads are never there so he's becoming a happy footed QB on every play. You play as you practice and right now all he ever sees open in camp are slants to Keller and dump offs to LT. We're seeing him miss the WR's by 5 yards on anything down the field...

Good point. That may explain the complete lack of confidence he has going on there. He's not even close the the QB he was at the end of last season. It's really terrible. What's scary is that he's picked up a lot of the same habits as Clemens--hesitancy, squeezing the ball, confusion, lack of confidence, etc. And Clemens are Sanchez were both the cocky gunslinger type coming out of college. I'm convinced Schotty is killing these kids' brains.

Archived